Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

LMAT: Beyonduary: Phases Begone

JCF Member

DodgeS is a sad, sad person

Jun 9, 2010, 10:50 AM
As You want, I can use these for my own set.

Yes, I'm being rude.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

Last edited by DodgeS; Jun 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jun 9, 2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
While DodgeS' tiles look nice, I'm not sure how they relate to the tileset's theme... Also, I'd like to work on the tileset a bit, but right now there's two distinct ground types that don't really work together (Sir Ementaler's isometric tiles and DodgeS' 2D ground type). I'm not sure suddenly switching to a totally new ground type is the way to go here (not to mention that it's kind of rude to just ignore all work by others and practically start over new). I suggest that we use Sir Ementaler's isometric tiles and go further with that.
Oh, so that's what he meant. They're 2D and isometric. I didn't notice. Anyway, they do fit each other. Or rather they will fit, after a bit of modifications. Right now I'm trying to make that thing isometric. Just let me have some time.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 9, 2010, 11:18 AM
I think that Ementaler's tiles (or a less detailed version of my originals) could fit into DodgeS' idea with some appropriate recoloring and deisometrication, as a (layer 4) background. I can post an image of what I mean in a few hours if necessary. I would vote for losing isometricity from Ementaler's over adding it to DodgeS' because isometric tilesets, particularly ones that use the full isometric and not what Disguise calls "Semi-isometric" perspective, are harder to use, take up significantly more tiles, and take more time to make. Also I think that cases like in this thread, where the isometric floor uses the same graphics as the actual wall tile, are easily the least attractive way of making an isometric perspective. It works well in nature tilesets, for instance, because your floor is grass and your wall is dirt or rocks or something and they look distinct and interesting, but I don't feel the tileset gains anything from doing it this way.

ETA: Also I like DodgeS' floor and feel it has some good possibilities for walls that are interesting to look at, especially as it is built on and given more variation.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jun 9, 2010, 11:50 AM
Too late.

Yeah, it looks and it is incomplete, but I couldn't take the whole fun myself, so only the basics are done. Force someone to arrange the tiles.

Violet, I don't care what you will do, really. Personally, I like it as it is, but maybe we really should change it. Maybe some poll in a separate thread?

JCF Member

Jun 9, 2010, 12:07 PM
It does not fit at all.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Jun 9, 2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
I think that Ementaler's tiles (or a less detailed version of my originals) could fit into DodgeS' idea with some appropriate recoloring and deisometrication, as a (layer 4) background. I can post an image of what I mean in a few hours if necessary. I would vote for losing isometricity from Ementaler's over adding it to DodgeS' because isometric tilesets, particularly ones that use the full isometric and not what Disguise calls "Semi-isometric" perspective, are harder to use, take up significantly more tiles, and take more time to make. Also I think that cases like in this thread, where the isometric floor uses the same graphics as the actual wall tile, are easily the least attractive way of making an isometric perspective. It works well in nature tilesets, for instance, because your floor is grass and your wall is dirt or rocks or something and they look distinct and interesting, but I don't feel the tileset gains anything from doing it this way.

ETA: Also I like DodgeS' floor and feel it has some good possibilities for walls that are interesting to look at, especially as it is built on and given more variation.
I also like dodges's tiles and ementalers work and would like to see what you would mean.

EDIT: Just viewed some posts here, and I have to make a statement that I think that DodgeS and Sir Ementaler have currently potential to ruin this whole project.

JCF Éminence Grise

Jun 9, 2010, 02:43 PM
This sort of thing. Ementaler's edits could be used equally well, but it would probably have taken me longer to illustrate what I meant with someone else's tiles, so I took a shortcut. (I also included a proposed slight modification to the edges of DodgeS' walls, because I felt they could use a little more color variation.)

ETA: Any person or set of people has the potential to ruin a group project if there aren't enough other people contributing. Where are the twelve users who indicated they would help create an elemental temple, or the nine who wanted to help with a spaceport/airport?

Last edited by Violet CLM; Jun 9, 2010 at 03:03 PM.

JCF Member

Jun 9, 2010, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snzspeed View Post
I have to make a statement that I think that DodgeS and Sir Ementaler have currently potential to ruin this whole project.
Thank you.

Quote:
This sort of thing. Ementaler's edits could be used equally well, but it would probably have taken me longer to illustrate what I meant with someone else's tiles, so I took a shortcut. (I also included a proposed slight modification to the edges of DodgeS' walls, because I felt they could use a little more color variation.)
Okay, let's say it works, but in my opinion, we should use an edit of my tiles. Yours are just too realistic, and the bricks are horizontal. Also, I'm not sure about the colored edges. Maybe they should be colored indeed, but I don't like the way in which you made it.

