Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

B.net-like ladder system?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 3, 2007, 10:00 AM
That's not true.

However, it is indeed true that a lot of people play JJ2 without ever coming here. With a bit of mouth-to-mouth advertising (hey, it's how J2O became popular) it won't be hard to let them know of the ladder.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Mar 3, 2007, 10:07 AM
Cups are MUCH more differently then ladders (and much more competitive). For ladders a huge AND active userbase is a required piece of work. Jazz Jackrabbit fails in both.

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends

JCF Member

Michael is doing well so far

Mar 3, 2007, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
I fully understand peoples feelings inregards to ladders and stats, I myself when playing on Xbox Live tend not to play in Ranked Servers as I find its too competetive and more about points than fun.

Then again you see I have a choice, I dont have to play Ranked Games, and it would be the same if Reptile ever managed to actually pull this off in JJ2, people could easily ignore his system and play online using the old fashioned way for fun if they so wished. So to be perfectly fair, there is no reason to even mention about not liking stats, its simple, don't play on his system when it comes out.
Then the community will be split, that's ever worse.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Mar 3, 2007, 01:05 PM
we have a split community already (1.23/1.24) so then we'll have four communities

I'd suggest making a three-month poll to see how many people are interested in playing this ladder system, how many are interested in watching others playing and how many are not interested at all and will just ignore the system. And maybe another poll too just to see how long people think it will be alive.

Check for people who will use your product first, else it will fail for sure.

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

Mar 3, 2007, 01:16 PM
no

JCF Member

Sasik is doing well so far

Mar 3, 2007, 01:34 PM
Well, whatever? If R3p and few other motivated people want to run this ladder, then why not? Will you forbid them that? ;P How? ;p
Just give it a try, I don't think we can lose anything, and the idea is great. And yes, it's likely that there might occur problems with the activity but we won't know that untill the ladder starts.

JCF Member

Xplosive is notorious for his worthless posts

Mar 3, 2007, 02:51 PM
After reading all the post I came with a conclusion that this might not be a good idea, jerrys point mostly became intresting , there isn't much people who play jj2 , and as it seems half the people at the moment don't seem to like the idea , it will split the community.

I just think there isn't much people to apply for this ladder , and if they do it will split the community up a bit. so In coclusion i don't think this is a good idea.

But im just one person with my own opinion

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Mar 3, 2007, 03:29 PM
This community is barely ever supportive of initiatives like this. Everyone's always like "you won't get enough people anyway", "why bother, this game is dead", et cetera. If Reptile wants to set this up what's wrong with that? Can't you just wait and see whether it works before judging it? Why would it split the community anyway? It's not like people who join the ladder will suddenly refuse to talk to people who don't or something.

People need to be a bit more open-minded here.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Mar 3, 2007, 05:21 PM
stijn, this has nothing to do with being openminded at all. I don't get it why your so optimistic and closed minded about this situation. This is being about being realistic. I Still haven't seen a solid reason here why it should work, why should people invest expansive time to make this a succes if all basics of an active ladder has been cursed away in JJ2 before it even started?

Yes, JDC works. But JDC is not a ladder but more league and is seasonal based.

So as ive said before, don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of competitive gaming in any type of game, but this seriously can't work.. the 2 basic needs of a ladder is.. active + the massive.. Jj2 misses both. A working ladder needs atleast 50 solid teams/players to make it work. How-ever, it still doesn't mean it couldn't die off over time.

What i know from experiance is that ladders are the least favorite competitive gaming tournament there is. There is a great list of reasons why people start to dislike ladders and prefer Cups or Leagues.

Mystic Legends

Last edited by ShadowGPW; Mar 3, 2007 at 05:42 PM.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Mar 3, 2007, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
This community is barely ever supportive of initiatives like this. Everyone's always like "you won't get enough people anyway", "why bother, this game is dead", et cetera. If Reptile wants to set this up what's wrong with that? .
What's wrong is that this community is barely ever supportive of initiatives like this. And such initiatives run on community participation.
FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

Mar 3, 2007, 07:19 PM
I spoke with R3ptile recently and suggested he should try working in small steps; to get something basic released first and see how the community reacts, and if it's a success then there is no reason not to add more updates and get something like battle.net.

After all, we lose nothing even if it fails.
R3ptile

Banned

Mar 4, 2007, 02:42 AM
those who seem worried about activity the most don't play jj2 a lot. there are many jj2 players these days, it's just that very, very few of them visit the JCF regulary. i do my best to keep them informed about the ladder project all the time and they all seem very eager.

the community would not split, the program could not let it happen.

cheer up
Xplosive

JCF Member

Xplosive is notorious for his worthless posts

Mar 4, 2007, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
This community is barely ever supportive of initiatives like this. Everyone's always like "you won't get enough people anyway", "why bother, this game is dead", et cetera. If Reptile wants to set this up what's wrong with that? Can't you just wait and see whether it works before judging it? Why would it split the community anyway? It's not like people who join the ladder will suddenly refuse to talk to people who don't or something.

