Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

An entry into a new forum, a new user's debut

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

Nov 30, 2005, 04:18 PM
omg, proudly got the 10,000th view of this topic!

Oh, and pageclaim in the name of FOO PRODUCTS.
sickn3ss

JCF Member

sickn3ss is doing well so far

Dec 12, 2005, 07:54 AM
I've played the alpha of this and its horrible thats probly why they abbandoned it. Since it uses the Unreal Tournament Engine, why doesnt someone make a mod for UT about Jazz Jackrabbit. They could get the models from the Alpha for a start.

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Dec 12, 2005, 07:56 AM
If you're talking about JJ3, that's not what this is. It's running on its own engine and it's just on hiatus, not abandoned. It's a remake of JJ2. Just in 3D.
R3ptile

Banned

R3ptile is doing well so far

Dec 12, 2005, 08:11 AM
Now go back to CS.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Dec 12, 2005, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickn3ss
I've played the alpha of this and its horrible thats probly why they abbandoned it.
No research done before posting!
Quote:
Since it uses the Unreal Tournament Engine, why doesnt someone make a mod for UT about Jazz Jackrabbit.
Quote:
They could get the models from the Alpha for a start.

Last edited by Violet CLM; Feb 11, 2006 at 05:39 PM.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Dec 12, 2005, 01:31 PM
OH SNAP

OH SNAP

OH SNAP

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Dec 13, 2005, 09:14 AM
OH SNAP

Is this alfa stuff out then? I dont see a link anywhere on this thread...:S

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 12:52 PM
I haven't been up to date (and your website doesn't work as far as I know) Baggers, so... how's everything going? I've got another suggestion to the game! No game is good without...

0< DUCKMAN!!!
/|\
/ \

No, but seriously, I was thinking about the glue globber and decided that it should run off slopes. Now if this isn't possible, here's the next best thing: If an enemy doesn't get out in time, he can't move! And can never escape! Unless he's a stupid lagger who uses way-too-good graphic and lags the system untill we get caught in it. And then he kills us all. Do you like the idea?

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

piet is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 12:54 PM
baggers site is online now,
sorry seems like everytime i shut down my webserver you all want to check for updates :P

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Dec 13, 2005, 03:58 PM
Now everything makes sense.

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch
AMT

JCF Member

AMT is doing well so far

Feb 11, 2006, 01:01 AM
Unseenconcept.net doesnt work.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Feb 11, 2006, 02:44 AM
hehe, did this die? that was a revival, thanks AMT! Good job! Now, lets get Baggers to post here again and everything's back fine

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Feb 11, 2006, 06:53 AM
If anyone actually checked his site, you would have known this was in fact alive.
This isn't the official news center for his project.

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Feb 11, 2006, 07:58 AM
Hehe jesus I need to get a mod to lock this !
As n00b says I am still alive and there is a website for tracking my progress but it is down while piet is repairing it.

I was hoping this would drift off the page so I could start a new one in a month or two but what the hell heres an update.

* New Physics engine: Jazz3D has new physics driven by the brilliant Newton engine, great stuff and has made collision and things such as falling boulders etc a doddle !

* Gun Editor: Is now working like a dream. You can customise:
The bullet object, the sounds used, speed, damage, whether it is affected by gravity, whether it bounces and how much, fire rate, how much fire rate increases with each fast fire pickup, the particle effects use by the weapons, the accuracy of the shots, the angle bullets leave the weapon, what the ammo object looks like how much ammo is gained with each pickup....and a few other bits I forget ! Basically a fair bit o stuff, the only thing I need to do really is complete the particle weapons bit (for things like the flamethrower).

