Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   JazzJackrabbit Community Forums » Open Forums » Beyond Jazz Jackrabbit 2

GraVital - Ambitious Arcade Game in Progress

JCF Member

FoxBlitzz is doing well so far

Jun 14, 2005, 07:49 PM
GraVital - Ambitious Arcade Game in Progress

GraVital is a game I am creating using Multimedia Fusion where the goal is to move a gravity-affected ball to the blue glow in each level. However, there will be many walls, and if you collide with a wall that does not have a stable platform on it, you are moved back to the start. No fear, as these are small levels I'm talking about. There will be 120 of them, each split into 8 worlds. Along the way, you must deal with doors, switches, colored warps, bumpers, moving walls, and try to collect as many glowing balls as you can, while getting to the end in the fastest time possible.

The game is named after the plug-in Vitalize which is able to play Multimedia Fusion and The Games Factory on the web. However, I've also decided to release a stand-alone offline version of the game aswell. Estimated release date is unknown.

The reason I am making this game is because I have played a Flash game with the same concept, which was quite sloppy. There was bad level design, badly positioned and resized objects, and not a good job of coding (Honestly, what can you expect from a scripting language that revolves around animation?). I wondered if I could do a better job (Which I obviously am) by making a game with a similar goal in mind but done much more neatly. In my game, the code is math-based, not animation based, the levels are grid-based, not sloppy-based, and with my seven years experience of using game-creation tools, I know game design.

One of the obstacles I will face is publicity. I had decided that Vitalize isn't really mainstream, and a stand-alone executable version was in order. I am planning on releasing the game to as many sites as possible so that the whole world will be able to try this exciting game.

And of course, I have screenshots. Where I come from, you don't have a good preview unless you have something to show, so here:

Engine Test Level:

This is what happens if you hit a bumper straight on and bounce perfectly upwards.

Newer version of the top HUD bar which has an extra minutes digit and has fixed limits for penalty and total time elapsed:

This is of an older version which has no HUD and has the glowing goal a different shade of blue that the current.

More info is available through my journal.

And no, I am not Japanese.

[22:25] [AkuKitsune] monobot be useful
[22:25] [Monobot] Unable to comply.

ShadeJackrabbit ShadeJackrabbit's Avatar

JCF Member

ShadeJackrabbit is doing well so far

Jun 15, 2005, 03:43 AM
cool game!
I wanna download it when it's done.

Stop talking sense, this is an internet argument. ~Doubble Dutch

JCF Member

Sacrush is doing well so far

Jun 15, 2005, 07:41 AM
screens looks good.

JCF Member

Jun 15, 2005, 08:55 AM
By the way, here's a link to my previous game:

http://www.clickteam.info/scoreserve...php?gameID=791

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Jun 15, 2005, 10:48 AM
Very nice design, good consistent style and nice quirky animations and clean sound...you do like to boast about yourself a bit though !
Not that I disagree man, its obvious you know game design, but just sounds a tad pretentious
Sorry if it sounds like im being an (-) !
Good game though, look ofrward to playing the new one.

JCF Member

Jun 15, 2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I just felt like capping off at all of those badly done Flash games. :P It's hard to find one that's well done.

JCF Member

Baggers is doing well so far

Jun 15, 2005, 12:25 PM
hehe quite true !