Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

J2L Tool - remap tile indices

incandescentembers

JCF Member

incandescentembers is doing well so far

Apr 19, 2014, 04:08 PM
J2L Tool - remap tile indices

I can't figure out how exactely remap tiles in a level using J2L Tool. The instructions aren't clear for me, can any one help?

Basicaly I want to know how to replace all the tiles placed (for example) in position 1,10 in a tileset to a tile 2,9.

Does it work with animated tiles too?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Apr 19, 2014, 04:42 PM
Going by the readme doc, I'm guessing your swap data file should contain:
Code:
90 81
I see no reason it wouldn't work with animated tiles.

JCF Member

Apr 20, 2014, 11:52 AM
The problem is that when I drag the file to the program it gives me only one txt file where there are no things like numbers for tiles. All it gives me are numbers of event used. So I have no idea where should I place those numbers to reverse tiles...

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 20, 2014, 12:14 PM
You create a new text file on your own, and run the program from the command line (instead of by dragging files onto the program in windows explorer or whatever).

JCF Member

Apr 20, 2014, 10:40 PM
Oh, you should say so at the beginning...

It seems that people on J2O assume that it is normal for everyone to use command line, create a new text file and know where to put the values and how to make the level work out of that text file... I'm sorry but I'm not at that level, and I was really surprise that the program doesn't come with any instructions. Without it it is pretty useless for computer-dummies like me.

JCF Éminence Grise

Apr 20, 2014, 11:12 PM
But it does. I haven't tried any of this myself; I'm just repeating to you what it says in the readme document in the zip.

JCF Member

zapS is doing well so far

Apr 23, 2014, 12:51 PM
Quote:
It seems that people on J2O assume that it is normal for everyone to use command line
Actually, I was thinking about including some instructions on how to use the command line, but since that wouldn't be related to this program specifically, I decided not to. I would also have to write the same instructions for every command line utility and that seems a bit unnecessary, at least to me.

I guess you probably have figured out how to do it by now but since you asked, I can give you some hints anyway.

If only one argument needs to be passed and that argument is a file, then the easiest thing to do is drag the file and drop it on the program's icon.

If more than one argument needs to be passed I would recommend typing them manually from the command line.
One thing you can do, that I find quite convenient if you want to do the same thing many times, is make a .bat file. In your case you would write something like:
Code:
J2L_Tool yourlevel.j2l yourswap.txt
PAUSE
in a text file and give it the extension .bat and put it in the same directory as the program and the files and then just double-click it to run.
The 'PAUSE' is there so you can see the output of the program before the window closes.

Maybe I should also point out that if your need for remapping is because of a tileset rearrangement then you should use the other utility 'J2T Rearranger' to generate the 'swapfile' while you rearrange.

Well, I hope you find this helpful, and I'm glad you use my program