Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

tell some of the levels what u are buiding and goning on j2o

LegendaryDreamer

JCF Member

LegendaryDreamer is notorious for his worthless posts

Nov 14, 2010, 05:24 PM
The only area of my newest level that is complete enough for a screenshot.

Name will be revealed when it's released.

Any comments? Suggestions? TexBG color?

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Nov 16, 2010, 12:01 AM
Aaaaaand another tileset.

For now, the set is called GenericSet, due to my inability to think of something unique. Anybody got any feedback, comments, or name suggestions?

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Nov 16, 2010, 01:16 AM
Looks good so far.

The geometric patterns in the ground remind me of the old Sonic games. You should add some more variation though - maybe take an idea from those games and use a similar style of eyecandy. Eg make parts that stick out or are indented: see this screenshot http://www.soniczone0.com/games/soni...hz-act2map.png

It would be quite easy to add tiles for that, it looks good, and it fits well with the sort of design you have going.

Oh, and in your first screenshot, those buildings in the background are far too bright. They look too similar to the floor, which means players might think they are masked. I would suggest darkening them or desaturating them, or both. You want your background to look good, but you also don't want it to stand out a bit less than the foreground, even if it's just a tiny bit. Right now they both use the same colour.

Last edited by EvilMike; Nov 16, 2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: I DID NOT MEAN TO SAY ASS

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Nov 16, 2010, 01:30 AM
It's very pretty! The main thing I think you have to work on is the ground... right now, it has the same color scheme (palette line?), brightness, and apparent size as the buildings in the background. It's more of a problem in the bottom area of the second screenshot where you don't have the rocky gray floor providing a clear boundary. You might want to soften the contrast on the buildings a bit, but either way, the ground needs a lot more structure and variety. Here's a mockup of one possibility:

Obviously you'd want to choose much better colors, that's just the general idea. Also you have a lot of room to play with holes in walls with inventive shapes, perhaps even with the edges receding into the background. Whatever the choice, though, variety is necessary.

ninja'd by mike. I do feel, though, that Palmtree Panic is a better reference than Green Hill Zone, since it uses the same pattern.

JCF Member

Cosmo is doing well so far

Nov 16, 2010, 01:59 AM
Wow , you guys are amazing ! This levels made revolution rating in j2o !

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Nov 16, 2010, 05:27 AM
I can only echo what Violet said. That looks really cool, but right now it's a bit too hard to see the difference between the ground you can stand on and background scenery you can't stand on. So you'd either need to make the solid ground brighter, or the background darker (or the other way around, but I can't imagine that looking good).

Nice palm tree, too. Is there a bigger version of it in the tileset as well?
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Nov 16, 2010, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
ass some more variation
It took me a full minute to realize you meant "add."

JCF Member

Toni should make better posts

Nov 16, 2010, 05:41 AM
Well, again you use blue background in your first version of tileset I really think it will be better if you use orange/yellow/brown or red colored background. It's on you to decide, this is good, too. But if you have time, check is it better with those colors what I wrote, up.

@minmay: lol! I didn't recognize what he wrote until you told that

JCF Member

Nov 16, 2010, 02:56 PM
Yeah, it was based more off Palmtree Panic rather than Green Hill Zone, but I understand what you're saying about variation. The bg still uses the same palette line as the normal ground, though I'll change that, and the cliffs are a placeholder.
So, is GenericSet an okay name?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:58 PM
LegendaryDreamer
This message has been deleted by LegendaryDreamer. Reason: bump
LegendaryDreamer

JCF Member

Nov 20, 2010, 09:40 PM
That tileset looks pretty good. That's all the feedback I have right now. I'd suggest a different name than GenericSet, though.

I'm going to re-post this picture so I can get feedback for my level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryDreamer View Post
The only area of my newest level that is complete enough for a screenshot.

Name will be revealed when it's released.

Any comments? Suggestions? TexBG color?
Also, I'm making a new Christmas level, for release with the Christmas Fun Pack (2008, for those who remember), when I'm finished modifying the levels.

I like the pun in the level name. It's supposed to be reminiscent to December Mist (one of the levels I was building but lost). The different layers of snow move at different speeds, so people online who don't see the Snow Particle effect will still see snow. The music is december.s3m. I had to modify the file to keep JJ2 from crashing because of it.
Special thanks to Troglobite for sending me the first three levels.
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Nov 20, 2010, 10:09 PM
Captured Win, in more ways than one.
LegendaryDreamer

JCF Member

Nov 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
At the top left, near the red base:

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Nov 21, 2010, 07:55 PM
I like the gems in the wall. The edge of the platform does look rather square and artificial, though.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left
LegendaryDreamer

JCF Member

Nov 21, 2010, 09:03 PM
It does kinda look artificial. I'll make sure to fix it as soon as I can. I also think the gems in the wall were a good idea.

