Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Issues in Windows 7

MasterRyu

JCF Member

MasterRyu is doing well so far

Jun 23, 2015, 09:52 PM
Issues in Windows 7

I have noticed some minor issues playing the game in Windows 7 (these occur with the vanilla and Jazz2+ version of an EXE patched to version 1.23):

1.) Microstutter - the scrolling is somewhat stuttery. No amount of messing with program compatibility options/forcing vsync on and off in the Nvidia control panel remedied this. In software mode the game claims to be constantly flipping between 59 and 60 FPS, and in hardware mode it claims to be locked at 70, yet the stutter is present in both (but I don't use hardware mode, as for some reason I get noticeable slowdown while, for example firing more than a few rockets, whereas it runs fine, other than the stutter, in the software mode)

2.) The spotlight fadeout effect at the end of the level doesn't fire most of the time for some reason - this is very minor of course.

Pertinent Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit Professional w/ latest updates
Core i7 2600K
8GB DDR3
Gigabyte Geforce 660 Windforce OC w/ latest drivers

The scrolling was smooth and skip free on my old Pentium/Pentium II and I believe even the XP and Vista machines. It's certainly not unplayable, but the skipping is very noticeable, and some sort of workaround would be much appreciated.

Super Moderator

ShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legendShadowGPW is a forum legend

Jun 23, 2015, 11:15 PM
I don't recommend using hardware mode, especially not with a powerfull PC like that. HW mode even disables some effects. Funny fact, my P166 MMX was able to run Software mode at a decent FPS.

That your FPS is locked at 59 and 60 FPS is not so strange, your monitor is (most likely) capped at 60 hrz. Mine hits at 120 FPS because my monitor is native running at 120 hrz

However, there is away to overrule the 60 fps cap but i'm not sure how that works.

S.H.A.D.O.W.: (aka Ins0mnia)
Synthetic Hydraulic Android Designed for Observation and Warfare

Mystic Legends
http://www.mysticlegends.org

Follow me on twitter: @Ins0mnia
Follow us on twitter: @Mystic_Legends
MasterRyu

JCF Member

Jun 24, 2015, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGPW View Post
I don't recommend using hardware mode, especially not with a powerfull PC like that. HW mode even disables some effects. Funny fact, my P166 MMX was able to run Software mode at a decent FPS.

That your FPS is locked at 59 and 60 FPS is not so strange, your monitor is (most likely) capped at 60 hrz. Mine hits at 120 FPS because my monitor is native running at 120 hrz

However, there is away to overrule the 60 fps cap but i'm not sure how that works.
In my original post I state as an aside that I don't use hardware mode because I get nasty framerate drops in certain instances, like firing multiple rockets. I understand that the game has built-in Vsync, but I'm confused as to why for some reason it can't keep a locked 60 (which is probably why I'm getting the stuttering), though in hardware mode the game claims I'm at 70 FPS constant and yet I still see the stutter, so I don't know how accurate the in-game FPS readout is. I've tried any number of things to eliminate the stutter to no avail, this may just be a case of this almost 20 year old game and my modern hardware/OS/DirectX clashing. At least it is playable, the stutter is just annoying. Thanks in advance for any help.

JCF Member

Slaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHARTSlaz is OFF DA CHART

Jun 24, 2015, 11:34 AM
Keep in mind that the 70 FPS notation from vanilla JJ2 is apparently fake. The actual FPS on newer systems is normally a lot higher.

JJ2 does some minor stuttering for me as well.

That said, I don't think there's currently a way to force the FPS to cap at a specific value. It appeared to cap at the monitor refresh rate on CRT displays, giving that smooth stutterless animation, but it doesn't do that on my current LCD display (not even on Windows 98 and XP).

Maybe a JJ2 FPS limiter could be a good Plus suggestion?
MasterRyu

JCF Member

Jun 24, 2015, 03:31 PM
I'm getting used to the stuttering, unfortunately the game has a habit of randomly crashing at times with an Access Violation.

JCF Member

Treylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legendTreylina is a forum legend

Jun 24, 2015, 03:57 PM
Are you using a laptop? All of the time I noticed whenever I played JJ2 on a laptop, there would be microstuttering. The FPS counter means nothing when it comes to microstuttering, the game won't notice it.

Which version of JJ2+ you using? 4.3 is notorious for randomly crashing at level cycles (if so, update it plz).

Jazz Jackrabbit group: https://discord.gg/vZm95tQ
MasterRyu

JCF Member

Jun 24, 2015, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treylina View Post
Are you using a laptop? All of the time I noticed whenever I played JJ2 on a laptop, there would be microstuttering. The FPS counter means nothing when it comes to microstuttering, the game won't notice it.

Which version of JJ2+ you using? 4.3 is notorious for randomly crashing at level cycles (if so, update it plz).
Nope, the components I listed in my first post are desktop grade components housed in a Cooler Master full tower with more than ample cooling. This issue is specific to JJ2/JJ2's engine as I have not had microstutter in other games, or even equally old games. As for the version of JJ2+ used, I'm not sure as I deleted the archive after applying it, but as I downloaded the latest version from ModDB a few weeks back I have to imagine it was the latest. Regardless, I get the microstuttering/Access Violation crashes in both vanilla 1.23 and the latest version of JJ2+ so I don't think it's an issue with JJ2+

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jun 24, 2015, 09:36 PM
JJ2+ hasn't supported hardware mode since 4.2, so I'm guessing that part only applies to the regular exe. Are you playing in windowed or full-screen mode?

JCF Member

Jun 25, 2015, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
JJ2+ hasn't supported hardware mode since 4.2, so I'm guessing that part only applies to the regular exe. Are you playing in windowed or full-screen mode?
The Microstutter/sporadic Access Violation crashes occur in both software and hardware mode, and in both windowed and fullscreen mode.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Jun 25, 2015, 09:57 AM
Micro stuttering is out of my personal field of interest but if your JJ2+ 5.0 (patch version is visible in the bottom left corner of the main menu) really, at any point other than saving / loading the game, in conditions other than playing a scripted level, reports an access violation, I would like to know the content of its message.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
MasterRyu

JCF Member

Jun 25, 2015, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
Micro stuttering is out of my personal field of interest but if your JJ2+ 5.0 (patch version is visible in the bottom left corner of the main menu) really, at any point other than saving / loading the game, in conditions other than playing a scripted level, reports an access violation, I would like to know the content of its message.
*facepalm*...wow, I just realized that I ran the plusifier program without also moving all the files in the archive into my Jazz 2 folder, I guess I just assumed the changes were in effect, after moving the files I see the new title screen etc. and the version number. Played through the first episode without a crash, so I think I'm good there - the microstutter was initially annoying, but I've gotten used to it. It is what it is I guess, have to expect some minor issues with a game almost 20 years old. Thank you, and thanks to everyone else in the thread, I appreciate the effort.

Now if only Epic would release a new Jazz Jackrabbit title using UE4.....