Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

List Server Information - October 2004

Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Oct 16, 2004, 02:52 AM
Post List Server Information - October 2004

The European List Server was updated to a new build of Nebulas Java List Server.

New Features: Automatic Removal of Pinging Servers.
Every 300 seconds (5 minutes) the list server will check your game is still active, if it is it will remain on the List, If it is not it will automatically delist it.
This will ineffect also blocking people using programs like JazzForce to host perm. pinging servers.
Providing you have a JJ2 game up, you can still use JazzForce thou.

Now the list server can deal with pinging servers itself, it should make admins jobs a lot easier, just wanted to thank Monolith for his great work in removing pinging servers when I wasnt around, and for anyone else who helped out in reporting

Currently, the American list server is still having some diffculty, and isnt working in partnership with the other list servers, as a temp measure, you can remove the american list server from your Jazz 2 by applying the patches at:
http://nimrodnet.co.uk/listservers
Once its back, you can just apply the original patch and it will remove this one.

We will continue to use the European List Server as a testing grounds for Nebulas great new list server, once we are 100% happy with it, we will upgrade the American List Server to take advantage of the great new features of Nebulas List Server application.

While your here, I think you should know about the work Nebula has put into this. Hes put hours and hours (and days) into coding a List Server Application, with no help from Epic or Orange Games. Thanks Nebula, your a great community member Hopefully his program will help keep JJ2 Multiplayer Alive.

Happy Jazz'ing!

JCF Founder

Nebula has disabled reputation

Oct 16, 2004, 07:27 AM
Thanks...

I do my best

Let's hope there aren't too many bugs in this version If anyone has any comments/suggestions about the listserver, or any questions, you can PM them to me directly.

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

Oct 16, 2004, 09:05 AM
Is there a way to access Nimrod's list server without needing to patch registry? Administrative rights blocks me from doing so at my college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise View Post
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!
Nebula

JCF Founder

Oct 16, 2004, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonblaze
Is there a way to access Nimrod's list server without needing to patch registry? Administrative rights blocks me from doing so at my college.
I don't think you need administrative rights to hit up the registry...I've patched the registry before, and windows didn't complain, and I didn't have admin rights...

I've heard of hacked JJ2 binaries, but besides that, I don't think so. I think either hexediting the binary or modifying the registry is the only way to go.

You could modify your hosts file...but that's probably locked up too.
Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Oct 16, 2004, 10:35 AM
The best method is to edit your Jazz2.exe, I can send you a patched one on MSN if you contact me (Nimrod 'at' Nimrod-online.com)

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Oct 17, 2004, 04:42 AM
I don't know if this has something to do with the changes but it seems I lost my hosting abilities again lately.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)
Nebula

JCF Founder

Oct 17, 2004, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSZ Jazz
I don't know if this has something to do with the changes but it seems I lost my hosting abilities again lately.
I don't really know what to say...I haven't heard about that happening for anybody else (can you get a list of the current games??)...I'd talk to Nimrod about that, since he runs the actual server. I just design the software

JCF Member

Oct 18, 2004, 02:38 AM
Well, yesterday I noticed what's wrong. My server works, but it doesn't show up on the list for the MOST of players. It also doesn't appear on J2O GIP. Haven't tried the Monobot GIP yet. Anyway, when I give my IP to somebody he joins and also the ping is nicely low. The people who joined yesterday without knowing my IP were Black Mage, SaKTi, Mateo and Maverick[VS]. However, Maverick didn't see it after I have restarted it.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)
Alberto

JCF Member

Alberto is doing well so far

Oct 18, 2004, 04:39 AM
JSZ Jazz, I would check if your game connects to the right list server, because maybe it's connecting to Contrabandent still, I've noticed about a few servers appearing on the game and not on J2O
R3ptile

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

Oct 18, 2004, 04:56 AM
I really didn't understand what Nebula's new list server application is...
Could someone explain me?

JCF Member

Oct 18, 2004, 05:21 AM
I have jazz.nimrod-online.com set in the value 000. I think it's the default one.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)
Nebula

JCF Founder

Oct 18, 2004, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto
JSZ Jazz, I would check if your game connects to the right list server, because maybe it's connecting to Contrabandent still, I've noticed about a few servers appearing on the game and not on J2O
That's possible, since the J2O listserver query program only queries Nimrod's listserver, and from what I understand, Contrabandent and his aren't syncing for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ptile
I really didn't understand what Nebula's new list server application is...
Could someone explain me?
Sure, basicially, the old epic list server program (the server program that tells JJ2 what games are currently available to join) had some pretty big flaws, and I'm essentially creating my own list server program. It has it's own flaws, but they aren't nearly as big (I think...some will argue about this). It adds much more functionality for the server admin.

Quote:
I have jazz.nimrod-online.com set in the value 000. I think it's the default one.
That should do it, but the JJ2 binary has listservers hardcoded into the .EXE which it tries before the ones in the registry, but that shouldn't be a problem, since they're all extinct and JJ2 looks in the registry after it notices all those are dead. However, your JJ2 binary might be hacked (I know they're out there) to use Contraband's list server, and then possibly others. You might have downloaded a modified binary and not realized it. Open up the JJ2 spy window (search the forums to find out how, I can't remember the instructions off the top of my head), and when you create a game, it'll tell you what list server it's using.

JCF Member

Oct 22, 2004, 07:13 AM
You were right, Nebula. I checked with spy window, and Jazz2 was still connecting to Contrabandent. I just removed the 001 value from the registry and now it works. My server's name is "Crispy toasts" and I'll be hosting it whenever I can.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)
Nebula

JCF Founder

Oct 22, 2004, 11:28 AM
Quote:
You were right, Nebula. I checked with spy window, and Jazz2 was still connecting to Contrabandent. I just removed the 001 value from the registry and now it works. My server's name is "Crispy toasts" and I'll be hosting it whenever I can.
hehe, glad to hear it wasn't another bug, and just JJ2 being silly.