Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

Layers, tiles & graphics from Jazz 1

incandescentembers

JCF Member

incandescentembers is doing well so far

Oct 27, 2012, 08:22 PM
Layers, tiles & graphics from Jazz 1

Hi everyone!
I have 3 questions that I couldn't find on the forum.

1. Is it possible in Jazz 2 levels to replace 1 type of tile by another one? I assume that every tile has it own ID, right? So is it possible to change all tiles with ID (for example) 2 to tiles with ID (again, for example) 8?

It is useful if there is a new version of the tileset that I used in a level that changed possitions of its tiles.

2. I noticed that a huge limitation in Jazz 2 is a number of layers. Only 4 for a background (layers 5-8). Is it possible to add more layers? I know that there are a lot of smart programmers who know how to convert existing programs (I'm SOOO not one of them) - maybe it is not that hard to add more layers?

3. I found a very useful tool - JazzSD by neobeo (it extracts all the graphics from Jazz 2 into .png files). Is there a similar tool for Jazz 1? I'd really love to be able to extract every single frame of every single animation.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Oct 27, 2012, 10:37 PM
1. I don't think that you can do this normally with JCS. You might be able to get the same effect if you used a combination of zapS' new tools: J2L Tool, J2T Rearranger.
When you use the j2t rearranger, it will give you a file that can be used with the j2l tool to swap out certain tiles for other tiles. I haven't gotten around to trying it myself, so I can't give you much more help than that, but I think it could do what you want.

2. I'm afraid the number of layers is currently limited by JJ2 itself. It's pretty much impossible at the moment to add more.

3. Jazz 1 keeps all the sprites in a different way than JJ2. Instead of a single sprite archive like JJ2, the level files contain whatever sprites are needed for that level. I think J1E will let you view/edit them, but I'm not sure if it has an export function like JazzSD

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Oct 28, 2012, 01:29 AM
Although I'm not sure about #1, #2 is definately impossible, and #3 requires JJ1MOD(Oh, and Obi1mcd, I don't think you can edit sprites in J1E. Although, I'm not exactly an advanced user, so I could be wrong).

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Oct 28, 2012, 09:13 AM
You edit sprites in a graphics program of your choice, import them to JJ1 using JJ1MOD, and arrange them into animations in J1E. Or just extract them with JJ1MOD, since all you asked about was extracting.

JCF Member

Oct 30, 2012, 08:41 PM
Big thanks goes to everyone who replayed me!

For # 1 I'll try J2L Tool, J2T Rearranger (Thank you Obi1mcd!). For # 3 I'll try JJ1 MOD (Thank you Robo4900 and Violet CLM!).

Since # 2 seems impossible cool tilesets are forced into TSF version because in 1.23 you have huge limit of tiles in your tileset (I don't believe that 1020 tiles makes a good and COMPLETE tileset)... UNLESS whatever background you are planning that goes on layer 4 could easily be placed in different layer (#5) IF there would be more layers for background. Having only #6 and #7 for background with different speed than layer 4 (1.0?) doesn't seem cool (Duh, not counting layer #8 since the TEXTURED BACKGROUND IS A MUST!!!!!).

BTW: what is the limit of layer size? In TSF it showing me that is 1023 tiles x 1023 tiles. And in 1.23?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Oct 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
Layer sizes are the same in both 1.23 and 1.24.

JCF Member

Nov 2, 2012, 11:27 AM
Transparency in JCS

I don't want to open a new topic for this, so I'll ask here:

What I'm doing wrong with building a tileset? I use bmp format with 256 colors, including 2 transparent ones - jazz blue (87,0,203) and black (0,0,0):

And all the background, filled with jazz blue color, isn't transparent in JCS... When I use black instead of jazz blue - the same problem. What is wrong?

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Nov 2, 2012, 12:20 PM
There's probably something wrong with your palette. http://www.jazz2online.com/tilesets has a lot of info on how they work and what they should be like in order for transparency to work correctly.
incandescentembers

JCF Member

Nov 2, 2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
There's probably something wrong with your palette. http://www.jazz2online.com/tilesets has a lot of info on how they work and what they should be like in order for transparency to work correctly.
Thank you! This tutorial is amazing. The more I see on this portal the more it surprises me

JCF Member

Love & Thunder has disabled reputation

Nov 4, 2012, 12:54 AM
It might be down to the BMP format, although I don't know.
Try saving it as a PCX instead. That usually works for me.

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Nov 6, 2012, 07:52 PM
I"m gonna assume you used the tileset extractor. When you use this program, pallet entries 1 and 2 get swapped, causing this error.

You can fix this with pallet suite.

If you're tileset doesn't have a pallet, make sure to checkmark "Remap tileset Pallet" then compiling it in JCS.
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>