Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

LMAT: Beyonduary: Phases Begone

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Aug 30, 2010, 03:43 AM
Oh, and I think the 'fix0rz me plz' tiles are alright. Thing is, I've been a tad confused from the start as to where they go. =b
You'd better ask UR...

JCF Member

Toni should make better posts

Aug 30, 2010, 03:47 AM
well, thanks, gimme your MSN if you have it? I have idea, but I don't know how to make it. What about making some meteors and stars for layer 1/2(and even 3) flying animated? As I told last time. But here's a new imagination by me :d what about making "hurt" tiles? It would be so cool !!1!11!!ONE!!1ONE!

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 03:54 AM
I'm hopeless at doing foreground scenery. Any attempts I've made at putting any in my own sets were promptly deleted. Since you brought up hurt scenery, would some generic spikes do? Oh, and this set needs some more 'airport'. How about an 'arrivals/departures' board? =]

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 04:03 AM
well I'll try to make some spikes and hurt scenery. It's very good in my imagination

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Aug 30, 2010, 04:14 AM
1-minute work.

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 05:31 AM
GJ Jake. I made some stars and animated hurt tiles, but didn't test will they work . If someone can it will be good. Also fix any/all bug(s) if you see.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Aug 30, 2010, 06:18 AM
Isn't that the mirrow fire?

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 06:27 AM
yup it is, but I was making sth like that, only a blue version. Also I will make it different somehow. Atm this is just an example what I meant to make (a.k.a. experiment). Spikes looks good, but I am not sure about last 2 frames of animation. Can someone make them look better?

Last edited by Toni; Aug 31, 2010 at 01:40 AM.

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 07:52 AM
Note: Completely disappearing spikes will not work on this tileset, due to the masks. These masks will go on about the half way on the ground, and hurt will work there just like on spikes.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 30, 2010, 08:15 AM
I'm back, nice to see you're doing well. I don't like a lot of things added and I will later try to do something about those, but overally I'm glad a lot of effort was putten into this LMAT when I was out. I'd like more people to contribute though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Note: Completely disappearing spikes will not work on this tileset, due to the masks. These masks will go on about the half way on the ground, and hurt will work there just like on spikes.
You're not right. My version of this tileset had such spikes which would work. The hurt event should be placed a well-masked tile above them. It can cause stucking and such but who cares.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
Oh, and this set needs some more 'airport'. How about an 'arrivals/departures' board? =]
Let's forget the airport and finish this space tileset. hmm. How about someone would make conveyor belts? starts working on some

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 08:59 AM
no! Airport can be good. I just need inspiration :P

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 09:15 AM
We accidentally 1.24 tileset.

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 09:42 AM
GJ Jake! Here is airplane : D I hope you'll like it

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 10:02 AM
Why is the wing on the background is bent, but the one on front is not? Looks good otherwise.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Aug 30, 2010, 11:14 AM
I have a weird feeling that it goes in a wrong direction now.

Toni, I was able to believe you drew the gems, the radars, that fountain-kind thingy, but wtf such an airplane? I know there's basically no rule next to this LMAT saying "add only your own works", but I think it's in a bad taste (besides, they have a bit problem fitting the overall style). I may be wrong, ofc and it may be yours. In both cases, please explain.

Jake, the belts are an edit of Labrat belts. Yes the hell, I noticed. Besides, they're 2D, they won't work with the rest of it, sorry.

Devan looks nice, I'm not sure if placing him on the floor like that is a good idea though. Please note that a rabbit will run there, probably on the level of his right foot.

I'm almost sure something's wrong with the fix0rz tiles. I'll check it more exactly later.

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
lol SE, we all know I didn't draw airplane and fire... they're there just for example of how things should looks like... I am not master of drawing to draw such a thing . And Jake's belts are of Labrat tileset. We all know it (I hope), too. I was just kidding when posted that airplane. Can't you see it has about 30 colors or more in it .

