Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ v5.12 (last updated 20 August, 2023)

JCF Member

XxMoNsTeRXM is doing well so far

Aug 17, 2015, 06:00 AM
5.0 was released in April, and now it's august, any news about 5.1 or the next version?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Aug 17, 2015, 06:09 AM
A soon-ish new release is in the works, this will contain fewer improvements than the latest updates but will fix some bugs and introduce anti-radar mode

As usual, no exact release date will/can be given.

Last edited by Stijn; Aug 17, 2015 at 06:23 AM.

JCF Member

Primpy is an asset to this forumPrimpy is an asset to this forum

Aug 17, 2015, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
A soon-ish new release is in the works, this will contain fewer improvements than the latest updates but will fix some bugs and introduce anti-radar mode

As usual, no exact release date will/can be given.
That's great! I just hope it will not last more than one year.

"Floppy ears and a big butt?" - Slaz

JCF Member

Ja22 is doing well so far

Aug 18, 2015, 04:03 AM
This patch is great! I can't wait to see future updates!

JCF Member

juanpablo123 should make better posts

Aug 21, 2015, 07:24 PM
(I use 1.24)

Need help.

I installed this new update and I used plusifier on Jazz2.exe and when I tried to run the new copy, the splash screen appears but the game doesn't start...

What I mean is that the splash screen appears just fine, but after just a few seconds, the splash screen disappears and the game window does not open.

I also checked compatibility mode with all modes, Nothing.
Also in the Task Manager when the splash screen disappears, the Jazz2+ process terminates itself.

Finally, I use Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Help me.

QUICK EDIT: The problem is caused from the lastest plus.dll

Last edited by juanpablo123; Aug 22, 2015 at 12:05 AM.

JCF Member

Aug 22, 2015, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpablo123 View Post
(I use 1.24)

Need help.

I installed this new update and I used plusifier on Jazz2.exe and when I tried to run the new copy, the splash screen appears but the game doesn't start...

What I mean is that the splash screen appears just fine, but after just a few seconds, the splash screen disappears and the game window does not open.

Also in the Task Manager when the splash screen disappears, the Jazz2+ process terminates itself.

Help me.

Maybe redownload the plus?

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Aug 22, 2015, 05:43 AM
Quote:
(I use 1.24)

Need help.

Help me.

There's a special dll for Windows XP users in this thread. Try using that one. Btw, you should try to upgrade to a newer OS.

JCF Member

Aug 22, 2015, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakerNL View Post
There's a special dll for Windows XP users in this thread. Try using that one. Btw, you should try to upgrade to a newer OS.
I tried with Windows 7, but games and this graphics card are slower so I decided to stay with Windows XP.
Also, I need help locating it. I don't want to "next page next page". No. Just locate me the DLL and i'll download it straight away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
Maybe redownload the plus?
I tried. Didn't work.
Gamerz31w

Banned

Gamerz31w is doing well so far

Aug 22, 2015, 01:00 PM
it's http://www.moddb.com/mods/jazz-jackr...ortal-maps-v10 i have no iead where are any instructions of these custom stages?

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Aug 23, 2015, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Also, I need help locating it. I don't want to "next page next page". No. Just locate me the DLL and i'll download it straight away.
http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showp...postcount=1086

I went two pages back.

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Aug 23, 2015, 05:47 AM
Perhaps that DLL should be on the first post instead? Then at least the XP users still out there (not me) are warned that they need to download a different file for now. Saves a lot of questions and 'next paging' with little effort.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 05:52 AM
Gamerz31w
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: I've had enough of this
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:39 AM
Violet CLM
This message has been deleted by Stijn.

JCF Member

Aug 23, 2015, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
I tried to download it, but I can't...
I just clicked on the link and then instead of giving me the file it sent me to "http://error404.000webhost.com/?". Maybe the site was not found?

Also can someone or you upload a copy of that plus?

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 23, 2015, 01:57 PM
I swear, you people.
The dll in the main download was replaced with that one in April. One day after the release.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 24, 2015, 10:40 AM
Seeing a new JDC season start, we decided to aim for a sooner release, and I'm happy to announce we finished work on version 5.1 today. As often happens after a major release, this update mostly focuses on fixing various bugs and glitches in previously introduced features. The highlights of this release are built-in support of 800×600 resolution and an /antiradar command that prevents some most commonly used forms of cheating.

You can download the new release from the first post in this thread or just click here.

The full change log is available here.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Aug 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM.

JCF Member

Aug 25, 2015, 04:11 AM
I opened my server and this error happened, I don't know if this error was before 5.1, because it never happened before, here is the error:

JCF Member

ShakerNL is an asset to this forumShakerNL is an asset to this forum

Aug 25, 2015, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxMoNsTeRXM View Post
I opened my server and this error happened, I don't know if this error was before 5.1, because it never happened before, here is the error:
Are you using Windows XP?

JCF Member

Aug 25, 2015, 08:30 AM
What level was that, what scripts it was running, and what command line arguments were used.

Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Another Jazz 2 fan has disabled reputation

Aug 26, 2015, 12:53 PM
I'd love to try out JJ2+ levels. Is there any way to filter for levels that use/require JJ2+ on the J2O downloads page?

