Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » JCS & Scripting

LMAT 2011

JCF Member

Obi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHARTObi1mcd is OFF DA CHART

Oct 13, 2011, 03:27 AM
Hang on, though. A bright green signpost would look odd at the very least. Perhaps keep the brown palette, and make it look like it's made of wooden planks.

JCF Member

Toni_ is doing well so far

Oct 13, 2011, 10:08 AM
I tried everything and seems like everything failed. No idea how to make them. Any other color doesn't fit, and every style I tried drawing, failed in fitting with the tileset.

Sir Ementaler, could you make a broken fountain with snow on it? It would be good to see.
Ktos.

JCF Member

Ktos. is doing well so far

Oct 13, 2011, 02:17 PM

Not sure if you like it, its not octagonal. Actually that's that "aqueduct" idea, but I dont think that it can be used only in background tbh. If you dont like it, then I can try to edit it. I can also just add snow if you like it.

(I'll try to make a bigger aqueduct for the background later)

Last edited by Ktos.; Oct 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM.

JCF Member

Sean is a forum legendSean is a forum legend

Oct 13, 2011, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktos. View Post
Actually that that "aqueduct" idea,

JCF Member

Oct 14, 2011, 03:43 AM
bah, that's that*

Maybe we should add something like a big colloseum to the background instead of aqueduct?

JCF Member

Jgke is an asset to this forumJgke is an asset to this forum

Oct 14, 2011, 03:48 AM
Yeah, a colloseum would look good, but wouldn't a colosseum look better? :P

JCF Member

Oct 14, 2011, 06:25 AM
I'm pretty sure that a colloseum is 'straighter' than the Colosseum, so to speak.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Oct 14, 2011, 06:36 AM
Perspective was wrong, now it's fixed (or at least - better). Added snow version. I'm not very proud of it but I don't feel like working on it again anytime soon. I refuse to break the fountain, it took too much time to build in the first place. If you want it broken, do so yourself.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
Ktos.

JCF Member

Oct 14, 2011, 06:50 AM
Damn it, I'm making stupid mistakes last time.

Yeah, Colosseum idd.

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Oct 15, 2011, 06:54 AM
How do people feel about Violet's background tiles? Ofc their quality is decent and it doesn't matter they are hexagons instead of octagons, but I mean how many tiles they already take, and how many more would be necessary to make them work on layer 4. Maybe they should be kept for background layers and some other cave tiles could be made?

JCF Member

Oct 15, 2011, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ementaler View Post
hexagons instead of octagons
Now I finally see what was bugging me on them. Thanks.
But, people probably like something different than a simple palette swap for the bg...
Edit: Whoops, I broke something.

Last edited by Jgke; Oct 15, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Toni_

JCF Member

Oct 15, 2011, 09:14 AM
Quote:
How do people feel about Violet's background tiles? Ofc their quality is decent and it doesn't matter they are hexagons instead of octagons, but I mean how many tiles they already take, and how many more would be necessary to make them work on layer 4. Maybe they should be kept for background layers and some other cave tiles could be made?
I would like them to be more darker for this set, but, if there are gonna be some more versions of this tileset, for ex. Day and Night, they could look too dark.

I agree that their quality is decent, but we shouldn't reduce the number of tiles they take. They're there only for background I think. Could be added some animated lamps on it, but I'm not very good with animations.

Idea: How about adding some chains in this tileset. Also, some ruined buildings would help a lot in eyecandy. Something like Sean's tiles, they're excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Now I finally see what was bugging me on them. Thanks.
But, people probably like something different than a simple palette swap for the bg...
Thanks from me, too. I saw that they're too big, but they looked very weird. Now I see.

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Oct 15, 2011, 09:19 AM
Two points:
a) SE referred to increasing, not reducing, the number of tiles. This is because putting them in layer 4 would be a lot of work, since any other tile that could overlap them would potentially need at least three different versions, since the repeating texture is 3x1. That's a lot of added labor for the level designer and a lot fewer tiles available to us. That's all nullified if they're in layer 5 or something, but then it becomes somewhat less clear what they're supposed to be.
b) I'm against an animated lamp, because we need to focus on this being a city, not a castle.

