Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

An entry into a new forum, a new user's debut

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Feb 19, 2006, 08:59 AM
Easy as pie !... An object can only have one path but it can have multiple triggers attached to it.
Oh and each trigger can perform up to 8 actions...you just add them in a list e.g.
http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/9...iggers12sl.jpg

Wee update..realised I hadnt made the editor allow you to create shootable walls which take multiple shots to destroy. This has been nearly been rectified in the editor so when it is I will fix it in the level editor also. Not tonight though as it my mates bday party, and 6 pints doesnt help the coding...so I'm probably going to go for a few more.
ta-ta

JCF Member

Feb 19, 2006, 10:02 AM
Ah I see what you mean, as in a single object can have multiple functions...in that case no...but I will be releasing loads of different scripts so I'll let people request them.

JCF Member

Bas is doing well so far

Feb 19, 2006, 10:59 AM
You could maybe put some in-game-newity screenshots, including some other in-game shots, because my smaller brother keeps asking about them, as I told him about this project...

EDIT: Nobody did this, so: Pageclaim in the name of screenshots...

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Feb 19, 2006, 12:10 PM
why not in the name of me? well, baggie, dont get caught for drunk driving and happy coding tomorrow

JCF Member

Feb 19, 2006, 08:21 PM
Jerry: Sober again now... thanks for the advice !

Bas: say sorry to your Bro but it's a bit pointless at the mo as only the main menu is working again. hehe don't worry I haven't broken this baby badly I best explain.

* I needed to learn newton so I knocked together the engine and manually loaded the level and such to test it all out. Was very pleased with the results.

* I set about re-writing every kind of editor, so when functioning it means all the levels and objects have their own formats.

* I haven't told the game part how to read these formats yet ! So my game doesn't know how to load the levels and thus only the main menu is still functioning properly.

don't fret though, when it comes to it, it should be a doddle to make the game understand, and then the engine will do the rest!
So yeah tell your bro to be patient, be sure as soon as I can I will get the screens for him. It's also great to know there are more fans than just the ones on the forums waiting for this.

Righto, class is starting again soon, better get my teacher persona on !

[Later that day...]
Ello again folks, yeah just been coding...man I hate writing menus for particle system, (-) tedious it is. Anyhoo its going Ok, Ive made all the menus but Ive still got alot of work to do on it...just needed a breif distraction !
Bye

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 20, 2006 at 03:40 AM.
Bas

JCF Member

Bas is doing well so far

Feb 20, 2006, 04:37 AM
*Get mad on himself as he wasn't aware of this topic when the demo was out, and unseenconcept.net was up*

Meh, I have nothing to do, and Jazz2 is boring, and the old demo of this is not working for the last few months, and can't be uploaded, I think, because one or more of the following reasons:

1) Baggers does not have that old demo (latest version from JazzUpdater) anymore.
2) Baggers does not have an good internet connection to upload it with.
3) It's too old, and will kill people...

But, when will a new site be up for your project? When the first release is out, or earlier?

Yes, I am kind of annoying, but I have nothing to do... *laughs*

JCF Member

Feb 20, 2006, 05:07 AM
Hehe no problem mate,at the moment I consider it enthusiasm !
* Yes I have the old demo...Its about 40cm away from me on a dvd.
* I have a terrible internet connection so will probably mail the finished product to my mate who owns a server.
* It is far too old, terrible (compartivly) physics and the level editor simply was not good enough.

The site will be back up when piet fixes it...he appears to be away at the mo. So yeah before the first release.

Even if I did have a good web connection I wouldnt be uploading yet...not till it's ready...it causes to many problems otherwise.

Slowly chugging away on the particle system....dull work but got to be done. Think the hardest bit may be over. Not sure yet.
Bye

JCF Member

Marijn is doing well so far

Feb 20, 2006, 10:07 AM
very good point! Release a *full demo, or else people will get dissapointed about it and loss fait.. to bad piet site is down.
n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Feb 20, 2006, 10:42 AM
Baggers said it'd be a month or two before it'd be good and ready for a demo

JCF Member

Feb 20, 2006, 10:44 AM
Holy carp !...Particle effects !

Well that got working unexpextedly quickly....now to bug fix it !....there plenty to do.
Righto I'm off...one step closer to release lalalala !

