Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2 Bug Trivia

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jul 3, 2005, 03:07 AM
No splitscreens were used, Ragnarok. Try recreating the level and conducting some tests if you think it's too hard.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

Jul 17, 2005, 03:54 PM
I was hoping that more people would try to figure out the latest bug since it exposes a flaw present in most TB levels and gives attention of another flaw. But, since EvilMike knows what it is, and Dizzy figured it out (it's not that difficult really), I might just post the answer soon.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Jul 19, 2005, 07:46 PM
It helps to do some testing first, and it has a somewhat similar answer to the first bug in this thread.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Jul 23, 2005, 11:56 PM
This post turned out to be a lot longer than I originally planned.

Since no one else has the answer, I'll explain the bug. The first thing you need to know is how JJ2 handles player positions for clients that join or rejoin a server. Better yet, I'll just focus on rejoining players. So it's known that the server stores positions of players after they leave, as seen in the seeker hole problem. And most people would assume that the player position (where you could see a "lag clone") simply moves from where the first client left to where the new player starts in the level. That's not the case since there's an extra path in the middle, which is one to the top left, and then to the start position. I'm not sure exactly why it happens, but it does. In case you got lost in my explanation, here's an image that should help:

Capturing a flag on rejoin isn't as much of a problem as capturing a flag through death (not necessarily dying on the flag) or through warping since these last two cases can happen often within a single game. Fixing all of these problems isn't needed for a normal CTF level, but should be a concern in making levels for gametypes such as Team Battle and Assassination. My solution (for TB) looks something like this:
Code:
         || BB-W1   RB-W2
         ||
 Playing ||
  area   ||
         ||
 WT3 WT4 || W3-WT1  W4-WT2
BB=Blue Base System
RB=Red Base System
W=Warp
WT=Warp Target

The "base system" (as I'm calling it) is just two bases for the same team properly set up within tubes going to the right. All of the bases are placed at the top right of the level (the higher the better). The pipes divide the two areas of the level, and each dash indicates the two should be connected (most likely with tubes). The start positions and the Jail 2 concept should be placed to the left of each base system. I highly recommend aligning the warp from the base system with the warp target below, and making that warp target as close to the bottom as possible. WT3 and WT4 in my example can be placed just about anywhere in the playing area (I also recommend using different ID's for the warp targets that lead to the arena, but it is optional). Of course if you understand everything I've mentioned and can see why I designed my system that way, you can just use whatever system you feel like using without having any problems. This is all I have to say on this subject for now.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

Last edited by blurredd; Jul 24, 2005 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Fixed some ambiguous information.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Jul 24, 2005, 01:51 AM
Couldn't you just physically avoid the problem by building your TB level so that no matter where you die, you cannot possibly capture the flag by going, via the shortest route, I presume, to the top-left corner? If you, for example, are planning to build a rectangular level, you could just place both bases in the top-right corner instead, because that's the opposite direction in which people leave/rejoin.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Aug 22, 2005, 07:51 PM
Turbo Turtles

click here

Just found this out by accident today. Pretty fun, although not that easy to use practically. The link will lead you to a small avi file which demonstrates the turbo turtles.

I'll post the j2l file I recored this in once someone figures out what I did.

Last edited by EvilMike; Aug 22, 2005 at 08:06 PM.

JCF Member

Aug 22, 2005, 11:56 PM
I don't have the right codecs. What did you use?

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Aug 23, 2005, 12:40 AM
Spotty did the encoding for me, since I don't have the right software. He used a very common one though. I'll tell him to post here.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 23, 2005, 01:13 AM
Without looking at that movie I predict that it contains Tuf Turtles that were given hyper walking speed by damaging (but not killing) them with TNT. Am I right?

JCF Member

Aug 23, 2005, 01:41 AM
Does TNT then have a damaging radius, as in, the closer enemies are to it, the more damage they receive?

JCF Member

Aug 23, 2005, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sers^^
Without looking at that movie I predict that it contains Tuf Turtles that were given hyper walking speed by damaging (but not killing) them with TNT. Am I right?
Correct. Also works with skeletons.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 02:35 AM
Ragnarok!
This message has been deleted by Ragnarok!.