PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging reviews.

Fquist_old
Jul 10, 2001, 05:24 AM
J2o lacks reviews.. so I am wondering, would giving awards for good reviewers or loyal reviewers be a good idea? What kind of prize?

Some people really spend quite some effort at ruxor reviews. I want to award that. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

EvilMike
Jul 10, 2001, 10:11 AM
Didn't J2O used to have "official reviewers"? Maybie you could award that status to good reviewers.

Rumbo Rabbit
Jul 18, 2001, 07:41 AM
Yeah thats a good idea. We should have a selective group of reviewers for the stories in the war tavern and such. Also we should give rewards to war tavern story tellers as they deserve some credit (Im not just saying that as I am one of them http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif)

Rumbo

Newspaz
Jul 18, 2001, 11:51 AM
How about this. People visit the War Tavern a little less and start reviewing?

Fquist_old
Jul 18, 2001, 12:54 PM
Evilmike: in my experience that doesn't really encourage

Violet CLM
Jul 18, 2001, 02:15 PM
I'm not a good reviewer. I've reviewed 3 uploads! What do you expect of me?!?

Aiko
Aug 3, 2001, 01:22 PM
I like the idea because i also wrote some reviews.

Fquist_old
Aug 5, 2001, 12:50 PM
Last time you didn't want the status. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Hareoic
Aug 5, 2001, 02:02 PM
Rating: 8.95/10

I think the reason this thing isn't good is because there aren't enough smileys and you have to wait too long for somebody to continue something in the War Tavern as well as you don't get any rankings. If this place was somewhat more like BB (EXCEPT for spamming), then I'd give it a 10.

SteelTalon
Aug 11, 2001, 07:35 PM
Yeah, perks would be cool. Personnally I'd review more if there were also other reviewers reviewing (otherwise it kind've defeats the point), we got to have (small) images under our name, and got to have custom statuses and nifty stuff like that. Perhaps other bonuses like being able to give "brownie points" that add up and show up on the front page where it shows all the levels (or maybe even a script were all of the "advanced reviewers'" ratings were averaged and put alongside the real rating).

Fquist_old
Aug 12, 2001, 03:53 AM
Some good ideas.

What do you mean by brownie points?

Does anyone want a karma system for j2o?

Ice M A N
Aug 12, 2001, 05:21 AM
Karma system? Sorta like the way slashdot does it? Hmm.. that'd be interesting.. http://jazz2.nagcentral.com/forum/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I'd probably write a few reviews then..

Newspaz
Aug 12, 2001, 10:14 AM
Karma?

Monolith
Aug 12, 2001, 01:44 PM
It's where you vote on people or their write-ups, and that person gains/looses karma accordingly. (I think that's what he's thinking of..)

That might be interesting, but it won't make me personally write more reviews since I usually don't download the levels in the first place.

SteelTalon
Aug 14, 2001, 11:04 AM
Well, what I meant by brownie points was that in addition to your rating you could give a certain amount of points that just got added up and showed up by the rating (only by advanced users). Example (dates etc. are omitted):

Name of Level | Rating | Brownie Points

Example010101 | 8.6834 | 56

I then thought of a better idea - Advanced Ratings. It'd be another column where simply all "Advanced Raters" ratings were averaged. They'd go a little like this:

Name of Level | Rating | Advanced Rating

Example010101 | 8.6834 | 7.4

Now I have yet another idea that goes by the name of "Weight". The more reviews etc. a reviewer has the more "weight" they get. For instance, if both I and a newbie rated a level, it wouldn't be the exact average. It would be closer to my rating since I had more "weight". The only problem with implementing this would be fiddling around with mathematical equations to get the "weight" down right and dealing with members with different "weight" totals. Perhaps the weight would have to be preportional and would be calculated for each rating, maybe through a ranking of all the users.

The system that this would be based off of is still up to speculation, though. Whether it is based off of number of reviews or karma seems to be the issue as those are the only plausible alternatives to rank people by. My vote would be towards karma, as it is detailed in the upcoming thoughts.

I think karma should work identically to a level being reviewed, except obviously it is about a person. Perhaps people could have a "Karma Rating" right next to their name or under it.

Monolith: It sounds like we just need more levels in quality and quantity. ;P

Another general idea for improvement on J20 is for all of the tenths in each number be selectable. Possibly you could pick them in different columns - you pick your initial number and then you have another column listing the tenths in which the script adds each other together to get the level rating.

Also I would like to see level ratings displayed to the hundreths (maybe even thousandths, but anything past hundreths seems pretty ridiculous) visibly in the download area and everywhere else.

Hehe, once a long rater always a long rater - my rants are always long whether they're on levels or not, like now. ;)