Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » General Jazz Jackrabbit Talk

Dear J2O Downloaders, You're all shallow.

JCF Member

DarkSonic is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2006, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder
Get out of my thread,shoo shoo,dam camou's thease days,everywhere.
It's not your thread.

And I agree. I don't like hotels, although I am not saying that hotels are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Jarno View Post
What is Distopia

JCF Member

Blackraptor is an asset to this forumBlackraptor is an asset to this forum

Jul 9, 2006, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
Your review doesn't count, Blacky, since its rating got removed and, you must agree, it was much crappier than the one on IC.

WR pretty much all the reviews for n00bs upload are similar to mine. And you kinda missed the point too, it's still a review.

JCF Member

Speeza is an asset to this forumSpeeza is an asset to this forum

Jul 9, 2006, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b
Ryder can you please stbu and just not reply here anymore?
noob stop being yourself.

Your friendly JCF Hillybilly
DavidkazBest poster of 2010 ! [GpW]

JCF Member

KRSplat is a forum legendKRSplat is a forum legend

Jul 9, 2006, 09:40 AM
Guys, stop being so shallow. This thread isn't about how many people like Faw, or how much you like hotels. This thread is about how reviews suck nowadays.

Maybe J2O should allow unsupported ratings, just to stimulate reviewers.

JCF Member

White Rabbit is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2006, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraptor
WR pretty much all the reviews for n00bs upload are similar to mine. And you kinda missed the point too, it's still a review.
You said that it took you 'about 5 seconds to download the wallpaper and about another 10 seconds to look at it and type up a review', and 'On the other hand, it took me over an hour...to review the IC battle pack, and a LOT more thinking and such too.'

You truthfully said that 'Anyone can take 15 seconds to look at a picture and post a witty (or not so witty) comment in reply to it, but not everyone feels like spending an hour to play through and criticize a level or level pack'.

Why doesn't it take you 10 seconds to look at a level and type up a review? Why doesn't it take you over an hour to review a wallpaper? I think your answer would be that you (and everyone else who thinks it's too time consuming to review) have failed to take into account that you can write just as much for a wallpaper as you can for a level pack and that the minumum requirements of a valid review are still very low (there's absolutely no requirement to play MP levels online or to even have finished a singleplayer episode, when reviewing), provided your ratings aren't too extreme.

I said 'Your review doesn't count, Blacky, since its rating got removed and, you must agree, it was much crappier than the one on IC' because the two reviews cannot be compared fairly. When reviewing the wallpaper, you haven't even reached the minimum requirements of a review, you've given it a 10, and you've got promptly edited. The fact that almost everyone else did the same as you is no defence. When reviewing the level pack, you've actually spent time and effort, but I bet you'd have to think harder and spend more time if your wallpaper review was going to be as long and probing as your IC pack review.

You can say the bare minumum still makes for bad reviews, but that's still better than neglecting quality uploads in favour of a joke wallpaper with a joke review and (I'm no longer talking to you, Blacky) leave it like that, like so many other people have done.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2006, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit
You said that it took you 'about 5 seconds to download the wallpaper and about another 10 seconds to look at it and type up a review', and 'On the other hand, it took me over an hour...to review the IC battle pack, and a LOT more thinking and such too.'

You truthfully said that 'Anyone can take 15 seconds to look at a picture and post a witty (or not so witty) comment in reply to it, but not everyone feels like spending an hour to play through and criticize a level or level pack'.

Why doesn't it take you 10 seconds to look at a level and type up a review? Why doesn't it take you over an hour to review a wallpaper? I think your answer would be that you (and everyone else who thinks it's too time consuming to review) have failed to take into account that you can write just as much for a wallpaper as you can for a level pack and that the minumum requirements of a valid review are still very low (there's absolutely no requirement to play MP levels online or to even have finished a singleplayer episode, when reviewing), provided your ratings aren't too extreme.

I said 'Your review doesn't count, Blacky, since its rating got removed and, you must agree, it was much crappier than the one on IC' because the two reviews cannot be compared fairly. When reviewing the wallpaper, you haven't even reached the minimum requirements of a review, you've given it a 10, and you've got promptly edited. The fact that almost everyone else did the same as you is no defence. When reviewing the level pack, you've actually spent time and effort, but I bet you'd have to think harder and spend more time if your wallpaper review was going to be as long and probing as your IC pack review.

You can say the bare minumum still makes for bad reviews, but that's still better than neglecting quality uploads in favour of a joke wallpaper with a joke review and (I'm no longer talking to you, Blacky) leave it like that, like so many other people have done.
*Claps* well done for explaining a straight foward thing to a noob,now noob do you see why,or does WR have to right another thing to help you?

