Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Thursday is going to be Jazzy

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Dec 18, 2010, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
There's a myriad of reasons Epic could have not to make another Jazz Jackrabbit game. I personally think it's just not the kind of game they want to make; they have been in the muscular-dudes-with-guns business since Unreal Tournament (1999) and a relatively childish game like Jazz Jackrabbit simply doesn't fit in with that.
It's not an entirely valid point, though. See IO Interactive: since their beginning nearlt all they were making were Hitman games, then they made the even more brutal Kane & Lynch, and then... Mini Ninjas.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 18, 2010, 01:04 AM
Developers usually make what the majority of players, or basically just the audience they aim for, want to play. And the days that platform games were the main thing are clearly over, can't deny that. Because of this, I can see how Epic feels about Jazz. A cool character in a cool game, yet today it wouldn't bring that kind of player base as games like Gears of War would do. Even though the interest for Jazz outside of the community appears to be significantly high.

So, I think CliffyB is doing the right thing. Finding a studio like Chair Entertainment that might be able to finish the job and please us fans and other gamers without the requirement of 'fixxorz' or anything like that.
Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Dec 18, 2010, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
All right, I managed to play it following the installation instructions (warning: site contains large quantities of illegal software, don't click around). It's pretty, but yeah, there's not much too it, and for a game series that's always been about pushing technological/genre boundaries, it doesn't try very hard to be a particularly interesting game. It's good to know they remember the franchise exists, though, if nothing else.
Grow up.

Click around, that site has been the thing paying to keep JJ2 alive for years now.

JCF Member

Xtreem has disabled reputation

Dec 18, 2010, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
All right, I managed to play it following the installation instructions (warning: site contains large quantities of illegal software, don't click around).
So your happy to browse our site? and use my tutorial... yet feel the need to make a totally irrelevant comment about the site providing you and the Jazz community with something useful?

If you actually spent time on the Digiex you would realise we aim to provide high quality tutorials and host rare / hard to find downloads, such as Jazz Jackrabbit 2 for example. Digiex hosting JJ2 and the list server is likely the reason more people are playing Jazz 2 online than in the early 2000's.

Last edited by Xtreem; Dec 18, 2010 at 02:34 AM.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Dec 18, 2010, 03:22 AM
I don't think they would "lose out" if they were to ever make a Jazz game in a sidescrolling platform style with updated graphics and such. Look at Sonic (ok, even if you don't like the newer games) he's still getting 2D games and people seem to care more about that than the 3D Sonic because the Genesis/Megadrive games are truly what made him popular. To be honest that would be the best way to revive Jazz. Better graphics, new characters and a better online system etc. (or I could bore you with even more ideas which I don't want to do..)
Old Dec 18, 2010, 03:29 AM
cooba
This message has been deleted by cooba. Reason: This post had "gullible" written in it.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Dec 18, 2010, 11:31 AM
If they're gonna do it, I'm pretty sure now is the best time with the retro fad going around.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Dec 18, 2010, 02:08 PM
Exactly. Look at New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Donkey Kong Country Returns.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Dec 18, 2010, 03:30 PM
Ok, history proves I have to nip these things in the bud beforehand. So: digiex's worth/contribution/legality is offtopic here in this topic. Any post that even mentions Digiex (unrelated to linking to a tutorial or JJiOS related thing) after this is going to be deleted and its author might find him/herself getting warned.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Dec 19, 2010, 12:05 AM
iOS would be a good choice for a jazz game. The character isn't really suited to a big budget AAA games, and epic isn't really in the business of making games for XBLA or whatever (that's more of an indie studio thing). Something new like the iphone/ipad on the other hand would be an excellent platform for a small(ish) game from a big studio.

Of course, Jazz looks a bit odd with a cube for a head, but it's just a tech demo.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Dec 19, 2010, 01:05 AM
But I don't have an iPhone.
You have a point, though.

