Anniversary Bash 19 is coming - March 24th 2017
Source: JCF Thread
Since Jazz 2’s release in April 1998, it’s become an annual tradition to get together and celebrate with twenty or so Battle and CTF levels, some made in the last year (often at the last minute) and some drawn from JJ2’s long history of great level design. And now it’s almost time for another one! Treylina, the event organizer, has all the details on the JCF, but here’s the important bits:
AB19 will begin April 14 and run till April 17, Friday to Monday. Recent tradition has the first two days playing straight Battle/CTF matches, then the last two days spicing it up with alternate gamemodes and/or mutators. As such, having JJ2+ will be required in order to join the bash server.
At this time the two level lists have not been finalized. If you want to make any new levels for the bash, you have until April 12 to submit them, although obviously sooner is better than later so they can be tested more thoroughly. Contact Treylina or PurpleJazz if you have any specific questions.
Tell your friends! Traditionally a lot of people who haven’t been playing so actively of late will come back to play specifically for the anniversary bash, so it’s important to get the word out there that it’s happening again. :) Look forward to it!
Jazz cameo in Horizon Zero Dawn - March 19th 2017
Source: h/t/ Skunk Shampoo
Horizon Zero Dawn is a video game that came out recently for the PS4, and a few people on YouTube have noticed it includes a cameo-of-sorts from Jazz. Here’s a representative video. As you can see, there are two non-threatening rabbits, and one of them is named Jazz and the other is named… Jack.
Yeah, it’s kind of a least-possible-effort cameo, but at least one of them drops a green item when killed.
Scripting contest: recreate old hoaxes - March 6th 2017
Source: JCF thread
FireSword is running a contest with an unusual but fun objective: use JJ2+‘s new features to recreate those old hoaxes that showed JJ2 doing then-impossible things. Remember the 1.25 april fools joke? Those and other hoax-y screenshots would actually be feasible with a little scripting finesse, and FireSword is putting a prize out for whoever does it best.
It’s not clear what the prize will actually be, but it’s promised to be “relatively big”, so get scripting if that sounds enticing – the tentative deadline is April 1st (how fitting).
(And remember, the Assault the Base contest is still running as well!)
JDC season 26 starts next Friday - February 13th 2017
Source: JDC newspost
Hooray! A new JDC season! New scoring system, new website, new events, get hype. Dust off your LFG and get ready to determine Who Will be the Star of This JDC next week – it starts on Friday the 17th.
All the info is in the announcement on JDC, so go over there and read up on the changes this season brings.
Good luck to You all!
Poll ticks - February 1st 2017
|None at all--I like the top of the screen empty.||3 votes (8%)|
|I press F9 once in order to see the player list.||10 votes (27%)|
|I press F9 twice because I like the additional info||5 votes (13%)|
|I'm constantly cycling through F9 stages||6 votes (16%)|
|I leave the screen clear but press Tab when I'm curious||8 votes (22%)|
|I press F9 but also press Tab sometimes to reorder the list||0 vote (0%)|
|I don't play multiplayer, so I don't understand the question||4 votes (11%)|
|Total votes: 36|
Well, I think we’ve all learned something about ourselves today. Namely that a majority of you are wrong. But let’s give some love to the single player side of things and ask about what cheat codes you use there, or at least what cheat codes you use when periodically testing a level that you’re working on.
JCS Awards 2016: The Results - January 18th 2017
The results are in!
Best Battle Level of 2016
Best CTF Level of 2016
Best SP Release of 2016
Best JCSer of 2016
Thank you to everyone for all their hard work in keeping the JCS scene alive in 2016, and thank you to all who voted! Who knows, maybe 2017 will finally be your year… ;)This was posted on RabbitJournal on January 18th 2017. You can post, too!
Jazz 1 to be speedrun at Awesome Games Done Quick - January 3rd 2017
Source: AGDQ Schedule
As was the case a couple years ago, Jazz Jackrabbit will be featured in this winter’s edition of the Awesome Games Done Quick marathon.
Games Done Quick is a series of charity video game marathons. These events feature high-level gameplay by speedrunners raising money for charity. Games Done Quick has teamed up with several charities in its six-year history, including Doctors Without Borders and the Prevent Cancer Foundation.
JJ1 will be speedrun by CapnClever.
JCS Awards 2016 - January 2nd 2017
Perhaps you weren’t so happy with the way world events played out in 2016, or it could’ve been the best year of your life for other reasons. Regardless, as we look to the future we now have the chance to reflect on the last 365 days. It’s the annual event that all JCSers look forward to! Check out the JCF thread and cast your votes!
Voting closes on 15th January at 23:59 GMT+1.This was posted on RabbitJournal on January 2nd 2017. You can post, too!
Happy holidays! - December 25th 2016
Aaaaaand it’s that time of the year again! The Jazz2Online staff wishes you all a (slightly belated) merry christmas and a spectacular new year. Enjoy the last bits of 2016!
News Roundup - December 12th 2016
Source: this very website tbh
- Remember this post about Nick Stadler coming across a cache of JJ2 artwork? Well, Jazz J. followed up about this on Twitter and was told that much of the work was destroyed. No more details have emerged yet but it’s not looking promising.
- Long-running Jazz 2 recode project Project Carrot has just posted a new update video, the first since May, “including features such as the lighting system, positional sound, bonus warps, the base for the Freezer weapon, and a number of other newly implemented events.”
- If you’re looking for a way to spend your time inside in these cold winter months, we’ve got some fresh single player experiences for you in the Downloads section. Blackraptor has released a massive update to his old Generic Single Player Level, making it the “biggest standalone single player level ever released,” and Speaktrap just finished a metroidvania-inspired level using the HauntedH tileset. And if you still haven’t played Forest Forgotten from long-time SP enthusiast Spaztic, there’s no time like the present!
- Did we mention a new JJ2+ got released the other day? Most of the server list has been updated by now, though there are a few 5.3 holdouts still.
- Somewhere there is a school teacher who likes JJ1.
- There are some new interesting sprites and tiles in the Jazz Jackrabbit Custom Sprites section of The Spriters Resource. The Jazz 1 page got some significant updates recently as well.
- After 7 years, The Last Guardian has been released.