Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

I have a problem with Jazz Jackrabbit 1

JustRob

JCF Member

JustRob is doing well so far

Aug 19, 2017, 02:16 PM
I have a problem with Jazz Jackrabbit 1

So I got an old machine with Windows 98 SE running on it, and a VIA AC'97 sound card. I got Jazz Jackrabbit to run using the TPPatch, ran the setup, and just selected Soundblaster Pro cuz my soundcard wasn't listed.

The music and sound both work, but the music is a little broken. It's a bit hard to explain, but somehow it doesn't play the complete track. For example, on the main menu theme, you know how eventually it goes into a higher pitch? Mine doesn't do that, it just repeats the first part over and over.

I don't know if anyone else has ever had this problem, but this is the only place I thought someone might be able to help.

Edit: Nevermind. I selected Sound Blaster Clone and now it works fine. Should have experimented a bit more before making this thread, sorry.
ionut

JCF Member

ionut is doing well so far

Aug 19, 2017, 03:25 PM
Hello ! I have been confronted with this problem in the past. I had a PC with windows xp and I had this problem with jazz 1 but I solved it. The solution is to select what is written below,, no sound card,, select one, save and exit, try to see if open the game if you do not try the next one and do the same. Good luck, it worked for me .If you can not let me know.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 24, 2017, 01:43 AM
From what I remember, using the original Sound Blaster (Mono) option was a great fallback solution too if games didn't play well with some different branded soundcards. Jazz's tracks sound surprisingly good in mono, actually. I often felt like the SB-16/Pro setting made the melody take away more volume from the drum/bass beats.

It could've been my flaky soundcard. It was the 90's and I don't remember well.