People need to be a bit more open-minded here.

I think your a little confused on what I mean , by splitting the community up I mean slitting them up on online play , also its not good when hard work goes to waste , thats why some people don't want r3p and others to waste there time.
I was just saying what I think , it might be a good idea after all.

n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Mar 4, 2007, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGPW View Post
You seriously think people will keep on playing against you after you crushed them 5 times in a row? Especially if you want to make it to 500 within 2 months. I seriously doubt you will make it to 500 in that short period of time. You can bet on that.
You're acting like theres only two people playing a day, have you honestly played the game since the list server redirect?

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Mar 4, 2007, 02:35 PM
He has.

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Mar 4, 2007, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGPW
stijn, this has nothing to do with being openminded at all. I don't get it why your so optimistic and closed minded about this situation. This is being about being realistic. I Still haven't seen a solid reason here why it should work, why should people invest expansive time to make this a succes if all basics of an active ladder has been cursed away in JJ2 before it even started?
Okay, I'm extremely pessimistic, but what you said doesn't make sense to me. Are you investing any time? Will it HARM you if this doesn't work? If someone wants to set it up, let them. Personally, I don't see why you would bother getting yourself involved in something that won't affect you unless you want it to.

Go B.net-like ladder system! I might actually go online if this happens.

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

Super Moderator

Mar 5, 2007, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
You're acting like theres only two people playing a day, have you honestly played the game since the list server redirect?
I do, more as you think and are able see. Don't start up conclusions about me if you don't know me at all.

I'm only giving my advice here from what I know and from what my experiance is with other games out there. Trust me, my experiance with online tournaments/cups/ladders, I sincerly know what i'm talking about. Perhaps more then anyone else here.

How-ever Ill also give some value advice if the project does get on the roll. Unless people want to figure some of the traps you will encounter them-selfs.You can easly flame me about it and slash me off (Thats the easy road on the net). But you could also take my words as a learning curve what to do with it to prevent one of those problems and actually think about it.

Mystic Legends

Last edited by ShadowGPW; Mar 5, 2007 at 08:44 AM.

JCF Member

MoonBlazE is an asset to this forum

Mar 7, 2007, 03:16 AM
Shadow, you're 23. Surely you'd prefer to see a ladder that is actually a ladder. These guys don't. They're kids. It's a children's game. What they want from it is just a few scores to have something to brag of. It's motivative. On the WC3 ladder, you'd be something like 1964th even as a good player. On a JJ2 ladder you'd be 13th. It's not supposed to work (the same way), it's just supposed to be fun.

Rep also (tried) approaching me on regards of drawing icons. I'm not doing anything until I see a working system, and by then maybe just a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguise View Post
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!
R3ptile

Banned

Mar 7, 2007, 05:39 AM
first of all most JJ2 players are not kids. secondly this ladder will indeed be a ladder and it would work almost the same way. there is a small difference that in WC3 a few people also play for money. jj2's population might be smaller but this has its own advantages as well. i still think you could find at least five opponents in your level at any time. also, you seem to miss the whole purpose here. if we just wanted something to brag of, we could stick to JDC where it's way easier to win. you barely have anything to brag of when it comes to jj2, it's not like your girlfriend would be more proud of you if you would tell her that you beat Cracco Clan in a duel.

by the way, i don't think a WC3 player ranked 13th would consider a player ranked 1964th "good". that's the way it works in jj2 as well.

Last edited by R3ptile; Mar 7, 2007 at 06:30 AM.
ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2007, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ptile
by the way, i don't think a WC3 player ranked 13th would consider a player ranked 1964th "good". that's the way it works in jj2 as well.
Yeah, but the ratios and fractions are mixed up. Number 13/2000 might say that number 1964 sucks, but saying that when you are 13/2,000,000 to 1964/2,000,000 wouldn't be right. You're directly comparing apples to oranges. They're 2 different things.

And next time, I'll explain about trigonometry.

R3ptile

Banned

Mar 7, 2007, 03:21 PM
dude your post doesn't make much sense but k

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2007, 03:47 PM
Just because WC3 has a bigger userbase, it doesn't mean their top players have taken the game closer to the limit than us jj2ers. A ladder can be fun even without a 20000000 noobs like MoonB..I mean noone in specific.. running around accomplishing nothing.

