Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » Site and Forum Rules, Questions & Feedback

Reviewing Booth

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Sep 9, 2005, 08:42 AM
Reviewing Booth

I decided to start another brilliant way to waste my time. From this moment, you all can send me (or post here) requests to review one of your uploads. You can't send/post more than one proposal though, and if you make your request, you can't request another review in a week. Also, if you tell me what rating I am supposed to give your upload, I will not review it and you can't make anymore requests, so in other words you will just be "banned" from this.
I am doing this because J2O strongly needs reviews and I am willing to write some, yet I lack any ideas what to review and barely anything in the Review Ideas section meets my standards.
Also, if any of you are curious, my level/levelpack (as in, when I am reviewing a levelpack, level sections will apply to all the levels) reviews will look like this:
  • I am reviewing and rating (on a scale from 1 to 5) each section of the level/levelpack in this order: Eyecandy (included tile errors and creativity), Gameplay (included flow, design and creativity), and Eventing (events' balance, creativity).
  • I write a short summary of the level's/levelpack's pros and cons.
  • I write an overall section which is there so you don't have to read the whole review.

Tilesets ratings will look like this:
  • I am reviewing and rating (on a scale from 1 to 5) each section of the tileset in this order: Theme, Graphical Quality (replaced with Conversion Completiness when I'm reviewing a conversion), Functionality (included masking), Event Compatibility.
  • I write a short summary of the tileset's pros and cons.
  • I write an overall section which is there so you don't have to read the whole review.

There are also a few restrictions about your uploads:
  • I will not review your level if it's ripped off someone else's level.
  • I will not review your level if it's got over 10 reviews, unless the reviews are insufficient according to today's standards.
  • I will not review:
    • Conversions from games I haven't played.
    • Jazz1/Jazz2 utilities.
    • Music remixes.
    • Uploads violating the J2O rules and to be deleted.
  • Constant complaining about the review being not posted will result in banning from the booth.

That is all. Send me your requests anyway you'd like to. I will try to review your upload as soon as I receive your request. If you are not satisfied with quality of my review, point out what don't you like and I will try to do my best to improve it. However, if you keep on bugging me with such messages, I will just ban you from the booth. And if you feel that I might've underrated your level, then I can't help and you will just have to live with it. Take what is given.

Last edited by cooba; Sep 12, 2005 at 08:33 AM.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

Sep 9, 2005, 09:17 AM
Excellent idea Cooba, its the sort of thing we need. I would help out if its needed.

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

Sep 9, 2005, 09:31 AM
yes, that's a great idea.

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

Sep 9, 2005, 10:07 AM
Please and thanks.

Good idea. I also suggest reviewing this, because I refuse to and it would badly need a review.

Besides, I would also help out if needed, but I guess Cooba will claim it's his idea. ;P

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

Sep 9, 2005, 11:55 AM
Done. \o\ \o/ /o/

JCF Member

Sep 9, 2005, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the review. I must admit at first I was a bit upset about the low rating, but you showed a reason for stuff you didn't like and I'm ok with that.

I won't bother letting you rate the Beachtown pack though. I'm afraid it would get something like a 2. ;P

JCF Veteran

Sep 9, 2005, 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFreak
I won't bother letting you rate the Beachtown pack though. I'm afraid it would get something like a 2. ;P
Actually I like it a whole lot better but k. =D

JCF Member

Sep 9, 2005, 12:14 PM
Really?

Hehe, then I'll wait a week and give you the job. =P

You have a nice rating system by the way (I like the graphics).

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Sep 9, 2005, 02:05 PM
Please Review The Following:
Jazz In Training
Hide and Shoot
Secret Level Patch

Thnxs!

Some you have reviewed, BUT I would like to see them reviewed in whole, level by level if possible.

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Sep 9, 2005, 02:24 PM
Good idea Cooba. Problem is, you're going to get tired of reviewing stuff. You will want appriciation (if not more) from the people you help. How will you derive motivation to review stuff when you least feel like it?

If you do not enjoy reviewing as a passion; You will give this job up pretty soon.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Sep 9, 2005, 08:54 PM
Will you review Battery Check levels or utilities?

JCF Veteran

Sep 10, 2005, 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPER
Please Review The Following:
Jazz In Training
Hide and Shoot
Secret Level Patch

Thnxs!

