Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

M.I.A & The Jazz3D Total Conversion

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Mar 14, 2006, 12:20 PM
Hmm...boomerang might be more awkward...
*thinks* no wait it is do-able ! Not sure how well it would work but it is possible.

As for the punching glove yeah thats easy...the hardest part is modeling it.

[EDIT]

Hey page claim in the name of this (-) particle editor which refuses to work in the (-) weapon editor.

Last edited by Baggers; Mar 15, 2006 at 05:02 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 12:23 AM
Baggers
This message has been deleted by Baggers. Reason: Double posting

JCF Member

Mar 15, 2006, 01:39 AM
I found the problem.....I was missing a '=0' on one line of code....such a typical bug tiny and seemingly inconsequential but without it the particle system ever knew what object slots were free and so could not make the particle in case it made it into a slot of an existing object.
Ah well its fixed now and I'm working on the GUI again. Only some little tweaks.
After this malarkey its positioning on the character (hard) saving and loading (hard) and couple of easy bits. Then I'm onto the game engine itself, which will rule !
I've missed coding proper game stuff, I've spent far too long making all these editors but without them MIA would be nothing.

After the engine I'm coding M.I.A core which is the bit where you guy can log in a actually create games. The first beta release of MIA will not have a NPC editor, that will come once we have all the other bugs culled and games are running well on-line....that editor is going to be possibly the most challenging yet.

Ah well, lunch time now. After that I'm going to carry on working on this hopefully and maybe even have the particle system nearly finished by the end of the day...only time will tell.

Bye !

[EDIT]
Hooray for progress !

I still doubt that all the particle stuff will be done today.

[EDIT]
More progress !

This wont be all finished today but I think the hard stuff is out the way (particle wise).

Last edited by Baggers; Mar 15, 2006 at 05:01 AM.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Mar 15, 2006, 05:27 AM
looks awesome

JCF Member

Megaton Cat is doing well so far

Mar 15, 2006, 07:40 AM
Hey Baggage

Sexey progress here!

Can't wait to start making some tilesets & levels for this.

Meow!

JCF Member

Mar 15, 2006, 07:47 AM
Yo man !...great to see you here.

(For the unitiated this is megaton cat...an awesome web designer dude....Also is part of the team I am in, which is made up of Jonny on modeling, megaton on modeling and web design, and myself on coding)

Well I have some small TC's planned which I will need your help with very soon. I'll email you with details soon.

JCF Member

Jerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legendJerrythabest is a forum legend

Mar 15, 2006, 08:29 AM
me? lol

hmm interesting.. I honestly tought you were on this alone!

JCF Member

Marijn is doing well so far

Mar 15, 2006, 09:34 AM
mm... And you still blame here for the slow proccess!

I say HOORAY for every update! I like the weapon editor so far! Keep going like this

JCF Member

Mar 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
I dont blame im just impatient

JCF Member

Mar 15, 2006, 08:54 PM
Hehe yup.
No this project (M.I.A) is all me so far. I'm still using models made by hare and jonny for the Jazz TC however.

[EDIT]
I've been (-) tired today. Had an hour kip after lunch to get some energy back as I want to crack on with the weapon editor this evening.
Just found a big mistake I had made with the particle system so I am working heavily on rectifying that. Results in me undoing a fair bit of work but hey thats life !
I will warn you guys there will be a steep learning curve for these editors. Especially for those who havnt programmed before as all of this will be new. However it's all GUI based and i will be releasing some LARGE video tutorials to help you aswell.
Just don't expect to be able to dive right in a do everything, it will take some practice.....But for whenever you get bored or stuck developing your own masterpiece there will always be some online games for you to play !
I think M.I.A will be released with
Out in the Sticks - A stickman shoot-em-up with some funky weapons
- This is as of yet un-named but will be a fully 3D space game, take your ship and blast your way round asteroid feilds, nebula and other such funky places....should prove that M.I.A can produce a wide variety of games

Jazz will wither be released at the same time or follow shortly after in a Beta form. The main problem holdig me back is media, I really need more models ! When I'm nearer release though I'll be hiring so we shall see.