[Edit]
n00b: Indeed I did...and that was ready for a demo...not the demo was uploaded and ready to go...It all depends on the post...which is frightenly bad somtimes...worst my mate had out here was 4 years for a parcel....so pray folks !

[Edit again]
Ok, done enough for tonight...squashed a few small bugs and will concentrate on the last biggies tommorow. Then it's generaly testing and fixing for a while and making sure all objects I make in the editors work fine....and then save and load routines..ugh.

Hehe just realised that in the past 8 days I have writen just under 3000 lines of code for the level editor alone !

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 20, 2006 at 11:10 AM.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Feb 20, 2006, 11:26 PM
whow.. thats a lot!

JCF Member

Feb 20, 2006, 11:32 PM
Hehe yeah ! that's me pretty much doomed to arthritis!

Righto folks another picky for you as I'm enjoying having particles working. It may look a bit stupid in its current setting but if this were an underwater scene it would be awesome.

So yeah, still working on bugs...got one in the scaling system at the mo but I know exactly how to fix it and it will take about 5 mins....I can also see a potential bug in the trigger system so I'm going to hunt that down aswell.
Bye ! (for probably a few hours)

[EDIT]
Yup back again...every available and unavailable moment is going into this at the moment. Particles are now much more stable. I have found the expected bugs in the trigger system and fixed one..but the second is proving a little more arduous. Scaling bug fixed though it has made another one I havnt quite figured out yet.
Other than that I have the odd object not retaining it's texture when copied (though they are old and so I think it was their compiling that has beggered em up.
I have a selection bug when moving objects with arrow keys and not the mouse...
...and another scaling bug with particle sources...it's an odd one actualy I'm having difficulty finding it.

...Oh and a huge bug in the 'New Level' command...namely it crashes the editor...so that will probably need rewrite !

Once thats done I'll hunt some more...no doubt find some more bugs and then start the saving and loading routines....they will be hard me-thinks !
Ok, bye again

[EDIT]
Um...all the bugs are fixed.....now what am I gonna do with my free time ?

Well...could be time for the save rotuine then....this'll be interesting

Confused goodbye

[EDIT]
Was too good to be true...realised I havnt made the light settings window, options for making water, a way to set gravity and bouyency...also need a way of attaching sounds to events and objects...this one is for the object editor aswell.....AND THEN IT'S SAVE TIME !

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 21, 2006 at 05:31 AM.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Feb 22, 2006, 01:14 AM
I wish I could code a game that fast. O_O

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2006, 01:34 AM
Hehe..thanks...but today's work is going much slower...its a pain...I'm working on adding sounds to objects in the editors and it's proving very difficult....will keep you posted.

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2006, 05:48 AM
Weird...my edits arnt appearing so i'm going to make a new post.
Alrighty then, a bit has been happening today:
* One massive scare thanks to an IDE bug that nearly killed 4 days work....my new backing-up habit has finally paid off !
* Sounds have been introduced to the object and level editors. They seem to be working but while doing it I found silent bugs (ones that dotn give errors) in parts of the code I thought I had finished...so basically time will tell !
* The ambient light of the level can be controled via the level menu now also

So it's water and settings for gravity and such to do and then saving/loading...and then as long as nothing else appears we should be ready to complete the gun editor (big job) and make a load of scripts for the level editor (nice easy job) and some more objects and then get em all in the game engine for a demo...then we will be really cracking !

JCF Member

UNKNOWNFILE is doing well so far

Feb 22, 2006, 08:34 AM
The website is still not up. \o/

PS: Unreal > JJ2.

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2006, 10:07 AM
yea its taking so long!

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2006, 10:08 AM
Just a minute while I check round and see if I have a "Clever Boy" sticker for you.

Sarcasm aside..yeah i noticed.

p.s. what a brutal little post this was...please dont take it to heart.

JCF Veteran

Feb 22, 2006, 10:35 AM
Dear 80% of the people who've posted in this thread recently:
Please stop whining/asking for a demo/whatever. Baggers said he took the link out of his sig because Piet's server was down for upgrades. But you all complained about it. Baggers put it back, and now you complain to him that the site isn't up when you click the link in the sig despite the fact it's not his server. Am I the only one who sees the problem?
Signed,
n00b.

