Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Anniversary Bash 20

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Apr 14, 2018, 03:52 PM
Me being busy had little to do with the specific date. But it might make a difference for people who are tied to a university or school semester's planning, I suppose.

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

Apr 15, 2018, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
I didn't join this year and had other things going on at the time, so I never really looked at the final lists either.

That said, I don't think the level lists are the thing to focus on if the question is how this event could have been more successful. While compiling them is a good tradition, actually they aren't very important. It's nice to have lists of levels to run, but between mutators and JJ2+'s server admin commands they're guidelines at best (or should be).

The level lists may be able to create hype among people who make levels that have a chance of getting into them, but otherwise, meh. If the goal is to drum up some enthusiasm prior to and during the event, I think it would be more useful to focus on fun things everyone can enjoy. Interviews, retrospectives, maybe a small tournament or something. You don't even have to convince CliffyB or Arjan to answer questions, it would be fun to take a look at the stories behind famous levels or community figures or events as well. Maybe write a mutator that allows Jazz2Online visitors to influence the game somehow. Anything that actually offers people something fun to do that's not just playing the same levels they've been playing for 20 years, but in a slightly more busy server. That's an important part of the event, and I wouldn't advocate getting rid of it, but clearly it's not enough on its own.

Or don't change the formula and call it quits after 20 editions. It wouldn't be unreasonable. But I think we can still find ways to make it fun, it would just require doing a little more than just compiling a list of levels and hosting it for a few days.
I pretty much agree with Stijn here. The level lists were not that important to me either, although it's always an honor to see levels of mine getting chosen. I was satisfied with what we had in the end.

Why was the attendance so minor then? Maybe people just moved on and are no longer lurking around for the news, hard to tell. In the end I found it more exciting to play with other competitive players in Camel Duels rather than join an empty or almost empty (Jety) Bash server.

Tags
anniversary bash