Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

I challenge you.

FireSworD

JCF Member

FireSworD is an asset to this forumFireSworD is an asset to this forum

May 4, 2005, 01:05 PM
I challenge you.

I am not sure wether this is possible or not but I think it's worth a try:

Lately I've been wondering if it's possible to have a player stay in a constant ball state; In case you're wondering, this would be very usefull for levels that include a pinball table of some sort. The whole point of this topic is to see if anyone who would be interested could take the challenge and maybe succeed. What's in it for you? Well, maybe the satisfaction of discovering something new, maybe you'll even recieve some praise for it.

Remember, the player must stay in a ball state, even while the player is being bounced around the level.

Use of freeze enemies do not count.

Last edited by FireSworD; May 5, 2005 at 10:15 AM.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

May 4, 2005, 01:14 PM
It could be possible by using the super-speed suckertube trick found here: http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showthread.php?t=12448 or, if you don't want to read through all of it, here: http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showp...8&postcount=11

The player, because of the sheer speed he's travelling at, will stay 'balled up' for many seconds. He will unroll himself by jumping (or shooting, I *think*) while on the ground. He will stay balled up if you just walk left or right. You could keep him ball-shaped by not enabling a ground and adding a lot of suckertubes in the lvl and preventing him from touching the ground. This, however, cannot stop the player from buttstomping unless you add so many tubes that he'll just end up going around in circles. That's all I can add. I guess that the job of finding the anwer to your question, FS, lies in the hands of my apprentice (whoever posts next ;P).

EDIT: http://www.jazz2online.com/jcf/showp...1&postcount=12 <--- me telling about the long balled-up period. Also visit #jcstalk if you don't want to wait for an answer, FS (see my signature).

Last edited by White Rabbit; May 4, 2005 at 01:29 PM.

JCF Member

FQuist is an asset to this forumFQuist is an asset to this forum

May 4, 2005, 03:46 PM
Yeah, FS will find MANY helpful people in #JCStalk, who I'm sure will solve this.

Interesting Jazz-related links:
Thread: Gameplay Theories - Thread: Make Up Your Own Gametype

Spotify.fm

JCF Member

May 5, 2005, 07:31 AM
Frank, young apprentice! You are the chosen one!

Oh, and FS, what exactly do you mean by making the player stay balled up forever? Do you mean that the player must stay stationary balled up, balled up even if he tries to 'unball' him self or is it something else?
FireSworD

JCF Member

May 5, 2005, 08:07 AM
Well it would be useless to have someone be a ball and then break out of that state. Make sure that one would stay in it, if you can.

I guess it doesn't have to be forever (nothing in this universe lasts forever anyway). It has to last long enough to *seem* like it's going on forever, if you know what I mean.

JCF Member

May 5, 2005, 08:24 AM
Well that's easy, but it involves suckertubes with no exits. ;P

JCF Member

LittleFreak is doing well so far

May 5, 2005, 09:55 AM
One thing I'm wondering about is what that would be useful for.

(nothing against this thread, I'm just wondering )

JCF Member

May 5, 2005, 10:13 AM
Quote:
In case you're wondering, this would be very usefull for levels that include a pinball table of some sort.
Ahem.

JCF Member

May 5, 2005, 10:15 AM
=o

Excuse my stupidity.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

May 6, 2005, 02:13 AM
ok heres some ideas

Fill the pinball area with tubes
Advantage: Hilarious to watch.
Disadvantage: You can't move on your own.

Have people on the sides constantly shooting ice into the area.
Advantage: It is not freeze enemies.
Disadvantage: It is basically the same effect.

Make a tileset which has a giant pinball and put it in the foreground so it looks like you are a pinball.
Advantage: a new tileset
Disadvantage: This is a dumb idea.

Hack JJ2
Advantage: ?????
Disadvantage: ?????

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

May 6, 2005, 12:29 PM
I really like the pinball tileset idea. (Which is a given since EvilMike called it a dumb idea ;P )

JCF Member

May 6, 2005, 01:25 PM
My maste....my piece!

I've made a simple lvl and it's possible to stay balled up for several seconds at a time, but the lvl will make the player warp back to the super-speed tubes in order to 'reload' the player's ball state. This kind of system wouldn't be very useful in most lvl modes, but, theoretically, you can make a lvl like this:

It involves triggers, warps, a LOT of empty space, lots of suckertubes, pinbal flippers (these will keep the player balled up most of the time), pinball bumpers (placed in key positions so that ppl will hit one before they unroll themselves...same goes for the suckertubes). So far so good.

