Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Jazz Jackrabbit 1 vs. Windows XP

npc

JCF Member

npc is doing well so far

May 10, 2005, 10:11 PM
Unhappy Jazz Jackrabbit 1 vs. Windows XP

it is possible to play JJ1 on Windows XP? My version (i think about re-edition) is working only in menu - when i launching the game, monitor is black
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

JelZe GoldRabbit is doing well so far

May 11, 2005, 02:58 AM
That's a common problem, mainly because Windows XP no real DOS foundations for JJ1 to work with. Most of the time it doesn't work, it just plain crashes. There are multiple solutions, but your best bet is the DOSBox DOS emulator. Let me warn you, the emulator takes a while to get used to.

May I suggest a sticky for this?
npc

JCF Member

npc is doing well so far

May 11, 2005, 03:56 AM
it really works! now i can play my favourite jazz without installing win98
and you're right, this topic could be sticky or smth, 'cause i suppose, there are many people with similar problem

JCF Member

Mircea is doing well so far

May 20, 2005, 01:32 AM
Does this help when you have a brand-new video card and Windows XP does not allow direct access to it?
I tried playing JJ1 by booting from a Win98 startup disk, but it told me "runtime error" or something like that...
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

May 20, 2005, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea
Does this help when you have a brand-new video card and Windows XP does not allow direct access to it?
I tried playing JJ1 by booting from a Win98 startup disk, but it told me "runtime error" or something like that...
Runtime error 200? That's common too.

On one side, JJ1 can't work with XP because XP has no DOS foundations. On the other hand, JJ1 can't run on PC's faster than 200 MHZ, due to a fault in the language in which it's programmed (for your reference it's Pascal). This results in Runtime error 200. Fortunately, there's a solution for that too: TPPatch, which you can find somewhere in the downloads.

In short, if you want to run JJ1 and have:
- Windows 95, 98 or ME, get the TPPatch
- Windows XP, get DOSBox.

In both cases, video cards are not an issue
Potnop

JCF Member

Potnop is doing well so far

May 21, 2005, 03:14 AM
Wow, for me it duz work on WIn XP. Perfectly. Except I have sound problems. THey echo for some reason. Who knows how to fix that?! I like went into the setup utitlty 4 it and tried all options and it still duznt work right.
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

May 21, 2005, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potnop
Wow, for me it duz work on WIn XP. Perfectly. Except I have sound problems. THey echo for some reason. Who knows how to fix that?! I like went into the setup utitlty 4 it and tried all options and it still duznt work right.
Wow, then you're exceptional. About the sound, I guess it's just poorly emulated by Windows XP. Take my advice and try DOSBox for JJ1.

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

May 21, 2005, 07:14 AM
Remember: you need a monster good computer for playing jazz1 in that dosbox...

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

May 21, 2005, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potnop
Perfectly. Except I have sound problems.
Holy contradiction, Batman.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

May 22, 2005, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan
Remember: you need a monster good computer for playing jazz1 in that dosbox...
It doesn't need to be that good. It just needs to be something that was made in this century.

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

May 23, 2005, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaThunderPX
It doesn't need to be that good. It just needs to be something that was made in this century.
2100+ isnt enough.

JCF Member

May 24, 2005, 08:01 AM
OK, I managed to repair the runtime error by getting the right game kit. I have an older computer where Jazz 1 works, but it's not mine. The problem is that this older computer has an older video card (witch is good), but my computer has an video card that uses drivers witch do not suport direct access. So, every time I try to run Jazz (or Setup.exe to set sound) I get this error:

[IMG]D:\Error.bmp[/IMG]

It sais there is something wrong with "autoexec.nt" (in case the image above is not displayed). And I have the same error with all MS-DOS games. Can anyone help me with this so I can finally play Jazz 1 on my PC???
JelZe GoldRabbit

JCF Member

May 24, 2005, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea
OK, I managed to repair the runtime error by getting the right game kit. I have an older computer where Jazz 1 works, but it's not mine. The problem is that this older computer has an older video card (witch is good), but my computer has an video card that uses drivers witch do not suport direct access. So, every time I try to run Jazz (or Setup.exe to set sound) I get this error:

[IMG]D:\Error.bmp[/IMG]

It sais there is something wrong with "autoexec.nt" (in case the image above is not displayed). And I have the same error with all MS-DOS games. Can anyone help me with this so I can finally play Jazz 1 on my PC???
Ok, first of all, the [IMG] tag only works with URL's. If you want it to show, upload it to a hosting service.

And it's pretty much common sense to follow the advice I gave you: have you even tried DOSBox?

- JelZe GoldRabbit =:3

JCF Member

May 25, 2005, 12:02 AM
I got it to work. Thanks!