Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Palette Events

Biohazard UOI

JCF Member

Biohazard UOI is doing well so far

Jul 30, 2004, 03:37 AM
Question Palette Events

Hey, just so you guys know, I released my tileset, the BioCorridor last night. Go check it out .

My question is this. Cooba writes in his review of my tileset:

On the other hand, from all palette events only carrot from carrot pinball bumper works. I can understand lack of trees and weird totems, but pinball stuff would fit in here as well. =(

What are palette events? I know that this palette gave me lots of grief. Is this just referring to the events using the Jazz2 sprite colors? Cuz I don't think I changed any of those. Help!
<a href="http://www.thejohndenleyband.com">The John Denley Band</a><br><font size="2"><i>You never know.. but you usually do.</i> - another one of Ben's many, but not necessarily wise, sayings.</font>

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jul 30, 2004, 03:46 AM
Straight from Disguise's Tilesets Resource:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise
While most events in Jazz2 make use of the Jazz2 palette, there are some exceptions. Much like the event tiles that make use of your tileset image for some events, there is another set of events that need specific palette entries out of your palette. As far as I know this set of events doesn’t have a name yet (apart from the names of the individual events), so I’ll just call them palette events. It makes sense.

There are quite a few cons about these events. They can be very messy in terms of palette entries, using them all over the place and even in locations needed by other palette events. They also need quite a few colours, and people using the 24-bit drawing method need as many colours as possible. This makes it impossible to have a tileset that has all the event tiles working, so don’t worry too much about them. Luckily the palette events aren’t that important, if you have one or two working that fits the theme of your tileset then it will be fine. These palette events are (names mentioned below are the event names used in JCS):

• Carrotus pole
  • Diamondus pole
  • Jungle pole
  • Psych pole
  • Small Tree
  • PIN: 500 Bump
  • PIN: Carrot Bump
  • PIN: Left Paddle
  • PIN: Right Paddle
  • Snow
  • Water Level

Note: Even though the palette events make use of the palette, if the colours aren’t placed in the tileset image they will be replaced by JCS. To fix this just save the palette as a bitmap image in Palette Suite and place it inside your tileset. The colours must also be unique or they will be erased and other palette entries will be used instead, removing the required entries needed by the palette events.