Some you have reviewed, BUT I would like to see them reviewed in whole, level by level if possible.
Obviously you didn't read the "Restrictions" part of my post. ONE UPLOAD PER REQUEST.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
Will you review Battery Check levels or utilities?
I guess yes. =P
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSworD
How will you derive motivation to review stuff when you least feel like it?
That's a good question. Hmm. Maybe I will need some people to help me with this thing... thanks for giving me support, too.
Quote:
You have a nice rating system by the way (I like the graphics).
Heh, thanks. They were actually created in Paint in something like 2 minutes, and as soon as I figure out how to run GIMP here I will make improved ones \o/.

Last edited by cooba; Sep 10, 2005 at 12:30 AM.

JCF Member

Sep 10, 2005, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSword
Problem is, you're going to get tired of reviewing stuff. You will want appriciation (if not more) from the people you help. How will you derive motivation to review stuff when you least feel like it?
On another website we have an unofficial review team. Every one has a fake super hero name and his own character. For reviews you get points, with these you can upgrade your own units. It works pretty well.

The problem is, that the JCF doesn't have a "main post" feature. That means, that the first post does only show up on the first page. That makes it pretty hard to execute such a thing.

Besides, like I said, I'd help Cooba out. Even though I lack the fancy graphics. D;

JCF Member

Sep 10, 2005, 01:49 AM
If your not too busy.
Toasted territory

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Sep 10, 2005, 04:43 AM
Jazz Paradise 1.23 ;o
I like this idea and I think I could take such requests too... But only for music and single player downloads.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)
ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

Sep 10, 2005, 06:07 AM
I don't see where it says only one upload per request. And I did read the whole thing. And basically you are telling me to disobey the rules and double-post.

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Sep 10, 2005, 06:33 AM
Quote:
I don't see where it says only one upload per request. And I did read the whole thing. And basically you are telling me to disobey the rules and double-post.

It says it in bold letters even..

JCF Member

Sep 10, 2005, 07:36 AM
Actually, (after re-reading it 4 times,) I finally found where it says that. NOT in bold letters. Anything important shoud be in bold letters. (That way you don't have to read the whole thing.)

FireSworD

JCF Member

Sep 10, 2005, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
That's a good question. Hmm. Maybe I will need some people to help me with this thing... thanks for giving me support, too.
Not good enough. The same problem I mentioned above still applies; unless the other people (and you) really enjoy reviewing. Except for maybe Joseph Collins (who reviews remixes), I have yet to see true reviewing addicts. Unless there is some method to make reviewing addictive for most, then it's pretty much hopeless for this job to continue past say...3 months, at most.

I have been trying to make a method myself of reviews based on just writing a review that summarizes your most simple (for lack of a better word) thoughts. Basicly, whatever comes to mind when you first experience the upload: first impressions etc, and would still give people a pretty good description of what the upload has to offer. Such a method would not require much inspiration, they would not be very big either, but some people don't want to put the effort into reading long reviews anyway. Problem is, it may not be possible.

JCF Member

Sep 10, 2005, 10:52 AM
Zapper:

I'll review your Jazz in Training pack soon (I just stole Cooba's job).

By the way, I will only review Single Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSword
Not good enough. The same problem I mentioned above still applies; unless the other people (and you) really enjoy reviewing. Except for maybe Joseph Collins (who reviews remixes), I have yet to see true reviewing addicts. Unless there is some method to make reviewing addictive for most, then it's pretty much hopeless for this job to continue past say...3 months, at most.

I have been trying to make a method myself of reviews based on just writing a review that summarizes your most simple (for lack of a better word) thoughts. Basicly, whatever comes to mind when you first experience the upload: first impressions etc, and would still give people a pretty good description of what the upload has to offer. Such a method would not require much inspiration, they would not be very big either, but some people don't want to put the effort into reading long reviews anyway. Problem is, it may not be possible.
The reviewers board I was talking about already survived a year or so and got over 1000 posts, over a hundred things got reviewed in the time it was up.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 11:39 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by FQuist. Reason: Flame tag removal. This insulted a certain aspect of a user.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Sep 10, 2005, 02:51 PM
Come ON, Zapper. If you're not even willing to read the full post before requesting something, don't go around being arrogant towards someone who is very nice about doing others a favour. It's your responsibility to read the full post, and it's especially nice if you would do that if you are asking something of someone. You can at least be respectful. And you are not told to double post, since it specifically says you can only ask for one review a week (in the first paragraph of the post!).

Nice work, Cooba.

