Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » The Art & Fiction Forum

Two Games Joined - "Made of Hate" demo EP

View Poll Results: Which of the tracks is your favourite?
Warlord 2 28.57%
Made of Hate 1 14.29%
Tied Down 0 0%
The Inevitable 0 0%
Sinner 0 0%
Reflection 2 28.57%
I hate all of them >[ 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Mar 11, 2009, 09:51 AM
Talking Two Games Joined - "Made of Hate" demo EP

Now, this may be something unusual. This part of the forum does not often see music being introduced, and I think the last time somebody made an actual EP/album in the community was Two Piece Squirrel's "You Suck at the Internet" (which is awesome btw and coincidentally also begins with 'Two'), so I'm not sure if there will be much of a response, but I'm giving it a try. This thing right here is a demo EP I have made to test myself, start taking my music making seriously and try to establish myself as a musical artist further than in just remixing Jazz Jackrabbit songs (but hey, I'm not giving that up). I even changed my artist name to something more sounding like a band/project rather than a screenname (a maybe not so cool feature of many video game remixers) and made sure nobody else uses it so I wouldn't have to change it anymore just in case (also works good if I ever got to gather a live band). So headfirst, some info about the record itself.

But first... WARNING PARENTAL ADVISORY EXPLICIT LYRICS WELL SOMETIMES MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE BUT STILL

...with that out of the way, we may continue.

The title is "Made of Hate" (as seen in the thread title) and it's 30 minutes of rage, uneasiness and other unpleasant things wrapped up in a cross between the good old industrial, the heavier forms of synth rock and the sound reminescent of demoscene and old video games, something I think most of us in the community are common with. In fact, it was done in ModPlug Tracker, mostly because I was trying to get a sound of the early 90's (when music, particularly industrial, was good). Another concept was to finish the whole thing in no more than 2 weeks. Why? Because at the time I was going through a sort of depression and I wanted to exploit this state of mind to create songs out of it. After said 2 weeks I had to travel home for Christmas and after returning I just wouldn't feel the record. I did fit in the limit, but to archieve this I had only one day to record vocals - and that's noticeable. Finally, I put quite a lot of my solipsistic approach to the world into the lyrics and the songs sort of form a logical, almost storytelling order. There's certainly something happening between the beginning and the end.

Before getting to the links, I would also like to remind that this is a demo and although I did spend a lot of time working on mixing this, I'm no expert at the technical side of sound so the mix is certainly not perfect. So please don't be harsh at it. Bashing anything else is okay, welcome and cool. In fact, whatever way you comment, it's cool. Just... give a word about it. I'd be grateful.

Enough with the crap nobody reads, here are the links:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/n07yba - 320 kb/s mp3s with lyrics in txt and a cover image
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3nqb37 - DIY kit, lossless master track with a cue image file and printable artwork to make your own cool-looking 'original' copy
http://www.sendspace.com/file/el4tsv - original Impulse Tracker files (and Audacity files for track 4) for remixing, remastering and sampling, if you feel like

(it's all on SendSpace because I don't have a website yet, but this is slowly being worked on)

Track listing:
1. Warlord - 0:48
2. Made of Hate - 4:54
3. Tied Down - 8:24
4. The Inevitable - 5:00
5. Sinner - 5:03
6. Reflection - 5:52

One last thing - I'm giving this away on Creative Commons license, so basically you can do anything with these (for example use in movies or mixtapes), as long as you give credit; in fact, I'd be happy if you did!

Enjoy!

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

Last edited by DoubleGJ; Mar 11, 2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: THERE ARE BAD WORDS IN THIS 8|

JCF Member

PT32 is an asset to this forum

Mar 15, 2009, 02:20 PM
interesting idea! I'll hafta put some of mine up here [30+ songs at least...]. Mine's instrumental, tho.

IN DEVELOPMENT:
Renascence: The Last Jackrabbit

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Mar 16, 2009, 12:19 AM
After this 30 minute download is finished, I will listen critically.

PS: Yes my internet sucks, now go find yourself a lollipop or something.

The way I speak of these tracks: I type while I'm listening, so I suggest you do so too if you don't know what I'm talking about.

--

The first track, Warlord, well, I like it a lot. It's like, well, epic, and stuff. It's the intro to a story yet to unfold.

The second one, the titlesong, is... well... not quite my style. The voice (is it you?) is kind of Nirvana-ish. I like that. But 'Made of Hate' is a bit too busy for my liking.

The track after that, Tied Down, is more in my style. Nice, easy-going and pleasant on the voice. Me likes.

Next. "The Inevitable"... kind of odd when you realise, the next song, it is inevitable.... okay enough oddness. Speaking oddness, this song starts with slowmotion voices and silent guitarplay. As it slowly levels out, the guitar can be heard better. Odd use of chords, but creative. After a while, the guitar silences again, to introduce the oncoming actual 'start' of the song. With a beatbox-like sound and lots of moaning, this track is obviously odd. =D This holds out for a while, until the wah-wah guitar kicks in, along with a rotary organ and some actual drums... And then, I thought my mum was vacuuming, but it was the song... Okay.

