Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Gamemode: Invasion

JCF Member

plunK is an asset to this forum

Jul 3, 2009, 04:44 PM
Gamemode: Invasion

My newest project is i am working on creating levels for an invasion gamemode here are some basic info:

The basic rules of invasion are: There is a swarm of monsters attacking your map area, and the goal is to survive out each wave. Monsters come in an on and off pattern called waves, each getting consecutivley harder and longer.

There will be 2 major variations: Team based, and Solo.

Team based is where players attack as a team, and as long as 1 person survives the wave, all return to fight the next wave. Team based goal is to survive all 16 waves to see another day

Solo is almosdt opposite to team based. Each person fights off monsters as a team, but its 1 for all. IF you die, theres no respawning, you are out for the rest of the game. The goal is to be the person who can last the longest.

Now with this, I have a few critical questions to ask for this to work effectively, so please post your opinion.

as for enemies, Bolly, Bubba, and Queen will not be useddue to functionality of the project.

1) Boss music 1, or 2
2) How many players should i set the level standards towards?
(my current thought is jdc standard 16)
3) Will you help test whence it gets further along?

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jul 3, 2009, 08:14 PM
First of all, enemies cannot damage people in multiplayer servers. Only the host takes damage. Clients go through the hurt animation but that's all. That's assuming you host in coop mode. If you use enemies in any other gamemode (from mce's), you can just expect the game to crash.

Second, JJ2 enemies are very easy to defeat, even when you have 1 heart. A swarm of them can be dealt with just by stomping over and over. Others just walk back and forth. Only a few really chase you to any significant degree.

If you can get around these two limitations you might have something. But I have no idea what you are planning.

In any case, make your level worth with 16 players but allow any amount. Music doesn't matter. 2 I guess, because it's better.