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2006, 12:21 PM
UF was first! UF was first! Dont point at me! It was UF!! lol

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2006, 01:02 PM
Hehe...thanks n00b !....I'm getting used to it now to be honest.
Well I dont have access to a computer that can run Jazz at the mo so I cant really code too much but I have been getting my head round some vector math that was confusing me...namely transforming vectors using matrices....DarkBasicPro has a system for handling this but it confused me so I wrote my own...anyone with DBPro can have it for free..its in the code snippets section of the game creators forum.
Holiday tommorow so hopefully get some good coding done...have to be careful about times I'm getting to sleep though as I overslept this morning and missed part of the lesson I was meant to be teaching, which is frankly terrible.
Anyhoo...back to about 15 mins coding and then to bed (which is a mile walk away..hohum)

JCF Member

Feb 22, 2006, 11:35 PM
ahhaha will they punish you for missing the first part of that lesson you had to teach?

JCF Member

Feb 23, 2006, 01:58 AM
It's not about what they think...its the fact you let them down as a teacher. Doesnt seem so bad when your in school but I feel it in a slightly different light now. It's not up to me to say "well I needed a lie in so it doesnt matter that it messed with your education...not to mention your hard earned cash" This is for thier livelyhoods..and especially in these kind of countries it seems very important.
But maybe it seems like I'm just warbling out my (-) so I'll stop now.

JCF Member

Feb 23, 2006, 07:55 AM
Progress !

Ok so lets look back and see what Ive done today.

* Armory now added...choose the 10 weapons available in your level.
* Fixed the matrix commands I made last night as they had mistakes in 'em.
* Water Placeholder is in...didnt both with any effects on it, it's just a blue box....effects will arrive i nthe actual game.
* Skyspheres or skycubes can be loaded in...they will be scaled automatically to fit the camera range.
* Visual tweaking to the triggers menu
* Bugs with the waypoint system fixed...no crashing from deleting nodes now !
* Bug with trigger sounds fixed
* Bug with entering text for triggers fixed
* Waypoint paths can be hidden to stop confusion between paths and also to reduce level clutter.

Things still to do
* Add gravity settings: Still mussing on the best way to do this.
* Sound Emmiting entities: A point in 3D space that emmits or loops a sound...should be easy to do.
* Big bug fix: These are mainly to make the program a little more idiot proof. there are loads of these kind of bugs so thats a good days work right there.
* Save and load functions: I started them but still a long way to go.

And so this post isnt all text, heres some piccies for you.

This one is of a rather large test level (people may remember it...also note I said test, dont go commenting on the texture or that you can spot holes....TEST LEVEL) Other than being large it has a nice sky !

This Picture is just of a load of things I very quickly bashed into a level in no particular order....just showing quite a bit of stuff can go in now !

Ok folks thats all for today...goodnight !

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 23, 2006 at 08:10 PM.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Feb 23, 2006, 08:42 AM
Interesting textures... Have you considered a Psych tileset?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 02:07 PM
REBECCASBACK
This message has been deleted by Link. Reason: Spam.

JCF Member

piet is doing well so far

Feb 23, 2006, 02:15 PM
sorry about the website still beeing down, my new internet connection will arive any day now. (i hope)

stupid ISPs it should be up and running by now.

oh and baggers im thinking about making a new layout for your site, not just the cheap Razz Arena ripoff.
i can use a few extra sharp renders of your Jazz Model for creating a neat header.

Last edited by piet; Feb 23, 2006 at 02:26 PM.
REBECCASBACK

Banned

REBECCASBACK is doing well so far

Feb 23, 2006, 02:26 PM
When can we expect the site to be back online and running? Could you please state a date and time thanks in advance

Rebecca

JCF Member

piet is doing well so far

Feb 23, 2006, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBECCASBACK
When can we expect the site to be back online and running? Could you please state a date and time thanks in advance

Rebecca
i wish i could but i realy dont know
im gonna call them tomorrow morning. I dont even have my new ADSL2 modem yet so it can take a few days. it sucks i know but there is nothing i can do about it

JCF Member

Feb 23, 2006, 07:51 PM
Hey Piet man, great to see you ! Sounds funky, I'm up for that...I'll email with a few ideas as I'm going to need a few extra pages on the site this time (e.g. One for bug reporting).

Rebecca: I'd like the rule about not asking me when the game is coming out to apply to piets site too please. Thanks. Set dates arent really something we can afford !

White Rabbit: TEST LEVEL TEST LEVEL TEST LEVEL TEST LEVEL TEST LEVEL
catch me drift ?
hehe yeah weird textures....but does the job !

