Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Anyone having trouble with their router, let's try this?

JCF Veteran

Tubz is doing well so far

Nov 9, 2004, 05:59 PM
Anyone having trouble with their router, let's try this?

Well. This worked for me, I asked my friend. Let's see if his plan works for any of you.

1) Go into your router configuration
2) For Linux routers go to: Setup - DHCP tab, or for Belkin routers go to the: Lan Settings tab
3) Uncheck the box that says to use DHCP

Ok, now that you have disabled DHCP, you have to immediately do this, this is making Windows manually recognize your router, with DHCP, the router would do this for you, however, the router also would not be able to use port forwarding.:
4) Go to: Start - Network Connections.
5) Now find your router and double click on it
6) Click properties
7) Double click: Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
8) For both raido buttons, choose to insert the information yourself by clicking "Use the following IP Address" and "Use the following DNS server addresses"
9) Now go to Start - Run
10) Type in: ipconfig
11) Alright, manually type in the: IP Address, Subnet Mask, & Default Gateway into the boxes where it asks for those, in the TCP/IP properties. Now for DNS mask, you only need a primary, as a secondary is backup. If you do not know your DNS mask, then for the primary, input your Default Gateway
12) For the secondary you can use: "192.168.1.1"
13) Click ok, and the click ok

This is why you have to configure Windows immediately after disabling DHCP:
Quote:
but once you disable it if you dont manually config when your computer looks for the dchp server and its down your connection will do down
Now, hopefully you can finally play games, and host.

"Jewel is the Metallica of Yodelling." ~Edwin McCain
"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005

Last edited by Derivative; Nov 9, 2004 at 06:12 PM.
GlydeBane

JCF Member

GlydeBane is doing well so far

Dec 1, 2004, 08:24 AM
Blast. I'm running Win98, and I can't seem to find my router settings or something. I know my dad installed some D-link air plus thing, and ever since then I've gotten symptoms of having a router. Anyways, in the D-link options and such there is no DHCP or whatever, and Start > Network Connections dosen't exist in 98 (apparently) Any help?
Zerg

JCF Member

Zerg is doing well so far

Dec 1, 2004, 09:14 AM
Help i have win 98 and i can't play for more than 30 seconds in jazz jackrabbit's servers. bye

JCF Veteran

Dec 1, 2004, 10:55 AM
Ok, you two both.

-Go to start-run, type "winipcfg"
-Keep this window minimized

-Go into internet explorer
-NOTE: I'm not sure how Linux routers work, you might just have to type in "http://192.168.2.1"

If the NOTE didn't work, then follow these step
-Go back to that window, find default gateway and type that into the internet explorer address bad
-Meaning: "http://[default gateway].com

"Yes, it's a personal attack if you save my picture about internet safety" ~Labratkid
"You know what JBL? The only reason you were WWE Champion for a year was because Triple H didn't want to work Tuesdays!" ~Paul Heyman, addressing the public at the "ECW: One Night Stand" PPV on Sunday, June 12, 2005
Nimrod

JCF Member

Nimrod has disabled reputation

Dec 1, 2004, 11:14 AM
turning off a DHCP server on a home router should NEVER be done unless the user is experienced.

You can still set a manual IP while leaving DHCP on.

Please DO NOT advise home users to turn off DHCP, you could end up with a lot more trouble than you started with.

Stealth Admin

Torkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legendTorkell is a forum legend

Dec 1, 2004, 12:58 PM
I second that, especially if you have multiple computers behind the router. Turning off DHCP should only be done when you know *exactly* what you're doing and what the implications are (which quite often means that the other computers on the network can't get at the internet unless you set them up with static IPs too).

If you want to view the current IP settings, then under Windows 95/98/ME run winipcfg. Under Windows 2k/XP, run "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt (start > run > "cmd"). Both will show you details of all adapters in your computer, so check you're looking at the right information.

If you want to change the IP settings, then under Windows 95/98/ME go to Control Panel and then Network, then modify the settings for TCP/IP with the network card you use. Under 2000/XP, go to Network and Dialup Connections, then right-click on the network connection you use and pick Properties.