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Jun 10, 2010, 03:14 AM
DodgeS' tiles look alright, but if it's a space temple I think they should look a bit more rocky, rather than looking like pipes. I also agree that the isometric style can get a bit messy, so maybe we should go with 2D for now. Oh, and I don't think the orange bits match too well...

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 07:34 AM

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 08:34 AM
If we want to make a space temple, I guess we need some inside tiles too. As the bricks in the background don't really remind my tiles, maybe I could just edit my tiles to be 2D and they'd make it in?

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
If we want to make a space temple, I guess we need some inside tiles too. As the bricks in the background don't really remind my tiles, maybe I could just edit my tiles to be 2D and they'd make it in?
Yes, why should they do? They remind UR's tiles.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 09:05 AM

Whaddya think?

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 09:09 AM
As i said - doesn't fit.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeS View Post
As i said - doesn't fit.
Quote:
If You don't like anything - change it.
What means: make it fit, make other templish tiles yourself, or wait to let me make it fit later.

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 09:39 AM
No offence, but it's ugly and i am not able to make it 'work'.

Download Tile Studio and try to make new tiles better.
----------------------------------------------------

I don't know how can I improve the door... This is not the best, but w/e.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

Last edited by DodgeS; Jun 10, 2010 at 11:05 AM.

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 11:16 AM
Quote:
No offence, but it's ugly and i am not able to make it 'work'.

Download Tile Studio and try to make new tiles better.
I'm not sure did you choose "make other templish tiles yourself" or "wait to let me make it fit later", but I'm going to work on it anyway. And whatever that thing is, I'm not going to betray Paint, it rocks. And I can draw good tiles in it, really, I'm just not great in space temples. From what I see, you drew not-bad-but-not-space-temple tiles and I drew rather-ugly-more-space-temple tiles. Both are off-topic in a thread which wants good space temple tiles.

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 11:31 AM
You drew "more-space-temple tiles"? I can see only orange blocks that are 'rather-ugly' and don't look like space tiles. And how do we know how does space temple look like? Everything here will depend on background.

I use both of the programs simultaneously. Most of my work is done in MS Paint, and 1 effect is added in TileStudio to make it look better.

Quote:
I'm not sure did you choose "make other templish tiles yourself" or "wait to let me make it fit later", but I'm going to work on it anyway.
I meant: Start to make prettier tiles for this LMAT and forget about those oragne blocks. [Yes, You could edit them, make them fit, but for me it would be easier to start all over again.]

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Éminence Grise

Jun 10, 2010, 01:02 PM
?

JCF Member

Jun 10, 2010, 08:52 PM
Yes, I was thinking about these too, but I decided they'd remind Sirius too much.

n0

JCF Member

n0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legendn0 is a forum legend

Jun 10, 2010, 09:46 PM
ok fine. Here's some solar panels and the top half of layer 7 or 8

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Jun 11, 2010, 02:07 AM
Sir Ementaler's tiles and DodgeS' tiles don't match. The orange just doesn't look right with the green, if you ask me. Anyway, I'm not too sure about the angled blocks either. That was the part I didn't like about Sirius.

EDIT: How are these for cave tiles?

Last edited by Obi1mcd; Jun 11, 2010 at 04:02 AM.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 04:40 AM
I have a weird feeling that we're going in a wrong direction. I think I'll just return to making this tileset when you'll be sure which tiles will you use. Just remember what's the theme, because right now only n0's tiles and the door remind me space, and only Violet's tiles remind me a temple, while the most important tiles of the tileset (the ground) remind me that cool game Knytt Stories, which has nothing to do with space nor a temple.

About the cave tiles, I think they're too bright. Maybe it's just me, but before I read they're for cave, I thought they're solid. And we already have something like cave tiles, but I guess I'm worrying too much.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 05:20 AM
Who cares about the theme? We will find it out later, what the theme is XD. Elemental temple won, Spaceport was temporary winning...

Cave tiles are cool. I would only remove some stones on corners or even all edges to make it more natural.
Obi, why did You take older version of this "set"? If there wasn't something right you should mention that, if no - try to not miss any tiles.

UR, these angled blocks are not so bad, but we should change its color. Probably, I will do it later.

Sir Ementaler, thank You, it would be easier without You.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Who cares about the theme? We will find it out later, what the theme is XD.
So, Kansas 2nd, good luck.

Last edited by Sir Ementaler; Jun 11, 2010 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Yeah, sure.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 05:48 AM
Is it really so important? What's the difference if it will be space temple or ancient Greece?