[EDIT]
WOW !...this is why I don't release early folks...just been bug hunting and found no less than 32 problems...some more severe, some less, but still all a problem !
I'll be cracing on with those after lunch. I certainly have my work cut out for me here.
On the lighter side of the news, Sound Emmiters are in !...still buggy but nearly there.
Catch ya later !

[EDIT]
Ok scratch 50 (yeah i found more) bugs off the list...still have window positions to deal with, an annoying bug thats not let me set the gravity, and a couple of trigger bugs which could end up being wee nasties.
Lesson soon so this may be all for tonight.

[EDIT]
Odd...trigger bugs have sorted themselves out again...(-) confusing little things.
Can sort out layout later and gravity is still messingme about so I may have to change the method I'm using...will be easier in the long run methinks.
Lesson time now...seeya

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 24, 2006 at 05:48 AM.

JCF Member

Feb 24, 2006, 08:40 AM
[Deleted cuz some ppl just didnt really see the 2nd sentence. Dont ask me what was here, lets say it was nonsense. -Jerry]

Last edited by Jerrythabest; Feb 27, 2006 at 06:58 AM.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

Feb 24, 2006, 11:56 AM
Every game has bugs during development.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Feb 24, 2006, 02:03 PM
Of course, with the average video game you don't have the programmer(s) keeping you up-to-date as much, so it only sounds like there are less bugs.
And because Baggers programs new things, that also means there will most likely be new bugs.

JCF Member

Feb 25, 2006, 12:35 AM
yesyes I know better:P let's just sit and wait till its done

JCF Member

Feb 25, 2006, 04:00 AM
Well Jerry would you rather I didnt tell you about them and just give you a game that doesnt work ?
I mean I'm posting when things are half done...I cant really say they work fine can I ?

Thanks Fquist and ThunderPX for your comments !... Yeah I am really trying to keep ye all updated.

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 25, 2006 at 08:28 AM.

JCF Member

Feb 25, 2006, 08:32 AM
[Reply to post I deleted.. get a mod around here to delete the others too.. sorry folks -Jerry]

Last edited by Jerrythabest; Feb 27, 2006 at 06:58 AM.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Feb 25, 2006, 08:42 AM
GAH! EMORAPE EMORAPE!!!

And um thanks for the bug squishing updates.

JCF Member

Feb 25, 2006, 09:04 AM
No probs...Im currently writting a system for handling 3D sounds as the built in one is pretty crappy.

[EDIT]
Well nearly there on the 3D sound system !
I can position my listener in 3D space and put a variety of 3D sounds in the world. The real bonus of my system is the way I can now det up sounds

This terrible image is how the sounds can work.
The sound itself is the red dot with the orange line showing the direction in which the sound is facing.
We have the pink line showing where the sound starts to fade off and the dirty green lineshowing where the sound finally is inaudible...between the points the volume of the sound fades away smoothly.
The blue line shows the start of the valome fade based on the angle from the sound's direction and the green lines showing where the volume finally dissipates.

This control is going to be imensely useful in the game and has come along suprisingly quickly....Now this post is pre-test so this could all go horribly wrong yet but heres to hoping !
Good-Night !

Last edited by Baggers; Feb 25, 2006 at 02:17 PM.

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Feb 26, 2006, 04:59 AM
Baggers=Awesome

JCF Member

Feb 26, 2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks Olson !
Just been testing out hte sound commands....no big bugs, had a couple of typos and a couple of divides round the wrong way but its working well now. Sounds are positioning correctly and volume fades off corresponding with the sounds projection angles and range.
Got some more mind taxing stuff to conquer next though which is getting the sound to pan correctly (basically choose which speaker it shuld be coming out of louder) based upon which way the listener is facing.
Now this is technically simple...we find the agnle between the vector which represents the sound traveling to the listener and the vector representing the direction the listener is facing....this bit is easy. Problem is that .... wait
...hold on...
...I think I might have worked it out.
Be back later !
mwuhahaha !

[EDIT]
(-), nope...that wasnt it...going to ask a friend for help !

JCF Member

Feb 26, 2006, 09:21 AM
[Deleted cuz some people misunderstood me. Dont worry, we can live without the 'information' that was in this post. -Jerry]

Last edited by Jerrythabest; Feb 27, 2006 at 06:59 AM.