Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Jazz 1 Resources

Grid

JCF Member

Grid is doing well so far

Mar 16, 2007, 02:50 PM
Jazz 1 Resources

Howdy folks. I used to be really into Jazz, back in the days of the JMMB. I was looking through some of my old stuff from my younger years, and I used to draw Jazz and write Jazz stories all the time. So, for nostalgia's sake, I'm writing a comic based on our hero.

I want to reference a lot of the stuff that Jazz has been through in his previous adventures. Problem is, I haven't played JJ1 in ages, and my computer won't run it. I'm not looking for a way to play the game, though. I'm trying to find resources for the game, other than the manual.

Does anyone have screenshots from the ends of the episodes throughout JJ1? Or at least the episode summary text recorded somewhere. A lot of the storyline material is listed at the end of each episode, and I don't have anything but faded memories. I remember that Jazz lost his ship at some point, but I can't remember why.

If anyone can help me out, huge thanks in advance.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Mar 16, 2007, 09:21 PM
Here is an outline of the JJ1 plot I wrote three years ago: it assumes that episodes A, B, and C (everything after Eva is rekidnapped by the taxi) take place chronologically after episode 6, which is debatable, so you're welcome to adjust that in your mind as you see fit.

Quote:
The story of Jazz Jackrabbit 1 begins on an unnamed, barren rock planet, home to the "Rats". Jazz has just saved their villiage (we don't know what from), and they present him with a rock as a token gift. Jazz gets into his spaceship, the Jazz-01, and blasts off, deciding to bring along a cat should he visit this planet again. I guess he didn't like the Rats much.

Jazz throws the rock the Rats gave him into the back of his ship, where lies an enormous pile of rocks. Suddenly, the broadcast of "Married... with Chinchallas" is interrupted for a special bulletin. "Shellian Terrorist Devan Shell had kidnapped the rabbit princess Eva earlong. The princess was quoted as saying This sucks!" Jazz, appreciative of the money he could get from the merchanising alone, decides to rescue the princess. (And we all know how well the merchandising turned out)

Meanwhile, Devan is revealing to Eva (I think they're in a Medivo castle) his purpose in kidnapping her. Devan thinks that the rabbits will surrender, making Devan the King of Carrotus, now that he has their beloved princess in captivity. He also reveals the reason he hates rabbits so much - he once read "The Tortoise and the Hare" and has found all rabbits to be evil and maniacal ever since. Eva is not impressed by this information.

Cutting back to Jazz, we learn that he has flown the Jazz-01 to the Intergalactic Repneck Bar, a "seedy watering hole" flying around in space, in order to find out more about Devan Shell. He gets into a fight with a green lizard from Deserto, and is given a "drink on the house" from a rat waitress. Suddenly, an orange creature appears on stage and asks the audience to give a warm welcome to "the comic stylings of 'The Mean Green Hare!'" Jazz is pulled up onto the stage by his shoulder, and attempts to do a stand up comedy routine. It fails. The Rebel Turtle reaches out a long cane and pulls Jazz off the stage..

The Rebel Turtle tells Jazz that he and Devan used to study martial arts together (before copyright laws stopped Devan in his plans of becoming a ninja turtle). The turtle tells Jazz that Devan is a "really clever guy with a lot of wacko ideas! He's got a huge ego, so he tends to surround himself with morons." The turtle also suggests that Jazz should steal as many weapons as he can from Devan to use against his army. Meanwhile, the Deserto lizard has found Jazz's "drink on the house" and has drunken it. His brain becomes completely addled and he falls down unconscious.

Jazz flies off to the planet Diamondus, which Devan's turtles are pillaging for the precious gems it contains. He lets Chuck the Hip Hop out of a cage, but Chuck flies away as soon as Jazz is injured, as do all Hip Hops in all of the games. Jazz also meets Devan briefly on Diamondus, and Devan expresses his disbelief that Jazz will be able to win. They part, and Jazz finishes securing Diamondus for the Galactic Rabbits.

From Diamondus, Jazz flies to the planet Tubelectric - presumably to stock up on goodies, as there seems to be no evidence of turtle invasion. Or maybe the galactic rabbits just wanted to have control of Tubelectric, and they sent Jazz to do it. Anyway, Jazz blasts his way through two areas of the abandoned munitions factory and secures the planet for the galactic rabbits.

Now it's off to Medivo, where Eva and Devan await, which has been taken over by turtles in Marvin the Martian helmets. Jazz quickly disposes of them and reaches a large arena where Devan awaits inside a strange war machine. At first Devan attempts to shoot Jazz with toaster-like bullets, but after Jazz proves too quick for these attacks, he switches to destroying the arena around him. Eventually Jazz destroys the machine, and Devan somehow gets away with Eva, but not before Jazz learns of a change in Devan's plans. He no longer plans to rule Carrotus, he wants to destroy it, and is building powerful battleships to do the job. Why he still wants Eva, I'm not sure...

