Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Jazz 1 music

JustRob

JCF Member

JustRob is doing well so far

Feb 7, 2010, 08:27 AM
Jazz 1 music

Hi I have a problem with the music in Jazz 1. The problem is that the music only plays the first 10 seconds of the tune and loops like that forever.

The menu theme for example, if you check this tune, you can hear at 0:10 the music starts to get higher, well that doesn't happen in my Jazz 1 game. I'm using Dosbox, in the Jazz 1 Soundcard Setup thingy, I chose Soundblaster Pro and Pentium quality.

How can I fix this?

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Feb 8, 2010, 12:58 PM
Did you make sure to set the proper DMA and IRQ settings in the setup utility? I think the default ones are different from the one DOSBox uses.

(IRQ should be 7, DMA should be 1)

edit: I forgot, but DOSBox emulates a SB16 card by default. Try that instead.
JustRob

JCF Member

Feb 8, 2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, DosBOX will only start up the game if I use the Soundblaster cards, but that's also the cards I seem to have the problem with. I could only set IRQ and DMA options for the Gravis Ultrasound card, but DosBOX won't start the game using that card.

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2010, 03:05 AM
To use the Gravis Ultrasound in DOSBox you need to enable Ultrasound emulation in the DOSBOX.conf file and specify an ULTRASND directory with the proper drivers.

There's also a difference between SoundBlaster 16 and SoundBlaster Pro, the former being the superior card and easier for DOSBox to emulate properly.
JustRob

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2010, 05:58 AM
I downloaded the Gravis Ultrasound files, put them in the directory that's in the dosbox.conf file, and still it doesn't work. Jesus, this is pissing me off so much. I tried it on my school PC, and there I just had to launch up Dosbox and load Jazz1, and it worked like a charm.

Why am I having so much goddamn trouble.

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Feb 9, 2010, 11:11 AM
somebody just give him a working .bat file and stop being a bunch of losers about this

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2010, 11:52 AM
Since you're such a genius, you do it.

Aside from that, I don't know what the issue could be if you're positive you've got everything set right. Try a fresh installation of DOSBox?

JCF Member

Dermo should make better posts

Feb 9, 2010, 03:26 PM
Ok...

Sound file:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8k276s

DOSBox Config File:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/t4veab

Of course the DOSBox configuration file is assuming that your JJ1 installation is in C:\Games\Jazz1 You would have to change that to whereever your Jazz Jackrabbit installation is located. Then overwrite your configuration file with mine and your sound ini file with the one i provided and you should be in working shape.

And I don't claim to be a genius, Sonyk. That's why I asked somebody else to do it, but since I apparently know it all, I'll give it a shot now.

Do you like Stijn? Take my poll!

Windows is not a virus. A virus is small and efficient...

Note to Stijn: how am i even getting away with this

Last edited by Dermo; Feb 9, 2010 at 04:01 PM.

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2010, 07:31 PM
He already stated that he's tried default settings on a different computer and it worked perfectly. He says he's changed nothing on his. Your batch file wouldn't affect him if that were the case.

Using a dosbox.conf file with default settings (and a small autoexec that launches jazz automatically) is fairly superfluous too when he could accomplish all that with shortcut parameters, but that wasn't the issue here.
JustRob

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2010, 10:12 PM
Still no go. Tried those files, tried reinstalling Dosbox several times... Nada.

I'm through with it, I guess it just doesn't wanna work on my PC.