Proud to be an old-timer! Rarely active, but Jazz Jackrabbit will always be in my heart.

Check out my War Tavern story, The Life of Jason Jackrabbit! [UPDATE - yeah, it died in 2002, but it was fun!]
Current Projects: Devan's Secret Weapon - yes, I still intend to release this some day. Got a lot of really great stuff done, it's going to be awesome!

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 26, 2015, 01:01 PM
Searching for "j2as" works pretty well, excepting pit levels, or you can keep an eye out for the little + icon just to the left of download names.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 04:17 PM
juanpablo123
This message has been deleted by juanpablo123. Reason: I have 2013-09-19 working.
Another Jazz 2 fan

JCF Member

Another Jazz 2 fan has disabled reputation

Aug 26, 2015, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
Searching for "j2as" works pretty well, excepting pit levels, or you can keep an eye out for the little + icon just to the left of download names.
Thanks for the tip! Wow, I hadn't even noticed the little + icon - that icon is really little!

It'd be cool if there was a new filter added for it to one of the dropdowns.

I would've been all over JJ2+ back in my level-making glory days. At this point I'm just hoping to get together the resolve to actually finish off and polish my levels.

Proud to be an old-timer! Rarely active, but Jazz Jackrabbit will always be in my heart.

Check out my War Tavern story, The Life of Jason Jackrabbit! [UPDATE - yeah, it died in 2002, but it was fun!]
Current Projects: Devan's Secret Weapon - yes, I still intend to release this some day. Got a lot of really great stuff done, it's going to be awesome!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 04:02 PM
juanpablo123
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: this doesn't have anything to do with anything

JCF Member

Sep 3, 2015, 04:58 PM
Excitement level - Infinity%.
I managed to make plus 2013-09-19 work.
Here's how I did it and what I will always do.
[JJ2+] How I fixed release 2013-09-19

Last edited by juanpablo123; Sep 3, 2015 at 05:34 PM.

JCF Member

SAMI is doing well so far

Sep 8, 2015, 09:52 AM
Comon guys, 800x600 is still 4:3 aspect ratio with extra tiles. I like it but please do something for widescreen aspect ratio so that we can play without black bars/ stretching the screen.

640x400 is somewhat widescreen but most monitors don't support it on full screen. We need a area of 640x360 or 800x480 screen area with 16:9 aspect ratio but these two resolutions have problem in fullscreen support in many monitors. So we should have 1280x720 resolution support but not like bigjazz, the screen field of view should be like that of 800x480.

I think it should be your next target cause it's wide.

JCF Member

Sep 8, 2015, 11:16 AM
Aesthetically, the bigger the resolution, the more likely it'll screw up the look of a level. 800x600 already messed up the look of many levels. It's not just that - the bigger the resolution, the more CPU it takes. Any bigger resolution has the potential to be a lagfest with levels that contain scripted visual effects. Also, the bigger the resolution, the greater the illusion that your sprite appears to be moving slower than it actually is.

I have a widescreen monitor myself, and while it is a bit stretched, it's a whole lot better than 640x480 fullscreen.

The same field of view with a bigger resolution would come out with the same exact results as before - a stretched screen or a screen with black bars.

TL;DR: JJ2 is too old for bigger resolutions.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Sep 8, 2015, 12:40 PM
To my experience, 800x600 looks fine on about all multiplayer levels (aside from some minor out-of-field oddness that was not meant to be seen), but it can seriously break visuals on the more advanced SP levels. For example EvilMike's levels that utilize multiple layers for gravity illusions, these will go out of place in 800x600.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 8, 2015, 12:47 PM
I've seen various levels with background mountains and things that get cut off a bit at the bottom. Thankfully it's optional.

5.1 also introduced a 720x400 full-screen resolution. How does that look to you?

Last edited by Violet CLM; Sep 8, 2015 at 01:31 PM.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Sep 9, 2015, 04:17 AM
I think 800x600 is great. And with the 720x400 mode, widescreen should be fine. Although TBH, I think adding a 640x360 option would be a good idea, since that would probably be the best compromise of widescreen while not breaking any existing levels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMI View Post
800x480 screen area with 16:9 aspect ratio
*854x480
Actually, I think that might work, since it would add width, but not height. Which would be especially good in splitscreen mode.

EDIT: Wait, I have a Plus suggestion!
Add an option to give each player a separate game window in local multiplayer.

Last edited by Love & Thunder; Sep 9, 2015 at 04:28 AM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 9, 2015, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo4900 View Post
Although TBH, I think adding a 640x360 option would be a good idea
The list of resolutions is requested from your hardware, not written manually.

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Sep 10, 2015, 12:21 PM
Oh, right. XD I thought it would be something like that.

JCF Member

Sep 11, 2015, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
I've seen various levels with background mountains and things that get cut off a bit at the bottom. Thankfully it's optional.

5.1 also introduced a 720x400 full-screen resolution. How does that look to you?
720x480 or 800x480 doesn't support in all monitors, thats where the problem begins. So I think we should have 1280x720 but the field of view should be of 800x480 and stretched to 1280x720- that should do the trick for fullscreen.

