Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Archived forums (closed for posting) » War Tavern

ToU Part 3! Come join in before it becomes 40 pages!

JCF Member

Ae has disabled reputation

Jan 8, 2006, 05:33 PM
Fix up the partially fallen down tent, and eat some snackfood. Explore the tent.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 9, 2006, 10:48 AM
Tell Araches to set the tent on fire. Then have everyone warm up.

JCF Member

Jan 9, 2006, 12:06 PM
Do what all three of us said, in a logical order.

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Jan 9, 2006, 12:47 PM
I kneeled down next to the backpack to gather up the food. It was nothing special; a few bags of generic potato chips. I opened the backpack the rest of the way. Inside, along two food bars of some kind, was what looked to be the man's PDA, GPS, or some other electronic device. A large crack was running across the screen, and all the buttons were nonfunctional. The switch on the side was already set for "on", suggesting that the batteries were dead too.
Strangely enough, I didn't find any empty bags of food. This could mean two things, I thought to myself. One, the man decided to dispose of his wrappers in the bottomless pit in order to keep the evil lair nice and clean; or two, the man didn't last long enough to eat anything. I tried to keep my mind off the latter, packing the food back into the pack and throwing it over my shoulder. These adventurer people are usually pretty environment-friendly.
The tent didn't require many repairs; just propping a support back upright. There wasn't much more inside; a folded up sleeping bag (some loose feathers suggested down) and an icy, light blue gemstone, maybe a piece of the tunnel that had broken loose. It looked to be carved into an angular, irregular shape. Likely the man had used it to test the strength of the walls.
"Araches," I said, coming out of the tent, "ignite the tent. We could use some heat." The sorceress obliged, striking a dramatic pose and throwing a bolt of lightning at the structure. It didn't catch on fire, though a hole melted through it. Fooruman pulled out a marshmallow on a stick and stuck it in the gooey blotch of melted material. Nobody dared ask where he got the marshmallow.

Inventory

Code:
Bag of chips Bag of chips Bag of chips Generic bars of what is presumably food Gem thing PDA Sleeping bag Katana
I'm omitting the backpack because it's presumably what is holding your inventory.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Jan 9, 2006, 12:59 PM
Ask Fooruman where he got the marshmellow. North.

JCF Member

Jan 9, 2006, 01:25 PM
And give a bag of chips to Fawriel and the Mythslayer.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 9, 2006, 03:47 PM
"Fooruman," I addressed the wizard, "where did you get that marshmallow?"
The archmage paused, briefly staring into space as though lost in thought. He propped the canoe paddle up against the side of the wall and pushed lightly, sliding the canoe in my general direction. It gradually deaccelerated as it approached me, coming to almost a complete stop at my feet. The old man, his head still tilted downwards as if a great burden weighed upon his mind, focused his eyes up at mine. He opened his mouth as if to speak, but paused, his brow twitching subtly as though rethinking what he was about to say. He raised a crooked hand, beckoning me to lean closer. I obliged. He put his mouth to my ear, and whispered a single word: "Destiny."
He paused after this. His head turned up towards mine, and his hand pulled mine closer. "But now," he continued, his other hand releasing the paddle and resting upon mine. His voice was calm, yet serious, as he slipped something into my palm. "But now," he repeated, "it is your destiny."
I looked at the marshmallow. It was kind of sticky, and had bits of melted plastic on it. "Oh... okay. Thanks."
"Let's go NORTH," Uberbob suggested. Everyone obliged.
As we walked, I moved over towards Fawriel and the Mythslayer.
"Hey," I said, "you guys are probably the most important people with us right now, so keeping you alive is a priority. I handed a bag of generic-brand chips to both of them.
"Er," Fawriel said, a bit nervously, "I still have food. Save this for Leetzan."
The Mythslayer kept his. "About time you used me for something besides trap-testing." He pulled the bag open and ate one. "Mm. Generic."

