Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

JJ2+ (Updated June 30, 2010)

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Jan 25, 2010, 01:29 PM
I actually implemented the Lori copter fix some while ago (it'll be in the next update), but thanks anyway Gry. Speaking of Lori fixes, I figured out how to fix Lori's fur color and to make her clothes color customizable. The only problem is that some colors in Lori's sprites should stay purple and yellow, like her airboard and her explosion effect. Ideally, Lori's fur and clothes in the sprites in Anims.j2a would be changed to green and red respectively, and JJ2+ would handle the color correction so that Lori's colors displayed yellow and purple by default. I'm just not sure if it's worth the effort, and others might prefer the current behavior anyway.

By the way, Lori's clothes color will be editable by setting the value that used to change the color of the tip of Lori's gun. This means the tip of Lori's gun will stay red, but the rest of the gun can still be different colors. I had to keep either the gun tip or Lori's eyes fixed at one color, and I chose the former.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jan 26, 2010, 01:16 AM
If you're implementing the Lori fix, would it be possible to switch it off? So far I have made the Devil Dash levels having Lori take different routes specifically because of her inability to grab copters, which has become a cool feature and sort of a challenge over the other two characters. It would be a shame if I had to remove it.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

Last edited by DoubleGJ; Jan 26, 2010 at 01:17 AM. Reason: removed a portion of the post because apparently I can't read
Frostbite

JCF Member

Frostbite is doing well so far

Jan 26, 2010, 07:44 AM
Wow, so much has been going on in the few years I was away ... This is awesome!

JCF Member

Jan 26, 2010, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGJ View Post
If you're implementing the Lori fix, would it be possible to switch it off? So far I have made the Devil Dash levels having Lori take different routes specifically because of her inability to grab copters, which has become a cool feature and sort of a challenge over the other two characters. It would be a shame if I had to remove it.
It's not really worth making it an optional feature for one special case, though I could make the Lori start position work instead.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

Last edited by blurredd; Jan 26, 2010 at 02:14 PM.

JCF Member

DoubleGJ has disabled reputation

Jan 26, 2010, 03:03 PM
Wow, surprised I haven't thought of it. Yes, with this I can use triggers to keep everything as it is and this could also make some other things possible.

Two Games Joined releases:
Control / Splinter (twin singles)
|| Ballistic Bunny (EP)
||
Beyond (maxi-single)
|| Beyond: Remixed (remix EP)
|| Inner Monsters OST (mini-album)
||
Shadows (album)

JCF Member

Jan 26, 2010, 03:56 PM
I'll probably use event 32 for Lori Level Start since it isn't used for anything as far as I can tell.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Jan 26, 2010, 05:42 PM
That would make a lot of sense. It would put it next to the other start pos events as well. Having a lori start event is a very good idea too.

JCF Member

Crazy Rabbit is doing well so far

Feb 4, 2010, 03:23 AM
BlurredD, what about JCS+ with scripting, its possible?

JCF Member

Feb 4, 2010, 11:20 AM
As far as I know, no one, including Neobeo, is actively working on JCS+, and my only priority at the moment is JJ2+. You'll have to talk to Cpp about scripting, assuming you can find him.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 4, 2010, 11:31 AM
I also imagine it'd be a lot more interesting for people to do a JCS+ if people came with feature requests less vague than "with scripting".

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Feb 4, 2010, 12:14 PM
I think it's more practical for people to make tools that complement JCS rather than replace it, anyway. Reworder is a good example. This way you can make the basic level in the editor, and do fancier things with external program. It also just so happens that these fancy things usually are rather technical, and don't have much to do with the level design (which JCS is most suited to). Honestly, I think if a JCS+ were ever made, the best improvements it could make would be interface related, such as the ability to flood-fill tiles and whatnot.

Scripting is still the best solution to the sorts of things people would like to do. A working scripting language already exists and is capable of doing some reasonably powerful stuff, but unfortunately the project seems to have stalled, as tends to happen with things like this. I imagine it could still be completed eventually, but I have no idea when or if that will happen. It's a shame really because what has been done so far shows a lot of promise, but at the moment it still lacks a handful of features that would be needed for it to be brought into practical use.

JCF Member

Lithium is an asset to this forum

Feb 7, 2010, 06:40 AM
It would be nice to remove the "hack attempt from -;added - to block list" from the new plus because these days a new hacking program appeared abusing this feature. Its only purpose is to annoy host and admins by spamming the "hack attempt" message. Please remove it or do something about it.

JCF Member

Grytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legendGrytolle is a forum legend

Feb 7, 2010, 06:53 AM
Sounds like something an actual ban would solve

JCF Member

DanZeal is an asset to this forum

Feb 7, 2010, 07:53 AM
Ban the IP using your firewall.