JCF Member

Aug 30, 2010, 06:01 PM
Well, like Sir E said, I don't think the mirrow fire and the labrat belts should be in this. Yes, the Devan statue could use a lot more work, and I'm still not too sure about the up/down spikes.

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2010, 01:39 AM
Toni, I'd like you to rather post a very poor picture of an airplane we all can improve here, than someone else's work. Maybe that's just my taste, but I don't like ripped stuff in tilesets (even if it's there just for inspiration or whatever). I hope that the rest of the tiles you added (not counting the fire and the plane) are yours, right?

Obi, thanks that you agree with me, just please don't call me "Sir E". Of all the shortcuts of my nickname i dislike this one the most. The "up/down" spikes are probably still going to be edited, like everything.

Jake, start to draw and don't worry about the quality of your pictures. As I said, we're all here able to improve other people's tiles.

I'd also like to ask you guys for not automatically adding to the tileset everything you drew. This is because of the tile placement and the power of my PC (you have no idea how damn long is this site loading for me now). Please, post your drawings alone, without repeating the rest of the set, thank you.

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2010, 01:42 AM
SE, they're all mine lol! And ok I will not post the whole set anymore.

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2010, 10:48 AM
added tile for destruck scenery, but it really need more work. I don't know to fix it. Also there is a cool background. Oh did I forget to tell you there's a fire?

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2010, 11:41 AM
I don't want to complain, especially since I didn't draw a single tile for this LMAT for a lot of time, but what actually is burning? Also, isometric destruct scenery rarely looks well. I will rather think of some way to make a 2D scenery fit than try to improve your tile.

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2010, 12:58 PM
whatever, just to be good

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2010, 07:05 PM
Well, I suck at animating, but I could have a go at the fire. And yeah, isometric destruct scenery just looks wrong to me.
Sir Ementaler: Sorry 'bout that. Is SE alright? =]

JCF Member

Aug 31, 2010, 07:53 PM
That block tile could be used, for instance, as a appearing trigger scenery block or just 1x1 ground tile.

JCF Member

Sep 1, 2010, 04:10 AM
Well, the fact is that it is not useless tile

JCF Member

Oct 26, 2010, 04:24 PM
It's been almost two months since the last post. It's pretty safe to say that this LMAT isn't going anywhere. If you ask me, the main issue here is that the drawing styles of the different people contributing aren't matching up well. I mean, take my/n00b's Devan statue. It's too cartoony for the rest of the set, and it doesn't match. I'm not sure exactly how to solve the problem, but does anybody else still want to work on this? I love the concept of an LMAT, but this one is struggling.

JCF Member

Oct 27, 2010, 03:23 AM
I wanna help, but I agree with you. We can't match up our tiles

JCF Member

DodgeS is a sad, sad person

Oct 27, 2010, 07:30 AM
xD.

Traditional Japan
Blizzard
Weird Pipes

JCF Member

Nov 2, 2010, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeS View Post
xD.
Two letters and a dot just explained me cooba's hatred towards Poland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
It's been almost two months since the last post. It's pretty safe to say that this LMAT isn't going anywhere. If you ask me, the main issue here is that the drawing styles of the different people contributing aren't matching up well. I mean, take my/n00b's Devan statue. It's too cartoony for the rest of the set, and it doesn't match. I'm not sure exactly how to solve the problem, but does anybody else still want to work on this? I love the concept of an LMAT, but this one is struggling.
I see. So what now? Make the tiles fit (in the drawing style sense)? I can try if you wish, shouldn't be that hard, but first tell if that's what you were expecting when reviving it.

I'd also like to know opinions of the other people, the ones which wanted to contribute before. I believe it seemed pretty unsafe to post anything some time ago, but I think it's not the case anymore. I'm interested if you don't contribute due to the bad quality of the tileset or because of the first impression when entering the thread few months ago - or is it a bit of both? Would you contribute if I'd indeed make the thing fit and look good? Because I'm still lacking of people, it's just not enough of fun to work.

