PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember the JMMB?

CottonTail
Apr 25, 2003, 01:35 PM
It was so fun.Why did Jazz2city have to leave?

KRSplat
Apr 25, 2003, 01:39 PM
I remember the JMMB. J2C had to leave because it was too stressful on the webmasters, and they could no longer update it with an FTP program.

Trafton
Apr 25, 2003, 01:39 PM
I remember it existed, and that I used it quite a lot, but I do not remember exactly waht I posted. Which scares me. ;-P

J2C was shut down because the atmosphere was becoming too explosive, according to Dethman.

$tilettø
Apr 25, 2003, 01:50 PM
Yeah i remember it, I was there a month before it got closed down.

Batty Buddy
Apr 25, 2003, 02:47 PM
Que Passa!!!!

Ah, yes... I remember that...

The annual evil contests, "The Story Of Devan Shell", "Spaz Saves the World All By Himself With Nothing But Speed, Wits, and a Large Slice Of Cheesecake"... Ah such wonderful threads I made there...

I still miss the wonder of that old place.

Lark
Apr 25, 2003, 03:02 PM
I went there a couple times, downloaded levels, I probably didn't know what a forum was at the time. J2O is like a new J2C, even better maybe.

CottonTail
Apr 25, 2003, 03:53 PM
Wow,you made those,Batty?The spaz and cheescake one was the first thing i read there.And I remember you to!! ;)

4I Falcon
Apr 25, 2003, 03:59 PM
I remember going to Jazz2City a lot. I never visited the JMMB though.

In retrospect, I feel like an idiot.

Krezack
Apr 25, 2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by CottonTail

No durrrh.

Tubz
Apr 25, 2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by CottonTail

Well it was very fun. J2C was best Jazz site ever. And still is, J2S also died. Which was reallt great. We hope that eventually Wakeman will find JCF. And will tell us what's going on.

I remember JMMB. I had an account on there. I forgot what my name was though. I think it was JJ Tublear.

defalcon
Apr 25, 2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by JJ Tublear
We hope that eventually Wakeman will find JCF. And will tell us what's going on.
Who's we? Wakeman is already registered on the JCF, his account's older than yours afaik. ;P

He puruses the forum every so often, and he'll get the J2S archive up eventually. ;P

Hare
Apr 26, 2003, 07:04 AM
I wish that the J2C files were still available. It had the best music pack, and with it, almost every server that I went to had music, and I was certain that if I included one of the songs in a level, most everyone else could hear it, too.

I remember the JMMB, too... I pretty much only visited the art forum back then.... hmm, I also remember I was a lot more immature. :p ... Wow, that was my first message board, even. (That was back when I finally got an internet connection at home.)

KRSplat
Apr 26, 2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Trafton
J2C was shut down because the atmosphere was becoming too explosive, according to Dethman. That was the JMMB.

Fawriel
Apr 26, 2003, 08:19 AM
Nope, dun remember it.
Which could be because I never was there.

Lama
Apr 27, 2003, 03:24 AM
Of course I remember the JMMB! I even recently made two topics about it in the Misc forum.

Ninja Dodo
Apr 28, 2003, 03:48 AM
I remember Dethman closed it down saying it was lacking in christian values and everybody should go home and read their bible...

Yeah RIGHT!

I mean how patronizing is that? Like everyone is supposed to be a christian or something.

It used to be a nice place though...

Tik
Apr 28, 2003, 04:26 AM
The very subject of this thread is amusing. Most of the users of this forum came from the JMMB on J2C. I was there, but I remember almost nothing I posted, and I didn't post much, but I was there. Asking a question like 'Does anyone remember remember Epic's old Jazz Jackrabbit forum' would be a little more interesting =P

Brian has a backup of all of J2C, including the JMMB. It's getting it all up and working that would be the problem.

And what are you talking about saying that J2C was the best Jazz site ever? J2O destroys anything J2C could've hoped to be. You only think that because Jazz was in its prime in the JMMB days.

Ninja
Apr 29, 2003, 07:49 AM
Yes, I do. The first topic I ever read was about 4 years ago and consisted of "Atmcdragon" or someone making storys about Spaztic getting pwnz0red by Pikachu.

Pitiful.