Anyway back to the 'here & now'...I have a weapon editor to write ! (and a lesson to give shortly)
Bye

[EDIT]
Well it's 9pm and I'm still teaching !....my class finished at 8 but my mate arthur came and needed a hand doing some research so I doubt I'll get much work done on the project tonight.
Seeya

[EDIT] Am doing some work...Just making some HUGE modifications to the weapon editor interface...I'm debating a slight rewrite (only slight) to make everything neater.

Last edited by Baggers; Mar 16, 2006 at 10:48 AM.

JCF Member

Mar 17, 2006, 02:53 AM
Slight Re-write went well, system is now more expandable....New weapon features have been added mainly relating to when a projectile dies. The user can set the projectile to die on:
Terrain: Bullet dies when it hits the world or objects.
Enemies: Bullet dies when it hits enemies
Blocks: Items that can be damaged (like stomp or shoot blocks in Jazz)
Proximity : Bullet dies when it enters within a set range of an enemy (awesome for proximity mines !)
Bounce Number : Die when the projectile has bounced number of times.
After Time : Dies after ammount of time

You can also now set weapons to pierce armor or for projectiles to attach themselves to whatever they hit...can make really cool weapons:
e.g. A rocket launcher where, when the missile hits the enemy it attaches and then detonates after a certain ammount of time. Used to have one of these in StarWars darkforces II...great weapon, clamp it to an enemy and watch it run back into it's own ranks and explode! hehe

So yeah thats what I'm up to at the moment !

JCF Member

Mar 17, 2006, 09:33 AM
What for models do you like ? and what is the max polycount ? Im just doing ... nothing latly

JCF Member

Mar 17, 2006, 10:55 AM
whahah that's what they call Dunglish .. Never really seen anyone using it..

anyway, this weapon factory sounds really cool

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Mar 17, 2006, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marijn
What for models do you like ?
I like super models . : )

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 01:59 AM
Marijn: Your a modeler ?...awesome, can I see any examples of stuff youve done? You dont have to post em here, just PM or email them to me.
That would be so handy,
What kind of thing would you like to model, like I said we have 3 TC's to make, the Jazz one, The Stickman battle one and the Space one.
It's up to you, can't wait to hear from ye.

Well I came into work today but my boss is away so I cant fix her computer yet so I am free for a while so will probably be working on the level editor

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 03:21 AM
isnt it confusing if you are making 3 games at a time? better finish one and then start the next one... well, its your choise... have fun being free

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 03:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrythabest
isnt it confusing if you are making 3 games at a time? better finish one and then start the next one... well, its your choise... have fun being free
Games = TC's.

Oke. I will sent you some models as soon I can. I have a little problem with my motherboard so that is (hopefully) fixed soon. But I would like to know what to make.. I know I can make some models for the Jazz TC... but for the other 2... I don't know anything about them. I would like to see some progress of them.

I will come to you shortly with some models, but now I can only pray and hope I can work again soon.

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 04:07 AM
Marijn: Sounds great...lets have you working on the Jazz TC (if you dont mind of course) as I'd love to show some more Jazz screen shots.
I'll have a go on the StickMan one.

Jerry: Yeah sorry, as Marijn pointed out, I meant TC's when I said games. Yeah it is a bit confusing !

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 04:26 AM
actually, I meant TCs when saying games too

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 05:10 AM
Ah !...okidokey then, our bad !
It's not actually too much work to have 3 TC's on the go. The reason being that the actual making of the game is really (-) easy using MIA's aditors...it's just getting the media is the tricky bit.
The thing that really takes up my time though is making the editors and engine.

So yeah it's not too hard.

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 05:26 AM
great then.. I cant wait (again):P go on!

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 06:21 AM
Wee change of editors.
I am moving the part of the editor that lets you set how the player holds the gun over to the character editor rather than in the gun editor to aid the modding community.

The effect is that I wil be able to start on the saving and loading of the gun editor now. Finish that editor and then work on add the new features to the Character Editor.