Jazz wastes no time in flying the Jazz-01 to the area of the galaxy where Devan is building the battleships. In quick sucession, he destroys Devan's enormous supercomputer, recaptures the planet Technoir, and does something unknown involving a place called Orbitus. While on Orbitus, he battles Devan again (who is riding on top of a giant ostrich). It's a safe bet to say these three locations are no longer usable for Devan's plans. Only problem is, Jazz now has no idea where to go next, as Devan got away again.

Fortunately, Eva brought her Porta-Fax with her, and sends a message to Jazz telling him that Devan has regrouped to "1320,23 in Sector X". Jazz flies off to the planet Fanolint, which we can only assume is the location named, and secures it for the galactic rabbits. He then does the same for the planet Scraparap, where Devan's turtles are stealing metal and parts for their battleships. After that, Jazz finds an airbase built by Devan. Nothing of notice takes place in the airbase, except that Jazz fights Devan again, only this time Devan is in a large tank.

Jazz blows up the air base, but Devan escapes again with Eva. Jazz gets into the Jazz-01, but the explosion of the air base sends the Jazz-01 crashing into the planet Turtemple - the Secret Temple of the Turtle. In this area of the galaxy, Devan is cloning his army with the SUPERCOPY 2000 Mean Gene Machine (didn't they already use that joke with "mean green hare"?). Jazz recaptures/loots the planet of Turtemple and steals a spaceship, which he uses to fly to first Nippius and then Jungrock. Devan is now getting worried, and Jazz begins searching for the battleships Devan has been building.

Jazz heads for three of Devan's most crucial planets; Marbelara, playground of Devan's elite Schwarzenguards - Slugion, vast treasure houses which aren't very guarded - Dreempipes, the fuel refinery for Devan's destroyers. Jazz secures them all for the galactic rabbits, even fighting an enormous owl creature in Dreempipes (Haven't seen Devan since the air base...).

Jazz is now so close that he can actually see Devan's "Turtle-Gunner Destroyers" looming in the distance. On the way, he goes through two planets, one unimportant and one fairly important. Pezrox (also spelled Pezrock) is just another planet which Devan has captured, whereas Crysili (also spelled Crysilis) is the location where Devan has stashed all the stolen treasures from all the other worlds. Jazz spends a bit of time raiding it, then heads off to meet his destiny in the Twin Mega Battleships (as they are also called).

Jazz exits the Jazz-01 (...wait, wasn't it left behind on Turtemple? This is the main continuity error of JJ1.) on an airboard and approaches the first battleship. He breaks inside of it, and fights his way to the CPU, which shoots fireballs at him. Jazz destroys the CPU and flies out of the battleship before it is destroyed. He then repeats the process for the second battleship. After that, he flies to Devan's personal spaceship, where Jazz battles a giant gray clone Devan has made of Jazz, who doesn't have a gun, just some green magic powers. Devan escapes, but Jazz finds a map in the ship's main computer with the location of Eva Earlong. Rather than persue Devan, he goes to rescue Eva.

Jazz lands on a barren planet (possibly the same one that the Rats live on... wouldn't that be circular?) and walks through a cave. Once on the outside of the cave, he sees Eva inside a cage, held up by a long rope going across an enormous chasm. Jazz steels his stomach, grabs the rope, and begins to climb across. When he is about two thirds there, the rope breaks, and Jazz and Eva (in the cage) both go flying towards a ledge. Eva lands safely, and the cage breaks, freeing her. Jazz barely manages to grasp onto the edge of the ledge, and just as he is about to fall off, Eva rescues him. They kiss. A Galactic Taxi pulls up and drives them away. It is driven by Devan Shell - making his escape somewhat unusual, but the fact is that he manages to kidnap Eva again. This happens completely off screen, so I'm not sure how.

Once more in persuit of Eva, Jazz follows Devan across the planets of Exoticus, Industrius, Muckamo, Raneforus and Stonar before finding Devan and Eva inside the spacecraft (I assume) "Decksta". He destroys some crucial machine, causing Devan, Eva and the Schwarzenguard who kidnapped her when the game began to flee to Devan's Secret Hideout. Jazz follows a floating sign directing him to Devan's Hideout on an airboard - apparently the Jazz-01 has vanished again.

Jazz then explores the planets of Ceramicus, Deserto and Lagunicus without finding Eva, though he does defeat Devan quite handily while on Lagunicus. By this point Devan is so lacking in forces that there's practically no challenge at all in beating him, and Devan is not seen again until Jazz Jackrabbit 2. Jazz finds Devan's hideout, and after defeating the guards, somehow learns that Eva has been stashed on the planet Holidaius. The story continues in Jazz Jackrabbit: Holiday Hare 94.

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Mar 17, 2007, 01:14 AM
... that's a pretty solid answer there, Vio. D:
Grid

JCF Member

Mar 17, 2007, 05:31 AM
...Wow. That's way more detailed an answer than I was expecting. Thanks a ton, Unknown Rabbit. I remember the ending of Holiday Hare '94, so you've answered me perfectly.