JCF Member

Oct 15, 2011, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit View Post
what they're supposed to be
Example level, anyone?
Toni_

JCF Member

Oct 15, 2011, 12:06 PM
Ahh, blame me for not cutting the image. I just forgot to do it.

Sorry Sir Ementaler. I know that you spent a lot of work on making your fountain, but I had to break it on a half.

Someone edit the water in fountain. I really sucked in making it.

JCF Member

Oct 15, 2011, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Example level, anyone?
I recently tried making an example level but the palette is all messed up. We don't have Jazz's colors in there and the transparency stuff is all misplaced. I might get to work soon on fixing the palette because I'll be needing to grab stuff off of the default colors.

EDIT: I might also want to seriously bring up the topic of the mushrooms. I would have just plainly removed them a while ago, but this is a collaborative project and doing so could have sparked a flame war and we all know what happened before. I think the mushrooms look out of place, number one, and number two, what the hell are they doing glowing?

JCF Member

Oct 15, 2011, 09:41 PM
About the palette: The one I posted a little while ago had the Jazz 2 palette, but it's probably gone now.
About the mushrooms: I guess they're a little out of place on the stone, but what if we were to put them in the snow?
About the hexagons: Unless we keep layer 5 for these(which is probably a bad idea) then we should try to make a new pattern, I think. They're a little too impractical. Although, I think that doing something other than octagons would be good.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post
About the mushrooms: I guess they're a little out of place on the stone, but what if we were to put them in the snow?
Mushrooms are out of place, indeed. Can I ask you, Obi, did you see mushrooms in the snow anywhere on the world? As far as I know, they grow only after the rain (95% of mushrooms). Some mushrooms grows under the ground. To be honest, I have never seen mushrooms in the snow.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 03:26 AM
95% of mushrooms grow on the wall of my room. I don't understand your doubts about them growing on a rock or in snow.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 03:50 AM
@JARU
I know they don't grow in snow, but it makes a little more sense than on a flat stone surface, doesn't it? Either way, we'll need some snow eyecandy of some sort. Any suggestions, other than the obligatory snowmen?

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 04:18 AM
Well okay. Some carts would be good, it's an old ruined city, and inbefore a lot of people used to use carts with horses. Of course, we don't need a horse. Some sleds could be good instead of adding snow on carts.

Quote:
95% of mushrooms grow on the wall of my room. I don't understand your doubts about them growing on a rock or in snow.
If you have mushrooms in your room like this ones on the tileset, then you must live in a jungle, and your walls must be made of ground and wood. But, if you mean on a small invisible-by-eye mushrooms, then you're alright.

Last edited by Toni_; Oct 16, 2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Didn't see Sir Ementaler's post.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 05:42 AM
Random Google search result. If those are invisible-by-eye, I have superhuman seeing abilities.

Sorry for going off-topic, I'll try to post some cave tiles soon.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 05:51 AM
On the contrary, SE. I'm working on sorting out the palette right now, so please don't post anything up until I post a set with the updated palette. (I might even have an example level ready) I'm very frustrated with the mushrooms as they use a lot of colors, all most of them completely independent of the rest of the tileset's palette. If we all agree then, I'm going to take the mushrooms out.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 05:59 AM
Excuse my ignorance and remind me what's wrong with the palette used in this image?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi1mcd View Post

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I recently tried making an example level but the palette is all messed up. We don't have Jazz's colors in there and the transparency stuff is all misplaced.
D

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Excuse my ignorance and remind me what's wrong with the palette used in this image?:
Pretty sure Palette Suite or whatever Sean's using to extract it is doing it strangely. Either way I've sent him a fixed up version.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 06:13 AM
Seren
This message has been deleted by Sir Ementaler. Reason: Ninja'd *again*.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 06:17 AM
He's got a working copy of that exact palette now, so everything should be fine.
A couple of things to note about that one:
The palette lines around 144 and 160 are for the mushrooms, but I planned to replace them. The first with the brown from the buildings, and the second with either the hexagons or something else.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 06:26 AM

Reduced version. I used my own version of the palette, but you can use the old palette to correct any mapping errors. The mushrooms now use the same colors as the snow and the ground (with the exception of the glowing mushroom, it still has its own colors).

