PDA

View Full Version : Complaints

ShadeJackrabbit
Oct 17, 2005, 02:34 PM
I take it we can post because this topic isn't locked. I have noticed that a certain few have been buggin, 1 as far as harrasing me whenever I post. Why has nothing been done about it when it is obvious and they have been asked to stop?

< Note: This thread was split from another thread. The title can be changed if the author wishes. -Link >

LittleFreak
Oct 18, 2005, 02:41 AM
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showpost.php?p=313221&postcount=3
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showpost.php?p=313222&postcount=4
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showpost.php?p=313292&postcount=14
etc.

Just to name a few examples.

cooba
Oct 18, 2005, 06:20 AM
Alright, I'm stopping being hostile towards Zapper PUBLICALLY because I ended up being just like one of the hostile people who hypothetically killed the JMMB, and obviously if this place would die then I would have nowhere to go on the internet. <!----However if the JCF DOES die, then I can only blame zapper.>

Link
Oct 18, 2005, 07:56 AM
A quick look at some threads reveals that this has indeed been a problem. I don't visit those forums, normally, so I would be uncomfortable doing something at this point, but you could try contacting administrators/moderators who are active in those forums (Fquist maybe?). If you think that an individual post should have something done about it, you can also use the "Report" feature.

That said, there are very few guidelines in place for how to deal with trolling. The administration agrees that it is a problem, but we haven't really decided on how to deal with it. This is maybe why more has not been done in cases like these.

FQuist
Oct 18, 2005, 07:51 PM
I've been mostly unavailable the past week, which is why I did not see it and did stop it and I also do not have the resources to deal with this right now in a careful enough way (I´ve, like Link, missed the context too). You should know that some posts might go unnoticed at times and that when you think a post has not been dealt with that should´ve been dealt with, that you can always PM the active moderators or administrators or use the report button. Do never assume the administrators are omnipotent, even though some (Derby!) might seem to be sometimes. A little help from users in moderating will speed up things.

I also agree with Link on the trolling. At a first quick sight it seems that it´s not something I´d immediately remove because it seems not to be a direct personal attack. If it´s systematic (you claim it is? can you cite more threads?) a user might be given a warning for systematicly being a negative contribution to the forum.

Stijn
Oct 19, 2005, 02:46 AM
... Do never assume the administrators are omnipotent, even though some (Derby!) might seem to be sometimes. A little help from users in moderating will speed up things...
Shouldn't that be "omnipresent"?

White Rabbit
Oct 19, 2005, 04:16 AM
I've tried standing up for Zapper in the past, in his .j2e maker thread, because I didn't like the way people were treating him (but, honestly, we are not actually close friends at all).

This doesn't appear to be a serious matter, nor has it been continuing for a long time, but we should put a stop to it anyway. In fact, it has probably already been stopped after the creation of this thread.

PS. Being omnipotent means that you are able to become omnipresent. :D

Fawriel
Oct 19, 2005, 04:32 AM
If Derby was omnipotent, he could cause people to go "beep" whenever they say a bad word.. in real life. D=

LittleFreak
Oct 19, 2005, 06:38 AM
Am I the only one who thought about something dirty when hearing "omnipotent"? ;o

Grytolle
Oct 20, 2005, 12:27 AM
Nope. =)

MoonBlazE
Oct 20, 2005, 12:40 AM
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showpost.php?p=313221&postcount=3
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showpost.php?p=313222&postcount=4
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showpost.php?p=313292&postcount=14
Stupid kids.

Grytolle
Oct 20, 2005, 05:48 AM
It's not like there is any need to take that seriously... :-/

LittleFreak
Oct 20, 2005, 08:18 AM
It's still not fun when you get bullied all the time. I know how that is from real life.

n00b
Oct 20, 2005, 04:50 PM
Zapper, that second one was directed at me being offtopic.
It seems you are over reacting.
EDIT- Oh, and how was blacky's post offensive?
EDIT2- (1). Also two wrongs don't make a right, being annoying back just goes on to you adding on to the problem.<And no one has threatend to try and get you banned, so shup>

&lt; Inappropriate comment removal. -Link &gt;

Link
Oct 20, 2005, 05:15 PM
It's not like there is any need to take that seriously... :-/Their words may not have been serious, but their intent certainly was.