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Dec 19, 2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
and epic isn't really in the business of making games for XBLA or whatever (that's more of an indie studio thing). Something new like the iphone/ipad on the other hand would be an excellent platform for a small(ish) game from a big studio.
This makes absolutely no sense to me.
Not only does XBLA have a seperate portal for indie games (making your reasoning baseless), larger companies do contribute to it and PSN on a more regular basis than they do iOs platforms. The only company I can think of that seems to heavily lean towards the App Store, instead of heavily leaning towards the console services or having equal footing in both camps, is Square Enix. It probably helps that the types of games they typically release on it (new/updated rpgs/strategy games) are much more suited to a platform without buttons then say a platformer.
The main audience for a Jazz Jackrabbit game will be older gamers with nostalgia, I can't think of a better way to turn a good chunk of them off then by saying "And you use a touch screen to play it!". Most people do not like touch controls for a good number of genres, and the ones that typically do that Jazz would fit into would probably disappoint many people.
When you say "New Jazz Jackrabbit game, what do you want" most people will probably go "Quality 2d platformer". You're just not going to get that on an iphone, you're going to get that as a download on XBLA,PSN and Steam. Hell if Epic would get off their anti-Nintendo kick, a new 2d Jazz would probably do gangbusters on the WiiWare service which has seen a healthy amount of retro revivals from the Konami Rebirth series to Blaster Master Overdrive.
GoldRabbit

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Dec 19, 2010, 09:28 AM
To be honest, I agree with n00b. Reviving such an old franchise which, in itself, is fan-service for older players, by putting it through such a radical transformation is not the way to go. Either they make something at least familiar (not some random green hare with a malformed head shooting snakes), or at least on the platform the original game used to be.

Remember JJA? No, me neither. The fact that it was on a GBA was alone the reason the game played so differently (read:crappily). I think the best way to go would be to just put time into making it on the PC, and actually listen to the fanbase.

Of course, what I've just said is obsolete until they actually announce the game.
because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially
ThunderPX

JCF Member

Dec 19, 2010, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldRabbit View Post
The fact that it was on a GBA was alone the reason the game played so differently (read:crappily).
... what.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Dec 19, 2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
This makes absolutely no sense to me.
Not only does XBLA have a seperate portal for indie games (making your reasoning baseless), larger companies do contribute to it and PSN on a more regular basis than they do iOs platforms.
I know there's a section for "indie" games, but it's really a bit more complicated than that. There are actually a lot of indie games in the "non-indie" section of XBLA... the difference is that they are games which have been made with a bit more of a budget (although nothing huge), and usually with a lot more talent involved. The stuff you find in the "indie" section (XBLIG) tends to be a tier below that. Derik Yu, for example, has a game coming out soon on XBLA, even though he's solidly in the indie camp (he runs TIGSource). There are basically two stores on xbox live: there's XBLA, which is professional quality, and XBLIG, which is more ameteur.

You're right that larger companies do contribute to it too. It's just that they don't usually tend to be companies like epic or id, who seem to mostly be interested in AAA titles and (perhaps moreso) developing new game engines. And, when they do put stuff on there, it's usually ports of older games (id for example has doom, quake, etc on there, but nothing new).

edit: oh yeah and I chose my words poorly in that post. I said XBLA is more of an "indie" thing but I should have said it's more of a small developer thing (many are owned by larger companies). Although there are still a lot of indie devs on it too. Just thought I'd add to the confusion a bit more.

That's why I think the iOS is a good choice: it's a new platform that they can develop new technology for (it's a good market to get into) and at the same time, they don't have to feel compelled to make a huge game that has to stand up to their console efforts.

I should have mentioned in my other post, I don't really care about a new jazz game, and probably won't play it if it's on the iphone. I just think it's a good platform for epic to get into, business wise, and a property like jazz jackrabbit would be a good choice to use for a game on it.

Weird side note: of the major companies that have released new games on XBLA, most of them seem to be Japanese (eg konami, square-enix). The really big american companies seem to prefer to release their games on disc, except for a couple of shovelware pieces from companies that are already known for that kind of stuff.

Quote:
The main audience for a Jazz Jackrabbit game will be older gamers with nostalgia, I can't think of a better way to turn a good chunk of them off then by saying "And you use a touch screen to play it!". Most people do not like touch controls for a good number of genres, and the ones that typically do that Jazz would fit into would probably disappoint many people.
I don't like touch screens either, but I think games using them can still make money. Granted, they won't control as well as on the a console, but I honestly doubt we'll ever see epic develop a downloadable game for consoles. They just don't seem like a company *interested* in doing that (and nothing they've done in the last 10 years suggests they would). One thing that is possible is for them to is let some other company develop it, like they did for that GBA Jazz game, but that's a different situation (and a more hopeful one if you want a 2d platformer).

