Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Hate for Windows XP. Screwed over by chkdsk (AGAIN X.X)

Kaz

JCF Member

Kaz has disabled reputation

Jul 24, 2003, 12:31 AM
Hate for Windows XP. Screwed over by chkdsk (AGAIN X.X)

Okay, < story>

XP has a lot of compatibility problems, one of the worst in my opinion are the crashes with one of my favorite games: The elder scrolls 3: Morrowind. While I tried over and over again to fix the problem, XP would usually keep dishing out BSODs. Anyways, I uninstalled the game to reinstall and hope it worked then (sometimes helps people). Then reinstalled, when XP started giving errors =\. I cleaned the disc just to make sure it wasn't the disc's fault, it wasn't. So after it reboots from getting a BSOD from a new CD inserted, I forget to skip chkdsk. Big mistake.

< /story>
Chkdsk ran over my system and found a lot of errors, nothing too hazardous, then it ran over C:\windows\system32\config. ... ow. It declared that directory as 'broken' (worked before though ;-;) and saved it into a file, where and how to revert? I don't know. Does anybody have a fix since windows basically puts up desktop wall paper configurations over actual stability?

Erm.. bottom line: Windows XP declared it's own registry (probably) as an invalid file. Need to figure out how to recover it.

Oh, I ran the back up program and stored the file on my other disk, the other disk however wont' show up in My Computer. Any ideas on that?

Untitled

Link is doing well so far

Jul 24, 2003, 09:33 AM
If you had all sorts of hard disk errors and are getting BSODs all the time, there's probably something else wrong, like a bad hard drive or bad hardware. Windows XP usually isn't suicidal.

Even if there isn't a hardware problem, it sounds like there is something terribly wrong with your system. Personally I would recommend a format and a fresh install of Windows. Then if that doesn't resolve it, you'll know it is a hardware problem.

I should ask though - when did these problems (the BSODs) start? And have they been fairly regular? What did they say? Is your computer at least semi-working right now? How old is the computer? What motherboard is in it? What kind of processor? Hard drives?
There still remains that strange precipitate
Which has the quality to resist
Our oldest and most trusted catalyst.
It is a substance we cannot cremate
By temperatures known to our Laboratory.

~ E.J. Pratt

JCF Member

BlazinDragon is doing well so far

Jul 24, 2003, 09:55 AM
geeze, im glad i dont have XP ^^' my computer has bugs and feels like committing suicide at least once a week, but i cant help ya there.

Only possibility i see is that u get the windows XP disc and re-install EVERYTHING.

After that, perform a few virus checks and see if it worked. Sorry if i cant help you further. =\
#1= 100%
#2= 100%
#3= 100%
#4= 100%
#5= 25%

~BlazinDragon
~Dragoon
~Firebolt
~Iced Killer
~KILLERRABBIT
Kaz

JCF Member

Kaz has disabled reputation

Jul 24, 2003, 03:22 PM
Erm, yeah, I guess you could say I've had HDD errors becusae I play morrowind and that BSOD's a lot which I guess would lead to corruption.

Anyways, I reinstalled windows XP. Now I just need to figure out how to restore everything.