Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

[CONTEST] Diamondus Warzone Remakes

Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

May 5, 2014, 05:51 AM
[CONTEST] Diamondus Warzone Remakes

Hi guys, Rag here. Gonna make this fairly brief: I'm looking for people to remake Diamondus Warzone (capture3.j2l) in any way they deem fit, though I'll lay down a few small rules or judging regulations.

I'd like to point out that I am dishing out a monetary prize of 50 dollars to the winner, so I will be the lone judge, no voting, though you're welcome to throw in your own opinions as reviews for the levels or something, I would like to see what others think.

So what am I looking for?
  • A quality level that can be played in 3v3-sized games, much like the current DW, but must still somehow resemble DW or be based off of the original layout.
  • Changes and reworks to the gameplay in ways that make the level more fun and mostly balanced.
  • A tiny addition of eyecandy, I don't ask for much.

Just so you know, I have zero knowledge of how scripting works, and I don't mind if you use it but I want you to all know that I'll only be looking at the level from a players' perspective.

Moreover, eyecandy is appreciated but not required, if someone overdoes it I probably will get more annoyed than like it. You can do whatever you like to the level though; be it change the tileset, add more carrots, rearrange events, change events, make it bigger, whatever!

I highly advise you test this creation with your friends and make sure its as perfect as you can make it, as I want the level to be playable in 3v3. Given that I would like the level to be as good as possible, please note that I reserve the right to not award the full monetary prize if the winning entry is not to a high enough standard, though I'm sure anyone can achieve it with enough testing and time put into making the level. Also please note that I'd be happy to test too but I can not give suggestions.

Get JCSing, and submit your entries by uploading them to J2O with the tag "DW REMAKE". Only one entry per person. Collabs are allowed. You have until Sunday 3rd August 2014 23:59 GMT to submit these levels. Good luck and have fun!

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

May 5, 2014, 05:54 AM
Finally, motivation to put my DW remake concept into form.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

May 5, 2014, 06:13 AM
Oh and please feel free to ask any questions here

Last edited by Ragnarok!; May 5, 2014 at 07:19 AM.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

May 5, 2014, 07:51 AM
I'm in

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

May 5, 2014, 12:24 PM
I'll remake DW, but it probably won't be very similar layout-wise.

JCF Member

Foly has disabled reputation

May 5, 2014, 12:38 PM
Now where is sykeo when you need him?

But yeah, this sounds like a fun contest
[13:07:13] *** Foly is on a KILLING SPREE!
[13:07:14] *** you killed yourself
[13:07:14] *** Foly was looking good but died instead...

JCF Member

KRSplatinum is a forum legendKRSplatinum is a forum legend

May 5, 2014, 12:55 PM
Count me as a maybe. DW is one of my favorite levels, plus one of the most oft-edited. Remaking it would be a fun challenge for me.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

May 5, 2014, 01:46 PM
Also I realize it was implied but not directly said in post 1, entries should be CTF please

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

May 5, 2014, 05:37 PM
Oddly enough, I started a small project that would fit the spirit of this contest perfectly just a couple days ago. We'll see if I actually get around to finishing it, but for the time being, count me in!

(inb4 FS submits an entry, therefore pwning anything I could conceivably come up with)

JCF Member

May 7, 2014, 08:55 PM
Here is my entry, KRS DP - diamondius peace zone.

https://googledrive.com/host/0B1qSYF...ace%20Zone.zip

Not intended to be much like DW but a spiritual minimap including original music made last year.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

May 8, 2014, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum View Post
Here is my entry, KRS DP - diamondius peace zone.

https://googledrive.com/host/0B1qSYF...ace%20Zone.zip

Not intended to be much like DW but a spiritual minimap including original music made last year.
Making a tiny map is anything but peaceful.

"original music" - ?????? I hear a bunch of MIDIfied JJ1 tunes.

This isn't DW anything at all. When you take out the title, there's nothing to remind you of DW.

You know what...I'm just going to take this map a joke entry until proven otherwise (especially the fact it hasn't been uploaded to J2o). If it's really serious, it's sad to see a levelmaker has barely improved within the last 15 years.

Anyway, I have a DW edit lying around started a couple of years ago. I've been hesitant about uploading it because I'm not sure if enough people like it.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

May 8, 2014, 10:04 AM
You don't need to over analyze and get sad, Treylina. This is a competitive contest and the judges have to decide who is the winner. İf you don't enjoy the level, is there really a need to criticize and call my level a joke? You will only frustrate yourself trying to compare this to DW.

Furthermore, you can't accurately say that I haven't improved in 15 years because you haven't seen the 10+ levels I made in the last year. I had to stop uploading to J2O because my level packs are too large, you can only eliminate your chances of having fun by disliking my levels. This isn't a review thread either, this is a contest and your opinion isn't necessary for the judges to determine what level is the best.

I obviously didn't take a lot of time to make this level. What is the point of over analyzing such a small effort? You didn't pay me to make this and therefore I'm not responsible for whether or not you like it. The only thing I'm responsible for is uploading the level and letting you download it, so I recommend you delete it if you don't like it.

In other news, this isn't a MIDI edit of JJ1 music, it's a complete remake with accurate notation. In other words, it's an original arrangement of compositions from JJ1, which is also MIDI-compatible but this isn't in MIDI format either.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:04 PM
Treylina
This message has been deleted by Treylina. Reason: too long drawn out

JCF Member

May 8, 2014, 12:39 PM
So what is the point of focusing on my entry, if there are no other entries? Why don't you just make your own entry, you don't have to keep talking about my entry. If you are that adamant about disliking my entry, I can delete the download link and all my posts in the thread. But then the contest would have 0 entries so far, so it's really counter intuitive why you would criticize me for making a contest entry, when you could just wait for the judges to tell you why your level might do better in the contest than mine.