There are no springs, because ALL springs, even those in crates, disappear after you use the super-speed suckertube. There should be poles, which temporarily makes the player into a ball and warps to take players regularly to superspeed suckertubes. Oh, and the warps and poles should be hidden by foreground layers so that ppl can't see themselves unballed (haha I'm so fiendlishly clever ).

Anyway, the lvl I have created is just a beta, has hardly any gameplay, and has only got some very basic stuff in it. Plz don't upload it ANYWHERE without my permission. DL here. Don't forget to visit the rest of the site. I recommend you try TESTTRACK2 first, because that's the one with the most stuff, as well as the only one that doesn't give amnesia errors.

EDIT: My host (www.beplaced.com) may not like you, so if you cannot DL the .zip file, gimme your email via PM so I can mail it to you. Oh, and I need a few courageous souls to come and complain about this DL problem and force beplaced.com to fix this culprit once and for all.

EDIT 2: You *could* just download from the link provided at teaparty.beplaced.com if nothing works. Plz don't feed the whale. It has put itself on a strict diet because I've, unfortunately, been giving it too much fruit and sugar.

Last edited by White Rabbit; May 6, 2005 at 01:43 PM.

JCF Member

May 7, 2005, 01:33 AM
White Rabbit, which tileset do those test level things use?

JCF Member

May 7, 2005, 04:19 AM
Any tileset can be used...but I used 7th Lava Fall. Oh, did I need to include that? I forgot.. WHAT?! YOU DON'T HAVE 7TH LAVA FALL, LF!??!?!?!!??!?!??!?!

JCF Member

May 7, 2005, 04:46 AM
I'm using another computer because the one I'm using normally is broken. I did have to install jj2 on this one, and therefore I didn't have 7th Lava Fall. I know where to download it though, thanks.

JCF Member

May 7, 2005, 04:53 AM
I'm using another computer because the one I'm using normally is broken. I did have to install jj2 on this one, and therefore I didn't have 7th Lava Fall. I know where to download it though, thanks.

EDIT:

The first level gives me an amnesia error right at the start. The second I don't understand. It makes you balled for a short amount of time and you can move, but I did not really understand where to go and how to get it right.

JCF Member

May 7, 2005, 01:29 PM
The 2nd lvl doesn't actually have a purpose. It's solely experimental but the blue print is there. You just need to actually use what I've got for a lvl, and add a bunch of other stuff, which I've mentioned in my last post, in order to make it seem as if the player is always balled up.
Lark

JCF Member

Lark has disabled reputation

May 7, 2005, 02:02 PM
Well, I know there's an address for the ball state, and if you trigger it with a memory editor you'll always look like a ball. But I don't know what it is, so you're out of luck there. Ask Pyro about it.

Of course, this would be a disadvantage because people would need to run a trainer (or a memory editting program themselves if nobody bothers to make one) every time they want to play.

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

May 8, 2005, 06:38 AM
I really think this is impossible

JCF Member

May 8, 2005, 07:57 AM
There's a lot more possible with JCS than most people think.

JCF Member

May 8, 2005, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok
I really think this is impossible
I've talked to FS and he said that my system (in the swishswosh lvl) could be used, with some changes, to make it seem as if the player is always rolling. Also, FS said that ppl can just be tricked into believing that they are always balled up when they're not. It's perfectly possible..I even wrote a long post about it, which maybe you didn't read?

JCF Member

Black Ninja is an asset to this forumBlack Ninja is an asset to this forum

May 8, 2005, 08:13 AM
It might be possible to hack JJ2 to accomplish this. I will experiment with this and see if I can come up with a program.

Banned

Odin is doing well so far

May 8, 2005, 08:15 AM
I really think the pinball tileset would be the best option, since we could do stuff like make decals for a Jazz Jackrabbit pinball game, and such.

JCF Member

May 8, 2005, 08:16 AM
But hacking has more to do with competence with programming and knowledge of JJ2 memory editing, rather than of JCS and the game itself.
Ragnarok!

JCF Member

Ragnarok! is a forum legendRagnarok! is a forum legend

May 10, 2005, 02:05 PM
++WR.

JCF Member

May 11, 2005, 02:00 PM
Anyone else got any other bright non-hacking ideas that will help to cover up the holes in mine? ;P

++Ragnarok.

JCF Member

Murderbeam is doing well so far

May 11, 2005, 04:31 PM
Cool.

As far as I know, The ball thing in Testtrack2 might be the gunless thing involving tweedle. Just a opinion.

And by the way, That might be able to be implented into a level or something like that,

I Don't care about caring.
Enjoy your malware-infested computer at the price of a few annoying animated GIF smilies! - Odin

G