Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Music Files for JJ2

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Aug 4, 2005, 07:57 AM
Oh yes, excellent idea. I can whip out my Top Gear and Knuckles Chaotix music.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005
fiendmm++

JCF Member

fiendmm++ is doing well so far

Aug 9, 2005, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JelZe GoldRabbit
Wav's and MP3's are completely different: they're both recordings of the sound the music makes; they don't rely on instruments or anything like that, but on the general proporties of sound waves: frequency, wavelength and amplitude. That's why wav's and MP3's are so frickin' large: sound waves are very complex to computer standards.
Actually Mp3's have mpeg encoding meaning the files are compressed and encoded, while wav's use a lossless rather than a lossy encoding.
I'm So HIGH all I smell like is smoke.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Aug 11, 2005, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiendmm++
Actually Mp3's have mpeg encoding meaning the files are compressed and encoded, while wav's use a lossless rather than a lossy encoding.
Your point being? JG was talking about the difference between MIDI files, module files (including .mod/.xm/.it/.s3m) and stream files (including .wav/.mp3/.ogg). Wave and MP3 files are similar in that they encode the entire audio stream in some way, while module files contain a bunch of short sound snippets and the instructions on how to play them.

You're also wrong, in that wave's do not necessarily use a lossless encoding. MP3 is a mpeg container format, generally containing audio compressed with mpeg-2 layer 3, while wave is a riff container format containing audio in many possible formats (uncompressed PCM, ADPCM, u-law, a-law, ogg, mp3, ac3 or whatever you want). Almost all wave formats are lossy, however waves usually use uncompressed PCM.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Aug 24, 2005, 05:37 AM
Sorry to revive the topic.

My first .mod file (apart from that lame one you learn in the tutorial...) is finally complete. Download it here!

And I shall call it... Owned in Tubelectric!

Trafton got in the credits!

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Aug 24, 2005, 05:46 AM
There's a really odd squeky sound in the mod, and it annoys me really badly! D=

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Aug 24, 2005, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmusic
There's a really odd squeky sound in the mod, and it annoys me really badly! D=
I know, fixed it with volume downs. Does anyone know how to avoid ^^ (Note cut) being changed into B-8 on every save???
Old Aug 24, 2005, 06:23 AM
ElectroPiZZa
This message has been deleted by ElectroPiZZa.

JCF Member

Aug 24, 2005, 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroPiZZa
The "^^" type of note cut is not supported in .MOD files (ECx is, though). Use C00 (effect) instead.

Also, if you want to preserve Amiga compatibility in a .MOD file you should set it to four channels and never go beyond the octave range of 4-6 (3-5 for some other trackers, 0-2 for ProTracker).
Yay! I can live again!