Anyway,
What I'd do for the for the old War Tavern storys.. *sigh*

Ninja
Apr 29, 2003, 07:53 AM
Wait, wait, wait. Ninja dodo, it was closed like this, I think:

I was refreshing the main page one night and suddenly it says "Fatal error or something"

And is it just me, or was the JMMB more tolerant of stuff? I mean, not in a good way, just didn't edit as much stuff.

In fact, right before the JMMB was closed there was a thread about stuff you used to say when you were a kid or something and it had something pretty nasty in it that obviously was talking about the f-word.

Tik
Apr 29, 2003, 08:56 AM
There wasn't enough attention focused to properly administrating and moderating the JMMB which is one of the reasons why it was suddenly closed by the J2C staff. So you could say that more was allowed to be said there, but in the end because of that the JMMB was closed.

Coppertop
Apr 29, 2003, 12:12 PM
I remember. I was there. I started my first story there.

Ninja, what do you mean "What I'd do for the for the old War Tavern storys"? I'm still around ...:mad:

Batty Buddy
Apr 29, 2003, 12:42 PM
Que Passa!!!!

Originally posted by Ninja
Yes, I do. The first topic I ever read was about 4 years ago and consisted of "Atmcdragon" or someone making storys about Spaztic getting pwnz0red by Pikachu.

Pitiful.

Anyway,
What I'd do for the for the old War Tavern storys.. *sigh*

My retaliation stories were kind of cool, though...

/\:lol:/\

"Anybody ever tell you how cute your brother is?"
-Ms. Leleb talking to Jazz
Snooze and Mat Jazz Jackrabbit Amalgam.

Michael
Apr 30, 2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by LAb RaT kiD
J2O is like a new J2C, even better maybe.

*has a burning desire to flame*

J2C owns J2O. Id 'trade' anytime.

Tik
Apr 30, 2003, 05:34 AM
J2O > J2C

I'm sorry, but I have this strange addiction to the truth. Sometimes.

Onag
Apr 30, 2003, 09:44 AM
When the JMMB first started, the community as a whole was responsible enough to moderate themselves. That slowly changed as the community grew in size and in average age. Apparently, as you get older, the line between perverseness and hilarity gets a bit fuzzy. I still don't understand it.

Anyway, everyone's trying to compare J2C and J2O, so I figured I'd post my thoughts (which I know no one values). You can't compare the two. The goal of J2C was to be the best resource for Jazz2. It was. The goal of J2O was to replace J2C when it went down. It did.

Yay, I guess that means it's a tie. You can't compare two websites from two different eras. If J2O were introduced when J2C was still around, it would have been a flop. If J2C were introduced now, it would fail.

-Nag

Bobby aka Dizzy
Apr 30, 2003, 11:20 AM
I agree totally Onag.

CottonTail
Apr 30, 2003, 11:57 AM
OMG! Jazz2city was so much better than all existing jazz2 websites. IT HAD EVERYTHING! And the JMMB ruled because we were all really young at that time. Sorry that I dont sound very scientific like everyone else. :rolleyes:

Coppertop
Apr 30, 2003, 12:00 PM
We'll forgive you, I'm sure ... <s>how much will you pay me?</s>

WhiteFang
May 1, 2003, 12:03 AM
I agree with Onag... Nothing to add... :-)
People who joined after J2C will say the same about J2O after a few years when J2O maybe died too...

Brian
May 2, 2003, 11:52 AM
Of course we care what you have to think or say Onag. :-)

And I *know* I couldn't have said it any better myself. J2C was the best Jazz site there was. J2O is the best site now. (though J2C would probably be a good archive, if I ever brought it online again.) Back when J2C was in its prime, nothing could compete. (in fact, we squished some sites that tried even.) But it hasn't been updated in years and therefore wouldn't be a good current resource anymore.

There were several reasons why it was shut down. First was that we (on more than one occasion) did have hosting problems with it. Our first host (frontiernet) only allowed 10 megs of space. Second host (mich.com) went under. And I believe the third host (actionxtreme.com) was bought out by gamespy or something like that. Anyway, we lost FTP access to the site, and couldn't contact anyone about it so we couldn't update it even if we wanted to, at the end. Then that, combined with all the flamewars at the JMMB towards the end caused both to be taken down at pretty much the same time. What good is an un-updated site with flamewar forums anyway? Not much, so it was closed. (actually, more like shut down. J2C wasn't updated, and the JMMB was closed. Our account was deleted shortly after that, and J2C hasn't been back up since)

There's also some stuff that bothers me about what the people said about the JMMB closing. And they are STILL spreading lies and half-truths to this day. Isn't that just sad?

