Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

Bug Report Unable to enter text in UI

Mormel

JCF Member

Mormel has disabled reputation

May 14, 2018, 06:01 PM
Unable to enter text in UI

Hello, I am new to this site and so happy that this game still gets love.
Bug: Cannot enter text into the UI at all. This includes: save names, player names, server names, level names, passwords
This only happens with the JJ2+ patch; vanilla enters the text fine
Weirdly enough backspace always works.
I have no controllers connected
Tested with
JJ2 1.24 (Gog JJ2+ version) Running on Windows 8.1
JJ2 1.23 with newest JJ2+ (Beta v 5.6 2018-02-27) on Windows 8.1
Edit:
Also tested now on Linux with wine and there I don't encounter this bug

Last edited by Mormel; May 15, 2018 at 07:17 AM. Reason: additional testing

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 15, 2018, 11:02 AM
Thanks for posting! Unfortunately I have to say this is not ringing any bells for me... I don't recall anyone experiencing this problem before, nor am I seeing any reason the JJ2+ code and the native JJ2 code would behave any differently in this regard. Here are some things you can try to narrow things down a bit more:
  • Does it make any difference whether you are running the game in a window or in full screen? You can press Alt+Enter to toggle between the two.
  • If you start a multiplayer game and press the T key, this should bring up a little "Chat:" prompt in the bottom left corner of the screen. Are you able to type anything into that prompt?
  • If all else fails, we keep a collection of older JJ2+ releases dating back to 2008, so you could try downloading some of them (you should only need to extract plus.dll and, when available, plus.j2a) and seeing if the problem existed in all those previous releases or if it was introduced at a specific point.

JCF Member

Mormel has disabled reputation

May 16, 2018, 04:24 PM
Thank you for the quick response.
Changing from fullscreen to windowed and back actually fixes the problem. Thank you
It seems to me, that this is a very obscure thing that isn't worth investigating.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 16, 2018, 04:40 PM
That's good to know! Though it's also possible that it affects more people than you and we just never hear about it because people don't play fullscreen too much.

JCF Member

G@vie is doing well so far

May 23, 2018, 03:21 PM
I know this is a late reply, but in case anyone else reads this topic in the future: I've had the exact same problem in the clean GOG JJ2+ release. It was fixed after I bumped up the resolution in the game's options screen, when I reverted my changes, typing continued to work.