* Object Editor: Just like for weapons you can create and save you own objects for use in the game. This editor covers the lot, I am just completing that now (I had a few simple errors with saving destructible walls and a graphical error in the script loading part (There is a class of objects called pickups and effector objects: Effector objects do an acton when you make contact with them and remain there afterwards [eg. the trampoline] and pickups dissapear after use [eg fast fire]. These are all powered with scripts, so you select the job you want the object to do and the default values and they are saved with the object)

* Level Editor: This is being remade totaly to accomadate the complete rewrite of everything else, its much simpler that before as, for example, you can load any entity into the level with a single interface. The editor just check the type of object you are loading and sets everything else for you based on the default values from the object editor. Of course you can modify these value from within the level editor also.
I'm not going to ramble about the editor yet as thigns will change as it's built so the really cool features could be yet to come.

* JazzCore: Obviously at the centre of all this is JazzCore. You only have to download this once...it is always the correct version. This is thanks to the marvel that is self updating. In one of the menus the program will check the Jazz3D servers for any updates and when you click download will retirve them and install them for you. Even JazzCore itself auto updates, so there is no excuse for missing out on features. Its the place you will go to download mods (any user can upload their favourite creation [whether it be level or object] to our servers and, once checked by a mod, will be available to all the other users. And finally it is also the place where you can start online games either down a network or over the web, its up to you !

Ok hopefully that will scratch that itch for now.
Any questions ?

p.s. AMT (-) your on the mark arnt you !...only been off for about 4 months now!

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 11, 2006 at 08:31 AM.

JCF Member

Feb 11, 2006, 11:39 PM
does the new level editor work for me too? XD wait.. ill try jazzcore again... lets see if its up already.

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2006, 12:16 AM
Okidokey...lets get this very clear.
THIS ISNT READY !

Your old JazzCore is now out of date. It will have to be replacedwhen the new version comes out, it works completely differently, off completely new servers and is a hell of a lot better!

As for the Level editor, that is out of date too...hell all the old files are out of date, I had a complete rewrite and so nothing is the same as it was. I have just been awake for the last 20 hours (save for a 5 hour nap) writing the level editor which is coming along nicely.

I'll let you know when to try JazzCore but that WONT be for a few months yet.

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2006, 06:33 AM
Hokay folks, I wetted the appetite so I best deliver somthing.
After a solid night and days coding (I'm dead appart from the coffee in my veins) I have made huge steps in production. I cant belive it was only yesterday I was taling about the level editor in the future tense...It's now a fair way into production.
Heres a pic:

Ok so what do we have here then?
Well for a start a .x object we are using as the terrain (or in this case room) loaded in...this took 4 mouse clicks to achieve.

Next we have an open dialog box...this is used to add objects to crates, in this instance I have put a banana inside so Its showing part of the filename of that. You can have up to 12 objects in each crate.
You will also note that the crate is selected. We can tell this due to the faint greay box surrounding it.

The Menu Bar up top has had a big workover. There is now one single button for loading all of the objects that can be in a Jazz level. When an object is selected the editor checks the type of object and customises the menu to it. So at themo the third button in is 'Set Contents'...when there is no object selected this button becomes the 'Level Options menu' where you can add terrain, control the lighting and set the level music. If it were a platform the button would be for customising the 'arm' and so on.

The appearance is where you go to change the positioning or rotation (and occasionaly scale) of an object.

You also can see there are three types of object in this scene, these were all made in the object editor in minutes. From setting values for scripts to chosing the object used, it is all handled through a familar interface.

Okidokey, best be off for a bit...may have a we crack at the part of the editor whch allows script customising...or i may go home !
Goodnight !

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2006, 12:03 PM
whee get that site and jazzcore and the lev editor ready! whats the red ball? still a spaz? what does it do in the editor then?

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Feb 12, 2006, 12:15 PM
I think it's the Spaz Placeholder. In the editor it more than likely works as a 'Spaz Starting Point'.

Just felt like pointing out the obivous assumptions.