Like the following: "<i>I remember Dethman closed it down saying it was lacking in christian values and everybody should go home and read their bible...</i>"

Dethman did believe that the JMMB was getting away from Christian values, but that's not why it was closed. And he said nothing about how everyone should go home and read their Bible. He also did not make the final call to close the JMMB, I did. I could have kept it open should I have chosen to do so. Dethman saw that we couldn't keep the JMMB moderated properly, and it was dragging down the moderators who did try to keep it running. And with J2C not being updated, he came to me and asked me if I would like to close the JMMB since it was getting out of hand. I agreed that it was and thought over the decision to close it. Eventually I decided that before there was no good left on the JMMB, that I would close it. I did it to stop the bleeding, if you will.

Yet people still continue to flame Dethman to this day over it even. Why though? It wasn't because of his decision that it closed. I guess it's because people like to point their finger at people they don't like and who have different ideas than themselves. People who like to say "Oh look, he's a Christian do-gooder. He took it down because we aren't Christians." when people completely miss the point that THEY SCREWED IT UP. Obviously I'm not talking about everyone here, there was still a lot of good people on the JMMB, but the bad eggs were causing too much trouble and were too hard to keep up with back in the day. But they seem to neglect that and would rather attack someone else's religion instead of looking to see where the deeper problem is.

As for why the JMMB started to go downhill... that was mostly because people didn't have time for it. I was in college and that had to come first before anything JMMB related, so over time my visits became less and less. It of course doesn't help when I'm the head guy there. The other admins who could visit every day were stretched to the limit. Ones like Cobra and Addie (if you read this, good job guys! err.. gals!) were doing all they could to keep up. From what I remember, Addie resigned because her school work demanded more of her time. And to Cobra, I believe her words were "It's just a job." (it was a long time ago, please correct me if I am wrong with this) So it was something that she did, but she didn't enjoy it. Good moderators were hard to find too. Everyone was begging to be a moderator, but you can't necessairly trust anyone who beggs for it. Just because someone is good at begging, it doesn't necessairly make them good at being a moderator. To top it off you had people like Slayer (sorry guy) who abused the system more than once. And people wondered why I didn't make him a moderator AFTER this fact. Go figure....

I guess I should stop now. This rant has gone on long enough. I just get defensive when people spread lies about the JMMB. Most of the people who complain, just like to complain with no background or justification for their complaints. So I'll end this by saying, give credit where credit is due. I closed the JMMB, so stop flaming Dethman. I'm the one who gave the final decision to close it. So if you flame someone, flame me instead.

Bring it on.

Fawriel
May 2, 2003, 12:23 PM
GO BRIAN!!!!!!! WHOOWHOOWHOO! :D

Cobra
May 2, 2003, 02:02 PM
It was a job...a job that didn't pay. All of my time was going into it.

Trafton
May 2, 2003, 02:09 PM
I do not know why Dethman gets so much flak for the decision. Judging by what I remember about the JCF, it was so active with so many personal attacks, moderating it would be a full-time job. It is not that it was getting away from Christian values (although, I am sure it was, as it was getting away from the values of sane living, despite my lack of knowledge in such areas as religion). It was that it was getting away from basic values of respect for others. Flaming was everywhere, and it generally was an unpleasent atmosphere to function in.

So I suppose that is what happened. No Bible stuff. No Christian values. No "too lazy to work on it." It was that the JMMB had deteriorated, whether we like it or not, into a mass of flames and things that you don't have to be religious (or ethical, for that matter) to realize are wrong. By any measure, and by any view of religion, ethics, or otherwise, the JMMB at the very end was a bad end of town, so to speak. Christian, athiest, or otherwise, anyone who disliked swearing, flaming, and disrespectful behavior in general realized that the JMMB was a mess. And a mess that could not easily be mended without an amount of effort no one was able, let alone willing, to make.

Sure, it may have been a huge disappointment and setback for Jazz 2 and the community surrounding it. But the decision was made by people who were only that - people. No one is perfect, and no difficult decision lacks a double edge. But, in retrospect, it may have been the best choice. Regardless, it was a choice made with the best of intentions.