The room the hallway led to was something new, at least. The walls and ceiling were again dome shaped, and had no visible exits other than the way we came in. The floor, however, glowed a brilliant white, illuminating the entire room. At the center stood a single crystaline pyramid, about six inches tall. Uberbob approached it. "This looks important. We should probably take it and run."
Leetzan lingered back towards the doorway. "It l0oks like a trap," she said.
Araches nodded with agreement. "Nobody leaves a shiny, valuable thing in the middle of a room unless it's a death trap."
I wasn't sure what it meant, but it did look dangerous. The sparkle of something else, however, caught my eye. I walked towards the corner of the room and looked down. Jammed in the corner lay a single, delicate fragment of crystal, not even one quarter an inch in width, perfectly round, and pointed on both sides like a toothpick.

Inventory

Code:
Marshmallow on a stick Bag of chips Bag of chips Generic bars of what is presumably food Gem thing PDA Sleeping bag Katana

Banned

Jan 9, 2006, 04:01 PM
Take FRAGMENT.

JCF Member

UNKNOWNFILE is doing well so far

Jan 9, 2006, 04:27 PM
And be ready to run.

PS: Unreal > JJ2.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jan 9, 2006, 04:35 PM
Either the fragment is what's trapped or they're both trapped D;. Appearances can be deceiving.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 9, 2006, 04:54 PM
I looked down at the fragment. It looked insignificant and harmless enough, being somewhere besides the center of the room and all. Regardless, I remained ready to run. I bent over and picked the crystal fragment up. No sooner had I done so, however, than I heard a strange sound of sliding ice, followed by an audiable SQUELCHTHUNK and Leetzan shrieking in pain.
I turned around, naturally drawing my blade as I went. Eight crystal spikes had shot down from the top of the doorway, blocking the enterance and piercing the serpent girl's tail in three places. Purpleish blood gushed out surprisingly fast.
Fawriel was panicking about what to do, asking Fooruman if a healing spell would help if there was still a spike through someone. The wizard reached into his collar, whispering something about destiny and handing Fawriel a marshmallow, which was promptly thrown back in the wizard's face.
Uberbob turned to me. "We could probably take that pyramid thing now," he said.

Inventory

Code:
Crystal shard Marshmallow on a stick Bag of chips Bag of chips Generic bars of what is presumably food Gem thing PDA Sleeping bag Katana

JCF Member

Jan 9, 2006, 05:01 PM
I second uberbob. ;P

Banned

Jan 9, 2006, 05:04 PM
Tell Araches and the Mythslayer to help pull out the spikes (while pulling a spike yourself, mind you). After they're out, tell Faw to heal.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 9, 2006, 05:32 PM
Uberbob pranced over to the pyramid and brought it back to me while I tried to help Leetzan. With Araches and the Mythslayer's help, I tugged on the spikes. However, they seemed to be firmly attached to the top of the doorway, and stretched down all the way to the bottom, through Leetzan.
"It won't budge," Araches concluded, panting from trying to move the spike back up, "and we're trapped in here until we can get them out of the doorway."
Leetzan pouted with pain as Fawriel tore off a piece of his belt and worked on stopping her bleeding.

Inventory

Code:
Pyramid Crystal shard Marshmallow on a stick Bag of chips Bag of chips Generic bars of what is presumably food Gem thing PDA Sleeping bag Katana

Banned

Jan 9, 2006, 05:39 PM
Whack spike with GEM.

JCF Member

Jan 9, 2006, 07:17 PM
Tell Fooruman to TRY to Quantum Squaredance with the spikes.
Stick the Pyramid, Crystal Shard, and Gem Thing to the marshmellow and touch it to the spikes.

JCF Member

Raven aka StL should make better posts

Jan 9, 2006, 09:54 PM
carve a way past the bars, in the wall next to them with the sword...

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2006, 07:20 AM
Put the gem thing on the pyramid pedestal (Indiana Jones style ;D) and the crystal shard back into its corner.

