Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

The Poll

View Poll Results: Who is worthy?
E. Prime By BlurredD 10 55.56%
Nippius level 2 By Violet 4 22.22%
Lost Pyramid By Snooz 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

May 15, 2004, 07:25 AM
The Poll

I couldn't decide if I should post this in the JCS forum or here. I suppose here would be more appropiate since more poeple visit this forum.

E. Prime By BlurredD
Download:Here

Nippius level 2 By Violet

You and a band of other rabbits have been captured and taken to a frozen castle. Escape!(This file will overwrite your already existing Level1.010. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BACKUP. The level will be Level 4 of Episode 4) -Violet

Lost Pyramid By Snooz

Good luck. If Multiple votes are sent by the same user they will not be counted, if someone decides to spam the poll, an admin will hand him/her their fate. The poll will close within 7 days.

Last edited by FireSworD; May 15, 2004 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Grammar fix
R3ptile

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

May 15, 2004, 08:07 AM
Hey! I thought it's a private vote! Oh well..

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

May 15, 2004, 08:16 AM
I vote for Violet, simply because he made a JJ1 level.

Oh, and I like JJ1.

I do hope I get honorable mention. If not, oh well.

-ThO

JCF Member

Superjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHARTSuperjazz is OFF DA CHART

May 15, 2004, 11:44 AM
Allright, after some thinking, I finally decided to give my vote for Snooz's level. I didn't give it because we are from the same country, I clearly saw that his level was better than other ones in my opinion.

At first when I saw blur's level, it looked quite good, and I thought that I would give it a vote at first. Violet's level was kind of, naah ok. It took quite long while to get to play Violet's level because I had to do the same as RoW. Then I played Snooz's level, it looked kinda weird at first when I saw the keen-tileset, but after I explored the level totally, It was a bit better than blur's one in my opinion hovewer.
Yes, blur's level had nice eyecandy and gameplay, etc. also. But actually I noticed that Snooz's level's eyecandy was a bit more complicated and looked nice, especially when it was a keen-tileset.
The gameplay could have been better, because both bases were in upstairs and carrying flags happened kinda quickly. But layout is very great, and it's rather symmetrical. The only thing I wondered, was how was this a pyramid? Where is that pyramid? oh...so it wasn't that kind of exciting level but, I anyways finally decided to give the vote for Snooz's level. Heh, finally a long comment about the vote.

And I'm some disappointed about myself also because I still tried to add my level to the contest, because I understood that the dead-line was like this whole day when I even posted this comment and vote. So I sent anyways my level to FS, and he said that it could have been in top3 instead of one of the levels, but, it was kinda my fault because I were late, so FS couldn't have replaced my level anyways, because a few people had already voted the poll, etc. But maybe I participate some another contest.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

May 15, 2004, 12:28 PM
Snooz used a Keen Tileset? Tanj-it.

I hope he gets second place!

-ThO

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

May 16, 2004, 12:04 PM
Much as I hate to vote for myself... Snooz's level just bored me, and interesting as Blur's eyecandy was, I didn't like the design at all. Plus the fly carrot area looked tacked on at the last minute and didn't seem to serve any real purpose.
(FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS USE KEEN TILESETS WITH 2x2 PIXELS)

JCF Member

Lark has disabled reputation

May 16, 2004, 02:44 PM
(KEEN WAS ORIGINALLY 320x240 AND WHEN ITS USED IN 640x480 MODE THE 2x2 PIXELS LOOK LIKE IT'S 320x240 THUS MAKING IT LOOK MORE LIKE KEEN. ALSO, KEEN USED 16x16 TILES, NOT 32x32 TILES).

JCF Member

MaGoo is doing well so far

May 16, 2004, 03:54 PM
I didn't know you were allowed to vote for yourself. It doesn't make much sense to me.

JCF Member

May 16, 2004, 04:14 PM
Voting for yourself shouldn't have a huge outcome on the results of the poll.

However doing so means you won't be able to see who voted for your level. ;P

EDIT: Oh, so when you click on the number of votes by the right it displays the people who've also voted. Thanks Derby.