And that is really all that should count.

Tik
May 2, 2003, 02:24 PM
The whole Dethman thing was played out and explained long ago in a Misc. topic. I'm suprised people still are blaming him.

And while I agree with Onag to a certain extent I still like J2O much much more than J2C. And despite the 'you can't compare them' stuff, it's more of a matter of opinion.

4I Falcon
May 2, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Ninja
And is it just me, or was the JMMB more tolerant of stuff? I mean, not in a good way, just didn't edit as much stuff.

Three words. Lack of Derby.

Or was Derby part of the JMMB too?

CottonTail
May 2, 2003, 05:55 PM
I was just wondering why it closed down in the whole beggining thing, so foring puting the whole thing up anyway.

Spotty
May 2, 2003, 10:12 PM
jmmb went with jazz 2 city, it a was a golden age of jj2, but they both went eventually and thus j2online would begin eventually ;P

Lama
May 2, 2003, 11:23 PM
I somewhat agree with what Onag said. Also, thanks to Brian for shedding more light on the closure of the JMMB.

Originally posted by 4I Falcon
Three words. Lack of Derby.

Or was Derby part of the JMMB too?

I think Derby had an account there, but I don't think that he ever became an admin or even a mod. Oh My GeNe! Does this imply that if he were there, he could have made a big difference?

Krezack
May 3, 2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Lama
I somewhat agree with what Onag said. Also, thanks to Brian for shedding more light on the closure of the JMMB.

I think Derby had an account there, but I don't think that he ever became an admin or even a mod. Oh My GeNe! Does this imply that if he were there, he could have made a big difference?

Derby only makes a difference now because he is asked to; or rather, it's his "job" here as an admin. I bet if he was told he didn't need to anymore, but could continue if he wanted to, he'd choose to stop.

Orcs rules, humans drool.

Aiko
May 3, 2003, 08:51 AM
I still don't get it, even after more than three years.

If YOU closed the board, Brian, why didn't YOU announce the closure in 2000. Noone knew you were responsible for that decision back then. I and many others only remember that one stupid last message by DethMan when the JMMB was closed, which obviously gave us, the community, the impression that it actually HAD something to do with "christian values". And that is not a lie, but all that were we able to see back then. Noone explained anything, noone knew the backgrounds, it was just down and gone all of a sudden.

I have still no idea what really happened. I can only guess that the "bad eggs", as you call it, posted "bad stuff" in Misc.
As for myself, i had very good discussions in General J2 Talk and the number of "bad eggs" wasn't higher than it is today, on this board.

My impression still is, that the closure of J2C and the JMMB was a pretty egocentric decision. Some people didn't want to lose control over "their" site or maybe they really didn't find others that could have helped. And it didn't seem the actors really wanted to keep it alive. And well, maybe, in retrospect, it was better for us (for a new start). Fquist does good work on this board and the J2O site (of course, all the people at J2C and the JMMB did good work most of the time, too :).

And P.S., if i sound too offensive, that may eventually be my bad english :)

Blackraptor
May 3, 2003, 09:05 AM
Wow, this topic makes me wish I had registered on the JMMB or J2C, but I was too young to understand any of it back then.:(
Also, what happend to Dethman? Did he just leave jj2 when J2C and JMMB closed?

Trafton
May 3, 2003, 10:08 AM
Regardless of why the JMMB was closed, and I do believe there were good reasons, I think the community deserved much more prior warning.

Ice M A N
May 3, 2003, 10:54 AM
If YOU closed the board, Brian, why didn't YOU announce the closure in 2000. Noone knew you were responsible for that decision back then. I and many others only remember that one stupid last message by DethMan when the JMMB was closed, which obviously gave us, the community, the impression that it actually HAD something to do with "christian values". And that is not a lie, but all that were we able to see back then. Noone explained anything, noone knew the backgrounds, it was just down and gone all of a sudden.

I could not agree more. Well.. except for DethMan making the announcement.. nothing wrong with that.. but the "lies" and "half-truths" and whatnot all seemed well-founded to me (and (some of) the rest of us?) based on what information was available to the public..

Cyan_Blizzard
May 3, 2003, 01:33 PM
Yeah, I definately remember that, and the jfc's forum as well.....