Nowadays, most routers (and for that matter, most dedicated DHCP servers) will give the same IP to the same computer each time if they can. I'll bet that when I head home at the end of term, my PC gets the same address it had when I left two months ago. DHCP should not normally be an issue. If it is, then instead of disabling DHCP manually configure your computer with a static IP somewhere out of the way of DHCP (e.g. x.x.x.200). Valid IP numbers, BTW, are from 1 to 254. The router usually sits on x.x.x.1. Generally you should set the defualt gateway and the DNS server to the address of your router, but do check first as some are set up differently. The subnet mask should usually be whatever windows suggests. If in doubt, try 255.255.255.0, then 255.255.0.0, then 255.0.0.0. If none of those work then either you got something wrong earlier or you have an odd network setup.

Note that this is unlikely to help except when your DHCP server is assigning you different IP addresses every time you start your computer. If you always get the same IP address every time, then this will not help.

Errors and omissions excepted, YMMV, do at your own risk, blah blah blah...
If in doubt, find someone who *knows* about networking (and doesn't merely think they know because they bought a fancy do-it-all-for-you router system and left it at the defualts), and tell them what's going on.

Coney

JCF Member

Coney is doing well so far

Dec 1, 2004, 08:29 PM
would disabling the windows proxy help?If so how do I do it.

JCF Veteran

Dec 2, 2004, 09:51 AM
I don't know about Linksys routers. But It's an issue with Belkin routers, ahem I did not know what I was doing, and my internet worked perfectly, I already warned people of the consequences of doing this. I followed my firend's step-by-step instructions in which I posted here.

Like I said, this is kind of a LAST resort thing to do. DHTP is sort of the problem, It's the reason at least for my router, why I can't port forward, It's not like any of you could figure oiut what was wrong after I port forwarded.

Oh and BoggyB, I am going to be straight with you here. I'm not sure if you've ever turned off DHTP or tried messing with it, because this WAS the only thing that got my router to work, so correction, it possibly will work. I'm not so sure about Linksys people, but probably for Belkin.

I'm not sure about multiple computers, as I was still tinkering with them, I should have warned people about that. Um, but why would you have a router if you have only one pc?

Stealth Admin

Dec 4, 2004, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derivative
I don't know about Linksys routers. But It's an issue with Belkin routers, ahem I did not know what I was doing, and my internet worked perfectly, I already warned people of the consequences of doing this. I followed my firend's step-by-step instructions in which I posted here.

Like I said, this is kind of a LAST resort thing to do. DHTP is sort of the problem, It's the reason at least for my router, why I can't port forward, It's not like any of you could figure oiut what was wrong after I port forwarded.
Belkin stuff sucks anyway (IMO). You do *not* want to know what they did with one router to advertise some parental control feature. Suffice to say they got flamed heavily for it. Nobody likes it when a router hijacks random HTTP connections.

Quote:
Oh and BoggyB, I am going to be straight with you here. I'm not sure if you've ever turned off DHTP or tried messing with it, because this WAS the only thing that got my router to work, so correction, it possibly will work. I'm not so sure about Linksys people, but probably for Belkin.
I have set up systems with DHCP both disabled and enabled. If you know what you're doing, disabling DHCP can make setting up filesharing over TCP a lot easier. If you don't know what you're doing, then it's best to leave it on as then things usually just work. Not everyone knows a lot about networking.

Quote:
I'm not sure about multiple computers, as I was still tinkering with them, I should have warned people about that. Um, but why would you have a router if you have only one pc?
With multiple computers if you disable DHCP you then have to set a static IP on every computer. Miss one and it'll stop talking to the internet within a day (depending on how the DHCP system has been done in the router).

Most consumer routers (e.g. the ones you can buy from PC World) are actually NAT boxes. These basically make lots of computers look like one computer to the outside world. A nice (or not so nice if you're trying to host a server) side-effect is that nobody can connect to any of your computers unless you connected to them first or opened the port on the router. Goodbye RPC worms!

JCF Member

Sonyk is doing well so far

Feb 7, 2005, 07:25 PM
Sorry for reviving this if it is dead, or for not paying much attention to where it says in the gateway FAQ about most people not being able to help me, but I'm still unable to get JJ2 to work online. If it helps, I'm using a WIreless B Linksys router, model number, I can't remember.