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2006, 07:23 AM
Do what WR said.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2006, 07:37 AM
Do what WR said indeed! ;_;

In case of success, comfort Leetzy with gentle hugs if necessary.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 10, 2006, 12:17 PM
"So, any ideas on how to get back out?" Uberbob asked me. "And, like, unimpale whats-her-name," he added. Leetzan, presumably still in pain, cast him a glare that would have killed him if he had half a mind.
I did have a few ideas. I signaled for Faw to get out of the way and chucked the carved gem at the spikes as hard as I could. It bounced off harmlessly, producing nothing but a loud "TINK". With no success in damaging the doors, drew my sword and attacked the wall adjacent to the barred-off enterance. The walls obviously were not any kind of normal ice, as my blade bounced harmlessly off (though the recoil sent a painful, numbing vibration up by arm).
A new idea struck me. I tucked the crystal shard neatly back into its corner and put the gem we had found in the tent in the middle of the floor, where the pyramid once stood. Much to my surprise, absolutely nothing happened. We didn't even have to run from a giant rolling rock.
Fawriel had done a moderate job with stopping the bleeding, though Leetzan didn't seem too happy with it. Araches, who had remained fairly neutral through all of this, looked like she was going to snap and kill Leetzan soon if she didn't stop whining about being impaled. I decided to try one last idea.
"Fooruman," I addressed, "try that Quantum Squaredance thing on the spikes."
"No," he responded.

Inventory

Code:
Pyramid Marshmallow on a stick Bag of chips Bag of chips Generic bars of what is presumably food PDA Sleeping bag Katana

JCF Member

Dev is doing well so far

Jan 10, 2006, 12:40 PM
Tell Fooruman that he's not your friend anymore, then switch the pyramid back for the gem thing.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 10, 2006, 01:22 PM
"Fooruman, you aren't my friend anymore," I stated to the wizard. This really didn't sound like the kind of thing I would normally say, and felt really awkward.
I put the crystal pyramid back on the ground and lifted the gem. As soon as the gem left the glowing white floor, the crystalline spikes retracted back into the ceiling with a satisfying "SSHZING" noise. Leetzan was left in a bloody -though unimpaled- mess on the ground. Fawriel immediately conjured up that familiar healing glow around his hands. Fooruman stared at me menacingly for a moment, said "I hope your marshmallow burns," and rowed away to help Faw.
"Most people would have tried putting the big, shiny crystal back first," Araches commented.
"I didn't hear YOU suggest anything."
"I didn't hear you ask for help."
"If I ASK next time, will you give help?" I asked, frustrated.
The sorceress chuckled. "Next time you'll have to beg. And I'll have to think up something entirely new for the time after next." She left to join Leetzan, Faw, Fooruman, and the Mythslayer, patting me on by back as she went. Uncomfortably low on my back.
I turned to Uberbob, awaiting some remark on the events that just proceeded, contemplating in advance ways to hurt him for said remarks. He seemed, however, fully concentrated on the doorway. "You know," he began, "if we put some potatoes in the doorway, then picked the pyramid up and put it down again really fast a bunch of times, we could probably make mashed potatoes." My brain felt offended, and I wondered how long I could maintain my sanity before becoming an Uberbob myself. The prospect made me feel sad, cold, and alone.

Inventory

Code:
Gem thing Marshmallow on a stick Bag of chips Bag of chips Generic bars of what is presumably food PDA Sleeping bag Katana

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Jan 10, 2006, 01:54 PM
South twice.

JCF Member

Jan 10, 2006, 04:19 PM
And put the sleeping bag in the FooCanoe. Sleeping bags are bulky.

Banned

Jan 10, 2006, 04:26 PM
Make amends with Fooruman and if possible the FooCanoe. The ask to put the sleeping bag in.

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2006, 04:01 AM
Take pyramid (since it's not it that causes the spikes to go down..I hope).