But dwelling on the past doesn't do us any good;)

Krezack
May 3, 2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Cyan_Blizzard
But dwelling on the past doesn't do us any good;)

Says who? We learn from our mistakes, our mitsakes are in the past. There is even a human emotion for it which actually makes us long for the past - nostalgia.

And anyway, if the past was good, you'd sure as hell want to dwell on and remember it.

Brian
May 4, 2003, 09:19 AM
Why didn't I announce the closure of the JMMB?

Because I didn't feel that it was my place to. The JMMB was more of an extension of J2C since it would be nothing on its own without J2C. I feel that's the only reason that the JCMB went under. (anyone remember that? The Jazz Central Message Board, I believe) J2C was bigger at the time and as a result, the JMMB was to, and more people went there instead of the JCMB, which eventually went under (not necessarily only because of that reason, but it sure didn't help any). With that being said, the close of the JMMB was basically the official mark of the death of J2C as well. So since J2C was founded solely by Dethman, I found it fitting to let him post the final words for when the JMMB was closed. The JMMB wouldn't exist without him after all. Besides, he's a better speaker than I am anyway. I didn't tell him what to say when it closed though. He chose his own words for that.

As for Derby... I can't remember if he was a member or not. If he did, then the only reason that he wasn't an admin was because I didn't know of his l33t moderator skillz. Had I known, the JMMB might have been around longer. It's quite possible. But with the moderators and admins that we had, though they were excellent, they were still taxed to the limit. And the JMMB started to fill up with junk that slowly led to its death. They just couldn't keep up.

hehe, man I wish I had 10 Derby's back then for admins. They'd have kicked some serious butt. It's not that the JMMB was more relaxed in its moderation, it's just that we couldn't moderate the same volume of stuff that's being moderated here. In fact, I think that the JMMB had stricter rules... they were over a page long in total. But we couldn't keep up. Oh well, there's not much we could do about it. And I don't believe that there was more bad eggs back in those days, it's just that the moderators couldn't keep up.

Kinda like how people break the law less when there's more cops around. You know, that sort of thing. :-) If they can see that they're going to get away with something, they're more likely to try it.

Personally, I'd have liked to see it stay alive. If it was moderated as well as this one (and it had a better host) I'm sure it would have stayed around much longer than it did. We didn't shut it down because everything was just perfect with it. We shut it down because it had some serious problems developing with it. Ask the admins/moderators that did try to keep up with it all.

I guess in retrospect, there should have been a bit more warning. But in reality, would it have mattered? Seriously. Think about it. We post a message saying something like: "Due to the declining level of support for the JMMB and the increasing abuse of it, we will be forced to close the JMMB in 3 weeks. Sorry for the inconvenience." But what happens next? There's 3 dozen threads started that say "don't close the JMMB, we'll be good." So we keep it open. And people are good for a week or two, then the junk starts flooding in again. So we post another message and get another "we'll be good" response, but people don't stay that way for long. Yes there are people who have always been good, but do we really want them visiting a message board with swearing, spamming, and hateful messages can't be kept in check? Honestly, no. I couldn't bear to see some of the crap that was being posted where younger people were going to be reading it. Now this stuff is fine on a *mature* level, but that's not how it was being posted. And you could have warned people to the ends of the earth to stop it, but in the end you'd have only slowed it down. Like I said, we closed it to stop the bleeding.

Look... we did what we had to do. Now my view of this whole thing is from the top since I pretty much ran things. I saw it decline, I saw a lack of self-moderation from the community, and I saw how hard it was to keep the JMMB running on its own. (in the early days, I could fix the JMMB when it broke in minutes usually... in the end, it took from hours to days to fix it. Believe me, it was NOT an easy thing to keep working properly.) You have to understand, we did not close it because it had to do with a lack of Christian values. We closed it because we had to, for many reasons that the general public just didn't see.

How about this. If you feel that I made the wrong choice, step into my shoes and tell me how you would have done things differently. You know, if nothing else, maybe the suggestions could somehow be used to improve the JCF. (maybe now, maybe in the future. Who knows.... it's just ideas at this point) Or maybe there was some big point that I just overlooked that could have made things all better should my decisions have gone another way. In any case, let me know how you'd have done things. I'm genuinely curious about this one.

Brian
May 14, 2003, 07:54 AM
What? It's been 10 days and no one has said that I should have kept it open still? ;-)

Tubz
May 14, 2003, 07:57 AM
I guess whoever saved the accounts, didn't save mine.