ZStats
"The myth that women should not lift heavy is advanced only by women who fear effort and men who fear women." Eric Midkiff

JCF Member

Lithium is an asset to this forum

Feb 7, 2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytolle View Post
Sounds like something an actual ban would solve
The ban doesn't work. It still spams the messages 'added - to the block list'.
Vegito

JCF Member

Vegito is an asset to this forum

Feb 7, 2010, 09:19 AM
Not only that, you can create clones that can't be banned at all. It will fill up your server and all you can do is rehost. (Ban/kick/whatever and they will just rejoin).
Then there's also the "block" messages that can be spammed too, yes. Banning the IP won't work unless you block the IP via your firewall.
But then again, if only a proxy is used you're screwed anyway. I can perhaps try and get the packets with WPE :-/. There's a player searching for breaches inside JJ2+ to still be able to annoy people.

http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showp...70&postcount=1

Some screenshot of the actual clones, not that it will matter much.

JCF Member

Feb 7, 2010, 10:13 AM
Oh. That's mean:P

JCF Member

sonicnathan 1 is doing well so far

Feb 8, 2010, 08:42 AM
Wow what a dick.

Wow first time posting in god knows how long and I'm calling someone a dick.....
Episode 4: Probably never

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=4882"> Deckstar V3</a>
<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5408">Colonial Fix</a>
Jazz 1 Fanolint: 98%

<a href="http://www.jazz2online.com/J2Ov2/downloads/info.php?levelID=5407">Finished secret levels</a>

JCF Member

Feb 8, 2010, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicNathan 1 View Post
Wow what a dick.
thats what she said

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Feb 8, 2010, 10:41 PM
Random minor feature that might be cool for a future version of plus:
When spectating, on levels where each team has a different set of triggers, the spectator sees the triggers in some default setting. It would be nice if plus switched the triggers for the spectator to match whichever player they happened to be watching at the moment, so you don't end up watching people run through walls.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

JCF Member

Feb 9, 2010, 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron97 View Post
The ban doesn't work. It still spams the messages 'added - to the block list'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegito View Post
Not only that, you can create clones that can't be banned at all. It will fill up your server and all you can do is rehost. (Ban/kick/whatever and they will just rejoin).
Then there's also the "block" messages that can be spammed too, yes. Banning the IP won't work unless you block the IP via your firewall.
This is something that would've been fixed had I released the next JJ2+ update already. I'll see if I can hurry the release. I've been wasting too much time trying to figure out all the DirectDraw calls in JJ2 recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglobite View Post
Random minor feature that might be cool for a future version of plus...
Maybe one day.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

Old Feb 16, 2010, 09:35 PM
snzspeed
This message has been deleted by snzspeed. Reason: HAHAHAHhahahahAHAHHAHahhjsdadhHahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAA
BlueDragon

JCF Member

BlueDragon is doing well so far

Feb 18, 2010, 07:23 AM
Blur any ting on adding support for the Lori Start Pos and the chopper?
Elemental

JCF Member

Elemental is doing well so far

Feb 18, 2010, 11:55 AM
Sorry for posting a newbie question, but is this a mod that adds option for online coop, and if not, what is? There are several pages all over the internet suggesting that it is possible to play JJ2 coop online with 3rd party mods, but none tells which one... =/

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Feb 18, 2010, 12:06 PM
Well, you can set the game mode to coop with JJ2+ (see the readme and look for the /gamemode command). I don't know whether it's as buggy as in vanilla JJ2 though.

JCF Member

Feb 18, 2010, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klemenkin View Post
Blur any ting on adding support for the Lori Start Pos and the chopper?
Lori start positions (using event 32) will be in the next update, and, like I mentioned earlier, so will the copter fix.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

Old Feb 18, 2010, 02:25 PM
snzspeed
This message has been deleted by snzspeed. Reason: fuck you treylina
Vegito

JCF Member

Vegito is an asset to this forum

Feb 18, 2010, 03:21 PM
That'll be an interesting update with a lot of fixes .

JCF Member

Feb 18, 2010, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
Sorry for posting a newbie question, but is this a mod that adds option for online coop, and if not, what is? There are several pages all over the internet suggesting that it is possible to play JJ2 coop online with 3rd party mods, but none tells which one... =/
http://www.jazz2online.com/downloads...oop-bug-fixer/

JCF Member

BlueDragon is doing well so far

Feb 19, 2010, 07:05 AM
Is there a way you could make a console window that can be opened by command line were we could enter JJ2+ commands,see system and chat logs and a command like cmdlist so it would list all commands.

