Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

An idea to solve port forwarding issues.

Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

May 15, 2007, 03:03 PM
An idea to solve port forwarding issues.

I was messing around today connecting two Xbox 360's to Xbox Live at the same time from the same connection using UPnP and it led me to this idea which could be useful for JJ2.

Basically, practically every router out these days has something called 'UPnP' enabled and the ones that don't, can usually have it enabled with ease.

UPnP is Universal Plug and Plug which is a network technology widely deployed with Windows XP and Windows Vista and most home routers.

It allows applications to automatically request ports to be open to allow communications back and fourth from behind a NAT.

For example, when you connect to Xbox Live from an Xbox Console, it automatically opens ports it requires on your router, saving you have to set it up. Or like in Windows Live Messenger when you make a voice/video chat, or send a file it opens the ports needed. Its known as zero-config because it requires no network knowledge or configuration by the end user.

So why don't we adapt this for JJ2? I don't mean including it into the Jazz2 executable, well thats maybe possible but not required. But a simple program coded by one of our residental coders that would automatically connect to a UPnP enabled router and open the required ports for JJ2 to function.

It could solve a lot of problems for people playing who don't understand how their routers operate, or have difficulty setting up port forwards.

Secondly, this would also work without any of the nasty setting up static IP addresses and issues like that arousing with port forwarding. As even if networked PC is using DHCP to get IP addresses and keeps changing, the program can be run each and every time and set up the port forward.

I know there are a few routers that don't have UPnP enabled, but hey if it helps 90% of users, its worth looking into

Its just an idea, but something that maybe is worth some people looking into, it would solve so many problems

JCF Member

Xtreem has disabled reputation

May 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
This program will do sort of what you want, it will list all the ports that have been opened by upnp enabled applications and allow you to add/remove ports.

http://www.codeproject.com/internet/PortForward.asp

What might be more useful though is you can download the source code so someone could easy make an application where you push a button to open the ports jj2 needs and another to close them.

Nice idea for a program! I’m sure quite a few people would find that useful.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

May 15, 2007, 04:31 PM
Sounds like a good idea. A bit of digging in the docs shows various poorly-documented ways to do makes this work, however VB6 and Windows don't like me at the moment. I'll have another go when I'm properly awake.

Neobeo

JCF Member

Neobeo is an asset to this forumNeobeo is an asset to this forum

May 15, 2007, 04:36 PM
I think it might as well be embedded into the Jazz2 executable. The client uses a random port for the UDP connection (can be explicitly chosen using BlurredD's patch though), and it would be quite messy to determine which port was used in order to forward it. An alternative would be to use both BlurredD's patch and the standalone port-forwarding program.

Also, I might be wrong, but it seems that the routers that support UPnP are the more "modern" ones, which would already be able to run JJ2 without any port forwarding at all. In general, I think the server would be more likely to benefit from this implementation, since the server TCP port could be forwarded automatically.
Neobeo's Firetruck

</TD><TD>Myths:
Jazz Creation Station Plus (JCS+) - 10%
Coming soon - a dedicated server! - 25%
Jazz Sprite Dynamite v2 (JSDv2) - 2%
Another generic single-player level - 0%
</TD></TR></TABLE>

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

May 15, 2007, 05:10 PM
Just recode hamachi so our network can hold as many users as we want (and make jj2 automatically launch the client/embed it):>

JCF Member

nakke is doing well so far

May 16, 2007, 04:14 AM
UPnP is great on paper, but to my knowledge many routers implement it really poorly. For example with our Linksys WRT54GL, UPnP works when you boot up the router, but apparently it doesn't announce itself after boot at all or something, so UPnP stops working after like an hour or so. It's enabled and all in the web interface, too, and the router has the newest firmware.

Btw, when UPnP works, you can set up port forwardings from Network Connections -> Internet Gateway.
<div style="margin:0 auto;background: #020202; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; width:635px; height:40px;padding-top:26px;text-align:center;font-weight:bold;font-family:georgia;font-size:10px;color:#FFF;"><a href="irc://irc.quakenet.org/[TF]" STYLE="text-decoration: none;color:#FFF;">"The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club."</a></div>
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

May 16, 2007, 05:29 AM
Big flaw- a lot of routers don't even have UPnP enabled at first anyway, so the end user would still need the knowledge to enable it.
Nimrod

JCF Member

May 16, 2007, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytolle View Post
Just recode hamachi so our network can hold as many users as we want (and make jj2 automatically launch the client/embed it):>
While Hamachi is useful for JJ2 players who can't play online via the normal method, it does have its own problems. The whole idea of Hamachi is not to play JJ2 online, but to create a local lan with people over the internet.

Using Hamachi basically removes the security offered to you by having a firewall and a router. They become part of your local secure network.

