Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

Suggestions for J2Ov2

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Apr 25, 2003, 06:52 AM
5 points is quite a wide gap. However I think people should be able to rate things whatever they want. Rating that are 3+ points off the average are usually reported and omitted anyway.

It would be nice if it could have the date of the last review posted in the listing.

Notification for reviews is an okay idea, but not that necessary. It's not that hard to check for reviews to your stuff anyway.

I am still for the ability to give rating credit to multiple people for one level. Perhaps there could be some weighing system where if someone made 50% of some download, the rating would effect their overall score half as much as it would. Or something. I can't think exactly how this could be acheived, but it is doable. Somehow.

Page 6. Yay.
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Apr 25, 2003, 10:00 AM
The problem with that idea is that there is no way to specify how much work someone did, and it could be abused. A lot. Besides, the formula would need to be really, really, really complex.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Apr 28, 2003, 09:17 AM
Actually what I was trying to say is maybe there was some way to specify how much that person did by giving a sort of percentage. Like you have maybe 5 rows, each with two text fields. For each row you put in one box their J2O username and in the other how much they contributed. For instance:

You upload a pack of 3 CTF levels. you made one myself. Bob made another one entirely by himself, and the third was half made by Bob and half by Jim. In the fields I put the following

Bob 49
Jim 16

Bob gets 49 because he made 1 of the 3 levels (33%) and he made 1/2 of another 1 of the 3 levels (33 divided by 2 is 16.5%). 16.5% + 33% is 49.5% and rounded down to 49%.

Jim made 1/2 of 1 of the 3 levels, so he gets 1/2 of 33%, which is 16.5%, rounded down to 16%.

You do not have to specify how much you yourself made because that can be calculated according to the total of above. So 100 - (49 + 16) = 35%. There is of course a margin of error since you are getting 2% extra, but that won't effect your total percentage much.

Now, lets say your average rating is a 6.625 with the following:

The CTF level pack is uploaded and gets an 8.9. You get 35% of this to help your average. Now is the tricky part, and I'm not sure if this makes sense or anything.

8.9 (35%)

You add up all the regular whole numbers, and then instead of adding in 8.9, you take 35% of 8.9 and add that in (29.615 is that total). And then, instead of dividing for the average by 5, you take 35% of 1 and add it onto the 4 regular one (4.35 for you geniuses) and use that as a divisor for the total.

29.615 / 4.35 = 6.808

Your average becomes 6.808. It was a 6.625. So logically the higher score of 8.9 increased your rating, but you only got 35% of it so it only increased it very slightly.

I have no idea if this was accurate and haven't really tried to apply it to anything else, but I think it just might work. I really just came up with it on the spot. There are probably errors. Perhaps there is another way to do it. I don't know.

And of course, abuse is still possible. Maybe there could be some sort of validation thing..?
<a href="/junk/tick/tickbot.html">readme</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/quote.html">quotes</a> - <a href="/junk/tick/rsg.html">formats</a> - are you brained? *\o/*</td><td width="1%" align="right"></td></tr></table>
Trafton

JCF Member

May 4, 2003, 06:13 PM
The problem that arises here is overhead-related. Someone would have to evaluate how much of it someone did. Perhaps it could be an administrators/moderators thing that the members could request, explain their reasonings, and then it would be applied. Otherwise, every level would have to been investigated individually.

Other than that, I like the idea. The formula is mathmatically solid. It is just that it might be difficult to apply in the real-world situation, if you know what I mean.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

May 4, 2003, 06:18 PM
What I had in mind was a sort of verification system where before the level can show up each person who took part has to give verification, and after all of them have, a moderator gives verification that everything is correct and everyone is happy, and then it is uploaded. After that only a moderator can edit the percentages and such.

Last edited by Tik; May 4, 2003 at 07:49 PM.
Trafton

JCF Member

May 4, 2003, 06:24 PM
But that would require the moderator to contact the people involved. Not to mention, the other person does not necessarily have any idea how the rating system works, either.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

May 4, 2003, 06:42 PM
I was thinking it would send out a PM to each person the uploader put on the list and then they could select a moderator of their choice.

