Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Maintenance & Feedback » JJ2+ Issue Tracker

Feature Request 3 Command line arguments suggestions

Spaz Electro

JCF Member

Spaz Electro has disabled reputation

Nov 26, 2023, 05:45 AM
Lightbulb 3 Command line arguments suggestions

Here are 3 of my suggestions for command line arguments, they would be amazingly helpful for my program!
1: -nosplash: hides the splash screen that pops up when you're opening the game
2: -background: starts the game in the state of being in the tray and so it doesn't show the game window (until you interact with the tray icon)
3: -noexec: doesn't run scripts BUT logs errors still

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Nov 26, 2023, 09:55 AM
Skipping the splash screen is what -menu should probably do. I think it was simply easier to convince the game to go to the splash screen instead of the root menu directly, but at some point it'll be possible to change that.

Your description of -background sounds identical to -minimize.

I have no idea what the use case for -noexec would be. At minimum, you'd only get compile-time errors like this, no runtime errors. But even so, what would be the point?

JCF Member

Seren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to allSeren is a name known to all

Nov 27, 2023, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
I think it was simply easier to convince the game to go to the splash screen instead of the root menu directly
It's not spelled out in the post but from context I suspect the splash screen in question is the loading one that shows up before the actual game window does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet CLM View Post
But even so, what would be the point?
It's toolchain integration. Allows for reliable live error highlighting from a text editor.

Obviously regularly running an instance of JJ2+ to check code for errors should sound like overkill. I thought about this at one point and came to conclusion that ideally plus.dll would expose a public DLL function that allows third-party tools to instantiate an AngelScript engine identical to the one used by the game, but that is likely more effort for very niche use cases.

I am an official JJ2+ programmer and this has been an official JJ2+ statement.
Spaz Electro

JCF Member

Nov 28, 2023, 06:45 AM
@Seren, Indeed that's the purpose of both, #1 The loading splash screen pops up even with -minimize, Also, -minimize sometimes just randomly breaks, #2 I want to integrate live error highlighting into my application Spazlint without running the code, it'd be REALLY helpful

EDIT: Another cool thing would be if -noexec was also a command

Last edited by Spaz Electro; Nov 28, 2023 at 06:46 AM. Reason: additional

JCF Éminence Grise

Violet CLM has disabled reputation

Nov 28, 2023, 10:38 AM
If you're hosting a server and don't want to run angelscript, you can disable /plusonly and/or /latestversiononly. Doing that won't evaluate scripts for compile errors... it could be changed to do so, I guess, but I don't see how that would benefit anyone. Also the levels may look pretty obviously messed up with pieces of them not loaded properly. The best way to play without angelscript is to disable all mutators and play levels that don't have scripts in the first place.

If -minimize "randomly breaks," that's a good thing to know about. How consistent is it for you--can you do the same thing twice, and one time -minimize breaks and one time it doesn't?

JCF Member

Nov 28, 2023, 11:48 AM
Sure, what about -noexec though? You reckon it'll be added anytime soon? Also, running the game with -minimize only just doesn't work, as in the game tries to minimize itself, but then goes back to regular, It happens every single time, but with -menu it doesn't happen at all.

Last edited by Spaz Electro; Nov 28, 2023 at 11:49 AM. Reason: easier to understand