Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Host Problems

-:-Darker-:-

JCF Member

-:-Darker-:- is doing well so far

Aug 1, 2005, 02:20 PM
Host Problems

I am having problems with hosting a server. First, I opened port 10052-10054 UDP and TCP. Then I reset my router and modem, and then I reset my machine. I allowed JJ2 to connect through my McAffe firewall. Then I updated my jj2 version and got the latest list server. Finally, I hosted the server.

Now, I try to go to the GIP.php on j2o and get the info of the server, but it says it either cant be pinged, etc.... I'm using my internet through wireless. Any help? Thnx Also I use Windows XP.

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Aug 1, 2005, 03:38 PM
Some routers don't seem to forward UDP properly. Try using port triggering instead. What brand/model of router do you have?
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

JCF Member

Aug 1, 2005, 07:08 PM
WGT624

Tell me more about port triggering

JCF Member

Aug 1, 2005, 08:11 PM
Hi... I'm out of options. I forwared TCP UDP ports 10052 to 10054... I even forwarded 10053 to 54 and triggered TCP 10052, and UDP 10052. Nope, nothing worked. At all. ( I also tried DMZ on the router, and I even shut off my firewalls with all of the combo's above and with DMZ )

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Aug 1, 2005, 09:14 PM
Could you try completely bypassing the router? (Connect your computer directly to your high-speed modem). If it works doing that, it would at least rule out ISP and software problems.
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

JCF Member

Aug 2, 2005, 01:21 AM
Ok I just gave up on hosting... But now I have another problem! Even with my 10052 to 10054 udp tcp open on my firewall ( put them all on exceptions on windows firewall ) and on my router.. well, let's say im having the timeout problem again.

I'm just going to give up on hosting jj2, and... I don't know. It's probably my router and I can't afford to replace it ATM. Any other things I can try... If you could list them here, It would be great!

JCF Member

Crono5 is doing well so far

Aug 2, 2005, 11:00 AM
Question: are you logging into the internet with your modem or router, does your modem have a config page with settings on it? Lots of routers these days are gateways and function as both a modem and a router so if you forward ports on your router it wont matter as they'll still be blocked on the Modem/Gateway's NAT. There are two solutions to this: it's possible to forward through both NATs, there's a tutorial on DSLReports.com; the other, more efficiant way, is to put the modem into bridge mode and let the router handle everything.

If this ISN'T the case and your modem doesn't act as a gateway then it could be your router. If you have a NetGear router, then that's likley your problem right there. From my experiences, NetGear equipment cannot forward UDP ports (it has the option but it doesn't work). Luckily, the DMZ option (which forwards all ports to the specified computer) does work with UDP. DMZ can be found under WAN Config in netgear routers (I think). If you have an older router this should get everything working fine and you'll never have to worry about port forwarding again unfortunatly you'll run into some problems if you have a newer netgear router. New Netgear equipment has a new "feature" known as a DMZ port (I think this was desgined to make it easier for people who are too stupid to set a static LAN IP for their computer). What this does is makes whatever computer plugged into that port DMZed and ONLY that meaning it's impossible to set a wireless computer as DMZed so in that case your best bet is to buy a new router.