Last edited by Tik; May 4, 2003 at 07:32 PM.
Trafton

JCF Member

May 4, 2003, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Spaztic
I was thinking it would send out a PM to each person the uploader put on the list and then they could select a moderator of their choice.
A good idea. Unfortunately, they might choose an inactive moderator.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

May 4, 2003, 07:11 PM
Perhaps a "verification list" could be generated instead for uploads that need verification for uploading (after the members involved verified it), then any moderator could view it and verify the upload.
Trafton

JCF Member

May 9, 2003, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Spaztic
Perhaps a "verification list" could be generated instead for uploads that need verification for uploading (after the members involved verified it), then any moderator could view it and verify the upload.
Perhaps. Still, it would requite an in-depth knowledge of the situation. I suppose if they included comments, it could work. Regardless, it would be difficult.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

May 10, 2003, 07:15 AM
I agree with Spaztic all the way, because say Gary and Sam made 2 levels and put them into one pack. Gary wants to upload the levels by his account, and Sam wants to upload by his account. Gary makes a suggestion about making a new account called Gary and Sam, but Sam wants this pack to be calculated in his ratings, since he worked hard on it. Gary wants the pack to be calculated into his average as well. Either than having the pack calculated into both their averages, I dont see another way out that they will both be happy with.

JCF Member

May 10, 2003, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Blackraptor
I agree with Spaztic all the way, because say Gary and Sam made 2 levels and put them into one pack. Gary wants to upload the levels by his account, and Sam wants to upload by his account. Gary makes a suggestion about making a new account called Gary and Sam, but Sam wants this pack to be calculated in his ratings, since he worked hard on it. Gary wants the pack to be calculated into his average as well. Either than having the pack calculated into both their averages, I dont see another way out that they will both be happy with.
It is true that it is a good idea; it is the execution, however, that is the problem. Verification and such. It would be difficult, and although it is possible, it would take a lot of enery to maintain.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

May 10, 2003, 11:13 AM
Calculating it into both averages just wouldn't work. If Gary wants all his friends to have higher ratings, he just has to divide his pack with them. If Gary wants to annoy his enemies, he just has to upload a crappy pack and split the rating with them. You could devide the rating (e.g. it's rated 8, Gary and Sam both get a 4), but that could potentially drop their overall average.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.
Syntax

JCF Member

Syntax is doing well so far

May 10, 2003, 03:59 PM
At the least, I think it's reasonable to have someone's team projects linked to his/her downloads profile, even if it doesn't count towards the person's overall rating. In other words, if I went to Person X's downloads page (which shows all the downloads that were uploaded by Person X), I should see links on his/her page that point to all the team projects that Person X was involved in (in addition to Person X's solo works).
Trafton

JCF Member

May 10, 2003, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Syntax
At the least, I think it's reasonable to have someone's team projects linked to his/her downloads profile, even if it doesn't count towards the person's overall rating. In other words, if I went to Person X's downloads page (which shows all the downloads that were uploaded by Person X), I should see links on his/her page that point to all the team projects that Person X was involved in (in addition to Person X's solo works).
That, on the other hand, is completely possible. I like the idea.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

May 10, 2003, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Radium
Calculating it into both averages just wouldn't work. If Gary wants all his friends to have higher ratings, he just has to divide his pack with them. If Gary wants to annoy his enemies, he just has to upload a crappy pack and split the rating with them.
This situation has already been addressed indirectly. There would be a verification process that would work like this:

1. The main uploader uploads the file with all of the information addressing the percentages and giving each person's J2O username accordingly.

2. A PM or some other message is sent to each member addressed in the upload, and inside the message is included everything that the first person said in the first, including percentages, level information, etc.

3. Each person must either accept/decline the message.

If any one person declines, another message is sent to the main author with information of why it was declined, and then main author could either change the information and redo the verification process or delete the upload altogether (in essence, you go back to #1).

If all people accept, then you go on to #4:

4. Either a PM is sent to a moderator/admin of the main authors choice for them to authorize the upload, or a list is generated for every moderator/admin to see where anyone of them can decline/authorize the upload.

If authorized, the upload appears on the Downloads list and everyone is happy.

If declined, a message is sent back to the main author and every additional person from the moderator, and you go back to #1.

Quote:
You could devide the rating (e.g. it's rated 8, Gary and Sam both get a 4), but that could potentially drop their overall average.
I already came up with a (seemingly) good working method for weighing the rating based upon percentages given by the uploader above.
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

May 23, 2003, 02:35 PM
Imho that's still impossible because someone can still just divide his good rating between his friends, they'd agree and the admin doesn't know enough.