Cyan_Blizzard
May 14, 2003, 09:58 AM
Its true Krez, the past does teach us to learn. Looking back on it though, some of us do learn, and others don't. We still fight each other, their still is racial disagreement, we judge others. Humanity will _never_ change, no matter how much we try. We will always do the same things we've done just as our ancestors have before us. The only change I see is the advancement in knowledge and destruction. Otherwise I still see suffering....

Sorry, im done now.

Trafton
May 14, 2003, 10:50 AM
Tublear, you misunderstand. The indexer did not save some accounts because it just did not happen to index many pages pointing to those accounts' profiles. It is not that someone decided whether or not they would be saved.

Tubz
May 17, 2003, 08:00 PM
Ah! Err evil index.

Cyan_Blizzard
May 24, 2003, 09:01 AM
Its actually good the JMMB closed....It really stared to get Chaotic around there, and everything just went crazy. True, it is deeply missed, and yes, alot was learned from that(the past);P. But yes, we have the JFC now, so let us enjoy this time.

atesoRJOL
May 24, 2003, 09:16 AM
I think it died not long before I got Jazz2, then again I never posted there...

Feline
May 25, 2003, 12:20 AM
Not that it means anything to add my comment after the many above me, but I miss the old JMMB as well... I guess Dethman got fed up with it, that's all.

G@vie
May 26, 2003, 08:41 AM
I have played JJ2 from the beginning, J2C was the best JJ2 site from the beginning until it died, I have downloaded lots of stuff there. too bad it's gone :confused:

Tik
May 28, 2003, 09:02 PM
...Ha, for a second I thought you said you had a backup of the Epic MMB. I want to see -that- again =P

TheE
May 28, 2003, 09:14 PM
Of course I remember the JMMB. I joined there within weeks of its creation, and stayed until J2C's fall. After Jazz2City closed my interest waned; I popped in every month or so, until one day, it was simply... gone.

I wasn't there for the closing announcement, but I can assure you, blaming Dethman, Brian, or the administration in general is ludicrous. The JMMB's days were numbered after the the closure of J2C, which also was not Dethman's fault - Wakeman no longer had time to deal with the site, and the replacements, Bluez and some others I don't remember, also could not deal with the site sufficiently. Dethman was, at that point, AWOL, and had been for some time, though he had done brilliant work before and immediately after the JMMB's founding, a true pioneer into the workings of the JCS when much of it remained undiscovered and obscured - he was the first to incorporate MCEs into his pack Queen of Board, for example. (Which I, IIRC, was the first to hack to describe MCEs, in those days much more complicated, with 8 events instead of 3, to the general public. IceMANN then laboriously created his list of all MCEs, discovering some additional neat tricks along the way.) But by the time J2C shut down, Dethman had left the community, and Brian was head administrator of the JMMB anyways. Of the people who have posted in this thread, I can say I remember only two, Brian and Onag; I'm not sure when the remainder joined, but in my stay, at least, things were relatively peaceful - there was only one banning, with scattered "incidents" involving Alienator and Bluez. If the community later degenerated into uncontrolled flamage, I can guarantee you it was entirely the fault of the active members, and not of Dethman, who was busy with real life most of the time anyhow, and certainly didn't sit around scrutinizing the boards, waiting for a chance to shut you down for violating "christian principles." Brian also had no incentive to shut down the board he owned, unless he truly felt that the JMMB had become something worthless.

Argle
May 30, 2003, 06:45 PM
Having just re-emerged due a friend wanting to play the game, decided to take a look around again. I remember the JMMB too well, and am glad it shut down. What went wrong there, seems, on the surface anyways, to be working more efficently here. It worked out for the better apparently. Better to thank the forum hosts of the JMMB for pulling together a community as they did and knowing when to stop.

avngr hh/avngr dw/argle dw/thsmar/l-gy

Trafton
May 30, 2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Argle
Having just re-emerged due a friend wanting to play the game, decided to take a look around again. I remember the JMMB too well, and am glad it shut down. What went wrong there, seems, on the surface anyways, to be working more efficently here. It worked out for the better apparently. Better to thank the forum hosts of the JMMB for pulling together a community as they did and knowing when to stop.

avngr hh/avngr dw/argle dw/thsmar/l-gy
Wow. Yet another oldie. Good to see ya! :)

~ Traft

Lama
May 31, 2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by TheE
Of course I remember the JMMB. I joined there within weeks of its creation, and stayed until J2C's fall. After Jazz2City closed my interest waned; I popped in every month or so, until one day, it was simply... gone.