Secondly most firewalls dont block a lot of Hamachi traffic because it appears to be coming from a local network source (Windows Firewall is an example of this). Its dangerous and I would recommend being high cautions of who you play with.

To try and suggest that be the new online play, its quite frankly quite scary and shows little understanding to security. The person your playing doesnt have to be a 'hacker' as such, if there PC is infected with viruses, worms, trojans and such your security is at risk. So people may not mean harm, but could be harmful.

Basically if your going to suggest people use Hamachi, you might as well ask them to plug their PC directly into their internet connection and turn off any firewall. (How many people would do that?)

While I do see the benefits of Hamachi, and have myself used it with fellow Digiex Admins, it still doesnt outway the risks and is no way suited to play with 'random people' on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakke View Post
UPnP is great on paper, but to my knowledge many routers implement it really poorly. For example with our Linksys WRT54GL, UPnP works when you boot up the router, but apparently it doesn't announce itself after boot at all or something, so UPnP stops working after like an hour or so. It's enabled and all in the web interface, too, and the router has the newest firmware.

Btw, when UPnP works, you can set up port forwardings from Network Connections -> Internet Gateway.
Had someone with the exact same problem, you could look into DD-WRT and various other custom firmwares for your Linksys Router, the UPnP in them works much better. Though do read about the risks of upgrading to custom firewares as well before you try anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPX View Post
Big flaw- a lot of routers don't even have UPnP enabled at first anyway, so the end user would still need the knowledge to enable it.
Learn to read the thread before replying.

JCF Member

nakke is doing well so far

May 16, 2007, 06:34 AM
I already made my computer be before the router (with a switch that is), port forwarding even with UPnP is somewhat of a nuisance.

I know of DD-WRT, but I don't think that many users (these linksys models are pretty popular, right?) would be willing to take the risk of bricking their router or even have access to do that (eg dad has the configuration password).
<div style="margin:0 auto;background: #020202; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; width:635px; height:40px;padding-top:26px;text-align:center;font-weight:bold;font-family:georgia;font-size:10px;color:#FFF;"><a href="irc://irc.quakenet.org/[TF]" STYLE="text-decoration: none;color:#FFF;">"The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club."</a></div>

Last edited by nakke; May 17, 2007 at 08:30 AM.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

May 16, 2007, 02:46 PM
Just do it.

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

May 16, 2007, 07:29 PM
Whoever makes this idea come to life will be my best friend and idol for all time.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

May 17, 2007, 12:55 AM
Would it work over ICS? I've been trying to get JJ2 working on ICS clients for months now without a solution (though I know there is a solution somewhere ). This would, at least, help many people with router problems. I don't like the idea of implementing it into Jazz2.exe, we shouldn't make too many modifications to that, as different modifications may become incompatible with one another. (Just look at phpBB MODs ;p )

JCF Member

May 17, 2007, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest View Post
Would it work over ICS? I've been trying to get JJ2 working on ICS clients for months now without a solution (though I know there is a solution somewhere ). This would, at least, help many people with router problems. I don't like the idea of implementing it into Jazz2.exe, we shouldn't make too many modifications to that, as different modifications may become incompatible with one another. (Just look at phpBB MODs ;p )
IT works with ICS as long as the PC's are running Windows XP or Vista, UPnP is enabled by default and works

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

May 17, 2007, 10:41 AM
Great =D Get a programmer over here please ;p

JCF Member

niek is doing well so far

May 18, 2007, 09:47 AM
A little bit off topic, but I have a problem with my new internet connection & Jazz2. Everytime I join a game, the response will fail after a bunch of seconds. I have ports forwarded and UPnP enabled in my router, but it just doesn't work. How can I make JJ2 work? Anyway, the idea for this kind of program is great!

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

May 18, 2007, 01:36 PM
try blur's port selector if you didnt already

JCF Member

niek is doing well so far

May 18, 2007, 09:37 PM
Blur's program didn't work for me even with the suggested port number forwarded. Other games run fine actually.
NovaStar

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

May 19, 2007, 02:31 AM
That's exactly what we're trying to fix using the program r_r

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

May 19, 2007, 05:11 AM
Just to let you know I've not forgotten. Windows just *really* hates me at the moment (runaway windows update process, followed by BSoD, followed by *another* BSoD)

Old May 19, 2007, 07:44 AM
Black Ninja
This message has been deleted by FQuist. Reason: off-topic talk about windows vs. mac vs. linux
Old May 21, 2007, 03:23 AM
Nimrod
This message has been deleted by FQuist. Reason: off-topic talk about windows vs. mac vs. linux
Old May 28, 2007, 02:30 PM
Dermo
Old May 28, 2007, 02:33 PM
ShadeJackrabbit
Old May 28, 2007, 04:44 PM
Black Ninja
Old May 28, 2007, 05:04 PM
n00b