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2006, 07:48 PM
hehe the red "ball" is my crappy trampoline model !
as in:

Spaz and Jazz start points are set using triggers.
1) Open trigger menu
2) Add Jazz-Start script
3) Click 'Ok' and place the trigger

Anyhoo now Ive done this huge boost I'll be taking things a little slower this week so dont expect a huge jump like this tommorow !
Seeya guys

JCF Member

Feb 12, 2006, 08:47 PM
Anyhoo another wee piccy for you as I was just testing the editor to see how things were going.

...so yeah not looking too bad!...got load of little bugs in it still so I'll be squashing them over the coming weeks too.
bye

p.s. oh yeah this level took about 3 mins to make using the editor! just load 'em and paste 'em !

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Feb 12, 2006, 09:47 PM
Cooooooooool. ^^

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Feb 12, 2006, 10:15 PM
Ooooh, nice. :]

JCF Member

Bas is doing well so far

Feb 13, 2006, 04:08 AM
Looks really cool!

I also have some questions.

1. Will this be able to run in windowed mode, because my computer does not like resolution changes?
2. Between which rough dates will a new demo/beta/release be released?
3. Will my GeForce4 MX 460 with 64 MB be able to run this with 640x480 resolution?

Maybe those are asked earlier, but I could not find any answers.

Greets,

Bas

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks people !

Bas: Well the editors and Jazz core run in windows. The game itself does not but I'll try and remember to put in an option so that it does. The game also will run in any resolution from 640x480 up to 1280x960..though I dont recomend the top one unless you have a (-) powerful machine.
The game NEEDS directX 9.c installed though does not require a card that FULLY supports it ! (obviously)....So as for your graphics card, I cant see why not...we will have to test though !

As for dates of release, I dont do em....for the simple reason that stuff happens and I hate dissapointing people.

I look forward to you testing !

All: Ok people squashed a nice round 20 bugs today.
Pressing control when placing objects lets you place multiple of that object in one go so no more tedious repeating the act of, going back to open object, selecting it and saying load.
The delete key now deletes the selected object.
All scripted objects can have their details modified correctly now...they wernt saving properly before.

Should be able to squash the last of the big bugs tommorow and then focus on making more !
I have to put in the particle system (ugh that'll be hard), Triggers (maybe a little tricky) and waypoints (which whouldnt be too bad)
This'll still take me the best part of a week or two though....and then saving and loading, which is a bizitch at the best of times.

Ah well, I have a lesson to teach, good-bye

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Feb 13, 2006, 09:56 AM
How was your teaching btw? I am abit late, I know. But time passes so fast... :]

JCF Member

Feb 13, 2006, 11:05 AM
hmm sounds k.. nice bouncer! my new Acer Aspire T51-J9Z with great AMT Athlon 64 processor and ATI Radeon X550 graphcard can have some more work than the prev pc.. so I hope ill be able to play it!

JCF Member

Feb 17, 2006, 04:05 AM
Teaching was fine, same old !...their doing well so it's ok...felt I'll the last few days which didnt make teaching an easier !

Ok update:
Triggers menu working: They are placacle, values can be edited, and the effects can be attached to objects (I.e. one trigger is used to release a boulder, so the tigger has to be attached to the boulder)

Waypoints menu: almost working, been a hell of a job...mainly getting the fonts working (thanks to everyone doing the ripping and extracting, thanks to you we have fonts in the editor and game now

Main menu for the actual game has fonts now...it looks sweet ! it's a slightly 3D variation of the main menu from the original (though more the OEM original than the final release)

Ok best be off...got some bugs to kill !

JCF Member

UNKNOWNFILE is doing well so far

Feb 17, 2006, 07:39 AM
Where's the website for this again?

PS: Unreal > JJ2.

JCF Member

Feb 17, 2006, 08:12 AM
http://www.eckhart.da.ru/baggers/

Just like it says in the signature.

