Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

CustomJazz, a program which downloads and installs levels automatically!

Bas

JCF Member

Bas is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2006, 07:11 AM
Thumbs down CustomJazz, a program which downloads and installs levels automatically!

I have created a program, or better said, a installer, which downloads levels, and installs them to a given directory.

Things I need:
- People who test this
- People with suggestions for levels to be added.

Please don't flame me about this, it's was a idea which came to my brains while bathing...

Download: http://bs2.dyndns.tv/jazzdownload/CustomJazz.exe

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2006, 07:55 AM
So it's a program that connects to J2O and lets you download levels? Or is it a program that downloads levels when playing online and stores them in your Jazz 2 folder?

JCF Member

Bas is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2006, 08:02 AM
It is just an install wizard, which has some levels pre-selected in categories, which connects to J2O, and downloads them. Currently the categories are just types, but maybe, there will come more pre-selections.

JCF Member

Xobim is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2006, 08:27 AM
I think unzipping is still handier....
However, the program could be used to search J2O for tilesets so they won't have to be included in the zip archives...

JCF Member

Bas is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2006, 08:34 AM
It downloads zips, and unzips them I could maybe make a category which downloads popular tilesets automatically. :P
BattleSpaz

JCF Member

BattleSpaz is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2006, 09:43 AM
Well this would be good program for lazy people noobs new people on jazz! (and also for me, as im too lazy to check J2O every day.
Bas

JCF Member

Bas is doing well so far

Jan 4, 2006, 09:55 AM
What will the next version have?

- A better UI
- More levels selected, and I mean GOOD levels.
- Source code
- Your level suggestions!

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Jan 4, 2006, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure what the J2O staff's position on this is/will be but it seems it at least would have been appropiate to involve them (us) into the project when you make programs that use their (our) site storage space and bandwith in such a way (and not giving any credit in the file). Essentially you're building your program onto our paid for bandwith and space (paid for by Bobby + generous donators), while circumventing the site framework we've built (with the possibility to review downloads, for example).

I'm not saying it's disallowed here, or allowed, or that you should kill the program. I do not know what our position is, and I'm myself not particularly bothered by this. But the way you went about this seems not right. Just throwing it up for your consideration.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

BattleSpaz

JCF Member

BattleSpaz is doing well so far

Jan 5, 2006, 02:21 AM
Well, Fquist got the point. Bandwith costs.
If you pay for your own server for this program (What I think you won't), its ok.
So, I think you should email to site administrator right away, and ask permission to use his bandwith..

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Jan 5, 2006, 02:45 AM
The bandwith used would be almost identical to a person downloading the levels manually, wouldn't it? But I think that the program should check for levels already there, and then allow users to choose which levels to install, to make it more "custom."
Bas

JCF Member

Bas is doing well so far

Jan 5, 2006, 04:28 AM
The only existence check I can do is OverwriteOptions ifnewer, or ifdiff. The next version will have everything hosted on my nice server... Hey, I got that server for free!

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jan 7, 2006, 02:33 AM
It's a cool idea, but I guess it would be even cooler if you could browse while J2O (as long as the staff allows it) instead of having to choose from a predefined list of levels.