A rundown of what I've done so far:
1. Forwarded ports 10052-10054, Both TCP and UDP, to 192.168.2.20, my LAN address.
2. Increased my MTU.
3. Turned of DHCP (all of my PCs were manually configured anyway)
4. Succuessfully hosted a game for approx. 1 hour.
5. Tried connecting to another server, got 30 second timeouts again.

Then from that point on, the same things would happen to me, 30 second timeouts, my servers only lasting about a min. on the list server...

Again, I'm sorry for revivng a 2 month old topic, but there's still no way I can connect to a server, or host another without it dropping from the list server, or by getting disconnected.

If it matters to anybody, this is my first post, so noob bash me if you must before helping me.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can solve my problem.

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Feb 8, 2005, 10:28 AM
Netgear think it is enough if you only can host your games online.
Fools.

JCF Member

Feb 8, 2005, 02:36 PM
With all due respect and whatnot, that didn't really solve my problem. Especially since I don't use Netgear products. Even if I can't get it to work now, I just want to know what caused it to work that one time, to see if I can replicate it. Is there anyone who can try and help me?

JCF Veteran

Feb 8, 2005, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyk
Sorry for reviving this if it is dead, or for not paying much attention to where it says in the gateway FAQ about most people not being able to help me, but I'm still unable to get JJ2 to work online. If it helps, I'm using a WIreless B Linksys router, model number, I can't remember.

A rundown of what I've done so far:
1. Forwarded ports 10052-10054, Both TCP and UDP, to 192.168.2.20, my LAN address.
2. Increased my MTU.
3. Turned of DHCP (all of my PCs were manually configured anyway)
4. Succuessfully hosted a game for approx. 1 hour.
5. Tried connecting to another server, got 30 second timeouts again.

Then from that point on, the same things would happen to me, 30 second timeouts, my servers only lasting about a min. on the list server...

Again, I'm sorry for revivng a 2 month old topic, but there's still no way I can connect to a server, or host another without it dropping from the list server, or by getting disconnected.

If it matters to anybody, this is my first post, so noob bash me if you must before helping me.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can solve my problem.
Did you try lowering the MTU number? Mine is set on 1 or 0 or something, because it can't take the default number, it has trouble loading pages. If all else fails you could always kill off the router. Kll the Windows Firewall, that is said to cause problems or try to let windows unblock your games by adding them to the firewall proof list, get Service Pack 2 if you haven't already.

JCF Member

Feb 8, 2005, 04:22 PM
MTU at 1? I thought the minimum was 560 or something like that...

Anyway, I need the MTU, otherwise I get interminate connections, but lowering it didn't seem to help. I don't use any firewalls when I play JJ2 (I've always kept the Windows Firewall off) and I already have SP2. Though I don't know what you mean by "Kill off the router."

A little elaboration please, if it's not too much to ask.

JCF Member

aokmaniac13 is doing well so far

Feb 8, 2005, 04:34 PM
Regarding linksys routers: If you are experiencing problems with it, and none of the above fixes are working, it is because the product itself is flawed.

I searched through many a customer review on the linksys routers and have found two things in common

1. Customers praise ease of installation.
2. The product sucks anyway.

Don't buy! It's cheap but not worth it! I've spent 140 bucks on two of them only to have them not work. I quickly fixed the problem by equipping my pc with a brand new wireless network card ^_^

@Sonyk
If you don't handle SP2 correctly, it'll screw with you more than you know, learned the hard way :P

There's always the "manual hard labor" fix for these kinds of problems as well.
It involves unplugging the router at the first sign of trouble and plugging it back in after ten seconds... repeatedly...

JCF Member

Newspaz has disabled reputation

Feb 8, 2005, 04:37 PM
I agree. I've seen three broken Linksys routers within half a year now. Of which two were straight out of the box. I'd rather buy some even cheaper Sweex thing myself, you may have to reset that one a little more often, but at least it'll keep working.