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2006, 09:57 AM
The thing is WR, n00b was complaining about how his upload was receiving so many reviews and how we should have used the time to review other uploads instead. I dont think people spent more than 10 seconds on their reviews for his upload though, really, so his statement about how people are able to put in time to review his upload but not other quality ones doesn't make a really strong point as the majority of his reviews werent even serious or longer than two sentences and shouldn't even be considered reviews.

And there are more aspects to a level than to a wallpaper that wasn't even made seriously, so a level would obviously take longer to write up a review for.

Therefore, people are able to take 10 seconds out of their time to look at a picture and post a comment, but playing through a level and reviewing it takes considerably more work no matter how you write your reviews and not everyone is willing to do that, which is why you can't really compare the wallpaper to a quality upload with few reviews in its current state imo.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2006, 10:02 AM
Quote:
The thing is WR, n00b was complaining about how his upload was receiving so many reviews and how we should have used the time to review other uploads instead. I dont think people spent more than 10 seconds on their reviews for his upload though, really, so his statement about how people are able to put in time to review his upload but not other quality ones doesn't make a really strong point as the majority of his reviews werent even serious or longer than two sentences and shouldn't even be considered reviews.

And there are more aspects to a level than to a wallpaper that wasn't even made seriously, so a level would obviously take longer to write up a review for.

Therefore, people are able to take 10 seconds out of their time to look at a picture and post a comment, but playing through a level and reviewing it takes considerably more work no matter how you write your reviews and not everyone is willing to do that, which is why you can't really compare the wallpaper to a quality upload with few reviews in its current state imo.
Well what do you expect? look at it (-). for god sake

n00b

JCF Veteran

n00b is an asset to this forumn00b is an asset to this forum

Jul 9, 2006, 10:52 AM
Quote:

Ok, before we continue this discussion I would like to make sure you understand that I was also complaining how extremely well done packs get the same ammount of reviews.
It seems that you're only focusing on half of my point imo.
Strato

JCF Member

Strato is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2006, 10:56 AM
Guys, this is completly aside from the point. It's true, reviews have been going downhill for ages by now. At this point, most of the reviewing is done by people who are inexperienced at being able to tell a bad level from a good level. Therfore, the range of ratings is both innacurate and all over the place, with 1's and 9+'s common place. The point is that it's not about the quality of reviews going down hill, it's more or the less the quality of reviewers.

The only way to remedy this is to either have more of the older people who are more experienced with reviewing to get motivated back into reviewing levels. Also, there can be sort of a guide to how to make a good review in JCS, showing common flaws in levels that should be addressed if they appear in a download and what rating to be given accordingly.
Chiyu

JCF member

Chiyu has disabled reputation

Jul 9, 2006, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplat
Guys, stop being so shallow. This thread isn't about how many people like Faw, or how much you like hotels. This thread is about how reviews suck nowadays.

Maybe J2O should allow unsupported ratings, just to stimulate reviewers.
I agree, there were lots and lots more reviews before.

JCF Member

DarkSonic is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2006, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiyu
I agree, there were lots and lots more reviews before.
But then again, those reviews were also pretty short. If you post a review with a few lines now the rating will be removed. It was very normal at the start of J2O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Jarno View Post
What is Distopia

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Jul 9, 2006, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strato
Also, there can be sort of a guide to how to make a good review in JCS,
o.O

Hey, that wallpaper's a lot better than I thought it was from the reviews. You people really do suck at being descriptive.

JCF Éminence Grise

Fawriel is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2006, 03:36 PM
Hehe, yeah. It's obvious that it's an attempt at making it look crappy by someone who can actually do a lot better.

JCF Veteran

Jul 9, 2006, 04:16 PM
I think we should keep in mind that most of those people haven't even set foot in the Art fourm, so they probably thought it was an honest effort.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2006, 05:06 PM
Ryder: Way to support my point and try to insult me at the same time. gj m8 :))

and KRSplat: would you really want people rating your files a 10 or 1 for no reason at all, and not know what you did that people liked or where you went wrong? I think its the review that matters most, not the rating.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2006, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Rabbit
*Pointing out my flaws*
Err...Vio is biased towards Mono D<

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2006, 05:51 PM
Quote:
and KRSplat: would you really want people rating your files a 10 or 1 for no reason at all, and not know what you did that people liked or where you went wrong? I think its the review that matters most, not the rating.
No. However I think sometimes people don't review levels because they are afraid that their rating will be removed if they don't write a lengthy review.

...It's just a theory.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2006, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRSplat
No. However I think sometimes people don't review levels because they are afraid that their rating will be removed if they don't write a lengthy review.

...It's just a theory.

I really doubt thats the case. I think most people dont review levels because they're lazy or feel as they have better things to do.

JCF Member

Jul 9, 2006, 07:17 PM
But you could write a short review without much effort.

JCF Member

Camou should make better posts

Jul 9, 2006, 11:54 PM
Quote:
I think we should keep in mind that most of those people haven't even set foot in the Art fourm, so they probably thought it was an honest effort.
Do a wallpaper in your style, it's way better than what you posted. I think you'll get real reviews this way. Also one of the reasons I said it was crap, because I saw some of your stuff on your DA.