Hey, um, rather than making a new topic... what do you know about The Secret Files? I've read that it's got a unique storyline from the standard JJ2, but I can't find a plot outline on it, either...
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Mar 17, 2007, 07:37 AM
According to the TSF manual, the story is that Jazz, Spaz and Lori go on vacation, visit an easter planet, a haunted house and a turtle city and then find the key to Valhalla (which is actually just a password to get some user levels on the now-defunct Project 2 website.) However, J2O mentions it was originally called Diamond Edition, and I recall reading somewhere that there might have been a better plot involving diamonds, hence the box-art.

Oh, and does anyone bother to find out how Holiday Hare '95 fits into continuity?
Grid

JCF Member

Mar 17, 2007, 07:50 AM
So do they ever actually mention what exactly Valhala is, or was it absolutely noting more than a password? (And who's bright idea was it to vacation at a haunted mansion?!)

And I guess I'll add on to Thunder's question a bit as well: What about HH98? Did that serve any storyline purpose?

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Mar 17, 2007, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
What about HH98? Did that serve any storyline purpose?
Nope.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 17, 2007, 10:45 AM
The TSF plot is understandably vague because the game was unfinished. I asked Jeh about it a while back, and here's what he said:

Quote:
However, TSF started out as a big project; it was
an idea that myself, Robert Allen (JJ & JJ2 producer) and Dean "Noogy"
Dodrill came up with. Noogy and I had these elaborate plans for a big
enveloping storyline that centered around the ending movie of JJ2, at the
wedding/party scene. We even had plans for a cool opening movie complete
with voiceovers! From there, Devon causes mayhem again, etc etc etc -- and
Jazz, Spaz and Lori save the day. I forget if Eva was kidnapped again, but
either way the 3 playable characters had a mission. It was never really
"finalized" though and was large omitted due to time commitments.
He also agreed that HH98 (and thus CC99) had no connection to the storyline, and was just a holiday release.

(In case it's not clear, I've had this stuff sitting around for years, it's nice to have someone asking about it.)

JCF Member

Mar 17, 2007, 11:10 AM
It's a shame TSF never got to be the grand game it was planned to be.... and it's a shame that it wasn't released here in America.

Quote:
(In case it's not clear, I've had this stuff sitting around for years, it's nice to have someone asking about it.)
Heh, this info's hard to come by. I'm just glad I could find someone with it.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 17, 2007, 11:13 AM
You might also find this interesting for other questions you may have about the games:

http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/wiki/

Violet, why don't you add this kind of information to the ERE? It would be an awesome addition, and really useful. Or are you still planning to finish JJHQ someday?

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 17, 2007, 11:54 AM
I would like to finish JJHQ someday, as IMO it would serve as a much better introduction to Jazz site than J2O or Haze's Hideout do, but I think it's something of a pipe dream at this point... I'll probably go through and add tons of content to the ERE at some point, I'm just lazy, and I would feel bad about all the content I would have to prune because it wouldn't fit into the ERE structure.
(Alternatively, if I knew how to make a JJHQ that wasn't based purely on HTML, so that I or other people could add stuff to it really easily, then things might be different. But I am a limited web designer.)

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 17, 2007, 12:11 PM
I liked JJHQ's structure too, and it was really nice to have all content centralized and structured like it was. If you don't mind waiting a while until I have time I could code a simple PHP/Database system to store the content in, if you want.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 17, 2007, 12:20 PM
I started the site about three years ago... I have nothing against "waiting a while." That would be incredible. Thank you.
Grid

JCF Member

Mar 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
You might also find this interesting for other questions you may have about the games:

http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/wiki/
I had meant to check that out before asking anything here, but it slipped my mind. It's pretty darn cool, though.
Candy

JCF Member

Candy is doing well so far

Apr 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
Wow. That is just...cool? Yea, i guess so. I didn't think i would find such people on this website.

(\_/)
(o.o)
()_()
Candy

JCF Member

Apr 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
So, um, can i ask a few questions about jcf on here?

(\_/)
(o.o)
()_()

Administrator

Apr 5, 2007, 02:44 PM
It is considered good practise here to do not post twice in a row. You can use the button to change your first post. And sure, go ahead, ask some questions.
Candy

JCF Member

Apr 9, 2007, 12:39 PM
Um...sorry i posted twice in a row. Well, what is the average age of the people on jcf??

(\_/)
(o.o)
()_()

JCF Éminence Grise

Radium is an asset to this forum

Apr 9, 2007, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
Um...sorry i posted twice in a row. Well, what is the average age of the people on jcf??
I think we're mostly 16-25ish, with the occasional 11-year-old or 30-year-old in disguise. You can check profiles usually for individual people's ages.

<i>"This picture shows me that the gray bird man is just a bully and picks on smaller birds. Just because he has no friends and takes it out on others smaller than him to look good. I can see in the parrats eyes that it does however have a understanding of the gray bird man and is upset about getting cut."</i> - Speeza on cartoon birds.