Secondly, do you want me to be killed?!?!?! The amount of coding!

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

Trafton

JCF Member

May 23, 2003, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Fquist
Secondly, do you want me to be killed?!?!?! The amount of coding!
Yes. That is secretly the purpose behind the topic as a whole. You have figured us out and MUST BE TERMINATED. Muhahaha.

~ Traft
n0

JCF Member

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

May 23, 2003, 06:49 PM
Do you have a deadline? Like a month or quarter or year or decade when this is estimated to be done?

`N0

JCF Member

May 24, 2003, 05:29 AM
No. I'm ill and have school work to do, so I can't do estimates. Especially because I don't know how much help the others are going to give me with the code.

Spotify.fm

Trafton

JCF Member

May 25, 2003, 12:56 PM
I would also like to see J2Ov2 be able to have a pop up message when a new PM arrives, much like the JCF.

~ Traft

JCF Member

May 25, 2003, 03:30 PM
$10 :P

Spotify.fm

Trafton

JCF Member

May 25, 2003, 03:59 PM
Quote:
$10 :P
What? ;-P

~ Traft

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

May 25, 2003, 04:32 PM
I refuse to pay more than $6.50 for a popup window.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

May 26, 2003, 07:04 PM
A popup would be nice, I often get PMs and forget to check and answer them until weeks later. Popups aren't very hard to implement into HTML, either, and I don't know but I don't think that would involve a lot of coding in PHP either.
&lt;table width=&quot;100%&quot;&gt;&lt;tr&gt;&lt;td valign=&quot;top&quot;&gt;&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.jj2.info&quot; title=&quot;waaaait&quot; style=&quot;font-size: 14pt;font-family: Verdana;text-decoration: none;&quot;&gt;penny on the train track&lt;/a&gt;
&lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/tickbot.html&quot;&gt;readme&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/quote.html&quot;&gt;quotes&lt;/a&gt; - &lt;a href=&quot;/junk/tick/rsg.html&quot;&gt;formats&lt;/a&gt; - are you brained? *\o/*&lt;/td&gt;&lt;td width=&quot;1%&quot; align=&quot;right&quot;&gt;&lt;/td&gt;&lt;/tr&gt;&lt;/table&gt;

JCF Member

May 27, 2003, 09:50 AM
Sure, but I don't see how you can miss the obvious "There are 3 unread messages" at the front page above the news. ;p

To me, I always see it immediatly.

Spotify.fm

Trafton

JCF Member

May 27, 2003, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Sure, but I don't see how you can miss the obvious "There are 3 unread messages" at the front page above the news. ;p

To me, I always see it immediatly.
It is helpful when browing through the site. Plus, the three messages thing is sometimes slow to refresh.

~ Traft

Last edited by Trafton; May 27, 2003 at 05:24 PM.

JCF Member

May 28, 2003, 05:39 AM
Quote:
It is helpful when browing through the site. Plus, the three messages thing is sometimes slow to refresh.
*cough* It's created on the fly *cough*

Spotify.fm

Trafton

JCF Member

May 28, 2003, 06:07 AM
Quote:
*cough* It's created on the fly *cough*
It still sometimes does not refresh until I reload the page, which can be annoying.

~ Traft

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

May 31, 2003, 06:55 AM
I never knew that Gary and Sam would become so popular as fictional characters among this topic ;P

JCF Member

Blade Nightflame has disabled reputation

Jun 23, 2003, 01:12 PM
Allow a special program on this forum whenever you post you can post a image from your computer
Seriously i was getting really (-) up about linking the pictures!

Sorry to the whole J2O for any troubles I've caused while being a stupid n00b.
Trafton

JCF Member

Jun 23, 2003, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Cheater
Allow a special program on this forum whenever you post you can post a image from your computer
Seriously i was getting really (fed) up about linking the pictures!
Eek. I do not think that would be a good idea. First off, that would waste serious amounts of web space. Second of all, a program like that would require a lot of coding.

Just get a good FTP server somewhere or a free image host.

~ Traft
n0

JCF Member

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

Jul 15, 2003, 01:10 PM
Copy, paste

With the Jazz1 editor out now, I thought that people might be uploading Jazz 1 files. Because of that, I thought there might be a need for new sections in the files uploads page. Maybe one for tilesets and one for levels and one for animations.