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Nov 23, 2010, 01:56 AM
FireSworD

JCF Member

Nov 23, 2010, 05:23 AM
Looking good, but you have competition. :P

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Nov 23, 2010, 05:50 AM
Snooze not included.

JCF Member

djazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHARTdjazz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 2, 2010, 10:36 AM
Another level i made a while ago..

Yeah, have a shower. Or not.

Can be played in Domination or any other battle mode.
Level Packer v2 - With a GUI!
PHP Tileset Compiler

Last edited by djazz; Dec 2, 2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo

JCF Member

Zerg is doing well so far

Dec 25, 2010, 05:05 AM
http://img69.imageshack.us/i/hooorrorrrrr.png
I'm making this level

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Dec 25, 2010, 05:12 AM
^ Nice tileset.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Toni should make better posts

Dec 25, 2010, 05:52 AM
I knew, before looking at that image, that it's SE's tileset ^^

JCF Éminence Grise

Dec 27, 2010, 06:35 PM

they're synchronized oshiiiiiiiiiiiii

ETA: to clarify the reason this is a big deal: a synchronized vertical movement behavior, much less one with multiple syncs so the inner vs. outer columns go up and down at opposite times, does not occur in any JJ1 level and is not in fact documented by DD's behavior notes, but I had a feeling that it might exist anyway and I was right.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Dec 29, 2010 at 11:38 AM.

JCF Member

Dec 28, 2010, 12:58 AM
Every time you post a screenshot of SWAG, it makes it harder for me to wait for it.
Needless to say, it looks good.

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Jan 8, 2011, 09:10 PM
Gonna finish Trixi CTF...Pack of CTF symmetrical levels...I think it will be much better than my The Wy or Relaxing View but looks like i'm still far from enough good JCSer...Maybe to become best JCSer i need enter into my brain and search file: "Great JCSer"?

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jan 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Rabbit View Post
Gonna finish Trixi CTF...Pack of CTF symmetrical levels...I think it will be much better than my The Wy or Relaxing View but looks like i'm still far from enough good JCSer...Maybe to become best JCSer i need enter into my brain and search file: "Great JCSer"?
Enter Keyword: "Great JCSer"

Searching...

Error: Cannot enter into brains. Were you searching for a risky operation? We take no responsibilities for memory loss.

Okay, enough of that. Here's a screen of one medium-small battle level I'm making, and a crappish one. I have another cool battle level in the making other than these two, but it looks boring at the moment.

About the screen at the top, that was the true first level I worked on. But it took me a very long to time work on. The layout of it isn't that great though so I'm not sure if I should release it. Please note the bottom screen contains a very unfinished level.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 09:05 AM
Cosmo
This message has been deleted by Cosmo. Reason: ...
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:59 AM
Toni
This message has been deleted by Toni.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jan 13, 2011, 05:03 PM
You probably shouldn't make single player levels in one day!

A standard 256x64 level should take at least a week, unless you're fast or really know what you're doing.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:03 PM
EvilMike
This message has been deleted by EvilMike. Reason: double post

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jan 13, 2011, 11:37 PM
I hate Bubba, Schwartzenguard and Robot boss typical fights with Spaz, as every of them can be easily killed within a single sidekick. Hard to even call it a boss fight, it's rather pressing two buttons.

Use layer larger than 2x3 for the rain, it looks dull. Rain drops in real world aren't in straight lines. And the tilebugs, uh. Carrotus tileset just sucks in this matter. Even the official level designers didn't seem to be able to fully avoid them. However, those vine thingies on the top of the first screenshot look absolutely avoidable. Also, no eyecandy included.