@Jamster, go cry to your mom.

JCF Member

NovaStar is doing well so far

Jul 9, 2006, 11:57 PM
Nicely worded!
Let's just forget about this and review properly from now on.

JCF Veteran

Jul 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRed
Do a wallpaper in your style, it's way better than what you posted. I think you'll get real reviews this way. Also one of the reasons I said it was crap, because I saw some of your stuff on your DA.
You're missing the obvious point on why it was crappily done.
If I did it in my own style it wouldn't be as humorous, and I think you shouldn't be taking it so (-) seriously.

In other news, I'm saddened no one has pointed out my Bjarni Reference obviously tacked onto the Wallpaper.
Strato

JCF Member

Jul 10, 2006, 08:56 AM
It's there for people to see. Why should it get pointed out?
n00b

JCF Veteran

Jul 10, 2006, 09:09 AM
The whole wallpaper is there for people to see, why the hell did a good part of the reviews feel the need to point out the rest of it?
Camou

JCF Member

Camou should make better posts

Jul 11, 2006, 10:00 AM
Quote:
You're missing the obvious point on why it was crappily done.
If I did it in my own style it wouldn't be as humorous, and I think you shouldn't be taking it so (-) seriously.
You really think I'm being serious? It's always like this. When something bad is uploaded everyone posts fake reviews. That's why -.-

JCF Veteran

Jul 11, 2006, 10:14 AM
But these fake reviews are never witty, useful, funny, or helpful.
They're as much as a waste as they claim the level is.
Sucka_Tube

JCF Member

Sucka_Tube is doing well so far

Jul 17, 2006, 11:57 AM
Quote:
But these fake reviews are never witty, useful, funny, or helpful.
They're as much as a waste as they claim the level is.
They won't put their effort into a review for something that was obviously uploaded as a joke. Such a thing is never witty, useful, funny or helpful either. Why have a review better than the the thing you're reviewing when it's clearly a joke?

And I know that it's been said twice, but still-- people are only really encouraged to review the either really good levels or the really terrible ones. There's one in the download section that doesn't even let you move before it's over, and it's not a cinematic either. This is clearly the world's worst level... so why did I review it? In spite of the creator who likes to waste everyone's time with crap like that. Pfft.
n00b

JCF Veteran

Dec 26, 2007, 07:38 PM
I would like to preface this by saying that I refound this thread in a rather roundabout way. Checking the latest reviews as I do after I review a level to find the particularly terrible reviews so I can think smugly to my ego "Hah, look at this. If they attempted to write an essay about the importance of Washington on the Potomac, they would surely not get the scholorship" I found a review for my terrible wallpaper that sparked this discussion. Granted this discussion is even more relevant today since even with quick reviews allowing you to write whatever the hell you want and then slapping a number on it (one quick review cited merely that the level in question had "a lot of stuff") many levels still aren't being reviewed by more than three people. How the hell Akutube found my upload is beyond me, much less where he found the need to review it. Needless to say it led me back to this thread where I found I missed out on a post somehow. Granted it was five days later and I was probably burnt out. However I felt it was necessary to start up a debate, or perhaps correction-fest, over a year later with a guy who probably doesn't give a damn now. Helping me in this was Odin and Novastar who gave me the peer pressure to go through with this notion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucka_Tube View Post
Such a thing is never witty, useful, funny or helpful either.
WRONG, DUNKHEAD (Sucka wouldn't make much sense, thats his name). Such a thing is funny and witty as a good number of reviews for my crappy uploads have said so. Such a thing is also useful since it sparked this discussion which led to a few people actually reviewing actual levels and also community spirit as we all bashed on Faw and then collectively loved him again. Finally, my JCS Beginner User's guide is helpful since it pretty much summed up everything NOT to do in your level in visual form (I.E. linear designs in the strictest sense of the word, rows of enemies, harmful objects everywhere for "difficulty", every boss ever in one room), however I guess not enough people actually used it since I still see some of those bad level cliches appearing every now and again.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Dec 26, 2007, 07:49 PM
Dear n00b, you dowloaded one of my level packs 9000 times. J2O downloaders may be shallow, but at least they are not completely insane.

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
n00b

JCF Veteran

Dec 26, 2007, 07:55 PM
Dear Evilmike, I have shunned your download pages for a few months now. Now is not the time to complain over something I may or may not have done back in March.

JCF Member

EvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHARTEvilMike is OFF DA CHART

Dec 27, 2007, 12:03 AM
i havent even uploaded anything for a few months now

Visit My JJ2 Blog (HOLD YOUR HORSES I'M WORKING ON IT SHEESH)
n00b

JCF Veteran

Dec 27, 2007, 08:04 AM
Precisely why I've been shunning them.