Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

8bit vs 16bit

View Poll Results: 8bit or 16bit?
I prefer, and play in (majority of the time) 8bit 2 5.41%
I prefer, and play in (majority of the time) 16bit 25 67.57%
I prefer 8bit, but don't play in it often 3 8.11%
I prefer 16bit, but don't play in it often. 3 8.11%
I prefer 8bit, and play in both equally. 1 2.70%
I prefer 16bit, and play in both equally. 0 0%
I prefer both/neither, but usually play 8bit 0 0%
I prefer both/neither, but usually play in 16bit 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Mar 22, 2005, 02:21 PM
8bit vs 16bit

Well, partially inspired by MoonBlaze's topic about how General Jazz 2 Talk needs more activity, partially inspired by a debate with Violet a long time ago, I'm curious to see your opinions, what do you prefer; 8 bit or 16 bit?

Each of them have their benefits and their disadvantages. 16bit has the nice warp backround color effect, while 8bit you will only see one type of warped backround and won't be able to change it. In 8bit, water can be different colors, but in most tilesets looks ugly and horrible, and in 16bit water is just a nice basic blue color. I don't think there's really an arguement about transparency not looking better in 16bit. 8bit also gives better FPS so that's a benefit to people with slow computers or when playing in laggy levels.

Apparently, there's also a difference between smoke rings, ice and lighting in 8bit to 16bit too, but I don't remember what that is.

Violet preferred 8bit. In the arguement some of the things he said is when youre creating tilesets, in 8bit you can customize how you want things like water and the backround to look. In some sets, like Egypt_light/dark from tomb rabbit, and Pyro's Diamondus Beta Lava Version, the authors of those sets decided to make the water look like lava in 8bit, which is pretty cool (and you cant do that in 16bit; the water would just look blue). The backround would also fade into the color of the tileset authors choice (For instance, it fades a light blue in Carrotus and you cant really change that).

I prefer 16bit. As a levelmaker, I find 16bit giving me more options. In 16bit, I could customize the way the backround fades (Because seeing it fade the same color in every level using the same tileset is boring), and I would like to use water without having it look ugly 90% of the time. Having a fast computer, I get no difference with 8bit and 16bit framerate in almost any level, and frankly, I don't think that you'd need to play in 8bit so often because 16bit lags you too much, unless you have like a 133mhz computer or something. And, obviously, the transparency in 16bit looks better.

So....what do you prefer? =P. And don't just vote on the poll and run away or something; I'm curios about your opinions on the subject and why you think either is better.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Mar 22, 2005, 02:26 PM
16-bit does not support smoke ring palette editing or underwater ambient lighting. I don't think I need to say much more than that.

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Mar 22, 2005, 02:31 PM
They both have their benefits. 16-bit is prettier but dosn't support as much cool things due to incompleteness.

JCF Member

Mar 22, 2005, 02:36 PM
Some arguements.

Imo 8bit water lightning isnt that great. It just gets darker a little bit and not enough for it to really be realistic.

I also hate it how 8bit screws up backrounds sometimes too, like in the Neonius set etc.

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 22, 2005, 02:46 PM
Another argument is that water looks infinitely better with low detail in 8-bit than in 16-bit.
Also download this and compare it between 8-bit and 16-bit.

Edit: Oh, and you can't have non-fading textured backgrounds in 16-bit, so no 3D grasslands or stuff like that.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Mar 22, 2005 at 02:59 PM.

JCF Member

aokmaniac13 is doing well so far

Mar 22, 2005, 02:50 PM
It's easier to rip palettes in 8-bit mode :sugoi: (you. need. more. smileys.)

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Mar 23, 2005, 02:10 AM
16-bit looks better for me. Yeah, 16-bit water is less editable, but there aren't SO many levels with water to switch to 8-bit just for that.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Mar 23, 2005, 08:36 AM
I prefer, and play in (majority of the time) 16bit

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Member

Mar 23, 2005, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
Another argument is that water looks infinitely better with low detail in 8-bit than in 16-bit.
Also download this and compare it between 8-bit and 16-bit.

Edit: Oh, and you can't have non-fading textured backgrounds in 16-bit, so no 3D grasslands or stuff like that.

16bit backround >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>8bit backround

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 23, 2005, 09:20 AM

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Mar 23, 2005, 12:32 PM
16bit. Once I have solved the riddle of the JJ2 source code, I will change to 32bit ASAP.

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Mar 23, 2005, 08:45 PM
I've always preferred 16-bit, but I was forced to play in 8-bit for decent frame rates. It wasn't until recently I had the chance to get a fast computer to experience 16-bit in all its glory (although lighting effects hurt the fps a bit). But since I've played in 8-bit for so long that I still get annoyed when people neglect it, like when tileset makers don't take the time to make textured backgrounds and water work in 8-bit and decide it's not important enough to change after reviewers complain despite the fact it's easy to fix these days.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Mar 23, 2005, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
16bit. Once I have solved the riddle of the JJ2 source code, I will change to 32bit ASAP.

Tell me, what does such a source code actually look like?
Regardless of my ignorance, I've done some thinking.
Did anyone ever get the idea that the source code might be hidden in the game? ;o
Something like "Mark wears briefs"? Perhaps those signs actually DO serve a purpose.

JCF Member

Mar 24, 2005, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawriel
Something like "Mark wears briefs"? Perhaps those signs actually DO serve a purpose.
Maybe the source code is truly inside Mark's briefs!

JCF Éminence Grise

Mar 24, 2005, 12:37 AM