Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Watch out for Q account hackers!

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Oct 3, 2003, 04:10 AM
Exclamation Watch out for Q account hackers!

Yesterday after being more then 4 years on QuakeNet. I was kicked down by some Q account hacker. The person who did this was able to find a weak spot in my Windows XP pro and attacked me on the following way. First A DDoS to slowdown my connection and computer. With that in his advance he changed my password rapidly and email adress. After that he toke all the +n's away at my Q chans and banned everybody out of the channel.
Lucky for me I have some Qnet Oppers and Server Administrators as a friend so they easly restored my Q account and gave me my rights back at #Jj2 / #[GpW] and so on.

But this isn't just QuakeNet only, other IRC's where you have ChanServ or X bot can have the same problem with the same sort of people that only wants to do damage on your Channel.

I want to warn EVERYBODY that it could happen to anyone on any time. There for i''ve made now a small column at ClanBase to protect your self a bit better. It's never 100% safe but improves alot to prevent this from happening. I've copied and pasted the value document to J2O aswell now. But I have to say it's still very ClanBase related but you prolly will get the point after reading it.

Anyhow press this clicky to read the column

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

Last edited by ShadowGPW; Oct 3, 2003 at 04:22 AM.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Oct 3, 2003, 05:48 AM
This may be interesting but belongs in misc. afaik.
the WINNER

JCF Member

the WINNER is doing well so far

Oct 3, 2003, 06:13 AM
where is that darn moving bot when you need it?

This isn't JJ2 related, and misc would have more readers anyway.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Oct 3, 2003, 06:35 AM
General talk about Jazz Jackrabbit (2) and the community that surrounds it

No its related to everybody thats in #jj2 aswell. This is very important for every user!

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends
CannibalBob

JCF Member

CannibalBob is doing well so far

Oct 3, 2003, 04:21 PM
mooooooving bot, come here. It goes *beep* *beep* *beep* as it reverses
AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, 768 DDR 333MHZ RAM, SoundBlaster Live! 5.1, SBS 560, WingMan Force 3D, MX700, 19" MultiSync 97F, LG CD-RW/DVD-ROM (32x12x8), SeaGate ST3200822A 200GB HD, 101 KB, & no consoles.

JCF Member

Tik is doing well so far

Oct 3, 2003, 05:46 PM
First of all, this topic is relevant and needs to be seen. Second of all, the moving bot has been defunct for a long time, rest his data.
Trafton

JCF Member

Trafton is an asset to this forum

Oct 3, 2003, 06:35 PM
First of all, the descriptor of General Jazz 2 Talk means community matters, not things important to the community. Otherwise there would be no such thing as Misc., because anything that is posted is relevant to the JJ2 community because it is posted by a JJ2 community member. This belongs in Misc.

This article is useful, but important security points are missed:
  • Always keep Windows XP patches up to date.
  • Never give passwords to those you do not know.
  • Do not use simplistic passwords.

~ Traft
Lama

JCF Member

Lama is doing well so far

Oct 3, 2003, 09:44 PM
Trafton, "live microorganisms in the lacto-bacilli shirota strain helping digestion" is definitely miscellaneous because I can't think of how it relates to the "Jazz Jackrabbit (2) and the community that surrounds it."

However, Shadow's topic is still within the boundaries of General JJ2 Talk because he's telling the "community that surrounds it" what happened to him and what we can do to prevent it from happening to us. Sure, he can put it in Misc. as well because generally everything is accepted there but it doesn't need to be moved from here because it is NOT off-topic.

"I fake so many people that I don't know what my own name is any more." ~Overlord

"Well... UR MOMS FAT" ~CrimiClown®

"Why is baking soda so magically delicious?" ~Doubble Dutch

"Hypodise." ~Link
$tilettø

JCF member

$tilettø has disabled reputation

Oct 3, 2003, 10:51 PM
Isnt this just the work of simple hackers.. no need to make an thread about it actualy?

anyway, people who are a bit smart would know most things like this, like that you should run a firewall, and never give out your password or whatever..
Lama

JCF Member

Lama is doing well so far

Oct 9, 2003, 01:12 AM
Stylo, Shadow just wanted to warn people, creating a thread about something like this is not inappropriate. Most people "are not a bit smart" about things like this, AFAIK.

"I fake so many people that I don't know what my own name is any more." ~Overlord

"Well... UR MOMS FAT" ~CrimiClown®

"Why is baking soda so magically delicious?" ~Doubble Dutch

"Hypodise." ~Link