Last edited by EvilMike; Dec 19, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
GoldRabbit

JCF Member

GoldRabbit is an asset to this forumGoldRabbit is an asset to this forum

Dec 19, 2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPX View Post
... what.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Nintendo fanboy and I like the GBA a lot. I admit, I let my personal opinion drip into that post, but let's face the facts: overall, JJA was of a worse quality than it's predecessors. I think that if they were to develop it on the PC things would've been different.

The GBA had more limited graphics than the PC, and the controls were, in my opinion, bulkier. What I'm saying is that the GBA limited the game more than it should've been by the fact that it wasn't first party.

I chose my words wrong when I said that, but the bottom line is: the hardware placed limits on JJA which hit it hard, both graphically and gameplay speaking. That, and the fact that it wasn't Epic that made it sealed its fate.

What does this have to do with JJ3/4/n+1? Well, I think that if Epic chooses to make it for the iPhone, the final result will be radically different from what we expect, just because of the hypothetical touch support (which is more like 110% confirmed). I can't deny that the iPhone has great graphics, so there should be no worries in that department. It's just the gameplay I'm worrying about.

Also, as a reply to EM's post. I think that more people would buy it if they actually put effort in it as they would for their main franchises. Epic demonstrated that they still care about the copyright, and a venture on the iWhatever platforms would be just too different, especially when the niche they're focusing on would be those accustomed to the older controls.

Not only that, but I hope they also know that Jazz should remain a sidescroller game, especially after the failure (hard word, I know) they had with JJ3. That way, they would also get on with the Retro fad that is currently going around, thus gaining even more players on a platform that rarely gets this kind of games nowadays.

Just my 2 cents at 1 am.
because everybody plays the game this way

saints especially
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Dec 19, 2010, 03:30 PM
JCF Drinking Game: Take one sip for every mention of Epic Games in a negative context. When you find a mention of Epic Games in a positive context, stop drinking because you're reading the wrong forum.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

Dec 19, 2010, 03:30 PM
The GBA had the right controls for JJ gameplay; it's the fact that GameTitan messed with the formula that screwed it up. Replace the carrot grenade with a run button and get rid of diagonal shooting and voila! In addition, while the GBA might not have been able to handle something like JJ2 properly, JJA isn't exactly pushing the system's boundaries; it could've looked a lot better.

That said, iPhones and iPads are about as suitable for gaming as this thing.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 19, 2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
JCF Drinking Game: Take one sip for every mention of Epic Games in a negative context. When you find a mention of Epic Games in a positive context, stop drinking because you're reading the wrong forum.
Just saying that Epic is probably not interested in making another Jazz Jackrabbit game right now isn't necessarily negative.
minmay

JCF Member

minmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesomeminmay is immeasurably awesome

Dec 19, 2010, 06:04 PM
it was an exaggeration for the purpose of comedy, geez

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Dec 19, 2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah but saying the general vibe is that Epic is the big bad here is just wrong.

JCF Member

Dec 19, 2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah I wasn't being negative. I think epic is one of the better developers out there, as sad as UT3 was.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Dec 20, 2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMike View Post
Yeah I wasn't being negative. I think epic is one of the better developers out there, as sad as UT3 was.
And even that is arguable. I'm still a pretty active UT3 player, while I moved on from the Xbox 360 version to the PC version due to the poor support and activity on the X360 version. That's not Epic's problem btw, they tried to deal with MS to support community created maps as DLC regularly, yet those ideas failed to pass MS' strict DLC guidelines. Just like Epic always prefered free DLC and 'bonus packs' while MS fought them back on that too.. Oh well, the PC version is still doing fine (not as good as UT99/2004 that is).

JCF Member

SpyroTheDragon is doing well so far

Jan 7, 2011, 03:01 PM
Lets hope they have something in store for this Year of the Rabbit.

JCF Member

Hare has disabled reputation

Jan 19, 2011, 03:07 AM
Cliffy B. via twitter. (Jan 16)
Quote:
Someone needs to do a reboot of "Redneck Rampage" STAT.
I wonder what other properties are due for a reboot...

"Okay. I'm Understand" - burnout92
JeremyHDragon

JCF Member

JeremyHDragon is doing well so far

Feb 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
Im very excited for a new Jazz Jackrabbit game.

JCF Member

SpyroTheDragon is doing well so far

Feb 22, 2011, 06:05 PM
For a moment I expected a new Jazz game before a new Spyro game. But then Friday was a little "spyroey" and "dragony" and I am skeptical (yet optimistic) about the future of either series.