Thread: JJ2 Bug Trivia
View Single Post

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jul 24, 2005, 12:56 AM
This post turned out to be a lot longer than I originally planned.

Since no one else has the answer, I'll explain the bug. The first thing you need to know is how JJ2 handles player positions for clients that join or rejoin a server. Better yet, I'll just focus on rejoining players. So it's known that the server stores positions of players after they leave, as seen in the seeker hole problem. And most people would assume that the player position (where you could see a "lag clone") simply moves from where the first client left to where the new player starts in the level. That's not the case since there's an extra path in the middle, which is one to the top left, and then to the start position. I'm not sure exactly why it happens, but it does. In case you got lost in my explanation, here's an image that should help:

Capturing a flag on rejoin isn't as much of a problem as capturing a flag through death (not necessarily dying on the flag) or through warping since these last two cases can happen often within a single game. Fixing all of these problems isn't needed for a normal CTF level, but should be a concern in making levels for gametypes such as Team Battle and Assassination. My solution (for TB) looks something like this:
Code:
         || BB-W1   RB-W2
         ||
 Playing ||
  area   ||
         ||
 WT3 WT4 || W3-WT1  W4-WT2
BB=Blue Base System
RB=Red Base System
W=Warp
WT=Warp Target

The "base system" (as I'm calling it) is just two bases for the same team properly set up within tubes going to the right. All of the bases are placed at the top right of the level (the higher the better). The pipes divide the two areas of the level, and each dash indicates the two should be connected (most likely with tubes). The start positions and the Jail 2 concept should be placed to the left of each base system. I highly recommend aligning the warp from the base system with the warp target below, and making that warp target as close to the bottom as possible. WT3 and WT4 in my example can be placed just about anywhere in the playing area (I also recommend using different ID's for the warp targets that lead to the arena, but it is optional). Of course if you understand everything I've mentioned and can see why I designed my system that way, you can just use whatever system you feel like using without having any problems. This is all I have to say on this subject for now.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

Last edited by blurredd; Jul 24, 2005 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Fixed some ambiguous information.