Stealth Admin

Feb 8, 2005, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derivative
Did you try lowering the MTU number? Mine is set on 1 or 0 or something, because it can't take the default number, it has trouble loading pages.
I'd be very impressed if you got anything working on a MTU of 0 or 1, considering that's smaller than an ethernet packet header.

I've done some digging, and for a ADSL connection it appears you should set the MTU to 1428. Higher is not good, as above a certain value (1492 I think) you will get extra packet fragmentation that adds a lot of overhead. The default of 1500 for windows is a particularly nasty one becuase you get both fragmentation and extra overhead (MS chose it as being a nice round number for ethernet, where you can use nice big MTUs without suffering as much).

So Sonyk, I'd try dropping the MTU to 1428. Other ones to try are 1458 and 1492, though I think 1492 gives fragmentation somewhere in the ISP. You should find that it generally speeds things up (less overhead and fragmentation).

JCF Member

Feb 8, 2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the info on Linksys, for it'll be the last time I get anything from them.

You're probably right about it, because anything I ever tried to use port forwarding with failed. Each and every single thing. There may be a way I can bypass the router... but it's just a mere fantasy for me, since at the time, that won't be happening.

Thanks again, though sadly I still have timeouts...

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Feb 8, 2005, 10:47 PM
There's always DMZ, which you can use after turning your Windows Firewall back on. It's also a good way to see if your router is a problem or not.
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

Olsen is doing well so far

Feb 9, 2005, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyk
With all due respect and whatnot, that didn't really solve my problem. Especially since I don't use Netgear products. Even if I can't get it to work now, I just want to know what caused it to work that one time, to see if I can replicate it. Is there anyone who can try and help me?
It wasen´t meant to solve your problem. I have a netgear router. I was telling you guys my problem (though a little too undetailed :P)

JCF Member

Mar 4, 2005, 07:20 PM
Sorry for reviving this thing, I just feel it's better to post here than start a new topic.
So, I've gotten this far... I just went and tried to play a game WITHOUT the router, no interfearance whatsoever, but, I still got timeouts and server drops. So I've concluded this much, it's not my router, it's my modem...

Anyone know anything about Westel DSL modems?

JCF Member

blurredd is an asset to this forumblurredd is an asset to this forum

Mar 4, 2005, 07:28 PM
Nope, but I have one and it doesn't seem to use a firewall. What model do you have?
ATB Contest. Scripting Language.
Gameplay Theories.
1UP. Pitfall. Desolation.
SC2.

JCF Member

Mar 4, 2005, 07:35 PM
According to the browser interface...

WireSpeed Dual Connect
Model A90-210030-04

JCF Member

Mar 5, 2005, 04:58 AM
This might help some people...
After I almost gave up... I came across my modem's NAT Configuration... The ports weren't open in my router...

So, I set it up so that Jazz 2's ports were open and forwarded to my router. Then, turned on port forwarding in my router, and then, I could host for longer than a minute again.

For anyone else this may concern...

(This is assuming that all Westell Modems are the same in interface)

1. Connect to your modem's browser interface, by default 192.168.1.254
2. Click on expert mode, then click on "yes."
3. Click on configuration, then under that, click on NAT.
4. Now, click on "Define Custom Service"
5. Choose "Port Fowarding Ranges of Ports"
6. In the Service name, put Jazz2 or something, and in the global port range, put 10052 - 10054, in the base host port, put 10052.
7. Choose TCP, under protocol.
8. Now, click on "add."
9. This time, fill all the boxes with "10052."
10. Under protocol, choose "UDP"
11. Click next, then click close.
12. Now, in the drop-down list, choose *Jazz2 (or whatever you named it.)(an * is placed beside all custom ports)
13. Now click "enable"
14. Under the host device list in the pop-up that appears, choose the MAC address of your router (normally, it's just a long string of numbers, usually the only one, it probably *won't* contain dashes) or if you're only one computer, choose your computer's name.
15. You're done! Try hosting now.

I haven't tried seeing weither you can join through this, but my guess is that it'd probably work.

EDIT: Apparently not. For some reason, you can only host through this.
EDITEDIT: Apparently so, as it will SOMETIMES work, but hosting appears to ALWAYS work.

Last edited by Sonyk; Mar 6, 2005 at 04:25 PM.