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 11, 2006, 04:01 AM
COMFORT LEETZY FIRST FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2006, 04:04 AM
That's 'your' job.
I claim page 69, the most suggestive number given Araches' pat on Shuriken. ;p

Last edited by White Rabbit; Jan 11, 2006 at 07:16 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 11, 2006, 04:19 AM
You would also want people to care if you got a solid object stuck right through your body. D=

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2006, 09:30 AM
kill Leetzan!

... Go south, then west...

JCF Veteran

Jan 11, 2006, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Emperor
go south, then west
south, then south*

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2006, 09:41 AM
kill Emperor!

I second kewba.

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2006, 10:42 AM
ok... lets go south, then south-west

JCF Éminence Grise

Jan 11, 2006, 02:23 PM
Back. Sorry, I died.

Fooruman seemed deeply insulted by my remark three minutes earlier. Despite his apparent uselessness, the wizard had helped us in many an occasion and I felt he deserved my respect. Or at least it was better to have him on my side.
"Fooruman, I'm sorry I..." I tried really hard to remember what I did, "said we werent friends or something."
Tears welled up in the archmages eyes as he stood up and hugged me. "By the Ultimate Foo, you ARE the chosen one!" I pried the old man off of me and pushed him back into his canoe. "Ms. Shuriken, I would have preformed the Quantum Squaredance," he explained, "but something here opresses my arcane powers. Well, not all of them, just that one. We may, in fact, be dealing with yet another teleportation ward."
"You used megawarp last time we encountered a teleportation ward," I pointed out.
"That's different. MW is a HAX program."
"Er... right." I remembered something else I had to do. "Leetzan," I addressed the now almost fully healed serpent girl, "I'm sorry I got you impaled. But, really, it was your fault for standing in the doorway." Something about this apology left me feeling that it was poorly executed. "I'm still sorry, though," I added.
She at least seemed amused. "5'ok4y. Just make sure you put F0oruman in the doorway next time."
Or Araches, I thought as the sorceress came to harass me more. "So, our leader has a plan now?"
"Yes. We leave and go south." I helped Leetzan up and lead the party back through the hallway to the campsite.

Nothing here seemed different than last time. However, I briefly saw something out of the corner of my eye; a pale shadow, as though seen through the ice. I snapped around to get a better look, but it was gone.
"Everything okay?" Faw asked, worried.
"Yeah. Let's keep going south."
"How do you know it's south, anyway? We're underground, and all the Compass Roses exploded."
"... Magic." I loved the fact this was a valid excuse. "Anyway, southward." I didn't want to bring up the shadow and cause a panic.
Soon, after going through another hallway, we reached yet another room with a glowing floor and rounded ceiling. Another small crystal pyramid stood in the middle, ominous and important looking. Rolled to the side of the room was a baseball sized crystalline sphere. It greatly resembled the gem I was carrying, only perfectly smooth and rounded. A single, incredibly thin, rectangular sliver of crystal was leaned against the ball. It was almost invisible and looked as though a single touch would shatter it.
"Let's pick the pyramid up and see if anything bad happens again," Uberbob proposed.
Faw raised an eyebrow. "Let's not," he said, "Both Archmage Fooruman and I no longer have any healing spells readied. It could take a while to regain the energy.
The Mythslayer drew his cutlass and struck a dramatic pose. "We can't afford to take any more risks; we should leave at once. An unholy presence draws near." Leetzan (big surprise) nodded with agreement.
"I have an idea, but you'll have to beg," Araches taunted. I scowled back at her.

Inventory

Code:
Gem thing Marshmallow on a stick Bag of chips Bag of chips Generic bars of what is presumably food PDA Sleeping bag Katana
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jan 11, 2006, 02:27 PM
Beg. And then kick Araches.

JCF Member

Jan 11, 2006, 03:04 PM
And tell her that she's as straight as the letter "S", to get her more upset.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jan 11, 2006, 03:39 PM
...just beg because nobody has any healing spells ready ;P

Banned

Jan 11, 2006, 03:43 PM
Offer sexual favors to Araches in exchange for a plan.

I am entirely serious.