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

Administrator

Stijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to beholdStijn is a splendid one to behold

Jun 11, 2010, 07:00 AM
A sense of direction is rather useful when working on a tileset, especially with several people. I suppose it's okay to deviate a bit in the name of artistic freedom, but having one coherent overaching theme for the tiles makes it easier to work on a set.

Of course I haven't contributed anything yet, so maybe I should shut up, but then again part of the reason for that is that there seem to be a few conflicting views on what direction to head in with the set and I'd like to wait until that's clear before making an attempt.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 07:18 AM
Well, basically, just a while ago I decided to delete all of your tiles, because they were too ugly and didn't fit to these:

They're cool and animated, so we should work at them now.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijn View Post
A sense of direction is rather useful when working on a tileset, especially with several people. I suppose it's okay to deviate a bit in the name of artistic freedom, but having one coherent overaching theme for the tiles makes it easier to work on a set.

Of course I haven't contributed anything yet, so maybe I should shut up, but then again part of the reason for that is that there seem to be a few conflicting views on what direction to head in with the set and I'd like to wait until that's clear before making an attempt.
Well, You are right, but it's not what i mean. I mean we should draw as it's space temple, but if it will come up as something else it shouldn't be any big problem.

Quote:
Well, basically, just a while ago I decided to delete all of your tiles, because they were too ugly and didn't fit to these:

They're cool and animated, so we should work at them now.
Primitive. The only thing worth an attention is animated sign.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Primitive. The only thing worth an attention is animated sign.
Of course it's primitive! It's why it died months ago! I'm too lazy to make something new, what anyway wouldn't make it to LMAT, and I didn't really tried to change the theme of LMAT, just show you the pointless of your own doings. If I'd want to change it, I'd rather post this abandoned project (sorry it's so high, forgot before uploading):

It's not my best one of course, but the others are secret.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
I didn't really tried to change the theme of LMAT, just show you the pointless of your own doings.
I don't think so You did.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Jun 11, 2010, 08:20 AM
If you are really going to make a space temple, take those Sir Ementaler's tiles, add a space on the back and you have won.

Or, if it is a airport, mess it up with Blade's space tileset.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 08:47 AM
This reminds me some of the tiles from Windstorm Fortress [By BlurredD]. Of course Windstorm Fortress is million times better, just because it uses plenty of various colors and textures, not only two, and it doesn't include so many useless tiles. Yes, this does look nice, but not original and not space-themed too.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Éminence Grise

Jun 11, 2010, 09:11 AM
DodgeS, please show some sign that you are able to play nice with others. This is a community project, and right now you I feel you are evoking a lot of hostility, repeatedly employing unhelpful language, and showing very little flexibility.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 09:13 AM
Orange-doesn't-fit-to-green-make-it-green guy says my tileset is uncolored, I should kill myself. Well, I probably would, if not the four facts: it's unfinished, it's abandoned, it's old and it's an idea for LMAT, not for a review. Also, the background and only the background is inspired by WSF. The whole rest can't remind you that tileset, as this thing here is isometric. And I'm not sure which tiles do you find useless, but I guess they're some of these unfinished or hardly ever used. They can be deleted within two clicks of your mouse, it's LMAT.

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
DodgeS, please show some sign that you are able to play nice with others. This is a community project, and right now you I feel you are evoking a lot of hostility, repeatedly employing unhelpful language, and showing very little flexibility.
Of course i can, I just can't stand it, when Sir is thinking that everything he draw is incredible and uh-oh-wow!

Someone has to be ruthless. In other way this would be another ordinary set, because of accepting every tile which someone draw... Now, everything is different. There were so many experienced players working on previous LMATs, now here are only few of them or others less experienced. That's why You should criticize our work more too.

To all of You who do not contribute: You should tell us what do You like or don't like. Give us some advices so we will know which is the best way to make it.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 09:51 AM
You have no idea how jealous I am about Stijn's choice now. *sigh*

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:02 AM
He wasn't just so sure how my tiles relate to the theme, he didn't say mine are worse

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Jun 11, 2010, 10:18 AM
I mean that he decided not to work before the theme is decided. I could do the same.

Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:21 AM
Stijn
This message has been deleted by Stijn. Reason: I shouldn't flame people
snzspeed

JCF Member

snzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legendsnzspeed is a forum legend

Jun 11, 2010, 10:50 AM
i would like to contribute something too, but i am currently not sure if its really safe, considering you two keep removing each others tiles and stuff like that.
but i guess i can draw something and post it and then it can be added or so.