Quote:
Aesthetically, the bigger the resolution, the more likely it'll screw up the look of a level. 800x600 already messed up the look of many levels. It's not just that - the bigger the resolution, the more CPU it takes. Any bigger resolution has the potential to be a lagfest with levels that contain scripted visual effects. Also, the bigger the resolution, the greater the illusion that your sprite appears to be moving slower than it actually is.

I have a widescreen monitor myself, and while it is a bit stretched, it's a whole lot better than 640x480 fullscreen.

The same field of view with a bigger resolution would come out with the same exact results as before - a stretched screen or a screen with black bars.

TL;DR: JJ2 is too old for bigger resolutions.
I don't see a problem with having multiple resolutions. If you hate the play in Fullscreen or hate to have 800x480 or 16:9 aspect ratio- simply ignore it and play in default resolution. Why explaining a lot of things for not having 16:9? Or I couldn't explain myself?

If not, then here, lemme explain again:
800x480 wont support in fullscreen in all monitors. So I want 1280x720 res but the field of view would be as that of 800x480. Yes it won't look good in full screen but not everyone prefers window mode. And imo- fullscreen looks and performs better [In my opinion].

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Sep 11, 2015, 05:46 AM
This is all academical as resolutions bigger than 800x600 simply aren't possible yet on a technical level. If the plus code ever supports resolutions higher than that, you can be sure that all resolutions up to JJ2+'s limit supported by your monitor will be supported by JJ2+ as well. That probably includes 1280x720. Until then, use one of the fullscreen widescreen resolutions if your PC supports them or play windowed 800x600.

JCF Member

Sep 11, 2015, 05:50 AM
^Okay thanks for the info.

Btw, I test 800x480 on my crappy laptop monitor and it works. But I got some serious bugs like once I turn fullscreen- no matter what I do, I can't turn it to window again. If I minimize the game, then the game goes full black and I have to restart.

I can fix the window thing if I open the non plus version though.

JCF Member

proud2beamerican is doing well so far

Sep 18, 2015, 09:10 PM
Hi everyone! Is there any JJ2+ version for civilized part of the world, that is for those who use Linux? I wanted to give it a try, unfortunately the way it runs under Wine is not satisfying me enough (there is always something weird going on - jumping screen, shutting down, lags, etc.). I had to use my friend's laptop with (oh God, mercy!) Windows 10 to play it...

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 18, 2015, 10:02 PM
No, Jazz is and has always been a PC series and has always been said to run very well on Wine. If you're having specific troubles, there's probably someone around with experience on the subject who could help you out.

JCF Member

Sep 19, 2015, 02:51 PM
One thing that struck me: in JJ2 1.00g you could still collect ammo when you had 99 and go over that amount. In JJ2+ you can't go over 99... Isn't that something easy to fix? Especially since the older version of JJ2 had it working already

Administrator

Sep 19, 2015, 02:55 PM
Pretty much every level was designed with the 99 limit in mind. Removing the limit would change gameplay in a major way, especially in multiplayer. That said, using AngelScript the limit shouldn't be hard to remove for levels you create yourself.

JCF Éminence Grise

Sep 19, 2015, 03:19 PM
There's not an easy way atm to change that kind of setting for the single player campaign, but you can hack it together by creating these two files:
Code:
//castle1.j2as

void onLevelLoad() {
  jjChat("/mutators noammolimit on");
  for (int i = 1; i < 10; ++i)
    jjWeapons[i].maximum = 9999;
}
Code:
//noammolimit.mut

void onLevelLoad() {
  for (int i = 1; i < 10; ++i)
    jjWeapons[i].maximum = 9999;
}

JCF Member

Sep 19, 2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks guys. I don't think I'll be using it though, I was just checking the differences between versions and the features of JJ2+. I'm still surprised that such an old version like 1.00g is better at some things than JJ2+ from 2015 :P
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Sep 19, 2015, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud2beamerican View Post
Thanks guys. I don't think I'll be using it though, I was just checking the differences between versions and the features of JJ2+. I'm still surprised that such an old version like 1.00g is better at some things than JJ2+ from 2015 :P

JCF Member

Sep 19, 2015, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by proud2beamerican View Post
I'm still surprised that such an old version like 1.00g is better at some things than JJ2+ from 2015 :P
Oh...please elaborate.

I'm convinced you played no example/plus only levels, didn't play online, and didn't read the readme.

proud2beamerican

JCF Member

Sep 19, 2015, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Oh...please elaborate.

I'm convinced you played no example/plus only levels, didn't play online, and didn't read the readme.
I was referring to that one, particular thing that I have mentioned (collecting over 99 ammo). In 1.00g by default you can collect over 99, in JJ2+ you need the specific code written for the level where you want this kind of ability. IMHO being able to collect more than 99 ammo by default is superior.

And hey, snzspeed, thanks for welcoming me in such a warm manner. Unfortunately America doesn't necessarily look like that anymore, as there is so much effort put into stripping our guns.

Last edited by proud2beamerican; Sep 19, 2015 at 11:44 PM.