Necessary Downloads to play online
To play Jazz Jackrabbit online you'll need several things.
You should absolutely get:
JJ2+ (beta) - A large and essential fan-made JJ2 patch. Has many bugfixes and new features, such as the new Team Battle and Last Rabbit Standing gametypes, spectator mode and game scripting. Most online servers use and often even require this patch.
If you own the game via GOG, there is no need to install the patch manually. Go to the game download page for The Secret Files, and choose "Jazz Jackrabbit 2 with JJ2+" under game goodies. Or if you use their GOG Galaxy client, go to Game Settings for The Secret Files, set "Beta Channels" to "On" on the right side of the screen, and choose the "JJ2+ Mod" channel. This will install a pre-patched version of the game for you.
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 1.21 to 1.23 patch - If you have the original version of Jazz Jackabbit 2 (not any of the expansion packs, The Secret Files or Christmas Chronicles), you will need to install the 1.23 patch. You won't be able to play online or install JJ2+ without it. The patch updates the files in your Jazz Jackrabbit 2 directory. It will also fix several bugs in the game and add several features. This patch was released by the game's developer, Epic Games.
Note: if you get error messages about your game version when running the patch, try if the following forum topic clears things up: Versions of Jazz Jackrabbit 2, and why patches don't work.
Other (optional) patches and applications
Multiplayer launchers open up extra multiplayer features in Jazz Jackrabbit 2, and (usually) ease the process of starting servers.
- DJazz's SGIP is an online server list with a lot of server information and one-click join links that work with the latest version of JJ2+.
- JazzForce is a very versatile launcher with a lot of options.
- JazzTool - This launcher is preferred by most people because it shows server ping times.
Name and fur editing
These programs offer an easy way to customize your in-game name and your character's colours
- JazzEd - This is a pretty nice fur and name color-changing tool made by Aiko.
- JazzTool - JazzTool allows you to edit your name and color. It also shows you a preview!
- Jazz Commander - Keep track of your Jazz Jackrabbit 2 files easily.
- Jazz 2 Organizer - This is another program to order all of your Jazz Jackrabbit 2 files.
- TilesetPal - If you create a tileset and find the 256 colour limit restrictive, TilesetPal can optimize the palette of your tileset to take full advantage of it.