Righto I'm off now.
Seeya

JCF Member

Megaton Cat is doing well so far

Mar 18, 2006, 06:49 AM
I would agree with Jerry - why not just have one TC going at once (Jazz3D)? Or are you intending to make 3 TC's to show of what MIA can do because you're planning to sell it?

Last edited by Megaton Cat; Mar 18, 2006 at 07:09 AM.
ThunderPX

JCF Member

ThunderPX is doing well so far

Mar 18, 2006, 09:07 AM
As far as I've understood it, Stickman TC will be released with MIA to show off, the Space TC will show off how you can make different things with MIA, and the Jazz TC is just Baggers' little project.

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 09:38 AM
M.I.A Pro will be sold...but that is only an idea at the moment as I have to see how well this free version will do. Thunder sought of has it though:
Stickman shows off and entices interest
I want to do the space one as it will show variety and is also not very media heavy
Jazz is the original project, very media heavy and so will take quite a while to finish.

It's just really to get people interested as it's so hard to entic most people with just words, they want proof they can play !

The other thing is that M.I.A is meant to be a game system, not just for those who want to create so I want to get some games for them to play aswell !

Maybe I am doing to much, we shall see as time passes. All I know at the moment is that for me to make a weapon for Jazz it takes me roughly 3 mins to get it looking good and have it ready for exporting! actualy making things with the editors is fast, but making the editors is slow...Not too much more to go though !

Seeya later.

[EDIT]
HELL YEAH !
Just finished the weapon editor ! Awesome
Right so things I have to do:
* Add the character-gun screen interaction to the character editor.
* Write the Game Engine
* Write M.I.A Core

But I am very bored of editors so I am going to start on the engine now..ahh this is great !
Right I'm off to do some heavy planning and then get coding.
Good-night people.

Last edited by Baggers; Mar 18, 2006 at 12:35 PM.
Marijn

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers
Good-night people.
Will M.I.A PRO sold with or without models ?? ( I am lazy and i only work for the free world! )

Sleep well.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

Mar 18, 2006, 07:55 PM
How much will M.I.A. Pro cost in USD (or in whatever currency you use)? What will it feature above M.I.A. Basic (that is, will M.I.A. Basic have any handicaps over Pro, feature more stock models, etc.)?

Also, I don't think games made with M.I.A. should be called TCs, because TCs are usually converted from another game. M.I.A. is more of a game base engine, like Gamebryo.

JCF Member

Mar 18, 2006, 11:58 PM
let's rename TC's in Bagger's

JCF Member

Mar 19, 2006, 03:38 AM
All: M.I.A Pro is still just an idea. I'd only really go for it if the free version of M.I.A did well. This is because I would be investing money in M.I.A Pro for extra features and I'd need to be sure that I coud make it back.

Ok that said I'll answer these questions:

Marijn: Free media for all versions of M.I.A...it's on the web, it's just knowing where to look for it. I will be providing loads of links and downloads of free media when I release M.I.A. It's not meadia I have created but media that I have found over the web while making this project.

Odin: Very undecidied about features of Pro...some i'd like to have in are pixel shader support, fully drivable vehicles, ragdoll physics, totaly redesigned GUI system....but again these are just ideas and some may arive in this free version of M.I.A.
I see your thinking....Lets have ideas from you guys to what they shuld be called. I think even just calling them 'Games' would sefice.
the idea of using Total Conversion came when this was still the Jazz3D project and I was thinking of how users could use the editors to totaly convert it into a different game...once the project became M.I.A it just stuck !
Ok so lets hear your ideas, they need to be short clear and easy to say, it must not sound too technical.

Righto I started plannign the engine lastnight so I am coding some of it today. I dont know if I'll work late tonight as I have teaching tommorow mornign and my sleep was disturbed by a mouse leaping onto my bed last night...ugh.
Bye !

JCF Member

Mar 19, 2006, 04:15 AM
I don't try to make anyone confused.
But just call them games .