`N0

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Aug 26, 2003, 03:26 PM
I just thought of some features I would like to see:

- Ability to sort downloads, pictures, etc by the last time they were replied to.

- Ability to see the date and author of the last person to reply/review a download, picture, etc.

The reason for this is often people review things I have uploaded and I don't notice from the number of reviews. It would just be an added convenience, I guess.
Trafton

JCF Member

Aug 26, 2003, 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaztic
I just thought of some features I would like to see:

- Ability to sort downloads, pictures, etc by the last time they were replied to.
That is already there for downloads, but I agree that would be a good addition to pictures, if anything can be added to it. *cough*

~ Traft
DanYjel

JCF Member

DanYjel is doing well so far

Aug 27, 2003, 12:16 AM
No.
1) Make photos and images catehories. It will better. I have 250 MB of Jazz imaged on my disc...

2) Make first level category. No. It is not joke. First level is different category than Single Player.

3) Make more categories like Foo Race, Test, Bank Roberry... It will better for orientation.

4) To members, add date of birthday, current clans... VERY LOT OF INFORMATIONS!!! and give choice of sort members by age, by location, by number of uploaded levels, by average rating of all levels... Or... by average length of review, or by number of reviews...

5) Jazz2Online is like whole Jazz2 buggy. I sent list of bugs to Frank, but I think there is lot of other bugs...

6) Give choice of customize colors. Add color schemes, from what we can change. I thing... Like JCF

7) When it will completed? I can't wait for it.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Aug 27, 2003, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyjel
No.
1) Make photos and images catehories. It will better. I have 250 MB of Jazz imaged on my disc...
Waste of space, I think. People would abuse this and upload pictures they want to use on the JCF and stuff too. Not a good idea, because people are dumbheads.

Quote:
2) Make first level category. No. It is not joke. First level is different category than Single Player.
In my harsh opinion, all crappy works on j2o should be deleted. This saves space and promotes quality. First levels do not "deserve" their own category. The only reason this might be a good idea is forewarning. Some people won't even look at it if it's someone's first level beforehand. I don't know, I guess it's feasible but I don't like it.

Quote:
3) Make more categories like Foo Race, Test, Bank Roberry... It will better for orientation.
Foo Races also don't "deserve" their own category because they're already assigned to being race levels. A Test level should not even be on j2o if it's just a dumb level they did testing crap and uploaded. Maybe you could clarify what you mean. Bank Roberry, however, is a good idea. All of the new gametypes should be included.

Quote:
4) To members, add date of birthday, current clans... VERY LOT OF INFORMATIONS!!! and give choice of sort members by age, by location, by number of uploaded levels, by average rating of all levels... Or... by average length of review, or by number of reviews...
Good idea, methinks. Actually this might already be in the works. I'm not sure. I don't think it's way too specific, though...not that it needs to be or anything.

Quote:
5) Jazz2Online is like whole Jazz2 buggy. I sent list of bugs to Frank, but I think there is lot of other bugs...
Are you saying J2O has bugs or Jazz2? J2Ov2 is being completely recoded so it is faster, much less buggy, and have many many new additions and features. Trust me.

Quote:
6) Give choice of customize colors. Add color schemes, from what we can change. I thing... Like JCF
Already a feature, for the most part. Some things (like graphics) are unchangeable.

Quote:
7) When it will completed? I can't wait for it.
Quist last told me it was about 60%-70% done. A lot of the content has already been made and added by Newspaz, but a lot of the gritty stuff is still in the works. Plus all of the old downloads are going to have to be transferred to the new setup which I imagine will be quite a job.
the WINNER

JCF Member

the WINNER is doing well so far

Aug 28, 2003, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fquist
No. I'm ill and have school work to do, so I can't do estimates. Especially because I don't know how much help the others are going to give me with the code.
If you are ill, how are you on your computer replying on JCF? ;p
Nebula

JCF Founder

Nebula has disabled reputation

Aug 28, 2003, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the WINNER
If you are ill, how are you on your computer replying on JCF? ;p
he's that dedicated
DanYjel

JCF Member

DanYjel is doing well so far

Aug 30, 2003, 06:21 AM
But more categories of downloads like programs...
Or make categories SinglePlayer level(s) and SP episode(s).