Sinner. That's how the song starts. SIIINNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. This repeats the following four lines. Usually I stop listening now, but I respect you as an artist (opposing to a lot of metal artists that use these kind of introductions). Actually, it gets quite funky after this... and well, more screaming later. Not quite my style, unfortunately.

Reflection, the last song already. Hey wow, this starts very cool. Awesome. I love these kind of 'goblin-intros' as I call them. Don't ask me why, but there is a sample on my Yamaha that sounds like this and it's called Goblin. So yeah. Moving on... this song doesn't seem to move on quickly, so forgive me as I skip a bit. Oh wait. Voice. And bell-ish sounds. Cool. Nice mix. Oh wait, there's more. Drums. Sounds really chiptune 80's style. Now my right ear is beeping.... No wait, left... Both... This sounds really Nintendo. Now the song really kicks in... and... someone answer the phone. Odd sounds.

Okay, so that's my 'first impression' read-through. Time for a verdict... to be entirely honest, this takes time getting used to. I don't like this kind of music VERY much, so adapting is the greatest step for me. The songs are all well orchestrated, though, it's just my major complaint is... well, the voice. Screaming and talking through the songs. I dunno if this is 'traditional' in industrial, but that's just one thing I'm not often in the mood for.

... well, that's really all I have to say.

Last edited by CrimiClown; Mar 16, 2009 at 07:27 AM.

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

Mar 23, 2009, 01:10 PM
Record some metal-album, and I might be actually interested to review that.

However I voted for the last track, just so you know. It seemed to have the best atmosphere overall.

JCF Member

Mar 23, 2009, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivando View Post
Record some metal-album
I'm not interested in limiting myself to a selected genre. While I'm trying to gain a general idea of my style, I always drifted in the middle of rock music and electronic music. The current song bits I have in work are even more diverse, ranging from 60's rock 'n' roll performed with distorted synthesizers to experimental semi-abstract piece (the only thing which makes it not completely abstract is a set tempo).

also I do not identify myself with any subculture or movement
hurr durr

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

CrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legendCrimiClown is a forum legend

Mar 24, 2009, 12:08 AM
I assume you've read my post by now so I'll just say:

When I'm REALLY AGNRY this music fits my mood perfectly... not that I'm angry a lot, but when I am... Well, I like it.

This is a good example of mood-fitting music.

RLY AGNRY
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Mar 24, 2009, 05:42 AM
Made Of Hate wins with the Still Alive sample but Reflection is still better.

JCF Member

Mar 24, 2009, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimiClown View Post
I assume you've read my post by now so I'll just say:

When I'm REALLY AGNRY this music fits my mood perfectly... not that I'm angry a lot, but when I am... Well, I like it.

This is a good example of mood-fitting music.

RLY AGNRY
Of course I read it, thank you for the review.

Yeah, that's how it was designed to be - kind of a 'from angry to angry' music, maybe not good for weeping in a corner but good for (-)(-)(-)(-)ing (-)(-)(-)(-) up. >] It's how industrial often works, like for example Ministry, which is more political-oriented but it's still destruction in pure form. I'm faaaar away behind them, but I tried.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Mar 24, 2009, 08:15 AM
It wasn't really a review, more of a walkthrough.......... :P

JCF Member

Apr 6, 2009, 02:43 PM
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8g0zym

A remix of Reflection by Luigi Elettrico. His vision of the song is based on the first half of the song and pushes it more towards a polished, pop-ambient (or whatever that is, I'm not very good at telling genres) with a solid mix and enlarged, catchy melodies. If the EP itself felt too heavy for you, you might just enjoy this.

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Apr 7, 2009, 06:35 PM
I like the remix, sounds good

JCF Member

May 2, 2009, 12:04 PM
I made a bonus track! Although now I'm not as angry as back then, I managed to keep the EP's atmosphere and at the same time add some good ol' (-)ing (-) up. That's exactly what I find lacking in the EP itself - pure, unadulterated power. And what's better for that than the old industrial classic. Army of Me was already covered hundreds of times, but I assure you that my version does not go unnoticed - I did my best to make it as angry and twisted as possible. I used all my creativity to put my own emotions, character and creativity into the vocals. I even changed the lyrics a bit so they fit more into Made of Hate (you can even consider it a sort of epilogue), so I'm also adding a txt file to the mp3.

In case someone asks, the one behind the idea to shift vocals to the left was Luigi Elettrico - if I understood well, he decided that with such a difference in frequency and a wall of sound in the music we needed an idea to make the vocals actually audible while not making them stand out of the mix too much, and in his opinion the music itself is based a bit more to the right anyway (I didn't notice anything, but okay, he's the pro here).

7. Army of Me (Björk cover) - 4:44

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p60j3k
And since some people aren't happy with my uploading everything to SendSpace... here's a MediaFire mirror: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3...4e75f6e8ebb871

|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
||
Shadows (album)

Last edited by DoubleGJ; May 2, 2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: forgot one line

Tags
music