What EvilMike says is true, however may still be useless when you're unexperienced, in which case you just stop after two days, believing your level has everything already and nothing can be added, so not imagining working on it for the next five days. Also, if it's one week strongly depends on the amount of free time during it. If you have all the weekend free and you work on your level all the time, with breaks only for meals, you can create a level in two days. If you're busy all the time, it can take a month as well. Also it strongly depends on the layout of a level and the type of eyecandy, and other things, I believe.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jan 14, 2011, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
And the tilebugs, uh. Carrotus tileset just sucks in this matter.
Indeed. This one and Psych as well. I remember, when I was reworking my single player levels (which STILL haven't been released, but that's not the point), Carrotus and Psych gave me the most work simply because I had to fix so many tilebugs I made when I just took those chunks of tiles as they were in the tileset and pasted them in highly repetitive patterns. Except they didn't fit all that well, especially on the edges. And at least in case of Carrotus it was a matter of replacing tiles, with Psych because of how the grass and slope tiles are designed I sometimes had to redesign portions of the level to make it look good.

At least Inferno clearly shows it's gonna give you one hell of a work...

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Jan 14, 2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGJ View Post
Indeed. This one and Psych as well. I remember, when I was reworking my single player levels (which STILL haven't been released, but that's not the point), Carrotus and Psych gave me the most work simply because I had to fix so many tilebugs I made when I just took those chunks of tiles as they were in the tileset and pasted them in highly repetitive patterns.
This is so true.

When I was making The Resistance, the story was based entirely on Carrotus which meant that I had to use the tileset. I had planned on two or three large levels that used the set, or some variation of it. This proved too annoying though, so I only made one large level and two small ones, with one of the small ones having fairly simple eyecandy (being a water level, I could get away with that). With the larger level, I went for a look that allowed me to take a more sparse, easy to build approach. Overall things turned out fine, but I did not enjoy making it and wound up cutting a lot of stuff.

Oh yeah, and I wound up using wartorn as well, which is also a very painful tileset to use. That level went from being planned as a full level, to being the scene of a boss fight and nothing more.

The moral of the story: don't plan big projects that include tilesets you hate using!

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 14, 2011, 09:22 PM
Use each tileset included so extensively that you'll never once have to use it again because there will be no remaining possibilities!

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2011, 01:22 AM
Each tileset included, as in the official tilesets?

I think pretty much all of them have been used to their fullest potential, at least by other people.

Also, I think there are some which I will never use extensively. Inferno, for example, is about as fun to use as it is to get teeth pulled. The remix/edit/whatever of it on j2o somehow makes it even worse.

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2011, 02:11 AM
Ah, this discussion just made me wanna post a Devil Dash screenshot :'D

Why is everything I have left to do so discouraging

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Jan 15, 2011, 02:20 AM
Quote:

Why is everything I have left to do so discouraging
Keep it up, if you can finish one level you can finish more. Your screenshots are always interesting.

Although, if you are *really* discouraged, you can do what I do: take what you have, adjust the story a bit, and release it as a complete pack. Out of the 5 episodes I released, I did that with 4 of them. Better to release something than nothing, I say.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 15, 2011, 03:56 AM
Quote:
For a while there I thought that was an edit of Damn with the Jungle spikes in
FireSworD

JCF Member

Jan 17, 2011, 04:24 AM
IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE LOOKING AT PICTURE BELOW:

I'm not really planning to finish this, and it's obviously very unfinished. Not much tiles, and tiles are in places where they shouldn't be. That said, the main reason I am posting this is for advice; I am hoping for helpful, understanding advice and reasonable crits. Please don't comment about its unfinished state, and try to think about the picture below logically.

This is an armory assault level. A team of players raid an armory to gather powerful weapons of each type, one type at a time. The weapons are default jj2 ammo (maybe shields too). Places are opened up by using weapons, instead of smashing crates, that is to ensure a logical progression that is also quite varied and non-linear.

The picture below shows a self-made tileset of my own, inspired from default jj2 sets like castle and tubelectric. I have a lot of control over the outcome, and making a new set comes with benefits, especially for assault.

Picture

Last edited by FireSworD; Feb 8, 2016 at 03:41 PM.

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

Jan 17, 2011, 04:35 AM
Seems interesting. What would be the main target? To blast off some reactor with TNT? Or a shield perhaps?
FireSworD

JCF Member

Jan 17, 2011, 04:39 AM
Not really sure at the moment, but probably not a reactor.

JCF Member

Jan 17, 2011, 08:12 AM
It's both an interesting concept, and a difficult one. See, normally in an assault as the attacking team completes objectives, they gain quick access to wherever the last objective was. However, as there's no triggers involved here apparently, the players would have to go all the way again to get back into action...

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Feb 3, 2011, 02:10 PM
Ever Story 2:

Trixi CTF:

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Feb 3, 2011, 02:36 PM
Why, in the name of everything wicked, would you ever play JJ2 in a maximized window???