JCF Member

Nov 2, 2010, 03:36 PM
For one, I'm not asking anybody to try and do too much themselves. That wouldn't work either. I admit that the quality is putting me off. We have some nice tiles for a base, but the majority of the eyecandy tiles look cheap, frankly. I'm tired right now, so if I sound rude, that's why. I don't want to start over entirely, but I think some of the tiles need to be scrapped. I'll try and adjust my drawing style to match the rest of the set, but again, this is a multi-person set and I don't want it to seem like I'm being pushy or anything. That said, I'm still interested, Sir Ementaler seems interested, and that makes only two. DodgeS is contributing nothing to this thread and I am restraining myself.

JCF Member

Troglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legendTroglobite is a forum legend

Nov 2, 2010, 06:12 PM
Mainly for the sake of actually posting potential tileset material on this thread, I could make this little spinny thing I made in blender into a tile, if it seems to fit the theme/drawing style.

Lexicographer: Someone who writes dictionaries
Neophyte: A novice, or newbie
Hemisemidemiquaver: In music, a sixty-fourth note

Exit Troglobite, Stage Left

Last edited by Troglobite; Nov 2, 2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Looks cleaner with the image on the next line
TheKax

JCF Member

TheKax is doing well so far

Nov 5, 2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
TIME TO BE REDUCTIONIST. HERE ARE YOUR RULES:
  1. Anyone can add tiles!
  2. Please do not remove other people's tiles without justification!
  3. If you do remove someone else's tiles, please mention it, so that we can stop you if we disagree with your reasons!
  4. Editing other people's tiles is, in general, fine!
  5. Criticism of other people's tiles is also fine! We want the best tiles, not just the first ones posted.
  6. All exceptions, special cases, etc., will most likely be dealt with either by mob rule or by someone authoritative deciding to weigh in on things! I mean, let's be realistic here.
  7. Let's make this look great!

Anyway, this is LMAT, short for Let's Make A Tileset, if you've somehow missed the previous threads. Our theme is a tossup between elemental temple, space temple, spaceport, and airport. It's going to be crazy awesome! Especially if you participate! WAHOO!!!

Here's an initial offering for some ground. It's sort of partway between concept art and actual tiles at this point: if people think it's a good direction I can revise the art to be more tileable, post the component graphics separately, etc., but I didn't feel like getting it all perfect before anyone else had a chance to say anything. This is thinking "space temple" and uses an obviously swiped palette for convenience' sake. Some of the blocks could easily be replaced by computery stuff, for greater variety (and theme), but I didn't get around to drawing any of that for the concept art.

Let's get this game rolling! Post your ideas! Your tiles! Your critiques! May this work out.
I don't realy know if it is going the wrong way, but I actually would have wanted to see a templish tileset, something awe inspiring, and more ancient, more complicated and more sophisticated comparedt to the rabbits current culture... We kind of lack that kind of tileset... Yes, I'm pointing it in the way of something like starcraft's Xel'Naga and Jak&Daxter's precursors (google 'em.).

It seem JCF administration got a move on since my name got "finally" changed. But hey thanks guys out there.

Making kind of a tribute to Foo races + research on the subject... (It's going better now that we have finally foo races uploaded ==> HERE.)
Progress: ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ 10% or so...
And also randomly here and there hosting the original Team Foo races!

"Your reputation on this post is Somewhat Positive."

Last edited by TheKax; Nov 5, 2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: I didnt think the size 4 for "space temple" was big enough for you to notice in an instant.

JCF Member

Nov 5, 2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kax View Post
I don't realy know if it is going the wrong way, but I actually would have wanted to see a templish tileset, something awe inspiring, and more ancient, more complicated and more sophisticated comparedt to the rabbits current culture... We kind of lack that kind of tileset... Yes, I'm pointing it in the way of something like starcraft's Xel'Naga and Jak&Daxter's precursors (google 'em.).
I'm worried that people are already tired about changing the whole theme, if that's what you're trying to suggest.