JCF Member

Feb 17, 2006, 09:07 AM
'Click the Sig to go to the Jazz3D fangames Site' doesnt say WHAT is the site's address. I wonder why I cant click the sig too, btw

JCF Member

Feb 17, 2006, 09:22 AM
Sig has been down since my servers were...its been ages now.
It's going to be one of the things that delays the release of Jazz, namely that I can't really upload all the stuff from here as it will eat our internet cafe's monthly bandwidth quota too much and my boss will eat me.
So it's likely to be a pack everything on a cd and post it to someone who can upload it for me. Hopefully the guy who owns the new server (that being JonnyRee for those who remember earlierin the thread, for those who dont, he is my partner in this biz of programming)

Anyhoo, managed to squash a few bugs and make a few more...the waypoint system is nearly done and triggers are now a little neater than before.

Righto, classes are finished, work is over, samosas are bought and we are having a movie night here at the 'caff' so I be off,
Goodnight guys !

JCF Member

Feb 17, 2006, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest
'Click the Sig to go to the Jazz3D fangames Site' doesnt say WHAT is the site's address. I wonder why I cant click the sig too, btw
Probably because I was on IE at the time and IE shows images weither they exist or not, unlike Firefox.

JCF Member

Feb 18, 2006, 12:45 AM
hmm shame on you IE sux cant he just host it on imageshack?

JCF Member

Feb 18, 2006, 04:18 AM
Can do...kinda pointless as the site is down, but what the hey !

Before I do that, I'll just give a wee update.

Waypoints working swimmingly now, can be placed, moved, attached to the respective objects, all seems fine. Only thing I'd like to add is to have each path's nodes a different colour so that they are easily distinguisable...oh and crap I forgot to get the hide path option working, just writing that o nthe to-do list now.

Triggers neatened up a big, couple of bugs squashed...may have a jump to attached object option....shall see soon, it's a fair bit of legwork.

Particle system is next...I'm dreading this...this always turns out to be the hard one and I'm sure this will be no exception...wish me luck. After that I have only destructable walls(pondering the best way to do this) and saving & loading (both of which are huge undertakings)...after that this baby is ready to ship !

Then I'll be neatening up the object editor...still a fair few bugs to be quelled in there and have to finish the weapons editor. I also need a way of making enemies...at the moment their having to be hand coded in as the AI editor is going to be a heck of a project in itself.

Well no slacking I guess, back to work !

JCF Member

Bas is doing well so far

Feb 18, 2006, 04:59 AM
W00t, good to hear that there are only a few large things left! How long will it at least take to the first release? 1 month? 2 months? Or maybe 3 months?

JCF Member

Feb 18, 2006, 05:16 AM
Well I wouldnt expect the level editor to take more than another week or two....fixing the object editor about a week max...the gun editor possibly two weeks if lots of thigs go wrong !... Once the level editor is done It will be alot easier to try things out in the game.
So we shall see...the AI has yet to be conquered so I dont know the timeframe for that yet.

JCF Member

Feb 18, 2006, 07:16 AM
Got bored working on the Level editor so started fixing the Object Editor....all seems to be well !...tis amazing !
Anyhoo this screen won't convey too much to you but just to show that the program is working and the style of it.

(This is the pickup menu the the way)

I'll try and explain it though:

OK so from the top we have name, where we specify the name of the object.

We have the set object button which if we press it allows us to choose the .x model we use for the object (the program will try and retrieve the textures for this)

The preview window simply shows the object we are planning to use.

The animation section allows you to specify how the object is animated. At the moment it is set to use its own animation but if you click 'Custom Animation' you can specify the motion it makes.

Below are the list of scripts. This is where you choose the actual action of your object. I have selected 'Add points' as this is all that pears did in the original..but you could easily set it to give jazz health, to detonate and object, to make a mushroom dance...its up to you !

Then we have where we specify the values for the script we chose. In this case there is only one but often there are multiple entries.

Then the save button which compiles the object into the correct format.

Tada 2 minutes work max results in a object I can now load straight into the level editor !

Hope you like...any crits or questions, fire away !

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 19, 2006, 08:20 AM
Awesome! Will it be possible to attach several actions to an object?