I'm not sure if any punishment will be given, but I have deleted all of the offending posts and their replies from the Jazz X wish list thread. That seemed to be the worst out of those linked here.

If something similar had happened in Misc (which I visit regularly), I would have deleted them without being prompted. This does not set a precedent. Also, though I sympathize with ZAPPER, the posts were not deleted based on my personal opinion. They were deleted, as with all trolling, because they detract from the forum's quality and undermine the actual purposes of a thread.

Blackraptor
Oct 20, 2005, 05:34 PM
I'm getting errors viewing the links here. And I'm curious as to what I said was offensive.

Grytolle
Oct 21, 2005, 01:20 AM
Their words may not have been serious, but their intent certainly was.

I'm not sure if any punishment will be given, but I have deleted all of the offending posts and their replies from the Jazz X wish list thread. That seemed to be the worst out of those linked here.

If something similar had happened in Misc (which I visit regularly), I would have deleted them without being prompted. This does not set a precedent. Also, though I sympathize with ZAPPER, the posts were not deleted based on my personal opinion. They were deleted, as with all trolling, because they detract from the forum's quality and undermine the actual purposes of a thread.Yes, let's remove all concentration camps too, that will solve everything, bring all the victims back and stuff :o

LittleFreak
Oct 21, 2005, 03:37 AM
Zapper, that second one was directed at me being offtopic.
It seems you are over reacting.
EDIT- Oh, and how was blacky's post offensive?
EDIT2- (1). Also two wrongs don't make a right, being annoying back just goes on to you adding on to the problem.<AND to you shup so banned, get and try threatend has one no>

< Inappropriate comment removal. -Link >

I would like you to bring up an example of Zapper being annoying to you (with link please).

And Gry, you can't compare that.

It's like bombing New York and then saying "Everybody deserves a second chance!".

Grytolle
Oct 21, 2005, 04:47 AM
I would like you to bring up an example of Zapper being annoying to you (with link please).Zapper threatened to become annoying... He hasn't been annoying yet.And Gry, you can't compare that.I just did... There's no principal difference.It's like bombing New York and then saying "Everybody deserves a second chance!".People that bombed other got a second chance... Are you saying that the people of N.Y. are of a greater value than those of other cities? :O Furthermore, that didn't really make sense ;S

LittleFreak
Oct 21, 2005, 05:38 AM
First off, I didn't want to offend people in New York in anyway. I just picked the first city that came to mind.

Well, maybe that was a stupid example, but what I mean is that concentration camps are not the same as offending posts.

The posts were deleted so there isn't any further arguing and because it just doesn't belong to the topic.

A concentration camp is just, a different thing than a post in a forum.

ShadeJackrabbit
Oct 21, 2005, 01:25 PM
I'm getting errors viewing the links here. And I'm curious as to what I said was offensive.
Quite simply:
You continued a fight by reporting me for no reason. At least, you didn't specify a reason. Just:
I report you to death. >:-(
Or something like that.

Fawriel
Oct 21, 2005, 01:32 PM
..that was not offensive, that was just silliness. You have much to learn, Zapper. I think relaxing would be a good first step. Mind Hanlon's razor. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." Not that most people here are stupid, but they tend to like to act like it.

Link
Oct 21, 2005, 02:19 PM
I am closing this thread because its original intent has been satisfied, and it is turning into an argument. From an administrator's point of view, the issue is finished, and further arguing about it is useless. If you have a comment about how it was dealt with, you may send me a private message.

It would be acceptable to discuss the issue of trolling on a general scale, as it is an ongoing problem here at the JCF, and I think the administration would be interested in user opinions. If someone would like to discuss this, they can create a new thread.