In my opinion we should stop adding tiles for a while (*like anyone would be adding any last times*) and edit the existing ones until they fit to the drawing style we choose. I recommend making everything fit to Devan statue, probably the best tiles in this LMAT. I wait for your opinions (especially from people which are planning to be active) and in weekend I'll try if I can help this thing.

JCF Member

Nov 5, 2010, 11:58 AM
but hey, what will happen with all those nice tiles?

JCF Member

Nov 6, 2010, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
I recommend making everything fit to Devan statue, probably the best tiles in this LMAT
You kidding??? That thing probably only took 5 minutes...
But whatever. The theme isn't the issue, I agree. It's a good, relatively unique one, and a good tileset could be made with it. I really don't want to start all over, either. Perhaps I could have a go at modifying some of those tiles, but all I really do is blur them with a dark outline.

EDIT:
This is sort of along the lines of what I mean:

You get a cartoony look, but you instantly lose all the texture detail.
Oh, and while the original uses 281 colours (for those three tiles), the modified one uses 1,340. Colour reduction is going to be a nightmare for this set.

Last edited by Obi1mcd; Nov 6, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
TheKax

JCF Member

TheKax is doing well so far

Nov 13, 2010, 08:43 AM
True, I just love the Devan statue. Would it be any better shuold we change the palette from blue hues to yellow ones? I might actually ty this out... I'm really wanting to put my paint shop pro 7 into use (albeit I stole it from school's computer class... It works with files copied on a USB stick :S ), and palette suite, too.

Obi1, your idea for cartoonier look is not any bad, but I agree, color reduction = murder.

PS. "the original uses 281 colours" three tiles? even that needs colour reduciton... you people are doing this in the order tiles first, palette second... I wuold possibly have done the palette first but whatever. Hope the reduction goes well.

PS2. I reall want the labrat belts deleted. They don't fit in at all.

PS3. I handled a colour reduction (quite poorly to admit), made it a palette that contains some gradients to use as well as the usual JJ2 colours, but I know I made it hastily and it mostly sucks, as might be visible in the image itself. But at least it is in (IMO) better colour scheme and has a 256 colour palette... No s*** I forgot the empty top row in palette in my haste... Compiling errors a plenty... I was going to upload it but now I think doing that is a mistake. It's still here, but do not consider this a canonical edit since I mostly ruinde the flames and the star background.

But here is it. Shame on me, job not well done.

I hope you still get the idea for what I wish it to look like. And we need tiles for arcane constructions, gears.

It seem JCF administration got a move on since my name got "finally" changed. But hey thanks guys out there.

Making kind of a tribute to Foo races + research on the subject... (It's going better now that we have finally foo races uploaded ==> HERE.)
Progress: ▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄ 10% or so...
And also randomly here and there hosting the original Team Foo races!

"Your reputation on this post is Somewhat Positive."

Last edited by TheKax; Nov 13, 2010 at 09:15 AM.

JCF Member

Nov 13, 2010, 10:00 AM
where did you see yellow space? :P It's more like blue, dark blue, and black. But if you wanted to suit this as a temple, then good job. I like it, maybe too colors are lost. We really should try to edit black background. It takes a lot of colors. And if we're going to make this again, we should start with orange/red/yellow theme.

JCF Member

Nov 13, 2010, 10:15 AM
We really should actually do a new base to this tileset, it still looks too much like SE's original. And, what happens if we make these tiles into red theme...?

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Nov 13, 2010, 10:32 AM
...well, yes, it continues to look like what it was based on, that's because the original tiles looked good in the first place. If we started over you could make the same complaint later down the line that the revised tileset would still look like whatever new tiles people first drew.