Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

I broke a window(s) D=

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jan 20, 2004, 05:30 PM
I broke a window(s) D=

So, I'm all happy and stuff and suddenly, PSP won't open. In fact, no programs will open. So I restart the computer, only now explorer.exe won't start. I've done everything, including replacing my whole Windows directory (98SE) with a backup (from dos). But explorer still keeps crashing. So I'm stuck on my XP computer, and XP's just so... puffy. Advice please.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Jan 20, 2004, 07:03 PM
Can you start in safe mode (F8 for the menu and choose safe mode)?
If so, start by doing a step-by-step confirmation start (F8 for the menu and choose step-by-step confirmation) and figure out what the problem is.
If safe mode doesn't work, reinstall windows from the CD.
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

Kaz

JCF Member

Kaz has disabled reputation

Jan 20, 2004, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radium
So, I'm all happy and stuff and suddenly, PSP won't open. In fact, no programs will open. So I restart the computer, only now explorer.exe won't start. I've done everything, including replacing my whole Windows directory (98SE) with a backup (from dos). But explorer still keeps crashing. So I'm stuck on my XP computer, and XP's just so... puffy. Advice please.
He should also do a surface scan and a few diagnostics on 98se just in case it's from there. If not a new install, then he should back up his media and reformat. Or so I think.

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Jan 20, 2004, 09:17 PM
I personally always think a format should be the last ditch. Besides, if he cannot get into safe mode, it would not be easy to do a backup.

Out of curiosity, you would not happen to have the file C:\Explorer.exe existing?

Also, do you have an updated virus scan (read: within the past month) that you have used recently? If you have it reasonably updated (say August 2003 or sooner) please post the last update date and do a scan in MSDOS. I doubt this is your problem, but having executables crash like this may signify corruption, which is a common ailment of file infector viruses which are becoming increasingly more common through P2P programs.

~ Traft

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Jan 21, 2004, 01:32 AM
I don't worry about full re-installs. Gives me a clean slate + removes clutter (better preformance). But that's just my opinion. I've just got to make sure I've got my important stuff backed up.

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92
Kaz

JCF Member

Kaz has disabled reputation

Jan 21, 2004, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafton
I personally always think a format should be the last ditch. Besides, if he cannot get into safe mode, it would not be easy to do a backup.

Out of curiosity, you would not happen to have the file C:\Explorer.exe existing?

Also, do you have an updated virus scan (read: within the past month) that you have used recently? If you have it reasonably updated (say August 2003 or sooner) please post the last update date and do a scan in MSDOS. I doubt this is your problem, but having executables crash like this may signify corruption, which is a common ailment of file infector viruses which are becoming increasingly more common through P2P programs.

~ Traft
There's this thing called DOS you can use to back up things.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jan 21, 2004, 02:16 PM
Use Windows XP, Windows 98 technology is inferior. You can change the look of it back to the 98 look. I was resistant too, but XP is a great improvement. Trust me -- if that is all possible...

(mwahahahaha)

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jan 30, 2004, 02:44 AM
If anyone's wondering, I fixed it. It turned out to be a problem with internet explorer. Whaddayaknow, the "details" button during illegal operations DOES help.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Jan 30, 2004, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplat
Use Windows XP, Windows 98 technology is inferior. You can change the look of it back to the 98 look. I was resistant too, but XP is a great improvement. Trust me -- if that is all possible...

(mwahahahaha)
Inferior? As if.

Windows XP (Xtra Payments :P) is great for you, but Windows 98 has something that XP won't: a DOS kernel. XP uses that uber-crappy NT kernel that is sux.

And it doesn't change to the 98 look, that's the Win2K look. That is also sux.

Now i'm done bashing you.

-RoW

Derby: Personal attack removal. By the way, XP is superior to 98.

Last edited by Derby; Feb 2, 2004 at 04:33 PM.
Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Feb 2, 2004, 03:53 PM
RoW_Odin314, you have just prooved you are infact the noob.

Being a system operator here, and having to work with the Windows NT Kernal on a daily bases, i have to ask what the hell are you doing calling it crap?

sorry, do the words: performance, stability and security scare you or something?

Windows XP is Windows 2000 tuned up for compatbility with Windows 9x based programs, while offering more features for home users, while continuing to provide the power, performance and tools needed in a business enviorment.

The Windows NT core has done things that 9x could only dream of doing, and with the security of the NTFS File system, its just the best thing Microsoft have done.

Moving Home users to the Windows NT core was indeed a milestone by Microsoft, and a bloody good one. your gettin the performance that before only business users could experience, quit complaining and actually learn what your talking about.

So Don't diss KRSplat for actually having some form of common sense unlike yourself.

JCF Member

Lark has disabled reputation

Feb 2, 2004, 04:03 PM
I'd have to agree with Nimrod. You have no right dissing other members like that. KRSplat has been in this community for well over three years. You, on the other hand, have been a part of this community for about two months.

JCF Member

NiQ is doing well so far

Feb 10, 2004, 11:49 AM
I have to agree with LRK here. stop doing PA's too. i bet you're young..
- Danyjel

"Snooz is a bear"
- Labratkid