I'm interested in your ideas about the reviewers forum, Littlefreak.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Veteran

Sep 11, 2005, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fquist
Come ON, Zapper. If you're not even willing to read the full post before requesting something, don't go around being arrogant towards someone who is very nice about doing others a favour. It's your responsibility to read the full post, and it's especially nice if you would do that if you are asking something of someone. You can at least be respectful. And you are not told to double post, since it specifically says you can only ask for one review a week (in the first paragraph of the post!).
4-0
Quote:
I didn't offer to Cooba because, well, I would have to follow his 1 review a week option.
So that's a bad thing that I'm trying not to have my (-) busy with thrice as much review requests?

JCF Member

Sep 11, 2005, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FQuist
I'm interested in your ideas about the reviewers forum, Littlefreak.
AOEH Reviewers board

As you can see, it's for the old AOE game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooba
If you are not satisfied with quality of my review, point out what don't you like and I will try to do my best to improve it.
I have thought a little about the review on my pack. While it's of very good quality, I came to the conclusion that your rating standards seem to be too high.

If you sweep through the downloads section you'll find a lot of other Single Player packs that are actually a lot worse than mine and have higher ratings. I can send you an example via PM if you want.

It's not a problem for me to get a 4, no need to edit the review on my pack. But you should try rating a little more "friendly" on future uploads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapper
didn't offer to Cooba because, well, I would have to follow his 1 review a week option.
I think you misunderstood something here. Cooba will do more than one review a week, but he won't be reviewing more than one upload of the same author. That way, he can prevent himself from getting 30 requests at once from the same designer.

JCF Veteran

Sep 11, 2005, 03:25 AM
Quote:
If you sweep through the downloads section you'll find a lot of other Single Player packs that are actually a lot worse than mine and have higher ratings.
Standards changing I guess .

JCF Member

Sep 11, 2005, 03:35 AM
*newer Single Player packs that are a lot worse, while having higher ratings than mine.

JCF Veteran

Sep 11, 2005, 03:51 AM
Quote:
*newer Single Player packs that are a lot worse, while having higher ratings than mine.
Which I didn't review yet.

JCF Member

Sep 11, 2005, 04:04 AM
Well, ok. It was just a suggestion.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Sep 11, 2005, 10:31 AM
Some people rate stricter than others. And general strictness does change. Aiko used to be approached negatively by some for being really strict with rating, later on most people adopted his level of strictness.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Veteran

Sep 11, 2005, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fquist
Aiko used to be approached negatively by some for being really strict with rating, later on most people adopted his level of strictness.
Overrater >:(.

JCF Member

Sep 11, 2005, 11:06 AM
That strictness makes it even harder to get good ratings though. I don't support that.

Average eyecandy should get an average score - such as 5.5.

JCF Member

Sep 12, 2005, 12:59 AM
Thanx cooba for reviewing Toasted territory!

Last edited by Satan; Sep 12, 2005 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Because I can

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Sep 12, 2005, 08:19 PM
Might as well post this here. Ask me to review your level or beta test it or the such, I'll do it. I follow all of Cooba's rules except:
Quote:
I will not review your level if it's got over 10 reviews, unless the reviews are insufficient according to today's standards.

I will not review:
Conversions from games I haven't played.
Jazz1/Jazz2 utilities.
Music remixes.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

JCF Member

Sep 13, 2005, 02:51 AM
I simply disagree. Everyone hates it if someone gives a higher rating than something deserves. So things should not get a lower rating than they deserve either.

JCF Veteran

Sep 13, 2005, 05:51 AM
Quote:
I simply disagree. Everyone hates it if someone gives a higher rating than something deserves. So things should not get a lower rating than they deserve either.
...if I only knew what in the hell does this have to do with the topic.

Tublear, the problem is, your reviews are barely longer than two lines and thus tell nothing about the upload's quality. On the contrary, mine should tell.
FireSworD

JCF Member

Sep 14, 2005, 01:09 PM
I have yet to recieve a bad review. I just want to know what it feels like.
Review: http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/dow...hp?levelID=748

Do it.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 01:15 PM
White Rabbit
This message has been deleted by White Rabbit. Reason: Haha. :P

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Sep 14, 2005, 08:48 PM
http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/dow...p?levelID=1330
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:00 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba.

JCF Veteran

Oct 6, 2005, 11:36 AM
Woah, I forgot all about this. I will try to review those uploads this weekend, I think.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Oct 7, 2005, 06:18 AM
Speaking of reviews, where's Joseph Collins? Music uploads are starting to lack reviews again.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Oct 7, 2005, 09:15 AM
Maybe he got tired.

Has he ever been rating something above 3 anyway?