EDIT: Yay, example level! The aqueducts don't merge in well with the foreground though. They could use darkening.

Last edited by Sean; Oct 16, 2011 at 07:10 AM.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 07:29 AM
Okay, fixed up the palette, as it came up with an odd layout on my end, and changed one or two things.

Here's a list of things that need doing:
The aqueducts need fixing/redrawing, as they don't tile vertically.
An alternate cave background. I think SE was about to do so, so that would be good.
More destruct scenery. Perhaps drawn differently?
A background layout would be a good idea, or at least some discussion on one.
More statues, probably of Devan?

And I dunno if the fountain needs water coming out of it. It's been broken for so long it wouldn't do anything anymore

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 07:41 AM

Some lovely landmarks in Rome for reference/inspiration for backgrounds.

To top it all off, a panorama.

All courtesy of Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 08:48 AM
That city might be fun to freerun in, but I don't think our octagonal tiles fit in a Roman style...

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 09:12 AM
We're obviously not going for too much realism, but we can use a few of the images for reference for backgrounds, for example.

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 06:35 PM
Alright. So instead of bantering back and forth about not being able to find the palette, I put it right there inside the PNG file. Right there.

I based this completely off the palette Obi sent me, except for a little colors I reduced in the post somewhere above. So we have less colors.

Obi, can you get the palette off this one correctly?

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 08:35 PM
Why didn't you just use a palette on that .png file? :P

JCF Member

Oct 16, 2011, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Obi, can you get the palette off this one correctly?
No. What program are you using for the art itself? Also, if you download the image, is its palette messed up for you too?
And on the palette reductions: One of the mushrooms now uses a colour from the snow's palette line.

JCF Member

Oct 17, 2011, 07:49 AM
Oh well, I can redraw the aqueduct if you want. I'm not really used to work like that, the mushrooms idea was random, and I like to put random things into tilesets. Actually I was even going to make a big mushrooms covered with snow, rabbits could jump or run on it. I decided that it's bad idea because it seems, that tilesets for a game overruned with rabbits jumping with a big guns and shooting turtles are supposed to have much more common sense... Well, I dont mind anyway.

I am also going to draw a background for layer8, and here is the question: what about resolution for the background image? And what would you like to see in the background? We can also use normal textured background if you want, but I think that much more suitable for this set would be hand-drawn background.

JCF Member

Oct 17, 2011, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktos. View Post
I am also going to draw a background for layer8, and here is the question: what about resolution for the background image? And what would you like to see in the background? We can also use normal textured background if you want, but I think that much more suitable for this set would be hand-drawn background.
Idea steal combo 640x480 (which amounts to 20x15 tiles) and also "colloseum" plz kthxbai.

Obi, the mushrooms using the snow colors was intended. You can of course change it back if you don't think that's a good idea.

JCF Member

Oct 17, 2011, 07:59 AM
Main issue is that I want to keep bits of art from using different palette lines. For example, if we change the snow to sand, the mushrooms will have a few pixels of yellow/brown in the middle of them.
Obviously not a huge deal, but it's good to be consistent.

JCF Member

Oct 17, 2011, 08:18 AM
3 cave tiles, a missing octagon in the snow tile and a hippeastrum. Yes, I put a huge tropical flower in the middle of our snowy ruins and I'm proud of it. It could look better, I was drawing it without referencing to the current tiles at all so I forgot to draw outline and had to add it later, which obviously reduced its quality.

JCF Member

Oct 17, 2011, 06:24 PM
Naw. It looks good.