JCF Member

May 8, 2014, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplatinum View Post
So what is the point of focusing on my entry, if there are no other entries? Why don't you just make your own entry, you don't have to keep talking about my entry. If you are that adamant about disliking my entry, I can delete the download link and all my posts in the thread. But then the contest would have 0 entries so far, so it's really counter intuitive why you would criticize me for making a contest entry, when you could just wait for the judges to tell you why your level might do better in the contest than mine.
The contest just begun a few days ago lol. How do you expect people to be submitting entries already?

My entry is actually fairly finished, it was kinda done before this contest happened. I just need to playtest it before I consider more changes. Also, it's easier to make points on a forum, than it is to levelmake.

Also, sometimes contests never get a conclusion due to poor quality entries (asides from the contest host forgetting about them). That's what happened with my battle level contest.

JCF Veteran

cooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of lightcooba is a glorious beacon of light

May 8, 2014, 01:51 PM
Shut up you two

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

May 8, 2014, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Making a tiny map is anything but peaceful.

"original music" - ?????? I hear a bunch of MIDIfied JJ1 tunes.

This isn't DW anything at all. When you take out the title, there's nothing to remind you of DW.

You know what...I'm just going to take this map a joke entry until proven otherwise (especially the fact it hasn't been uploaded to J2o). If it's really serious, it's sad to see a levelmaker has barely improved within the last 15 years.

Anyway, I have a DW edit lying around started a couple of years ago. I've been hesitant about uploading it because I'm not sure if enough people like it.
I'm going to assume this is a joke post, because if not it's one of the worst examples of just plain being an ass I've ever seen on the JCF. Treylina, not only should you leave the judging to the judges, but you should have some tiny amount of respect for someone who's been involved in the community a hell of a lot longer than you.

KRSplat, for what it's worth I can absolutely see how your entry was 'spiritually inspired' by DW, and it's a totally valid entry in my mind.

JCF Member

May 8, 2014, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja View Post
I'm going to assume this is a joke post, because if not it's one of the worst examples of just plain being an ass I've ever seen on the JCF. Treylina, not only should you leave the judging to the judges, but you should have some tiny amount of respect for someone who's been involved in the community a hell of a lot longer than you.

KRSplat, for what it's worth I can absolutely see how your entry was 'spiritually inspired' by DW, and it's a totally valid entry in my mind.
It's just the way I phrase things is considered vocal. I don't really know what other way to put it.

Anyway, I don't want to say anymore on this. All said what has been said and I'm enough of a bag of anxiety already (some of it is unrelated to this, though).

Last edited by Treylina; May 9, 2014 at 01:39 AM. Reason: clearing something up
FireSworD

JCF Member

May 8, 2014, 06:17 PM
Anyone else making entries? - I pretty much got mine planned out. Oh, and I'm using scripts, so you all got competition.

JCF Member

May 8, 2014, 09:08 PM
İt's ok people, İ know this is off topic but friendship always involves arguments. İt's when you can see through the tone of voice enough to cherish the message at hand.

İ know İ can improve at level making and Treylina makes the point that this level is just too small for 3v3, which does make sense.

İ also have an edit of DW but this isn't for edits, while my edit is basically just a slight change to the warp in the upper left corner which allows players to camp under the warp and jump directly up to warp to the C. İt's a campy edit and İ don't know who would want to play an even more campy version of DW. Furthermore the music in that level is kind of inappropriate for this board.

JCF Veteran

May 8, 2014, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ninja View Post
you should have some tiny amount of respect for someone who's been involved in the community a hell of a lot longer than you.
You are stuck in the past decade so hard that it's terrifying to look at.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

May 9, 2014, 02:06 AM
Shut up, all of you, unless it's about the contest.

Treylina, I'd really appreciate it if you'd be less confrontational in your posts.
Old May 9, 2014, 03:36 AM
KRSplatinum
This message has been deleted by KRSplatinum. Reason: unnecessary
FireSworD

JCF Member

Jun 19, 2014, 04:11 PM
I wonder if anyone here has considered using the lightning shield that's in the original DW.

JCF Veteran

Jun 19, 2014, 11:13 PM
I am using it.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Jun 29, 2014, 06:58 PM
Just over a month left!!
FireSworD

JCF Member

Aug 2, 2014, 07:01 PM
Done.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Aug 3, 2014, 07:18 PM
Looks like FS is the only entrant and won by default!!! I'll review it within the week and I will contact you further xoxo

Last edited by Ragnarok!; Aug 7, 2014 at 08:25 AM. Reason: apologies, unforeseen circumstances, busy next two days so ill review a bit later than initially said
FireSworD

JCF Member

Aug 3, 2014, 08:25 PM
Thanks Rag!

The level making process for this contest was fun, but the competition from other people was lacking. I really wanted some strong competition...that was no fun!

JCF Veteran

Aug 6, 2014, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok View Post
Looks like FS is the only entrant
KRSplat
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Aug 6, 2014, 03:53 AM
its not tagged as "dw remake" on j2o

JCF Member

Aug 8, 2014, 02:17 PM
I maybe would've entered if I didn't lost interest in jj2 atm. I kinda thought the deadline would be extended due to lack of entries. God knows if it counted as a DW remake though.