JCF Member

Mar 7, 2007, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ptile View Post
first of all most JJ2 players are not kids. secondly this ladder will indeed be a ladder and it would work almost the same way. there is a small difference that in WC3 a few people also play for money. jj2's population might be smaller but this has its own advantages as well. i still think you could find at least five opponents in your level at any time. also, you seem to miss the whole purpose here. if we just wanted something to brag of, we could stick to JDC where it's way easier to win. you barely have anything to brag of when it comes to jj2, it's not like your girlfriend would be more proud of you if you would tell her that you beat Cracco Clan in a duel.
In my eyes, most of the players on JJ2 are kids or at least behave like it. That's only offensive if you find being called a kid one. You may be surprised how many people that share that vision.

As for how far the ladder goes, nowhere without the support. I think it's a good idea. Not everyone thinks the same. Only few is supporting you so far. Be more open minded in regards to critique and you might get it going.

What Shadow says about the ladder system comparison is true, we can't make matching system based on levels at all and chances of it filling more than 1 page of players aren't that big.

Also, a ladder without matching systems or prize money is the same as a permanent JCF scoreboard as we're not going to be able to edit the way players join an online game.

Quote:
And in response to this, I do hope you realize climbing a ladder isn't just about being good it's also about how much time you have to play games.

Quote:
*sings*
YOU AND ME BABY ARE NOTHING BUT MAMMALS LA LA LALAL LA LA ON THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL!!!
R3ptile

Banned

Mar 9, 2007, 02:20 AM
look man, it's obvious you are here just to find something to complain about. have you played jj2 during the last year that you pretend you care? you barely know about the situation. you also make it sound like your false statemens are facts.

see ya in 4 months, then we'll see how this project has turned out.

JCF Member

Mar 9, 2007, 03:40 AM
Quote:
look man, it's obvious you are here just to find something to complain about. have you played jj2 during the last year that you pretend you care? you barely know about the situation. you also make it sound like your false statemens are facts.

see ya in 4 months, then we'll see how this project has turned out.
If you stopped being so annoying and rude all the time people might just support it a little. I'm not complaining. I do care. But I will certainly stop trying to reason with you now.

Have fun running a community project with the community you neglect.

Quote:
*sings*
R3ptile

Banned

Mar 9, 2007, 03:45 AM
oh, so you could have just posted "i hate u" and avoid all of this from the beginning

and btw, everyone except for two or three who don't even play jj2 support me and this concept completely

Last edited by R3ptile; Mar 9, 2007 at 03:57 AM.

JCF Member

Mar 9, 2007, 03:49 AM
Kids play jj2. REAL MEN PLAY WC3!!!!!

Banned

Mar 9, 2007, 03:52 AM
seriously though, this guy keeps talking about the "maturity of the community" (huh?) but just look at his whole attitude, does it seem mature? not to mention the very maturity of the WC3 players as someone who's played the game for a while.

Administrator

Mar 9, 2007, 03:56 AM
Your attitude is not very mature either.

JCF Member

Mar 9, 2007, 03:57 AM
btw, changing how players join the game is not impossible

Banned

Mar 9, 2007, 04:03 AM
as i said, gry:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3p
you make it sound like your false statemens are facts
Old Mar 9, 2007, 04:18 AM
MoonBlazE
This message has been deleted by FQuist. Reason: Flame tag-ish. Posting images of people like that will get this further out of hand

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Mar 9, 2007, 04:22 AM
R3ptile, this is a discussion forum. If you're just going to reply the equivalent of "you suck" to every poster who disagrees with you, whether their points are valid or not, you're not posting in the spirit of this forum. Please stop attacking anyone who replies, since it's getting close to trolling. You don't have to agree with them - or even respond. But your current method of discussion is unwarranted and you will find further posts like that moderated.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Mar 9, 2007, 04:37 AM
personally i think that this concept is really nice, if it works

so lets see what happens

JCF Member

Mar 9, 2007, 05:02 AM
I dunno... I think the community is quite mature, but the people who play JJ2? A lot probably aren't on the forums. Oh well. I might be able to help for a web-page, but that's all.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Mar 9, 2007, 05:15 AM
I could help shouting "everyone should try it"

now just go and make that system, I started to become curious what it will be like ;p

Banned

Mar 9, 2007, 05:29 AM
if you're so eager to help you could try and find a person who'd program this
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Mar 9, 2007, 05:34 AM
wasn't there already a programmer?

Banned

Mar 9, 2007, 05:36 AM
i'm not sure, let's just wait for Mono's final statement

JCF Member

Mar 9, 2007, 12:10 PM
I've been looking for ages for a programmer too so don't expect me to find one
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:20 AM
R3ptile
This message has been deleted by R3ptile.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:35 AM
R3ptile
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: spam
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:04 AM
R3ptile
This message has been deleted by R3ptile. Reason: spam