Egad, is that really you? Anyhow, in case you don't already know, you got me interested in debugging and hacking. So I owe a lot to you (even if you don't personally know me). :)

G@vie
Jun 1, 2003, 11:39 PM
Come on. it has happend, nothing we can do about it:-)
Next

Bartman
Jun 3, 2003, 08:46 PM
I blame Dethman for being so anti-social. At least...I've barely seen him on the servers. But yeah, J2C was cool. I remember it well. Did my first level pack there get a 2? I think it deserved a one now that I've looked at them again. Wow, they dont even connect correctly....

Either that or I'm missing some of those levels....good ridance.

Pegleg Swantoon
Dec 3, 2004, 11:07 PM
I used to post on the JMMB, and I remember posting a story in the War Tavern. Now, I'd very much like to see that story again, just for kicks and to soak in all the nostalgia. I was wondering if the forum was backed up, and if there is any chance I could see it, somehow.

Monolith
Dec 3, 2004, 11:29 PM
The forum was backed up, but it hasn't been restored yet.

The SlaYeR
Dec 4, 2004, 03:11 AM
It would indeed be nice to see the stories of the War tavern back.

FQuist
Dec 4, 2004, 03:20 AM
I have a small part of the War Tavern backed up. I can see if your story is in there if you want to, although I doubt it.

I believe Brian does not want the JMMB back on the net as a non-posting archive, not sure, that was what I was told. Maybe there is a way to agree with him to get certain classic thread back or something.

Pegleg Swantoon
Dec 4, 2004, 03:44 AM
I don't rememebr my username or the name of the thread, I just remember the first chapter of the story, and I know I posted all the rest there. Just remembering writing the story gets me all nostalgic, I'd give my left nut to read it again.

White Rabbit
Dec 4, 2004, 04:45 AM
I went to J2C and JMMB when I got the JJ2 shareware demo. It was scary. Erm... anyway, I went back there for a little while when I finally got the full version. I think I spent a couple of minutes browsing through the forum but then I found J2o. J2o didn't have as much lvls or stuff in general to compete with J2C at that time but it was much more organized and well-structured. I'm not at all surprised that J2C went down and J2o survives to this day. Besides, I can J2o and the JCF is way better than JMMB althouh I do feel sad that I missed all the fun at J2C.

blurredd
Dec 4, 2004, 09:09 AM
At least now you can visit J2C again.

Tubz
Dec 4, 2004, 11:06 AM
Its actually good the JMMB closed....It really stared to get Chaotic around there, and everything just went crazy. True, it is deeply missed, and yes, alot was learned from that(the past);P. But yes, we have the JFC now, so let us enjoy this time.

Who thinks that this place is getting chaotic?
----
BTW, could I get maybe 1 or 2 of my threads stored, I'd like to see one of them, since I can't remember them, please!

Iam Canadian
Dec 4, 2004, 07:56 PM
In the J2C days, I played online some under various aliases and I used to lurk on the JMMB occasionally, but it wasn't until well after J2O and the JCF started that I really involved myself in the community. I regret not starting sooner.

BlackSheep
Dec 13, 2004, 02:58 PM
HAHAHAHA!

Good times on the JMMB.

Brian
Dec 20, 2004, 09:58 AM
I believe Brian does not want the JMMB back on the net as a non-posting archive, not sure, that was what I was told. Maybe there is a way to agree with him to get certain classic thread back or something.
I've tinkered with the idea of a JMMB archive in the past, but I really never bothered to put much effort into it. Too many variables. The server I have to put it on would most likely be slow, and I'd rather it not be hosted anyplace else. I want the JMMB to remain an archive, and in someone else's hands it may not. I don't think that it would ever try and take over the JCF, but I would want it to remain an archive and nothing more. That was the end of an era, and I want it kept the way it was.

Now I just don't have the time to deal with it. Too many issues in my life, too many other things to worry about. And so it remains, on CD.

(and to those who say "send it to me! I'll put it online! I say: "that takes my time too, does it not?")