Last edited by FireSworD; May 16, 2004 at 07:01 PM.
Derby

JCF Member

Derby is doing well so far

May 16, 2004, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sword!
Voting for yourself shouldn't have a huge outcome on the results of the poll.

However doing so means you won't be able to see who voted for your level. ;P
You may still see who voted by clicking on the number of votes after you have voted.
Old May 16, 2004, 06:58 PM
FireSworD
This message has been deleted by FireSworD.
Keleet

JCF Member

Keleet has disabled reputation

May 17, 2004, 04:57 AM
I went for Snooz's level, simply because it was simple and almost perfect
I liked the tileset, the layer arrangement, and I have to say the idea of his CTF level is original. The only bad thing is the ease of scoring, the bases are so close and on the same X axis that it takes 4 seconds to score. ;P I didnt like BlurredD's level as it used my hated tileset, and ofcourse its similar to another level. And im sad to say that Violet's level did not deserve a vote.

So good luck to Snooz on this one.
NeoBlaze

JCF Member

NeoBlaze has disabled reputation

May 17, 2004, 02:11 PM
FireSword,
please disregard my current vote and count it as for Snooz's level (Lost Pyramid). Thank you.

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
»» Legends Reborn [LR] Clan

http://lr-clan.fragism.com/
http://s7.invisionfree.com/lrclan/index.php

»» Xtreme Designers of Chaos [XDC] [LEADERSHIP: PIXEL SHADER]

http://lr-clan.fragism.com/?p=members
http://s7.invisionfree.com/lrclan/index.php

»» Members:

http://lr-clan.fragism.com/?p=members

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

May 17, 2004, 02:20 PM
I don't vote because I don't feel like going into JJ1. Seriously, do you expect me to spend all that time backing up levels and that sort of thing?

JCF Member

May 17, 2004, 02:51 PM
Neo: No.

KRSplat: Wow that's such an easy task. Something that is possible in the time spent making that post of yours. ;P

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

May 18, 2004, 01:37 PM
I cant vote because my computer refuses to play jj1 no matter what I do (probably because I dont have DOS), and I dont want to be unfair to Violet when voting, so no =P.

JCF Member

Alister is doing well so far

May 18, 2004, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraptor
I cant vote because my computer refuses to play jj1 no matter what I do (probably because I dont have DOS), and I dont want to be unfair to Violet when voting, so no =P.
DOSBox is now capable of running JJ1. Me happy
R3ptile

Banned

May 19, 2004, 04:10 AM
I don't have JJ1 anymore. =(

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

May 19, 2004, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
Plus the fly carrot area looked tacked on at the last minute and didn't seem to serve any real purpose.
Ironically enough, the fly carrot area was the first thing added. The fly carrot's main purpose is to give players access to the EB's, which are needed to get the bouncer and seeker powerups, and for the +1 carrot at the bottom. It can also be used for a shortcut I find particularly useful at times. I tried to include several secrets throughout my level, but I doubt too many people tried to figure out every little detail.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

May 20, 2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks, TB. =DDD

Anyways, I vote Violet, since his level is the most original (a jj1 one). Although there were many things I disliked about the level (difficulty being one of them) it was pretty cool, so I give my vote to it. =D

JCF Member

May 20, 2004, 03:11 PM
Okay thoose who at least somewhat care for Snooz's for Violet's level but are too lazy to vote: Please do!

Having a close race would be so exciting. And I would then have the deciding vote. ;P
R3ptile

Banned

May 21, 2004, 07:57 AM
BlurredD's level seems to win the contest, GJ.
FireSworD

JCF Member

May 22, 2004, 07:00 AM
I voted for Violet's level. I liked the level, and the main reason I voted for it was because of it's originality. I also voted for Violet's level because no one seems to care much about JJ1 JCS yet, and even if future people do; Violets' skills there would be unrivaled for some time.

The poll will close in less than an hour! ;P
FireSworD

JCF Member

May 22, 2004, 09:08 AM
Congrats to Blur. For his level E. Prime. Thanks to everyone who voted. Very Glad this worked out, I was expecting a complete failure because this contest was made for simply the fun of level building and as Flash said it brings new good levels. Which is the main reason I started this along with having a contest with a short amount of time involved. Thoose and trying to make the poll feature somewhat usefull.