And would you be able to add an option like its in Quake3 type games that you can chat as Console: by entering the command "say Anything" into the above suggestion?

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2010, 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grytolle View Post
This is a nice utility but unfortunately it is clientside, so everyone has to be running it in order for coop to work. I have no idea if a completely serverside solution is possible though (a lot of the fancier features JJ2+ has require plus-only mode).

JCF Member

Feb 27, 2010, 04:51 AM
I very much doubt it...

(+ only is bascially only used because a feature was impossible to code with backwards compability)
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:58 PM
snzspeed
This message has been deleted by snzspeed. Reason: nvm ;
DanZeal

JCF Member

DanZeal is an asset to this forum

Mar 26, 2010, 07:05 AM
I´m just curious.
How is the work with the new plus going?

ZStats
"The myth that women should not lift heavy is advanced only by women who fear effort and men who fear women." Eric Midkiff
XEREMAT

JCF Member

XEREMAT is doing well so far

Mar 29, 2010, 06:42 AM
how to i make a server with Console: says.... i see a lot of ppl got it

JCF Member

init is doing well so far

Apr 4, 2010, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone!

Unfortunately hosting servers with Plus does not work with Linux/Wine. When I start a server, I get this error message twice:
Quote:
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 has caused an access violation at address 10043913h by attempting to "read" from address 00000004h
After that, Jazz2 crashes.
It works with the standard version of Jazz2 (TSF) but I need Plus because of some features such as spectating or team battle.
Is there any way to fix this bug?

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux Testing with Wine 1.0.1.

JCF Member

Apr 4, 2010, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by init View Post
Hi everyone!

Unfortunately hosting servers with Plus does not work with Linux/Wine. When I start a server, I get this error message twice:

After that, Jazz2 crashes.
It works with the standard version of Jazz2 (TSF) but I need Plus because of some features such as spectating or team battle.
Is there any way to fix this bug?

I'm using Debian GNU/Linux Testing with Wine 1.0.1.
Does this also happen with 1.23? I ask, because I used Ubuntu for some time and never had any problems with JJ2+.

Does this error happen whenever you try to join games as well? Or is it only when hosting? Also, have you tried hosting a different level? (access violations are often due to some problem in the level)

JCF Member

Apr 5, 2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your quick reply.

It doesn't work with 1.23 either.
The rest of the game works. Only hosting a server does not.

I found out that everything works with the old version of Plus (The readme file says "JJ2+ Beta Release (last updated Apr 9, 2008)"), even hosting.

JCF Member

Apr 5, 2010, 08:58 AM
This is an issue with gethostname and/or WSAAsyncGetHostByName. In your jazz2.log, what host name are you seeing on the line that starts with "NET: WinSock v2.2"? And is there a "NET: netGetHostAddr failed:" message shown before you crash? If so, what is the error message?

I'll be able to at least prevent the crash in the next JJ2+ update (this is only an issue when JJ2 attempts to bind to a specific local IP address as opposed to any available IP address), and you should be able to use this dll in the meanwhile.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Apr 5, 2010, 09:00 AM
I have a question. Will plus enable frogs in multiplayer? It's actually possible to be a frog in MP, if there is a witch, but while I see myself as a frog, other players see me as a very stupid rabbit. Could a new plus fix it? It could be an awesome feature.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Apr 5, 2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurredD View Post
This is an issue with gethostname and/or WSAAsyncGetHostByName. In your jazz2.log, what host name are you seeing on the line that starts with "NET: WinSock v2.2"? And is there a "NET: netGetHostAddr failed:" message shown before you crash? If so, what is the error message?
This is the corresponding line in the jazz2.log:
Quote:
NET: WinSock v2.2 "WinSock 2.0", Status: Running, Host: Butters
The host name "Butters" is right. There is no "NET: netGetHostAddr failed:" message shown.
I think the "access violation" message was caused by the missing "bass.dll". The message was not shown anymore after putting this file into the Jazz2 directory (I must have forgotten this when I installed the new plus version). However, Jazz2 still crashed when I tried to start a server.
Quote:
[...] and you should be able to use this dll in the meanwhile.
Yay! It works
Thank you.

JCF Member

Apr 8, 2010, 12:04 AM
I updated JJ2+. Most notable change: it's now even easier to add colors to your player name.
Gameplay Theories.
SC2.

JCF Member

Apr 8, 2010, 12:12 AM
Quote:
I updated JJ2+. Most notable change: it's now even easier to add colors to your player name.
Yes, this is true. But I think a certain minor addition should also be pointed out. Behold the power of jj2+

(That's what 32 simultaneous connections looks like)
Closed Thread