View Single Post

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 3, 2012, 09:51 AM
Lightbulb JDC 21 and beyond

It's winter, and understandably, others and I have been hearing questions about a next JDC season again. Last season we've heard several words there and there that "JDC is not fun", and every season there's the problem of players heavily losing interest towards the season's end. I believe these ideas can help JDC a lot!

There's a number of ways in which JDC could be made more fresh. The first that comes to mind would be a new scoring system. We've actually had an idea for a new system by Gry and EvilMike since 2007, and I think it would be an improvement. I'm not going to quote the entire thread here (unless you lot want me to!), but in a nutshell, it's a simpler and subjectively more fair system than the current one we have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike
This system rewards activity a lot. All duels are worth "raw points", much like in the early jdc. But on the other hand, the amount of points very much depends on skill. While this will probably encourage some people do duel obsessively for maximum points, we must remember that every system we've used has some flaws in it, and there are always ways to try to curb such problems. The key is really to make a fun system that encourages people to be active - jdc is not a "serious" tournament like some others are, and can afford to have a system that rewards more than just raw skill.
Another idea worth considering, and one we'll probably be doing nonetheless, is bringing back JDCE. In case you don't remember, JDCE was essentially a traditional duel tournament that ran alongside JDC 7. (more information here) Even though JDCE eventually failed, I think it's fair to say JJ2 has changed since then, and trying it again would be worth it. Ragnarok tells me he's up for doing this next season.

I think JDCE and the new system would have some good synergy, too, and that change would be beneficial. Of course, implementing those changes would take some time, which would possibly mean no JDC this winter. While it would be reasonably easy and quick to set up another season, I don't really want to repeat everything once again, while there's an alternative.

If you have any questions or ideas, do post them!