Not the most surprising of outcomes but at least it wasn't the most predictable... :P

For thoose who were expecting a prize: Sorry, but I might do something if you bug me enough.
R3ptile

Banned

May 22, 2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks for a great concept, FS. I've played Violet's JJ1 level and left it two seconds ago, because it was too hard. Of course, most of us voted for BlurredD's level because we couldn't play Violet's. I played it, and it seemed to be the most original level in the contest. It was quite hard, and I liked it a lot. I already voted to BlurredD's level, but if one day, people will make JJ1 levels, remember who was first. ^_^

Thanks, Violet CLM, you made a great level.

JCF Éminence Grise

May 22, 2004, 11:32 AM
Haha, thanks. I didn't really expect to win - for that matter, I was playing off of the fact FS' only requirement was "non-TSF", and didn't really expect that he'd accept a non-JJ2 level. (Could I have submitted a UT2K3 map, if I had the game? One wonders.)
I agree that it was a bit too difficult, though I was working by a few comments by people who said they liked Orbitus 2 because it was the hardest part of JJ1. If I fixed all the tile bugs and actually did some difficulty settings work, like putting some obstacles only in harder difficulties and maybe adding an hourglass or two, would it be good enough to upload to J2O?
There was a topic a while back saying that people weren't making JJ1 levels because nobody else had made a JJ1 level first, so there were no standards. It went something like "If a newbie makes the first JJ1 level, everyone will follow suit, but if Violet does, nobody will ever make one again". I hope that's not true. J1CS is a very interesting tool once you get used to it, and the only way to get features such as tileset or .beh file editing will probably be showing interest in the program. And there's oodles of stuff I didn't use in that level - water and elevators and Dragoon style enemies and morphing... yeah. J1CS isn't as hard as it may seem at first glance. Give it a try.

On the subject of the contest... congratulations to Blur. I still don't particularly enjoy E-Prime, but I suppose I could get used to it if I played it enough.

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

May 22, 2004, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sword!
KRSplat: Wow that's such an easy task. Something that is possible in the time spent making that post of yours. ;P
I spent almost half an hour replying to you. Even though it took so long because I started, did something else, then finished, it's still a lot of wasted time. Then I deleted my post because it was stupid. I was saying that I take a long time to post because I have to decide if it is in my best interest to post it. I decided that I shouldn't post the post. I still wanted to reply, though. I told you about my post. That still got my original message across, though, but in a less stupid manner.

Anyway: It's not that easy for me, though. I would never remember to put it back. If I replaced the file, I would play JJ1 again in 2 or 3 years and think "What the heck?" The file would probably get lost. Then I would be uninspired. Then the same thing would happen after a year, but then I would remember last time, and this thread. I would probably have deleted the other file, though.

*after another 25 minute break consisting of relieving the body of its waste products as well as using water and soap to rinse the body*

Actually, you're right. I probably could have played Violet's level. But I would need to set up JJ1 on Windows XP, and that is assuming I can either find the CD or find it on my computer. And I would then be obliged to vote, and I'm sure all of these levels are very high quality and I wouldn't be able to decide.

JCF Member

May 22, 2004, 02:49 PM
Violet: Yes. If you fix up some things, like the tilebugs and that part where you turn grey in the beginning, I think you should upload your level.

JCF Éminence Grise

May 22, 2004, 03:00 PM
That wasn't a bug, that was "secret passage cut-away view".

JCF Member

May 22, 2004, 03:23 PM
Meh, it looked a bit out of place though.

Banned

May 23, 2004, 03:23 AM
Upload your level. Do it.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

May 23, 2004, 04:41 AM
I just played Violet's level. It's darn hard. I like it. Is it only me or the last part looks a lot like Crysilis?

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Éminence Grise

May 23, 2004, 12:03 PM
Mmm... yes, it was based heavily on Crysili. Bridges and bouncing stuff. I wanted to have the pickups in that area be gems, too, but decided that would probably get a little confusing.
I'll try to upload it today, I guess.