I think 3 games are not so big deal, that will keep the game flexible. Still, I subjest a website who host sub-websites..for example:
www.baggers.com/~Jazz3d/
The domain is not free, so now you have a reason to sell M.I.A Pro ( just kidding buddy )

I want my PC BACK! NOW!! .
I also would like to see some screenshots. Pietje is gone... isnt he ? ( it makes me cry ) But I think that you need a new websites, special to upload models

JCF Member

Mar 19, 2006, 06:15 AM
I don't know about Piet, I'm not rushing him. He's done me such a big favour for so long I am not going to pressure him.
Games sounds good to me.

Currently working on the GameEngine, come up against a few tiny barriers and I'm working round them...just having to teach myself some new things. The problems are in aid of speed and efficiency, I'm really trying to make this very efficient.

Righto I'm off again,
Seeya

JCF Member

Mar 19, 2006, 11:51 AM
@Marijn: theres free .co.nr domain names at http://freedomain.co.nr!
@Baggers: you are a teacher, so teaching something yourself shouldn't be that hard for you, am I correct?

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2006, 12:13 PM
Quote:
@Marijn: theres free .co.nr domain names at http://freedomain.co.nr!
@Baggers: you are a teacher, so teaching something yourself shouldn't be that hard for you, am I correct?
mmm.. I haven't teach myself to read

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2006, 12:17 PM
true No-one can XD

JCF Member

Mar 20, 2006, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately free domains normaly suck....they have mandatory adverts I dont want. Plus I dont need web hosting space as I have been kindly given plenty. Don't worry guys, one step at a time I'll get the website sorted.
At the moment my priority lies with the engine...Which is slowly coming along. The main ting that slows me down is I need to make sure that the code I write is heavily optimised...I need this thing to me lean and clean....and as fast as possible. So I'm working on every trick I know (and some I've learnt / made up) to get this thing fast. Once it's released I will also update DBPro to the newest version (which should be out of beta by then) and will optimize further...theres some great tricks I can do in that version.
Anyway, time waits for no man and I have a class to prepare.
Bye

JCF Member

Mar 21, 2006, 03:49 AM
HOT NEWS
========

M.I.A will definately support the following sound types, either at release or a sortly following update.
- Ogg Vorbis
- MP3
- FLAC
- WAV (uncompressed)
- AIFF
- MOD
- S3M
- XM
- IT

Hope it brings a smile to you...certainly did for me !

Been calculating the fastest way to handle triggers today...I'm still not totaly decided but it doesnt matter now. I'll Implement all the possibilites and test them when the engine is running.

[EDIT]
For those who didn't know, the OEM version used s3m files for the music. and they were VERY small meaning the size of the Jazz Game for MIA will drop considerably ! YAY !

Last edited by Baggers; Mar 21, 2006 at 05:15 AM.

JCF Member

Birdie is doing well so far

Mar 21, 2006, 08:28 AM
Good to see that it uses modules

JCF Member

Mar 21, 2006, 08:39 AM
Yeah, makes life a hell of lot easier.
Also when you go to play a net game M.I.A will detect what objects are used in the level and obtain them for you aswell.
Anyhoo good night I'm hungry

JCF Member

Mar 21, 2006, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggers
Unfortunately free domains normaly suck....they have mandatory adverts I dont want.
Hmm .co.nr only has a very small .gif file needed at the index page.. XD take a look at rabbitroasters.co.nr to see what I mean

JCF Member

Mar 22, 2006, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Hmm .co.nr only has a very small .gif file needed at the index page.. XD take a look at rabbitroasters.co.nr to see what I mean
mm.. I've you can change that gif, and it just look like the background... then I see no problem

I also like the auto-download, just like quake does!

JCF Member

Mar 22, 2006, 06:06 AM
Marijn: Yarr 'tis handy.
Been coding some stuff for other people today and also trying to learn some more (I'm being put to shame by the oldbies !) But I have also come up with a idea of how to really get some extra boot out of my game. It's a wee bit complex to explain at the mo but when i get the hang of it I will explain.

Other than that I have spent a little time on the engine. Ive been adding the functions that allow scripts to be called by the objects that use them (triggers, pickups & effectors)

Well I'm off again...lesson time...Oh I also won't be here from friday to monday as I have business in the capital
Until then.
Seeya